• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Musilla

Mask cringe dude in death stranding, chief of the flw in tlou2, the black dude you interrogate in detroit but i think there is another black dude in that game, not sure.

Morales on ps5 only should demolish these models but at best has slightly better hair tech.

Cmon buddy, a throw away character with one line of dialogue in hfw looks as realistic if not better than morales, you don't wanna start a screenshot war, insomniac realistic character rendering is not their strong suit, especially for non-main protagonist characters, they always look a bit off and they are inbetween realistic and slightly cartoony, even more so than ND with uncharted.

(ratchet was good but was full pixar style)

Fhdz3OxXkAEYzoH.jpg:large

You can gift my gold to someone who never had it, i can pay for my own gold.
This is probably the best acting I've ever seen in a video game.
JHL9Ksp.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
JHL9Ksp.gif
I prefer the digital acting in tlou2, the moment when edgie find out that joel saved her fucking life she visually gasp in what is probably the most realistic face expression i ever seen, and their faces just look more human and less hollywood robots than kojima.

Also i can't really take seriously kojima and his script, no matter how good the digital acting is or how much the actor hammered the role, it just devalue everything for me, that scene can basically be summed in "i was no homo gay for mads that saved my ass many times but sorry i still prefer real pussy" , i got a good chuckle out of it :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

shamoomoo

Protagonist of a single player cinematic game vs random quest giver in a wrpg. You would think there would be a generational leap given how some people are praising spiderman, and trashing starfield, but they roughly look on par.

EBLtXvC.jpg

The material and even shader quality in Starfield is actually very advanced. The problem is that the game has hundreds of these quest givers and they just couldnt put in the time and effort making them all look great, let alone animate them individually. Of course, Spiderman has like 6 characters total and while MJ got that next gen hair, miles' mom was shafted with a last gen haircut. (insomniac's tech director's words. not mine)

the skin shaders and material quality on his hat are somehow better than spiderman 2. They might not have been able to add HFW's style mocap and facial expressions, but im really glad to see them use higher quality models and hero lighting in these dialogue scenes.

F6RK0JrW4AAdOqm
Does anyone else think Miles looks halfway between photo real and game-y? Both character models look good but the lighting makes Miles seem more real and less waxy.

GymWolf

Gold Member
T
Does anyone else think Miles looks halfway between photo real and game-y? Both character models look good but the lighting makes Miles seem more real and less waxy.
That example is shit, spidey characters look obviously better than starfield.

He should have used horizon 2 that is crossgen so technically inferior to starfield to umiliate spidey 2 characters.

Only thing good about starfield character are some good looking armours, the actual human models are trash for modern standards.

Even that ultra cherry picked shot of the chick with the red leather jacket is way less impressive than how he think it is (and the face still look like crap)

IDWhite

A blind man can see that SM2 global illumination is a generational leap above it's predecessor. Cool to see you coming around all the same.
They still using baked global illumination (upgraded). There is no generational leap on that side.

A generational leap on lighting is to go from baked to realtime multi bounce ray tracing.

The only generational leap they´ve made since Ps4 spiderman is the addition of RT reflections and the near instant loading times.

RaduN

JHL9Ksp.gif
No fucking contest.

Tlou, Uncharted, HZD and others, go too much, too often in the exagerrated cartooney facial animations territory.
This however, was absolutely mind blowing. First time i saw it, i couldn't believe i was still watching an animated video game character.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Some of the starfield screens look great to me. They are good technically, and great with the architecture and art direction. Go ahead and compare it to spider-man, but the only thing they have in common is that they are uneven, both with good and bad screens.

As for spider-man, this is a repeat of the first one for me. I initially thought the first one was inferior graphically to hzd. Horizon had some real punch you in the face graphics. Something about it. Spider-man didn't have that punch. But the closer I looked, especially when I finally got to see it running live in front of me, I saw the graphics are at least as good as horizon but in a different way. Aside from the character faces, though. idk what's going on there. They should call guerilla about that.

Spider-man running on a ps4 with the upscaling, motion blur, models, and more was all really good. With sm2, it doesn't get to compare to the original ps4 version because reasons. So it's compared to sm remastered on ps5. Compared to that, sm2 looks like it's had the improvements evenly spread through the image. It's still that style that doesn't punch you in the face like horizon or last of us, but when I look closely, it looks better than the excellent sm remastered in every way. The improvements are spread out and everything is just enough to notice. Compared to the first game, it's the type of generational increase I would expect since games are running at 60 now.

