• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pig to Skunk: "Is it just me or does it stink in here?"

Spiegel

The thing that I did when I took over last year was to boast the appeal of games themselves... The main premise of the PS3 is video games. That's the absolutely most important thing that we cannot lose sight of.

Hirai goes on to say by putting priority numero uno on games that that's how Sony will expand its position in the marketplace. And about Nintendo, Hirai said, "We cannot allow Nintendo run off alone."

Focus on japanese games please

Via Kotaku Via Nikkei

Amir0x

Banned
Kinda too late for that Mr. Kaz FIVE HUNDRED NINETY-NINE DOLLARSSSUUUU!!! Hirai.

We're stuck with them at the top of the ticket for at least another generation or two. I hope you're happy. I bet when he is on his death bed in thirty years or so, he will look back and find his destruction of the PlayStation brand his biggest regret! Bigger than that one guy he murdered!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nintendo already lapped you guys 3 times!

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
Hire Office Linebacker to spear nintendo's ass

You can't be tippy toeing all up in my house WHOOOOOOOOoooooo

It's a nice thought, but if these games are Killzone, Infamous, and GoW 3, they won't make a bit of difference in Japan no matter how awesome they are.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Ranger X said:
Well this means you better pump out a bunch of new games from Japan pretty soon and slash that price!

And shine that shit up for the PSN! Fund promising indie devs!

-Kh-

Banned
If he is so worried, he should look towards MS first, and see how they are starting to run away in Japan.

Kaz has his priorities wrong, he expects to win over MS in Japan without games, and somehow expects to go after Nintendo, without games?

More games in the line of WKC is what Sony needs.

Azure J

Seriously, who could have honestly guessed that this would be the outcome of the PlayStation juggernauts of yesteryear? Honestly, this just goes to show that HD is pretty risky stuff. Also, needs moar games Sony.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Sho_Nuff82 said:
It's a nice thought, but if these games are Killzone, Infamous, and GoW 3, they won't make a bit of difference in Japan no matter how awesome they are.

You forgot one, but it's best not to open up any of these cans of worms.

Ranger X

Also, when they see Microsoft moneyhating deals and esclusives left and right they should do the same!

Fire by Fire Mr. Irai.

Smokey

-Kh- said:
If he is so worried, he should look towards MS first, and see how they are starting to run away in Japan.

Kaz has his priorities wrong, he expects to win over MS in Japan without games, and somehow expects to go after Nintendo, without games?

More games in the line of WKC is what Sony needs.

Don't get it twisted...MS isn't running away with anything. They are ALMOST a non threat in Japan.

But yes, they do need JRPGs. Badly.

Slowpoke said:
"The thing that I did when I took over last year was to boast the appeal of games themselves... The main premise of the PS3 is video games. That's the absolutely most important thing that we cannot lose sight of. We cannot allow Nintendo run off alone."

slowpokewb0.gif

a.wd

I have said it before, nintendo bought a thermo nucleart weapon to a knife fight, Sony had the old and blunted blade from last gen and thought they had this gen all sewed up...never mind mate there is always....the gen after next...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Should have paid whatever you could have for Monster Hunter PS3. Or at least to have kept it on PS3.

See what it did for PSP.

Sho_Nuff82 said:

Don't forget that all budgets for every first party Sony game have to start and be approved by SCEI first and foremost since they are the parent company so as president of SCEI, Kaz is the one who is giving the priority to western developed games over eastern developed games.

snatches

The main issue for Sony was the inclusion of BluRay. If Sony launched with MS @ $399 and no Blu Ray this generation would look completely different. Just think about it. Blu Ray inclusion won't pay off for at least another 18 months to 2 years. By then it will be too late to repeat the ps2's performance.

seat

Kaz Hirai said:
The thing that I did when I took over last year was to boast the appeal of games themselves... The main premise of the PS3 is video games. That's the absolutely most important thing that we cannot lose sight of.

Well Kaz, it's going to be an uphill battle when you've put games on the back burner in favor of Blu-Ray for so long.

Amir0x

Banned
snatches said:
The main issue for Sony was the inclusion of BluRay. If Sony launched with MS @ $399 and no Blu Ray this generation would look completely different. Just think about it. Blu Ray inclusion won't pay off for at least another 18 months to 2 years. By then it will be too late to repeat the ps2's performance.

I used to believe if Sony PS3 came in at $299, they would have won.

I think they certainly would have been in a MUCH better position, no doubt. But looking at the landscape (in retrospect) I actually think a loss was coming to them one way or the other. The groundwork was laid with the DS, which gave consumers a desire for this 'different' software, regardless of that software's actual value. If it was different, it was enough.

Gaborn

Guy Legend said:
1. More games
2. Price drop
3. Bring back backwards compatibility

Get to it Sony.

Honestly, although it would REALLY hurt profitability, if Sony wants consumers to start going to the PS3 they HAVE to not just bring back FULL backwards compatibility, they HAVE to kill the PS2. Make it no longer available at retail, make it not an option any more. I know it would hurt them badly in terms of their bottom line for a bit, and I'm not sure it's even POSSIBLE to do that, but if they want the PS3 to have a chance of really picking up steam... that might be one way to do it.

snatches

Amir0x said:
I used to believe if Sony PS3 came in at $299, they would have won.

I think they certainly would have been in a MUCH better position, no doubt. But looking at the landscape (in retrospect) I actually think a loss was coming to them one way or the other. The groundwork was laid with the DS, which gave consumers a desire for this 'different' software, regardless of that software's actual value. If it was different, it was enough.

Agreed. Nintendo would have still broke new ground but Sony would be laying the smackdown on MS and if Sony was pacing the 360's price since launch then MS wouldn't have had a chance.

Top Bottom