• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

Hugare

untitled-design-4-2.png

This game is going to look good in motion
... Please tell me you dont beleive this is realtime

This is obviously an artwork. Dont think this is even in-engine

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Hellblade 2 hype is growing for me. I am going to spam the heck out of this thread with screenshots. Its going to be this gens The Order. A random small game that simply fucks the shit out of everything else on the market for a while, visually.

... Please tell me you dont beleive this is realtime

This is obviously an artwork. Dont think this is even in-engine
It doesnt look good enough to be CG

Last edited:

DanielG165

Hellblade 2 hype is growing for me. I am going to spam the heck out of this thread with screenshots. Its going to be this gens The Order. A random small game that simply fucks the shit out of everything else on the market for a while, visually.
I’m definitely looking forward to it also. To have a game that essentially is dead set focused on pushing graphical fidelity as far as it can go, finally, and using the hardware for all that it’s worth, will be really exciting to see in person.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This looks even better than callisto in terms of cinematography and character models lol. Absolutely nuts.

I find myself more excited about Death Stranding 2 though. Kojima just said that mocap is done and the game is a year away. I love me some order style visual showcases, but im also ready for some next gen gameplay. Really curious to see what he does with the floods, earthquakes and forest fires.

GymWolf

Gold Member
I'm tempted to do a month of gamepass to try this thing but i need some feedback on how is the ratio of slow walking\puzzles\combat...

DanielG165

I'm tempted to do a month of gamepass to try this thing but i need some feedback on how is the ratio of slow walking\puzzles\combat...
Well, it’s Hellblade, so although the sequel may be bigger and more ambitious overall, it’s still going to be a slower and more psychological experience than straight up action.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Well, it’s Hellblade, so although the sequel may be bigger and more ambitious overall, it’s still going to be a slower and more psychological experience than straight up action.
I just hope you don't fight an enemy every 30 min but more often.

I'm even ok with slow walking to admire the graphic and the atmosphere, i just hope they don't go ham with puzzles every 5 min.

Last edited:
I just hope you don't fight an enemy every 30 min but more often.

I'm even ok with slow walking to admire the graphic and the atmosphere, i just hope they don't go ham with puzzles every 5 min.

I've just finished the first game today and in my opinion the game would benefit from having less combat, if anything. Not that the combat is bad, but it's not the focus of the game. I expect the sequel to have fewer encounters.

Luipadre

This looks even better than callisto in terms of cinematography and character models lol. Absolutely nuts.

I find myself more excited about Death Stranding 2 though. Kojima just said that mocap is done and the game is a year away. I love me some order style visual showcases, but im also ready for some next gen gameplay. Really curious to see what he does with the floods, earthquakes and forest fires.

DS2 is my most anticipated game currently. I hope it comes out next summer

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
I've just finished the first game today and in my opinion the game would benefit from having less combat, if anything. Not that the combat is bad, but it's not the focus of the game. I expect the sequel to have fewer encounters.
I still prefer average combat over puzzles, priorities and all.

Btw, i think we should start a petition so every game can have the euphoria engine, even in stuff like tetris or pac man :lollipop_squinting:

Can you even imagine how brutal are gonna be the kills in gta6?!🕺

Hopefully they are not gonna tone down the gore\violence just because the far west is supposedly to be more brutal and the tone is different (similar to tlou and uncharted series made by the same guys).

Last edited:

JCreasy

Yes. Yessssss.

I don't know why I'm feeling this is looking downgraded. It's not blowing me away like the earlier clips. There were some clips that actually fooled me into thinking I was looking at a real human being. That's not happening for me here.

Maybe the footage is too dark. Or did they drop the resolution?

I'll wait to dig into the new clips that'll get posted tomorrow. I'll finally get a closer look.

GooseMan69

Hellblade 2 looks awesome. I think it will do okay if the gameplay isn’t a complete joke. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be super surprised if it bombs either.

It is disappointing that it’s basically another AA game, of similar scale as the first game. I thought a sequel would be significantly bigger.

Last edited:
Hellblade 2 looks awesome. I think it will do okay if the gameplay isn’t a complete joke. Unfortunately, I wouldn’t be super surprised if it bombs either.

It is disappointing that it’s basically another AA game, of similar scale as the first game. I thought a sequel would be significantly bigger.

This! I can't believe they made the sequel just as short and small scale as the first game! Very weird and makes me think someone MS is responsible. This game with a much bigger budget and almost 7 years should've been twice as long as the first!

GymWolf

Gold Member
From a hb2 review:

I’m almost embarrassed to think about how much time I spent enjoying the visual fidelity in a digital representation of a rock. The world in Hellblade 2 is gritty, mountainous and rocky. It’s as close to photo realism as I’ve seen in a game and it’s truly spectacular.

The rocks fucking rock apparently🕺

From a hb2 review:

I’m almost embarrassed to think about how much time I spent enjoying the visual fidelity in a digital representation of a rock. The world in Hellblade 2 is gritty, mountainous and rocky. It’s as close to photo realism as I’ve seen in a game and it’s truly spectacular.