There are some spots where the improvements aren't very noticeable. Then there are shots like the swinging through the city posted above, that are showing a clear difference. I see some people don't think it is, but I think if they played 2 for awhile and went back to 1, they would see a big difference. The most noticeable is better shadows. Then after that, the lighting is better, then the materials. Everything else is also better though, even with the clearly increased world density.

But then you get that lizard fight. Now that might be the best shit I've ever seen. I like post affects and they are slathered all over there. Spider-man and lizard where set so convincingly into the scene. The lizard's teeth and gums is a halo grass moment. When he climbs up the wall and the sun is shining on him through the skylight it shows what a game like gow could do with this since it can set up all the scenes just right. And then it's all dunked in that awesome motion blur. If you freeze frame, you can see the blur all over and it actually doesn't look that good, like every blurred object is being masked out and it looks nasty. But when the game is running, you can't see that and it looks fantastic.

I think wolverine could look better, but it's going to be another small round of improvements. If you don't think sm2 -at it's best- looks like a generational improvement at this stage of diminishing returns, then you are going to be waiting a while for that game that finally does it. Maybe something will pop out of nowhere that blows our minds but I don't think there is a ton of gas beyond this in a ps5. Ay least without games going max 30fps.
Nah, spiderman 1 on ps4 vs the remastered is mostly the same. You can watch comparisons of it on youtube. Slightly better textures on buildings, some better looking character models, but nothing big other than RT reflections. I posted some screenshots of mine from back when i played it in 2018. It really looked that good.

There are some improvements here. No doubt, but compare Horizon 2 to Horizon 1 within the same generation and the difference is staggering. Here the difference in minimal at best despite having 5x more tflops and roughly 8x more GPU power.

The lizard boss fight thats impressing you lot is virtually identical to what we saw in PS4 boss fights. The game just had great looking cutscenes. I bet if you saw these gifs today, you guys would call them next gen.

3d030c42d88c1e337fe61d22b8985f2f.gif

7189360-862868e8-a850-422a-89d5-c7ef069cc5ab.gif

6gUV68K.gif

KfXa7Z8.gif

Schmendrick

Man this gen must be the most boring one in terms of graphical discussion, ever. We`ve been literally splitting hairs for a hundred pages here even sinking so incredibly low as to dragging cutscenes into the discussion for comparisons because there hasn`t been a "bam! Next gen" moment like we`ve had it in all gens prior.
To think that we`re 3 years into this console cycle and the most "next gen"-tech in actual games we`ve seen so far (on consoles) is the Nanite implementation in some AA games ....

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
No fucking contest.

Tlou, Uncharted, HZD and others, go too much, too often in the exagerrated cartooney facial animations territory.
This however, was absolutely mind blowing. First time i saw it, i couldn't believe i was still watching an animated video game character.
What?

Troy baker and this black dude hammered the role like no one business, the acting from tlou2 characters is way less bombastic and more intimate.

Edgie does all the weight lifting in this scene, joel is not as expressive as her, they really fucked up his old man model.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

T

That example is shit, spidey characters look obviously better than starfield.

He should have used horizon 2 that is crossgen so technically inferior to starfield to umiliate spidey 2 characters.

Only thing good about starfield character are some good looking armours, the actual human models are trash for modern standards.

Even that ultra cherry picked shot of the chick with the red leather jacket is way less impressive than how he think it is (and the face still look like crap)
Spidermans characters dont look generationally better than starfield's characters is the point. Despite being an wrpg with almost a hundred voiced characters. Not to mention how the skin shaders are undoubtedly last gen even compared to Starfield which is at least using better skin shaders. That should simply not happen.

Of course horizon's character models trash Spiderman's. Thats not the point. Alan Wake 2 has better character models. FF16's character models look better in cutscenes. The point is that they are being outdone by fucking bethesda in terms of technology when Bethesda is being trashed here (on gaf, not in this thread) on a daily basis. Hell, i even saw that there is loading when entering and exiting interiors in spiderman. Didnt we just destroy (and rightfully so) starfield over this?

