• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolverine: What should the gameplay be like?

ProtoByte

Between the traversal (walking, motorcycle, parkour, whatever) and tracking or puzzles, or whatever, I'm hoping this game's combat is not the same old tired 8th gen.

I want God of War '18 impact on a Prototype scale. I want small and large scale destruction. Powerful and agile enemies that can turn entire levels into the combat zone, as opposed to fights being restricted to one street corner or rooftop arena in Spider-Man.

Wolverine is literally a more grounded character than Spider-Man, but I do not want TLOU with claws. Combat and traversal has to be faster and less realistic.

The screenshots from the (bad) leak have some people scared, but there are sections of Spider-Man that have OTS perspectives, so I don't think it's indicative of anything.

Would be pretty cool to choose when or if the claws on each hand comes out with the trigger buttons. Haptic feedback on that would probably be cool.

Last edited:
I want to be able to slice everything with adamantium claw finishers btw.

tumblr_mdbbmqjAZN1qzqt8do1_500.gif

az8ueo.gif

giphy.gif

And it should be everything.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Anything but the super flashy anime ass action with zero weight to it.

It needs to be Grounded. Heavy. Violent. Visceral. Raw.

Insomniac doesn't have great history with this, I hope they pull it off...

And no fucking puzzles. Go play a word book or something if you wanna do puzzles.

If there's a gate, let me hop over it.

If "the door is locked from the other side" break that shit down.

Last edited:

Nvzman

DMC combat is really not my thing; and would hard cap the game's sales. Action adventure, not character action.
And this is honestly why modern AAA gaming is so fucking depressing.

I'm sorry, but GoW 2018's combat and the SM2018 combat was fucking boring beyond belief, and it definitely felt watered down to appeal to casuals. I played GoW on hard and by the end I was only playing for the story, the combat was just getting incredibly repetitive and dull. They lack extremely little depth to not alienate audiences, and thats a bad bad bad thing.

Spider-Man 2 was a massive step up, on hard it actually felt somewhat difficult, but its still not really as rewarding or interesting as the Arkham games' combat.

Tbh I think DMC5 has some of the best combat of any game I can think of thats released within the past decade, Capcom really made a gem of game, I think I've replayed it like 4-5 times and I still want to play it again some day soon.

Last edited:

Zannegan

DMC combat is really not my thing; and would hard cap the game's sales. Action adventure, not character action.
Wolverine would be a big pull regardless, and if the action advertises well (something character action excels at) it could do big numbers. Supposedly niche genres have seen some pretty huge successes in the past few years, Elden Ring for example.

Alas, you're probably right. Wishful thinking on my part. But aiming for the lowest common denominator doesn't always guarantee success either. I'm just a little bored with the AAA-to-Awesome formula at the moment.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions

I'm sorry, but GoW 2018's combat and the SM2018 combat was fucking boring beyond belief, and it definitely felt watered down to appeal to casuals. I played GoW on hard and by the end I was only playing for the story, the combat was just getting incredibly repetitive and dull. They lack extremely little depth to not alienate audiences, and thats a bad bad bad thing.

Spider-Man 2 was a massive step up, on hard it actually felt somewhat difficult, but its still not really as rewarding or interesting as the Arkham games' combat.
DMC combat has no weight to it. Too much stylization and flashiness over raw brutality and violence.

Ninja Gaiden is a better example of fast combat done right.

Wolverine has to feel heavy, fast, violent and visceral all at once

Mr Hyde

It should be kid friendly with lots of bright colors and chibi characters, kinda like Marvel Superhero Squad.

zy1BV4u.jpg

Insomniac needs to go back to the innocent cuteness that defined their early work with Ratchet. Get in touch with their roots instead of dealing with dark and edgy Nu-Marvel shit.

ProtoByte

I'm interested to hear why you feel this way. Spider-Man to this point is pretty Arkham-inspired in terms of combat design, and while I would like it to be different, I'm definitely more entertained by it than Arkham Knight, say.

