• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pics That Make You Laugh |OT| Memes Galore

Billbofet

I had an AI image generator create this by asking it to show me Tom Hanks hanging out with Richard Simmons during a meteor shower.
This was AI's interpretation and I can't stop looking at it.

C6vLfta.jpg

Trunx81

Gold Member
Quote by a forest ranger at Yosemite National Park on why it is hard to design the perfect garbage bin to keep bears from breaking into it: “There is considerable overlap between the intelligence of the smartest bears and the dumbest tourists.”
Well, forest rangers thought that killing the wolves would be a good idea. Seventy years without wolves changed Yellowstone – songbirds left, elk and coyotes became overpopulated and beavers disappeared. Elks overgrazed the land and trees, such as willow and aspen. Without those trees, songbirds began to decline. Beavers could no longer build their dams, and streams began to erode and degrade the conditions willow trees needed to grow. Without beaver’s dams and the shade from trees and plants, water temperatures were too high for cold water fish.

Durien

Gold Member
Well, forest rangers thought that killing the wolves would be a good idea. Seventy years without wolves changed Yellowstone – songbirds left, elk and coyotes became overpopulated and beavers disappeared. Elks overgrazed the land and trees, such as willow and aspen. Without those trees, songbirds began to decline. Beavers could no longer build their dams, and streams began to erode and degrade the conditions willow trees needed to grow. Without beaver’s dams and the shade from trees and plants, water temperatures were too high for cold water fish.
I watched something interesting recently on YouTube that showed what happened when they brought just a single pack of wolves back. Pretty interesting stuff.

Mistake

The great leap forward takes many forms, I guess

I_D

I had an AI image generator create this by asking it to show me Tom Hanks hanging out with Richard Simmons during a meteor shower.
This was AI's interpretation and I can't stop looking at it.

I asked for the same thing except during a volcano eruption, it did not dissapoint

"Tom Hanks hanging out with Richard Simmons during a psychedelic rave"
gaf5kcpj.jpg

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I watched something interesting recently on YouTube that showed what happened when they brought just a single pack of wolves back. Pretty interesting stuff.

Here is the link:

That's not fully accurate. The general idea of restoring lost ecological balance is not wrong, but the way in which that video makes it seem like it's only because the wolves came back is not supported by evidence. The reintroduction of wolves does have a positive impact, but it's not as dramatic or as fast acting as the video makes it seem like it is. There were other things like drought, an actual beaver drop, and other human-related interventions that probably had an impact as well. Tree recovery is correlated with wolf recovery, but establishing a causal relationship as strong as that video suggests is something else.

New research by Colorado State University finds that the removal of wolves from Yellowstone National Park caused complex changes in ecological processes that cannot be simply reversed by wolf reintroduction alone. The research findings are presented in a new paper, “Stream hydrology limits recovery of riparian ecosystems after wolf reintroduction,” which is published in Proceedings of the Royal Society B: Biological Sciences and concludes that the effects of apex predator removal are unpredictable and are not symmetrical with the effects of predator reintroduction.

“The reintroduction of the wolf in Yellowstone has contributed to positive improvements in the Park’s ecosystems, but it isn’t a simple on and off light-switch effect,” says Kristin Marshall, lead author and recent CSU alumna. “Our research shows that the complexity of the ecological damage caused by the eradication of a key predator species requires careful consideration of dynamic variables for restoration, and so additional caution must be emphasized to avoid predator removal in the first place.”

Since their reintroduction in Yellowstone National Park, wolves have been heralded as the controversial savior of Yellowstone's ecosystem. However, new research by ecologists at Colorado State University's Warner College of Natural Resources proves that many diverse variables must be taken into account to fully understand how ecosystems respond to changes in food web structures.

The research is the first to show that reductions in elk numbers following the reintroduction of wolves are proportionate to increases in willow height along streams in Yellowstone. While that could lead to the simple conclusion that wolves improved the ecosystem, their central finding was that the relationship between elk populations and willow health was also dependent on geography, climate, and water supply for the willows.

"The effects of modifying a food web can't be predicted by only studying one thing in isolation. No single force explains the patterns of plant establishment and growth in Yellowstone over the past three decades," said CSU Professor Thompson Hobbs, co-author on the paper who is also a research scientist at CSU's Natural Resource Ecology Laboratory. "It has been popular and convenient to tell the romantic tale that wolves have restored Yellowstone. But our findings prove that it is not that simple."

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
That's not fully accurate. The general idea of restoring lost ecological balance is not wrong, but the way in which that video makes it seem like it's only because the wolves came back is not supported by evidence. The reintroduction of wolves does have a positive impact, but it's not as dramatic or as fast acting as the video makes it seem like it is. There were other things like drought, an actual beaver drop, and other human-related interventions that probably had an impact as well. Tree recovery is correlated with wolf recovery, but establishing a causal relationship as strong as that video suggests is something else.

Homer Simpson Cartoon GIF

Top Bottom