And dont you dare talk shit about my waifu Sarah. She looks phenomenal in that cherry picked screenshot. As a matter of fact, go fuck your black guys you love so much.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
There are some improvements here. No doubt, but compare Horizon 2 to Horizon 1 within the same generation and the difference is staggering. Here the difference in minimal at best despite having 5x more tflops and roughly 8x more GPU power.

You are confusing tech advancement with resource allocation. The leap from HZD to HFW appeared bigger because HZD had only half the budget of SM 2018. Why was this the case? Because Horizon was a new IP with more risk (not to mention prior GG release KZ2 was considered a failure), whereas Spiderman has been a proven franchise for decades. When HFW got the greenlight, the budget quadrupled from $50mil to $200m. That generational leap you keep referencing is simply Guerrilla getting on even ground with Insomniac for production funding.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Spidermans characters dont look generationally better than starfield's characters is the point. Despite being an wrpg with almost a hundred voiced characters. Not to mention how the skin shaders are undoubtedly last gen even compared to Starfield which is at least using better skin shaders. That should simply not happen.

Of course horizon's character models trash Spiderman's. Thats not the point. Alan Wake 2 has better character models. FF16's character models look better in cutscenes. The point is that they are being outdone by fucking bethesda in terms of technology when Bethesda is being trashed here (on gaf, not in this thread) on a daily basis. Hell, i even saw that there is loading when entering and exiting interiors in spiderman. Didnt we just destroy (and rightfully so) starfield over this?

And dont you dare talk shit about my waifu Sarah. She looks phenomenal in that cherry picked screenshot. As a matter of fact, go fuck your black guys you love so much.
She looks like she is 60 and waiting to get his retirement check at the post office, deal with it.

I don't really think starfield has better skin tech than spidey, you posted a screen of daddy osbourne and he clearly look better than any starfield character.

Starfield characters look like mannequins.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

She looks like she is 60 and waiting to get his retirement check at the post office, deal with it.

I don't really think starfield has better skin tech than spidey, you posted a screen of daddy osbourne and he clearly look better than any starfield character.
I actually saw this youtube short searching for some starfield character models last night. It shows just how good their skin shaders are. Just a shame that you never see you character in dialogue scenes when the enable higher quality character models and hero lighting.

Someone actually made todd howard in the character creator. This has to be one of the best character creators out there.

0a5a0-16924605825606-1920.jpg

GymWolf

Gold Member
I actually saw this youtube short searching for some starfield character models last night. It shows just how good their skin shaders are. Just a shame that you never see you character in dialogue scenes when the enable higher quality character models and hero lighting.

Someone actually made todd howard in the character creator. This has to be one of the best character creators out there.

It looks like a fucking doll with no pores.

He could steal barbie from ken any day of the week.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

lol those classic insomniac bullshots.
Expectation:
nN4yG11.jpg

Reality:
FW5BSH9.jpg

If they had put this much effort improving their engine like they did touching up these bullshots, we might actually see better looking buildings.
ffs , some of them even have the same dirt textures :messenger_tears_of_joy:
they could have at least tried to make them look more different the 2 white buildings in the front with brown dirt look the same except for the roof , thats just lazy

shamoomoo

The right image looks fake.

RaduN

What?

Troy baker and this black dude hammered the role like no one business, the acting from tlou2 characters is way less bombastic and more intimate.

Edgie does all the weight lifting in this scene, joel is not as expressive as her, they really fucked up his old man model.

If you don't see the amount of shit (in terms of realism that is) that's wrong with facial animations in that scene, there's not much i can say. It looks clean, fluidly animated, no doubt, but realistic and subtle? Far and away from it.

The DieHardman scene is in another league entirely. Fragile and Cliff also have some untouchable (yet) scenes, well above anything else in the industry.

eNT1TY

I almost wish the entire game took place inside ships because the lighting and asset quality in these sections is truly next gen. its one of those rare games that didnt downgrade interiors for the sake of the outdoor open world. This is like playing next gen The Order 1886.

UYc4w9f.gif

F1mxSck.gif
These look decent at best, interiors in Guardians of the Galaxy look better. If people were as forgiving to their peers as you are to Starfield the world would be a better place.

SlimySnake

These look decent at best, interiors in Guardians of the Galaxy look better. If people were as forgiving to their peers as you are to Starfield the world would be a better place.
I think Guardians is a gorgeous looking game, very underrated and its ship graphics are pretty damn awesome for a last gen title. But there is only one ship and most other interiors dont look nearly as good. The lighting in those areas was fairly last gen. Asset quality too. Their ship got the most love but even that is well behind most ships you can pilot in starfield.

