• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire reached its $1.1m goal in less than a day.

Evilore bought all the portraits again didn't he? ��

I really wanted one.

He should buy the islands, inns and everything too that he can be the evil ruler over that we have to choose to keep peaceful relations with, work for or aid an uprising which ultimately fails and your character is banished from ever returning.

arcticice

Torment should tide you over in the meantime, that has everything (including some of the people involved) that a Black Isle/Obsidian fan could want.

Torment looks awesome, but I want Obsidian to branch out to consoles with their latest games as well. Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol, South Park - all were amazing.

Realistically, the unannounced RPG for next gen might be the only game from Obsidian i'll get to play this time around

Arulan

CRPGs are back!

This is the second-wave of crowd-funded RPGs.

Torment looks awesome, but I want Obsidian to branch out to consoles with their latest games as well. Fallout NV, Alpha Protocol, South Park - all were amazing.

Realistically, the unannounced RPG for next gen might be the only game from Obsidian i'll get to play this time around

Why not give their PC titles a shot?

As for the action RPG, I'm not sure I'd put much stock in that, given it bears resemblance to a cancelled Xbox One RPG from a few years back. That said, the speculation for Obsidian's future projects include a Vampire: The Masquerade game, and a turn-based historically-focused RPG, ala Darklands. Those could potentially receive ports.

Congrats to everyone at Obsidian! I finally started playing the first game, I'm really pleased how much I'm enjoying it. Early location spoiler -
arriving in the Gilded Vale was a shock and a half.
The backgrounds are fantastic, and PoE2's look even better.

Did this game really need crowd sourced funding?
They could've made it without it obviously, but it would've been far more limited in scope.

Making games like this isn't cheap but it costs millions of dollars. Obsidian is a fairly big studio and the genre doesn't sell that much. The first game isn't even a million seller. Having a successful crowdfunding campaign also gives massive visibility, which will affect how it will sell.

So it's certainly not just trying to grab people's money and saving their own. They obviously put a lot of money of their into it too, and they get some from elsewhere, but this helps them with making it bigger in scope and also keeping their financial state more secure.

arcticice

This is the second-wave of crowd-funded RPGs.

Why not give their PC titles a shot?

As for the action RPG, I'm not sure I'd put much stock in that, given it bears resemblance to a cancelled Xbox One RPG from a few years back. That said, the speculation for Obsidian's future projects include a Vampire: The Masquerade game, and a turn-based historically-focused RPG, ala Darklands. Those could potentially receive ports.

I have left PC gaming since X360, Wii, PS3 came out, and just can't play on it anymore. I even bought a few games on Steam sale last year and haven't even downloaded them. It just seems unnatural to me now.

And as i said, any console port from Obsidian would be great. I enjoy their approach to RPGs

I backed the first but could never finish it. I have such a hard time getting into RTWP games recently. Happy they were successful though.

Caronte

I'm disappointed that they went with the NPC reward again. I hope they don't stand out as much as they did in the first game.

Hyped for the game anyway, congrats to Obsidian.

Violet_0

Banned
I'm disappointed that they went with the NPC reward again. I hope they don't stand out as much as they did in the first game.

Hyped for the game anyway, congrats to Obsidian.

there's only 10 of them, they'll probably have tighter control over them this time and give them proper dialogue instead of a wall of text

Durante

They put it up for a vote and, once again, the Internet fucked up. But it looks fun anyway.
I also wanted RTwP, but honestly, given how much trouble inXile has demonstrated so far in creating a really good UI for their CRPG projects, I'm not sure how well they would have handled it. RTwP thrives on good UI, and it's harder to do (IMHO) than for TB. And of course there's the whole console port question with it.

Moff

Good for them, but I no longer back games after inexile made retail releases with more items and for less money then the physical tiers for people who backed and supported Torment years ago.

Sure that doesn't reflect on Obsidian in any way. But I think I am just generally done with backing.

Deathknell

Cool, now give me italian localization through stretch goals and my soul is yours.

Fuck you inXile (they cancelled italian from torment a month before launch).

Cool, now give me italian localization through stretch goals and my soul is yours.

Fuck you inXile (they cancelled italian from torment a month before launch).

Did they crowdsourced the localization like in Wasteland2?

I participated in that one, and it was released later iirc

It says sold out. DId you just make up the difference yourself?

Yeah, someone bought the first one. I quickly secured the second one.

zZ7T4YXl.png

I'll create a proper thread later in the afternoon.

Want to donate? CLICK BELOW!

GOAL MET: $60.98 of $5021.

Deathknell

Did they crowdsourced the localization like in Wasteland2?

I participated in that one, and it was released later iirc

No it was included from the beginning:

"As thanks for backing us, you'll receive the full version of Torment: Tides of Numenera on release, DRM-free or from a selection of digital distributors on Windows, Mac and Linux. Available languages are: English, French, German, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish."

Worth noting that Torment is getting a PS4/Xbox One release. But I certainly think that Obsidian's focus should be PC.

and im sure the game was compromised in who knows how many areas because of this. Its impossible that it wasnt, simply because they are trying to force the entire game on a pad, when M/KB offers almost endless design options in comparrison. But they also made it turn based, which makes it easier. Makes me wonder if they rigged the votes back then so turn based came out on top because its easier for gamepad adaptation. Pillars is real time

Top Bottom