Did you scan through reviews until you found the one that mentions the rocks? EPIC

M1987

From a hb2 review:

They're not that good, and it's graphically nowhere near as good as I thought it would be, although it does look nice

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member
They're not that good, and it's graphically nowhere near as good as I thought it would be, although it does look nice
The game seems to be another boring turd other than the graphic so i don't know if it's even worth to check by myself.

Hopefully we get some 4k pics in here that are not cherry picked as hell.

Last edited:

M1987

Got a bit further in the game and the rocks and graphics do look a lot better,but it's ruined by the chromatic aberration.The fighting scenes and cutscenes look phenomenal

Got a bit further in the game and the rocks and graphics do look a lot better,but it's ruined by the chromatic aberration.The fighting scenes and cutscenes look phenomenal
They dont allow us to remove the chromatic aberration? It looks absolute dog shit, thats the first thing Id turn off.

SlimySnake

This! I can't believe they made the sequel just as short and small scale as the first game! Very weird and makes me think someone MS is responsible. This game with a much bigger budget and almost 7 years should've been twice as long as the first!
I brought up uncharted in another thread. The first game was only 7-8 hours long with like 2 setpieces, and yet ND took uncharted 2 to another level just 2 years later. Lots of setpieces, way bigger scale. 11-12 hour campaign that didnt feel too long like uncharted 4 or too short like uncharted 1. I was hoping NT would do the same with hellblade 2 but they didnt even bother.

the first game was famously made by 20 people. ms gave this game a proper budget and time. NT just didnt deliver. they kept the scope small for some reason. uncharted 2 was also linear but felt sprawling and epic.

nemiroff

Gold Member
They dont allow us to remove the chromatic aberration? It looks absolute dog shit, thats the first thing Id turn off.

It's not like that. Indeed, many people, myself included, developed an allergy to this and similar effects in the past when they were caked on deliberately to "look cool" and mask poor graphics. But there's no need to use an EpiPen on HB2.. It's unfortunate, especially in an enthusiast thread, where nuance and context should be king, to compare it to "destroying image quality" when it's obviously not so.

The clarity of HB2's image output obviously provides sufficient margin to say that CA is employed similarly to color grading in films, so-to-speak, as opposed to the detrimental 'piss filter' used in earlier generations of games. It's not about "destroying image quality" any more than f.ex. the double X look in "Ripley," which we certainly wouldn't consider as "destroying the colors," - Albeit true in a different context.

Anyway, playing it in HDR on the latest QD-OLED panel and it's refreshing to see so little of the usual color-banding. Light sources through the atmosphere seems to bring a near-complete range of colors through the gradients. And Nanite is always a welcomed rock-solid wonder..

..Why are some of you people starting to generalize the talk in this thread btw (the last few weeks more and more for some reason), if you continue like this the thread will eventually lose its purpose.

Last edited:

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I brought up uncharted in another thread. The first game was only 7-8 hours long with like 2 setpieces, and yet ND took uncharted 2 to another level just 2 years later. Lots of setpieces, way bigger scale. 11-12 hour campaign that didnt feel too long like uncharted 4 or too short like uncharted 1. I was hoping NT would do the same with hellblade 2 but they didnt even bother.

the first game was famously made by 20 people. ms gave this game a proper budget and time. NT just didnt deliver. they kept the scope small for some reason. uncharted 2 was also linear but felt sprawling and epic.

The way you're talking, you'd think you've already played/beaten the game.

How the hell would you know at this point whether or not NT delivered or not?

DanielG165

Hellblade 2 is going to kill my PC and I’m looking forward to it lol. The length of the game sounds like a bummer, but for sheer eye candy and graphical fidelity, I’m definitely not missing out on this. This is currently the best looking game ever made, so for that alone, just to see this in person finally, I’ll be downloading it later today.

mrqs

From the reveal trailer in 2019, the scale was way bigger. I'm sure they started it thinking it would be open-world with more systems and changed their minds while finishing pre-production.

Hopefully their next game comes back to their action-packed insane roots from games of the past. They're really good still.

Hellblade 2 is The Order of this generation and I'm fine with that, even tho The Order looked way more interesting.

A bit of a shame either way, tho.

SlimySnake

What game is? That doesn't mean it didn't deliver.
I meant Uncharted 2 in terms of the leap it took from the basic ass first game. lets not forget the first hellblade 2 was an indie game made by an AAA studio's 20 employees. I expected this to be more epic in scale especially after the first teaser trailer at the xsx vga reveal and the subsequent gameplay trailer which focused on a big setpiece. the reviews suggest the opposite.

Darsxx82

Hellblade 2 is the most photorealistic and NextGen to date. Only the first chapter offers you the visual level that this generation would have expected.

There is nothing that comes close to it. Geometry, modeling, lighting, atmospheric effects... It has given me renewed hope in what UE5 can become even on consoles.