Anything but the super flashy anime ass action with zero weight to it.

It needs to be Grounded. Heavy. Violent. Visceral. Raw.

Insomniac doesn't have great history with this, I hope they pull it off...

And no fucking puzzles. Go play a word book or something if you wanna do puzzles.

If there's a gate, let me hop over it.

If "the door is locked from the other side" break that shit down.
Yes, I think we're past the point of doing that kind of progression gating. Logan is fast and strong enough that conventional obstacles shouldn't work to stop him.

T4keD0wN

It should be a VR game and it should have zero cutscenes (i will explain why at the end)

The combat should have great physics, freedom to "claw" everything and everyone however you want, very detailed gore, the funsies. Oh and it should have Jean Grey romance.

Last edited:

Quantum253

I want to be able to slice everything with adamantium claw finishers btw.

tumblr_mdbbmqjAZN1qzqt8do1_500.gif

az8ueo.gif

giphy.gif

And it should be everything.
I remember the Raiden reveal. I belive they were saying the game was based on Zendatsu. Why I remember that, I do know. It was still a fun game that had a lot of potential.

kiphalfton

Between the traversal (walking, motorcycle, parkour, whatever) and tracking or puzzles, or whatever, I'm hoping this game's combat is not the same old tired 8th gen.

I want God of War '18 impact on a Prototype scale. I want small and large scale destruction. Powerful and agile enemies that can turn entire levels into the combat zone, as opposed to fights being restricted to one street corner or rooftop arena in Spider-Man.

Wolverine is literally a more grounded character than Spider-Man, but I do not want TLOU with claws. Combat and traversal has to be faster and less realistic.

The screenshots from the (bad) leak have some people scared, but there are sections of Spider-Man that have OTS perspectives, so I don't think it's indicative of anything.

Would be pretty cool to choose when or if the claws on each hand comes out with the trigger buttons. Haptic feedback on that would probably be cool.

Hell no.

Tbh I think DMC5 has some of the best combat of any game I can think of thats released within the past decade, Capcom really made a gem of game, I think I've replayed it like 4-5 times and I still want to play it again some day soon.
Yes, DMC does have a varied combo system. Maybe one of the best. However, my biggest issue with the DMC series even on their hardest difficulty, is that the average enemy is pretty much fodder if you're decently good, and only bosses become the actual challenge in their games.

The reason I agree with the Ninja Gaiden guys is because of that one flaw with DMC. In Ninja Gaiden, you were under pressure quite a bit by even the lowest grade enemy because on higher difficulties nearly everything required you to perform to your utmost best effort, rather than just going for a combo high score. However, even from saying that...

Won't be as good as Ninja Gaiden Black, that's for sure.
What it should be like is Ninja Gaiden.
There's no chance at all that Insomniac is even approaching the orbit near NG's gameplay.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Like Ninja Gaiden Black, but with more blood and gore. Manly shit, like smoking cigars, drinking whiskey, and dismembering your enemies.

Tygeezy

Hopefully we get long stealth sequences featuring a character with an oppressed identity and we get fun missions like playing match maker for trans people.

CGNoire

Wolverine will turn his back on his previously Toxicly Masculine ways and Embrace the art of the Patty Cake.

He will use his Patty Cake skills to Spread Joy and to bring people together from all genders, backgrounds, and religions.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Just make it Ninja Gaiden-esque but with better, further back camera. I want speed, over the top violence, extremely bloody. It would be cool if the story was not based on the origin story. Give us something new. I don't wanna already know what happens.

Vick

Origins controls and combat, with significantly higher levels of gore.
That game felt so perfect to play a total rip-off would actually be the optimal approach.

I want a modernized Wolverine Origins
I want a visually modernized Wolverine Origins.
That's the only extent of "modernity" I would tolerate in a Wolverine game.

