• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PhysX FleX v0.25 Sample Demo made available - Real-time unified physics

Übermatik;157319566 said:
WE NEED MORE GIFS UP IN HERE.

okay

X8d7P9V.gif

shockdude

I'm running this at 720p on a GT755M (GTX 650 equivalent), and I'm quite impressed by how decently it runs. The fluids kill my framerate, but aside from that this is really cool.

I can't get it to work. Does a 670 qualify?
That's odd; the 670 supports CUDA 3.0, so it should work.

KHlover

Banned
Ahh got the recording to work. You have to install ffmpeg to your PC and add the folder "movies" to the root directory of the program. Easy to figure out in hindsight, just have to take a look at the error messages in cmd and play around a little.

EDIT: Also looks like the program doesn't like it when you record in fullscreen

Slavik81

neat, but it's only going to be used in the most high end rigs and as an unoptimized feature in PC games for the next 5 years or so.

But boy do i wish that wasn't so because it looks great.
I've studied a few of the techniques used for these demos. Real-time fluid simulation and rendering is basically impossible without serious optimization. That's basically why you'd want to use PhysX's implementation rather than rolling your own. The fundamental equations are simple, but making it fast is difficult.

These demos are very, very impressive. I hope this sort of technology is integrated into the next generation of games. I'm just disappointed it's NVIDIA-only.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Aww yeah, I've been wanting to try this out.

Random question for anyone doing GPU compute - in SLI, can you set aside some memory on each GPU and use it separately for parallel calculations? Say a game only used 4/12GB on each for the graphics, can you have each working on its own 8GB worth of isolated stuff, or is it all just cloned on each GPU?

I can't wait till games start using this stuff. Real time flooding of levels, the list is endless.

#1 on my wish list would be to see it applied to the God Game genre. Dropping a meteor to crack open a volcano, stuff like that.

-SD-

Banned
It's not working for me on a GTX 580 (with the latest drivers). I get this error: "Could not initialize Flex, selected device is not SM3.0 or higher..."
It's because GTX 580 is a CUDA 2.0 capable card and at least CUDA 3.0 capability is required.

-SD-

Banned
Decided to make some GIFs, after all, despite my slow-ass PC. These have been captured at 15fps and half-resolution. Half the frames have also been culled and GIFs are set to 25 or 33fps (in other words: sped up).

WellgroomedFloweryDrongo.gif
SimpleEvergreenGilamonster.gif

CoordinatedAnimatedGhostshrimp.gif
ElasticFormalBagworm.gif

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Simply amazing stuff.We need in games please.
I'll buy a game if they have this water simulation and i don't care the gameplay or if i don't like it.Only for the physics

Raticus79

Tried this today, pretty cool stuff. Would love to see these kinds of physics applied to games in real time.

Oh man, imagine this with VR and a six-axis controller (e.g. STEM or lighthouse) as your 3D input. Simple little experiences like throwing a pie at someone would be amazing.

If they have VR support I'll try it out with my DK2 later.

Oh man, imagine this with VR and a six-axis controller (e.g. STEM or lighthouse) as your 3D input. Simple little experiences like throwing a pie at someone would be amazing.

Yay slideshow! Unless you have that nifty Titan X setup of course ;)

Excited for nvidia to implement the per eye rendering for use with the consumer vr hmds. After playing around with this it really drives up my desire to see this kind of complexity of physics in games, though I know that's probably not gonna happen for quite some time :

Raticus79

Yay slideshow! Unless you have that nifty Titan X setup of course ;)

Excited for nvidia to implement the per eye rendering for use with the consumer vr hmds. After playing around with this it really drives up my desire to see this kind of complexity of physics in games, though I know that's probably not gonna happen for quite some time :

Nah, just one original titan for now. Waiting for local stock in Canada and then I'll pick up two for VR SLI (whenever that's ready).

It might actually work out ok since it still only needs to do the physics once, it's just rendering twice, and it looks like easy rendering.
Edit: nope, having played with it, the rendering's not quite that easy - a lot goes into converting those points into a fluid representation.

It will happen in some Nvidia sponsored titles in the next coming years and probably an indie project on UE4.

Otherwise... gotta wait till the end of this console gen for such stuff probably. :(

low-G

Wonder what the GPU utilization is for these? Even though we had realistic hair in Nvidia demos back in 2003 with Dawn, it's not until lately where we're seeing such technology in games regularly. So... 2027 or so, we'll have this water in games often and it'll be nothing special.

Deadstar

And some people say we're seeing diminishing returns with graphics. Water in most games is a flat texture. We have a long way to go.

I want these physics in my games.

Ardget

Neo Member
I tried running the FleX demo on my GTX 970, but when I boot it up it opens the window, but doesn't display the simulations. If I try selecting some of the later ones they will show up on the bottom left quadrant of the window, but flipped horizontally and vertically, and it won't display any particles. Does anyone have any idea why it's not working?

Didn't see a post about it thought I'd share here, somebody plopped Mario into a small space with various flex materials with some basic physics interaction using the little guy. Runs pretty well too on a single 970 (goes to shit with the water one though). Here's a vid, also download in the description. Alt+enter enables Rift support fyi. Would love to see a new Sunshine with water physics like this. Maybe in a gen or two? lol

Mario Flex demo

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
Didn't see a post about it thought I'd share here, somebody plopped Mario into a small space with various flex materials with some basic physics interaction using the little guy. Runs pretty well too on a single 970 (goes to shit with the water one though). Here's a vid, also download in the description. Alt+enter enables Rift support fyi. Would love to see a new Sunshine with water physics like this. Maybe in a gen or two? lol

Mario Flex demo

Thanks for the information i need to try this.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Mario Flex demo

That was awesome

Seanspeed

Banned

Aw yea. I mean, I'd pay money for this with VR support and 3d input.

Top Bottom