Ch14_%281%29.png

53193939198_0bf4f3fc93_o.png

But i might be misremembering it so i will put it in to check it out.

Crayon

Nah, spiderman 1 on ps4 vs the remastered is mostly the same. You can watch comparisons of it on youtube. Slightly better textures on buildings, some better looking character models, but nothing big other than RT reflections. I posted some screenshots of mine from back when i played it in 2018. It really looked that good.

The lizard boss fight thats impressing you lot is virtually identical to what we saw in PS4 boss fights. The game just had great looking cutscenes. I bet if you saw these gifs today, you guys would call them next gen.

3d030c42d88c1e337fe61d22b8985f2f.gif

7189360-862868e8-a850-422a-89d5-c7ef069cc5ab.gif

6gUV68K.gif

KfXa7Z8.gif

The first game looked awesome, and when you do the small improvements like you said on PS5, it looks better than most games coming out. But if we're comparing Jen over jen, we have to consider that a lot of the power goes into the higher resolution and frame rate. It's actually handy to have remastered as a point of comparison, where you could see them take that same game and take the resolution and frame rate up to what the PS5 can do. Then from there, we get to see a sequel on sequel improvement in the same gen. When I'm thinking of a Jen on Jen improvement, I have to take into account the revolution and frame rate, as well as the ray tracing another small improvements. I'm not saying it's a mind-blowing job, but taking all together, that's the kind of improvement I expected.

For the comparisons you posted above, I should say that I'm equally impressed with the lizard cutscenes in the lizard gameplay. I judge those two a little differently because on cutscenes you get to set everything up right down to the lighting. I'd say if you show me those gifts alone, it would be a close call. I have to see them both side by side.

Edder1

Norman reedus is just standing there lol
Because he is a terrible actor, might as well put a mannequin there. The guy could have his wife killed in front of him and he would just stand there with little emotion. That's not in defense of Death Stranding though, acting is way too dramatic and overdelivered in that game in typical Kojima fashion.

Last edited:

Hugare

Because he is a terrible actor, might as well put a mannequin there. The guy could have his wife killed in front of him and he would just stand there with little emotion.
Its not about his acting, but how he is being directed by Kojima

He is just standing there because Norman was probably not even there when the other actor was recording

Scenes where you think the character should say something but he doesnt is because they are most probably using a digital body double

Same happened with the awkwardly muted Snake in MGS V

They probably didnt have Kiefer all the time to record cutscenes, specially with other actors. So they put Snake there just awkwardly listening to the other character's monologue.

Hugare

Left image is fake

It was being thrown around the internet even before the game launched

But the character creator is indeed really good

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
I think Guardians is a gorgeous looking game, very underrated and its ship graphics are pretty damn awesome for a last gen title. But there is only one ship and most other interiors dont look nearly as good. The lighting in those areas was fairly last gen. Asset quality too. Their ship got the most love but even that is well behind most ships you can pilot in starfield.

Ch14_%281%29.png

53193939198_0bf4f3fc93_o.png

But i might be misremembering it so i will put it in to check it out.

GOTG in RT mode on OLED was such a gorgeous game

GymWolf

Gold Member
Its not about his acting, but how he is being directed by Kojima

He is just standing there because Norman was probably not even there when the other actor was recording

Scenes where you think the character should say something but he doesnt is because they are most probably using a digital body double

Same happened with the awkwardly muted Snake in MGS V

They probably didnt have Kiefer all the time to record cutscenes, specially with other actors. So they put Snake there just awkwardly listening to the other character's monologue.
The downside of directing cutscenes with hollywood actors that are not always available like less known actors.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
What can i expect with a 4080\13600k\32gb ddr5 6000 mhz and dlss 3.5?
4K DLSS performance mode with FG on in Overdrive mode ultra if you want 60fps. Or you could set it to 1440p DLSS quality FG on for cleaner but softer image at 60fps. If you have a Gsync or Freesync monitor than maybe you can push 4K DLSS balance for 50+ fps with FG on.
Do i get 4k dlss quality 60 fps rock solid with overdrive rtx and almost everything on ultra with some things on normal and high?
giphy.gif

GymWolf

Gold Member
I mean, we can only speculate because no one has tried dlss 3.5 yet, right? we don't know how much it help with rtx.

