• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pick your 3 favourite games from this gen - how do you want next-gen to improve them?

cormack12

Gold Member
Thought it might be interesting to see what we actually expect and prioritise for next-gen

RDR2 has become my second favourite game after initially having a frustrating relationship with it. It's much slower than what I'm used to but definitely one of those acquired tastes like a single malt or curry :messenger_tears_of_joy: and quite frankly, at the moment it's all I'm playing except PES. I think for me what I'd expect next gen to improve would be the load times - fuck you R*. It's a bit smeary as well on the Pro and the frame rate tanks especially in RDR:O. I expect a proper stable 30 (at least). I'd like better draw distance as well as improved HDR.

The Witcher 3 probably still tops out as my ultimate game of this generation. I wanna definitely see an improvement in those magic particles and effects though. Igni was shite compared to expectations, I never felt the frame rate was a huge issue after the initial patches. I'd like some higher res rextures and more detailed models for special enemies and NPCs.

LAst one was close, but I thought I'd go with God of War. I'd like to see the terrible DoF/aperture reduced - I feel this was used to decrease fidelity in things far away as it looked so great close up. Hopefully the extra oomph will give them a little scope to move the camera back a litle further as well. The frame rate chugged at times as well noticeably.

AC: Origins - I put this last as I think a lot of the dated part of AC is down to the engine now so hoping that gets a big overhaul for the next game in the series. A lot of NPC's still feel like animated standees because of the artstyle. They always seem to have a 'haze' as well which I'm guessing is to mask the draw distance in busy scenes. Hopefully see less of them

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Uncharted 4 had a thrill moment reel and averaged a big time moment ever scene, really let naughty dog take the lead as developer of the generation.

AC Origins doesn’t have to same appeal as previous ac games and that’s a good thing.

Breath of the Wild Nintendo crafted an open world juggernaut and wasn’t afraid to take risks (weapons, dungeon layouts etc.)

I don’t expect any of these games to have moments next gen, new games are critical but breath of the Wild suggests Nintendo is supporting new ideas, Uncharted 4 suggests characters beyond Nathan Drake are critical (children) and Ubisoft has been dealing with history type games (Egypt, Greece, Vikings etc.) I think they’ll explore other points in time (Mongolian, Germany etc.)

Tschumi

Don't care about FPS :)

My favourite games this gen...

Witcher 3. I don't think it can be improved, can only be built upon, i think cyberpunk will crack open gaming all over again.

MGSV. Could only be bettered with a re-release containing everything Kojima wanted. Never gonna happen.

Last one is tough..

Real tough.

Uhm, Jedi Fallen Order. They should revisit it with way more power to better flesh out their great take.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Of all of the games I really enjoyed this gen, the only improvements I wish for are of your basic iterative nature and inclusion of the new tech (raytracing, 3D audio, et al). (edit: I worded that poorly - I meant that of those specific games this gen, how I would like to see them improved upon in an upgrade to PS5/XSX).

However I do prefer open worlds, so I'd like to see all of their follow ups / sequels include more interiors and more vibrant worlds in terms of NPC's and fauna (no more almost dead, rote worlds like that found in inFAMOUS: Second Son - even though I do love that game). It appears as though some developers are already well on their way in that direction, such as Insomniac with Miles Morales Spider-Man and the seamless transitions in-and-out of buildings. I would like to see a Breath of the Wild follow up with dungeons and other explorable areas that likewise wouldn't require any kind of loading screen, but I doubt very seriously Nintendo is going to deliver a console with kind of IO performance needed for that.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Battlefield 4 - I really want battlefield 6 to be modern day or 2143 future. Bring back attachments and even take them to the next level. Would like to see an "Escape From Tarkov" level of gun building and customization in the game. Bring back the bad company level of destruction and a TTK similar to BF4 and I will be happy. Having a BR would be fun as long as it is more like PUBG and less like Warzone/Firestorm.

Fallout 4 - I know what you are thinking, but the vanilla version of this game was not one of my favorite games. My heavily modded (like 70 mods) version was. When I mod fallout games I basically remove vats and make them play closer to a game like ghost recon wildlands or far cry. Fallout out games played this way are really fun, and I absolutely love the atmosphere. My hope for next gen Bethesda games is just to improve storytelling, keep the modability, improve the visual fidelity, and elevate core systems that make their games so great. If they do this Bethesda will provide good bones for modding which means I will enjoy their games regardless of what casual gamers think of them.