What a bizarre take, GoW 2018 combat is so above the previous entries in every conceivable aspect saying it felt "watered down" or "boring beyond belief" is nothing but complete nonsense.
Game combat is a simple mirror in front of the player, you suck, combat suck. You're the best, game systems would reflect that.

Kind of the purest definition of actual depth. Old GoWs are literal QTEs in comparison you could potentially beat with eyes closed, but given your example of the "best combat of any game I can think of" is weightless memorized order button mashing 100 feet away from your character while thousands of numbers and fonts of screen appear on screen to give you the impression of accomplishing something, I understand where you're coming from.

I skipped SM2, but I also have a bit of trouble understanding Arkham praises while complaining about SM, unless once again there's preferation for simpler systems. SM combat is literally Arkham amplified, with aerial inclusion and more buttons required to accomplish free flow.. while being significantly harder at equal difficulty.

I do personally find Arkham (Knight at least) much more satisfying, mainly because I feel like an actual unstoppable beast, but SM system is objectively the one requiring more focus and skills.

Like Ninja Gaiden Black, but with more blood and gore. Manly shit, like smoking cigars, drinking whiskey, and dismembering your enemies.
Unless they entirely split the studio in half and therefore Spider-Man 2 and Wolverine are going to be complete opposites.. forget about it, it would need to be a Days Gone vs TLOU Part II situation happening inside the same building.

Not holding my breath.

Just make it Ninja Gaiden-esque but with better, further back camera.
According to a leaked image I saw depicting, pretty much, the TLOU camera.. I'm afraid that's not gonna happen.

Last edited:

Arachnid

Not open world, for one. Make it mission based levels. I'd also like solid stealth options to showcase Wolverines ninja background and break up the monotony of it being hack and slash. Combat should be as visceral and bloody as it gets with a dismemberment system. I'd also like Logan himself to have a gore stripping system like the necromorphs in the Dead Space remake to show him actively get damaged and heal up.

I'd also like a solid amount of non-human enemies outside of boss fights, but I imagine making unique mutants as normal enemies would be difficult. Not sure how they'd approach this.

Also, NO ROBOT ENEMIES. I'm tired of Wolverine fighting robot enemies. Keep the sentinels out.

Enough origin shit with Wolverine too. I don't want to see another Weapon X story.

Not sure how to approach game over though. Wolverine is basically unkillable outside of magic and drowning, or OP mutants like Magneto. I'd imagine constantly regening health would get boring. The only real option here is to nerf the shit out of his healing factor and make it have a limit. You could maybe upgrade it's efficacy as you level, but I'm not sure.

I'd like boss fights to have an element of strategy or enemies have weakness to exploit. 90% of Wolverines rogues like Omega Red, Wendigo, Lady Deathstrike, Sabretooth, Juggernaught, or Hulk are all comfortably above him either stats wise, skill wise, or both. Don't make boss fights straight up hack and slash.

Keep cameos from other Marvel characters to a minimum. Other mutants are fine, but I don't want to see Captain America, the Human Torch, or Spider-man show up.

Last edited:
it doesn't matter. There has never been a wolverine game with such levels of production values and Gameplay wise is going to be solid. The question is going to be if insomniac can make something truly special (Like santa monica did with the Leviathan axe) but with the Wolverine's claws or/and the regeneration.

What's more important is that feels fresh and "Next-Gen" and not derivative of TLoU/GoW.

What a bizarre take, GoW 2018 combat is so above the previous entries in every conceivable aspect saying it felt "watered down" or "boring beyond belief" is nothing but complete nonsense.
Game combat is a simple mirror in front of the player, you suck, combat suck. You're the best, game systems would reflect that.

As someone who's played Godhand, I enjoy the behind-the-back camera gameplay of both modern GoW games. I understand that it's not for everyone, and a part of me feels that's secretly one of the reasons why the majority of character action fans never really bring up Godhand as much as they bring up the DMC series, Ninja Gaiden Trilogy, Old GoW Trilogy, or Bayonetta Trilogy.

Top Bottom