I think that in the hands of Studios of 200-300 people (Ninja Theory is only 80) we can see that level of fidelity in more ambitious environments and gameplay. Gears 6 o Marvel 1945 😱

But yes, purely visually, Hellblade 2 is what I would have expected as a NextGen.

GymWolf

Gold Member
It's not like that. Indeed, many people, myself included, developed an allergy to this and similar effects in the past when they were caked on deliberately to "look cool" and mask poor graphics. But there's no need to use an EpiPen on HB2.. It's unfortunate, especially in an enthusiast thread, where nuance and context should be king, to compare it to "destroying image quality" when it's obviously not so.

The clarity of HB2's image output obviously provides sufficient margin to say that CA is employed similarly to color grading in films, so-to-speak, as opposed to the detrimental 'piss filter' used in earlier generations of games. It's not about "destroying image quality" any more than f.ex. the double X look in "Ripley," which we certainly wouldn't consider as "destroying the colors," - Albeit true in a different context.

Anyway, playing it in HDR on the latest QD-OLED panel and it's refreshing to see so little of the usual color-banding. Light sources through the atmosphere seems to bring a near-complete range of colors through the gradients. And Nanite is always a welcomed rock-solid wonder..

..Why are some of you people starting to generalize the talk in this thread btw (the last few weeks more and more for some reason), if you continue like this the thread will eventually lose its purpose.
Hating on camera effects that make the image arguably worse (at least for many people) is hardly gonna make the topic die, cmon.

I want clean iq in my games, devs can have their untouched artistic vision on console, on pc you have to give me the option to remove all of it, modders are gonna find a way to remove all the graphical noise so why bother with taking away options from users?

Also, i think it's a bit naive to think that because the game looks great, devs are not using any effect to hide eventual weaker spots etc, i fucking wish the game looked as pristine as tech demos, but we are not there yet, at least from the 4k footage i saw.

DanielG165

I expected this to be more epic in scale especially after the first teaser trailer at the xsx vga reveal
To be fair on this point, according to Ninja Theory, they didn’t even have a game at that point. The reveal trailer was beautiful vapor ware. Who knows, maybe they ultimately decided to buckle down on having HB2 be a graphical showcase, and had to strip down other aspects to make it happen. Or, they might have decided to make it an out-in-out art house experience, and have the visuals enhance that.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Hellblade 2 is the most photorealistic and NextGen to date. Only the first chapter offers you the visual level that this generation would have expected.

There is nothing that comes close to it. Geometry, modeling, lighting, atmospheric effects... It has given me renewed hope in what UE5 can become even on consoles.

I think that in the hands of Studios of 200-300 people (Ninja Theory is only 80) we can see that level of fidelity in more ambitious environments and gameplay. Gears 6 o Marvel 1945 😱

But yes, purely visually, Hellblade 2 is what I would have expected as a NextGen.
We were robbed of days gone 2 made in ue5.

SlimySnake

To be fair on this point, according to Ninja Theory, they didn’t even have a game at that point. The reveal trailer was beautiful vapor ware. Who knows, maybe they ultimately decided to buckle down on having HB2 be a graphical showcase, and had to strip down other aspects to make it happen. Or, they might have decided to make it an out-in-out art house experience, and have the visuals enhance that.
I think Ninja Theory is a fantastic studio that was up there with Naughty Dog as among the first developers making those epic cinematic action adventure games. I am a huge fan of heavenly sword because it didnt just deliver on graphics but also scale and setpieces. Enslaved was a bit more grounded in comparison but DmC brought back the bombastic setpiece driven game. They knew that these linear action adventure games need those big moments. they knew that having a game mostly revolve around walking then fighting a few dudes is simply not enough. you need setpieces, exploration, boss battles, puzzles (and not the shitty ones in the first hellblade) and platforming to keep it from getting too stale. its just disappointing that they kind of doubled down on the walking/combat loop which was a byproduct of it being an experimental game made by 20 dudes.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I'm glad that HB2 seems to be delivering the goods graphically, but at the expense of literally everything else, it seems. There's barely a game here based on everything I'm hearing. John from DF says it's more appropriate to call it an "experience" as opposed to a game. I would like more studios to produce "experiences" like this.

If nothing else I'm glad this game pushed the bar for what we can confirm is capable on these consoles.

SlimySnake

I'm glad that HB2 seems to be delivering the goods graphically, but at the expense of literally everything else, it seems. There's barely a game here based on everything I'm hearing. John from DF says it's more appropriate to call it an "experience" as opposed to a game. I would like more studios to produce "experiences" like this.

If nothing else I'm glad this game pushed the bar for what we can confirm is capable on these consoles.
i dont know. I went back to the order a couple of weeks ago after the latest order discussion and lasted maybe 30 minutes. these experience type games are very hard to play. you need more than just fancy graphics. im hoping the combat is nice and punchy though.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Gold Member

Yeah, let's waste 5 years for what you can barely call a game.

Top Bottom