Witcher 3 - I want an original story set after Witcher 3 where you either play as Ciri, or you can make your own Witcher with a "cyberpunk 2077 level" character creator. Bonus points if Geralt is your mentor. I would like the game to be more of a localized story, and not so much of a save the world thing, with a heavy emphasis on just being a Witcher (hunting monsters).

kunonabi

1. The Wonderful 101
2. Xenoblade X
3. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

MGS would benefit from resolution, hdr, etc. but the other two would suffer too much from inferior control options.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Pikmin 3 - an almost perfect game, a brillian combination of strategy and action-adventure without all the micromanagement bullshit other rts throw at the player
Super Mario 3D World - it plays a little less fluid than what came before and after, but the level design is pure gold.
Fire Emblem Fates Conquest - challenging, varied in its missin deisgn, very fairly balanced and no grind, the perfect SRPG

Honourable mentions: DKC Tropical Freeze, Sonic Mania

gojira96

I think having higher resolution and frames per second is the minimum for any next-gen game/patch of current-gen game.

A lot of the differences would lie in ray-tracing (or a similar software equivalent), higher quality textures, smoother animations, better character models (skin, hair, eyes, teeth, clothes), draw distance.
This is what I would want in my favorite games:
Horizon Zero Dawn
A Plague's Tale: Innocence
Assassin's Creed
(tie between Black Flag, Origins, Odyssey)

Bkdk

Witcher 3- Would be better if diaglogue options happen in real time so the choices don't feel so point and clicky and more blended into the game. Also better combat builds and variety.

Fallout 4- Big open world RPG with mods is still such an amazing combo to have despite all the engine shortcomings, hope for a new engine while retaining all the modding capabilities.

Divinity original sin 2- Hoping for better character customization tools, that's the biggest weakness of baldur's gate 3. Basically many Asian MMO or bethesda rpg mods have better customization tools than them, no excuse for it to be so barebone in customizable options, at least there should be some sliders for tweaking their physical appearence.

Last edited:

Vawn

Banned
Bloodborne - Performance

God of War - Nothing

Persona 5 - Just strip a bit more extra padding, shorter game

Honorable Mentions:
Horizon Zero Dawn
Ghost of Tsushima
The Last of Us Part 2
Nioh/Nioh 2
FFVII Remake
FFXIV
Resident Evil 2
Shadow of the Colossus

GC_DALBEN

Forza 4 (better engine sounds)
Bloodborne (performance + better graphics)
Witcher 3 (better combat)
Dark souls 3
RDR2
APEX LEGENDS (abandon KC and focus on WE map)
Quake Champions (bigger playerbase :( )

tryDEATH

Base 60FPS for all future titles.

Witcher 3 - A new separate story and character with expanded magic ability that has more combo utility. Also more varied builds, through armors, armor sets, and different weapons/shield that impact gameplay.

The Division - European location (Paris or London) with a much more aggressive weather system that fluctuates between Summer/Fall/Winter. Weapon customization similar to COD with unique blueprints and transmog so weapons look unique.

Forza Horizon 4 - Take it to a more urban setting(Tokyo/Japan) more in line with NFS. Same with customization of cars it severely lacks this now when it comes to body kits and other body parts.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
3 is too short, but it's:

1. God of War.
2. Uncharted 4.
3. Ghost of Tsushima.

And I want SWWS to keep their momentum of delivering top quality games.

Birdo

Banned
1. Shadow of The Colossus - Locked 60fps with Ray Tracing.

2. Skyrim Special Edition - Special Special Edition locked at 60fps with Ray Tracing.

3. Forza Horizon 4 - Don't be deleted from the digital store before I can buy it on my new account. And be locked at 60fps with Ray Tracing.

O.v.e.rlord

Banned
1.Bloodborne cause its fucking perfect
2.Witcher3, Wish there were more monsters to hunt.
3.Shadow of war. Man Nemesis system was to much fun. Wish there was a way to skip the tutorial

Bloodborne. Overwatch. Metal Gear Solid V.

(1) Make it work the way it should, first and foremost. But implement ray-tracing and a better lighting engine, please.

(2) Nothing, TBH. None of the advanced features of the next-gen are going to enhance the game any, IMO. Bring on the sequel.

(3) Technical enhancements, obviously. Also could we get Kiefer's voice in 3D audio, so I can wank to it? :p

Top Bottom