But in case you are right, rtx off and 4k120 here we go.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
I mean, we can only speculate because no one has tried dlss 3.5 yet, right? we don't know how much it help with rtx.
Its not gonna add 10fps in average, it renders the RT faster and more accurate with small performance boost. But i don't expect a big boost in fps tbh.

But in case you are right, rtx off and 4k120 here we go.

RTX 4080 DLSS 3 (4K) average fps​

BenchmarkRTX 4080RTX 4090
Microsoft Flight Simulator6262
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 25858
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 3131156
Cyberpunk 20775874
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + RT5472
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + Psycho RT5067
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + RT82113
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + Psycho RT79107
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 Perf + Psycho RT112141

sorry-mate-bubzkji.gif

HighPoly

Banned
That’s not true dude. 60fps changes the way the games visuals are from the ground up. A 30fps mode is just a touched up version of a 60fps game. Not the other way around
So by your perspective you agree with me, because a game with 30 fps of performance is just a game that could be running at 60fps, and the 60fps mode is just the 30fps game with poor graphics, or lower resolution, or without ray tracing.

Buggy Loop

Man this gen must be the most boring one in terms of graphical discussion, ever. We`ve been literally splitting hairs for a hundred pages here even sinking so incredibly low as to dragging cutscenes into the discussion for comparisons because there hasn`t been a "bam! Next gen" moment like we`ve had it in all gens prior.
To think that we`re 3 years into this console cycle and the most "next gen"-tech in actual games we`ve seen so far (on consoles) is the Nanite implementation in some AA games ....

It's pretty disappointing yeah. Most tech impressive one is Cyberpunk 2077 overdrive but still, not quite the "whole package" i was hoping for all this time with new consoles.

Last gen was almost too good looking.

Fact that there's 214 pages of this thread and not a single game managed to rally everyone is disturbing.

So by your perspective you agree with me, because a game with 30 fps of performance is just a game that could be running at 60fps, and the 60fps mode is just the 30fps game with poor graphics, or lower resolution, or without ray tracing.
Literally the opposite of what I said

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Its not gonna add 10fps in average, it renders the RT faster and more accurate with small performance boost. But i don't expect a big boost in fps tbh.

RTX 4080 DLSS 3 (4K) average fps​

BenchmarkRTX 4080RTX 4090
Microsoft Flight Simulator6262
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 25858
Microsoft Flight Simulator + DLSS 3131156
Cyberpunk 20775874
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + RT5472
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 2 + Psycho RT5067
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + RT82113
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 + Psycho RT79107
Cyberpunk 2077 + DLSS 3 Perf + Psycho RT112141

sorry-mate-bubzkji.gif

Random, but is there any particular reason why the guy in your gif looks very familiar or just coincidence?

HighPoly

Banned
Literally the opposite of what I said
I don't understand why a game that is not a comparison between an open world and a linear game, or an isomatric and a frist person, could be grond up diferent just because of 30 or 60fps.

I know that games are not only poligons, there are so many other things like the artistic concept, and we can find it easelly, even when we are comparing two realistc, or cartoon game. They are always diferent because of the artisct perspective of developers and the engine used.

but 30 to 60, or 60 to 30, I don't understand...

Last edited:

SlimySnake

GOTG in RT mode on OLED was such a gorgeous game
I actually started playing in that mode until i got to the main hub world area and the fps started tanking blow 30 fps. Then switched to the nonRT mode which is a locked 30 fps at native 4k and somehow looked even better than the RT mode which apparently reduces the resolution to 1440p.

SlimySnake

If you guys think ChiefDada is nuts for praising SPiderman and im nuts for praising Starfield, wait till you see John from digital foundry jizz all over Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth. Apparently that was not only the most next gen game at the show, but it is a generational leap over Final Fantasy 7. WHAT. THE. FUCK.

Are these guys delusional? I dont want to make fun of John too much because hes got depression and i dont want to be responsible for another meltdown on twitter, but can we seriously expect DF to critcize or judge these games when they look near identical to the first and yet are hailed as next gen?

I love how the first shot they show of the game as John begins his praise is this:

7SbHNRT.jpg

This fuckface. Him. They said it looks on par with FF7 CG.

Here is what CG looked like in FF7.

xYSaSMB.gif

Top Bottom