• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity:Complete Edition|OT| The perfect chance to revisit Raedric's Hold

Raven117

Just pick a theme and run with it. if the going gets tough just turn down the difficulty. You can crunch numbers on another play-through. This method of playing RPGs has made them way more entertaining for me, and I finish them much faster.

What do you mean by theme? And Im playing on easy.

Anno

Nearing what I assume is the end of Act 2, and loving this game badly. How could I sleep on it?

One odd thing that stood out though (act 2 major spoilers):
Why doesn't the game/journal acknowledge that I was just talking to Thaos' soul in the sanitarium? It refers to him as a "Leaden Key operative" when the dialogue clearly states that people know it's Thaos.

I went and looked through the journal entries for The Man Who Waits and
one of the entries did refer to Thaos but not by name. It just said something like "the man I seek" or something.

More broadly, story inconsistencies can usually be chocked up to the rather hurried nature of getting the project done and out the door. Eric Fenstermaker and Josh Sawyer have both said that the story is basically a first draft with very few editing passes, so some stuff slips through. Some of it not even small! (mid act 2 spoilers)
Ciphers shouldn't possess the skills they employ in Dunryd Row like looking through soul histories and what not. That should be the sole province of a Watcher. Unfortunately it's just a misunderstanding between writers that slipped through into the main game.

I picked this up last week and totally digging....however, this is my first real attempt at one of these CRPGs.

I am terrified Im going to make an ineffective build. Should I just pick what skills sound interesting and move on? Every time I level up, Im basically paralzed from picking something.

I have a hard enough time with my cipher, when My wizard levels up...eff...I don't want to keep looking up guides every few seconds

Is there any general advice you guys have that may help a beginner like me?

The game is designed to be viable with basically any party so just do what seems good to you and I'm nearly sure you can make it work. Don't worry about wizard spells that much - you'll learn basically all of them through other grimoires. For Ciphers, which don't get the same benefit, I guess it depends somewhat what theme you want out of them.

Also remember that you can respec at any time at an inn so if something is working out just go pay the copper and try something new.

What do you mean by theme? And Im playing on easy.

Like, a character idea. Don't worry about min-maxing, if you wanna play a Halfling Barbarian who dual wields knives just go for it. Whatever you come up with may not be ideal but the game isn't so punishing that you can't beat it with an imperfect build.

Raven117

The game is designed to be viable with basically any party so just do what seems good to you and I'm nearly sure you can make it work. Don't worry about wizard spells that much - you'll learn basically all of them through other grimoires. For Ciphers, which don't get the same benefit, I guess it depends somewhat what theme you want out of them.

Also remember that you can respec at any time at an inn so if something is working out just go pay the copper and try something new.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to get in there and not be afraid to screw something up!

Any tips on general battle? I can never seem to position my wizards and ciphers correctly without wrecking everyone.

Like, a character idea. Don't worry about min-maxing, if you wanna play a Halfling Barbarian who dual wields knives just go for it. Whatever you come up with may not be ideal but the game isn't so punishing that you can't beat it with an imperfect build.
Yeah, I guess I just need to go for it.

Anno

Thanks for the advice. I guess I just need to get in there and not be afraid to screw something up!

Any tips on general battle? I can never seem to position my wizards and ciphers correctly without wrecking everyone.

By wrecking everyone do you mean your wizard getting wrecked or him AoEing your own guys?

Raven117

By wrecking everyone do you mean your wizard getting wrecked or him AoEing your own guys?

Usually my own guys. Sometimes my wizard (i figure this is just me using my tanks correctly). Im more asking about how to properly position wizards and spell casters relative to a group to AoE effectively.

Yeah, I guess I just need to go for it.

Use your front line fighters to engage as much of the enemy as you can, sort of drawing a line between your guys, and your opponents (think of the offensive line in football). Your mages are your quarterback, they sit behind this line and rely on it for protection. If you are using AOE damage spells like fireballs and such use the indicator to gauge where to throw it; you can usually make it so it hits only your opponents and not your friends if they are stacked up on your front line. If you need to cast a conal aoe or a touch spell, move around your fighters on the flank (like a running play).

Honestly, you can avoid a lot of trouble with friendly fire by having your mages use mostly status debuffing spells to start, or direct damage spells that can't be cast on, or damage friends (like magic missiles). Another mage trick are the "staff" spells, like Concelhault's Parasitic, which give your mage a powerful, longer range melee weapon. He can then poke over the heads of your front line, safe behind them but still doing damage. Alternatively, you can give your mage a gun or some other ranged weapon for some safe dps if you don't want to waste spells.

