• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Visual Modes and Options Briefly Detailed by Sony But Now Removed; Fidelity and Performance Modes

Topher

Gold Member
From the looks of it, Sony briefly detailed the visual modes among other options for the upcoming Spider-Man 2.

As spotted by Insider-Gaming earlier today, the official Spider-Man 2 page on the PlayStation website was recently updated with various additional details about Insomniac's highly-anticipated Spider-Man sequel. Details seemingly included details about the game's accessibility options as well as gameplay and controller options, camera settings, subtitle options, HUD settings, audio settings, and visual options.

Interestingly, the above-mentioned Spider-Man 2 page now only lists accessibility improvements and the other details have likely been removed from the page. Looks like someone uploaded too much text on the website. We tried to find a cached page of Sony's Spider-Man 2 site, but we only managed to grab a shot of the page that was cached on August 5 - unfortunately, on this date, the page didn't include any additional details. Going through the visual options that Insider-Gaming managed to pull from the website before it was changed, we can see that Spider-Man 2 will include two visual modes - a Fidelity mode at 30FPS and a Performance Mode at 60FPS without the graphical features that are present in the game's Fidelity mode. Interestingly, there doesn't appear to be Performance RT mode as seen in Spider-Man Remastered, Spider-Man Miles Morales as well as Insomniac's Ratchet & Clank Rift Apart. This mode was added to the games post-launch and is described as an "alternate version of the 60 frames per second "Performance" mode, adding ray-tracing by adjusting the scene resolution, reflection quality, and pedestrian density.

If these graphical modes are the real deal for Spider-Man 2, Insomniac could well by adding the Performance RT mode to the game at a later date again.

Other graphical options include HDR, Motion Blur, Film Grain, Chromatic Aberration, and more. We've included the graphical modes as posted by Insider-Gaming below:

unBxanR.png

Here is the original story with full settings options:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Honestly at this point that needs to stop, even I stopped playing the campaigns after ghost. I heard that the ones for MW, Blops and MWII were good but I honestly just never bothered.

Motion blur - Off
Film Grain - Off
Chromatic Puke - Off
So willingly making your game look worse, then.

There’s a reason why all their promotional bullshots have literally all those things applied and it looks better in every way.

Motion blur
Film grain
Chromatic abberation

ON
Marvel's Spider-Man 2

OFF

spiderman-2-venom-64ba797d7ef2a.jpg

Enjoy

And yes I realize there’s added rain effects. But those effects help hide the ugliness and help it look not so bland

Last edited:

JaksGhost

This is the only thing that is new:
Building on the accessibility improvements in previous titles, these features allow the game to be enjoyed by more players of different abilities:

• Audio: screen reader support will read aloud all on-screen text in menus.
  • Captions: on-screen captions and audio descriptions are available for cinematic scenes.
  • Gameplay: you can choose to slow down the action to 70%, 50%, or 30% of the full speed; switching back to regular speed at any time.
As mentioned, the new features will build off the accessibility improvements in previous titles, which for Marvel’s Spider-Man Remastered include:

The rest of the list including graphic/performance options is lifted from the original Remastered list. That list doesn't include the options that were added post-launch such as VRR, 120fps, Performance RT, etc.

Last edited:

SHA

The pro will just double the frame rate, I wish I'm wrong, beast machines logically just don't align with limited options.

JaksGhost

OK, so looks like I'm waiting until their incredible rt performance mode is added.
The options aren't known yet. They just listed out what was included with the Remastered. This is what was posted on the website:

image.png

Gaming media took a post from a forum that clearly stated they were just listing the Remastered accessibility features and played a terrible game of telephone. They have a bunch of questions in a FAQ for games like Rise of Ronin asking things like if it was a PS5 exclusive.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

There’s a reason why all their promotional bullshots have literally all those things applied and it looks better in every way.

Motion blur
Film grain
Chromatic abberation

ON
Marvel's Spider-Man 2's Spider-Man 2

OFF

Enjoy

And yes I realize there’s added rain effects. But those effects help hide the ugliness and help it look not so bland
Those three settings don't turn the rain or splashes off. Add those back to the bottom pic and it will look cleaner. CA is an eyesore, motion blur is an atrocity in 60fps, and film grain is only tolerable if it's at it's lightest or select styled games like horror.

Yeah I'll wait for an official announcement from Insomniac hopefully they have post launch plans to include a performance RT mode if it doesn't make it for launch

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
As everyone seemed to have missed this or let it fly over their head
RQMTMFO.jpg

So the game actually renders at 4k and then uses temporal injection to supersample higher and outputted at 4K
While the performance mode offer's Temporal injection 4k from a lower resolution based

Luipadre

As everyone seemed to have missed this or let it fly over their head
RQMTMFO.jpg

So the game actually renders at 4k and then uses temporal injection to supersample higher and outputted at 4K
While the performance mode offer's Temporal injection 4k from a lower resolution based

They did the same with ratchet and MM too. Thats why those games looks so clean in fidelity mode

Last edited:
Those three settings don't turn the rain or splashes off. Add those back to the bottom pic and it will look cleaner. CA is an eyesore, motion blur is an atrocity in 60fps, and film grain is only tolerable if it's at it's lightest or select styled games like horror.
If it’s applied subtlety then those effects all add to a better looking image.

But I know elite gamers want their image as sharp as possible, because that’s all that counts. If they could remove specular highlights then they would because those just get in the way of the ultra crisp textures.

Belthazar

I'm willing to bet this is in accurate and the game will feature both an Performance+RT and an 40fps Quality mode. It is Insomniac we're talking about, after all.

Last edited:

Puscifer

Motion blur
Film grain
Chromatic abberation

ON

OFF

Enjoy

How tf did I end up quoted in this lmao

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
If it’s applied subtlety then those effects all add to a better looking image.

But I know elite gamers want their image as sharp as possible, because that’s all that counts. If they could remove specular highlights then they would because those just get in the way of the ultra crisp textures.
Subtlety is key and motion blur needs to be per object, not the entire scene. Better is subjective. Artist's vision, then sure, I can agree. But options are there for a reason, due to subjectivity.

R6Rider

Gold Member

Motion blur
Film grain
Chromatic abberation

ON

OFF

Enjoy

Ah yes, how to showcase you have no idea what you are talking about in one post.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
How tf did I end up quoted in this lmao
Had a bunch of quoted people on mobile and forgot to delete yours :messenger_smirking:
Ah yes, how to showcase you have no idea what you are talking about in one post.
Ok. Explain to me using sound evidence and logic why they use said effects to market the game if those said effects "make the game look worse". Go.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

You are 100% right, it’s an ambitious game!

Good thing that it’s also on PC day one where many, including myself will experience it.
yeah, no man sky too was an ambitious game, this is just that with pretty graphics.

if the game had 100 planets hand crafted i would agree at the "ambitious", but is just a procedural generation galore, lets see how those 1.000 planets ll pan out.

i ll run this "ambitious" game on a Ryzen 3600 with a RTX 2060 at 60fps if i want, ambitious has nothing to do with this 30fps situation.

Last edited:
Top Bottom