I'm digging the game but having trouble following what's going on in the story and world. There is a ton of background history referenced, different alliances, leaders etc. I just got to the town with the Goose and Fox so not very far in. Does the story get any more streamlined so that I can eventually follow it?

Anno

Usually my own guys. Sometimes my wizard (i figure this is just me using my tanks correctly). Im more asking about how to properly position wizards and spell casters relative to a group to AoE effectively.

A lot of your AoEs probably aren't even hitting your guys. If the AoE indicator color is yellow it'll only hit enemies; only the red area will friendly fire. So some spells are yellow only and you don't need to worry at all whereas others have a foe-only yellow border that you can use to position them. The higher your Intelligence the larger the extra/foe-only AoE is.

Do you have a tank and off-tank? You should, and those are basically your 'wall', and your casters should be a few steps behind them. Make sure your casters also have high Intellect, as that increases their AoE radius. Specifically you should see a red circle that highlights an area, that hits everyone. You'll see a yellow circle outside the red: this is the bonus you get from intellect stat. In this yellow area, only enemies can be hit with your ability, never your own guys. You should abuse this fact at every opportunity.

Also try looking for spells that only target enemies, they're labeled as "Foe AOE:" in the spell description. Wizards don't have a lot of these but druids and priests have a ton as I recall. Those you can feel free to throw about as you please.

Just a general tip for wizards: Go more for Crowd Control spells than damage spells. Confusions spells (at rank 2 and 4) are crazy useful. Blindness, terrified and sleep/unconscious are also great. You make your enemies far less effective, the rest of your party should mop them up with ease.

P.S. Evard's Black Tentacles Baby
19DBE24E71B68CF00979C66315C60AA4B22E2888

Raven117

Use your front line fighters to engage as much of the enemy as you can, sort of drawing a line between your guys, and your opponents (think of the offensive line in football). Your mages are your quarterback, they sit behind this line and rely on it for protection. If you are using AOE damage spells like fireballs and such use the indicator to gauge where to throw it; you can usually make it so it hits only your opponents and not your friends if they are stacked up on your front line. If you need to cast a conal aoe or a touch spell, move around your fighters on the flank (like a running play).

Honestly, you can avoid a lot of trouble with friendly fire by having your mages use mostly status debuffing spells to start, or direct damage spells that can't be cast on, or damage friends (like magic missiles). Another mage trick are the "staff" spells, like Concelhault's Parasitic, which give your mage a powerful, longer range melee weapon. He can then poke over the heads of your front line, safe behind them but still doing damage. Alternatively, you can give your mage a gun or some other ranged weapon for some safe dps if you don't want to waste spells.
This is some solid advice to start thinking through an encounter. Thanks!

A lot of your AoEs probably aren't even hitting your guys. If the AoE indicator color is yellow it'll only hit enemies; only the red area will friendly fire. So some spells are yellow only and you don't need to worry at all whereas others have a foe-only yellow border that you can use to position them. The higher your Intelligence the larger the extra/foe-only AoE is.
This is a fantastic tip. I

Do you have a tank and off-tank? You should, and those are basically your 'wall', and your casters should be a few steps behind them. Make sure your casters also have high Intellect, as that increases their AoE radius. Specifically you should see a red circle that highlights an area, that hits everyone. You'll see a yellow circle outside the red: this is the bonus you get from intellect stat. In this yellow area, only enemies can be hit with your ability, never your own guys. You should abuse this fact at every opportunity.

Also try looking for spells that only target enemies, they're labeled as "Foe AOE:" in the spell description. Wizards don't have a lot of these but druids and priests have a ton as I recall. Those you can feel free to throw about as you please.

Just a general tip for wizards: Go more for Crowd Control spells than damage spells. Confusions spells (at rank 2 and 4) are crazy useful. Blindness, terrified and sleep/unconscious are also great. You make your enemies far less effective, the rest of your party should mop them up with ease.

P.S. Evard's Black Tentacles Baby
Ive seen this "off wall" whats that?

Altairre

Just finished it. The last bit of the game felt a little bit rushed but the actual events and story beats themselves remain engaging and well executed. I quite like the questions that are posed and the answers you can try to give. The themes are certainly nothing new but they put their own spin on it and that was enough in this case. Curious what they'll do with the second one, there are definitely more than a couple of interesting directions they could go.

A tank wall? See this picture I took
I'm using a natural chokepoint of the stone walkway
The three bunched up next to the enemies are tanks blocking their path to get to my guys hanging out in the back
The one on the left (Eder) is my main tank - almost all of his talents and abilities are focused towards making him tougher: more deflection, more hp, more recovery, etc.
The one in the middle is my 'off-tank' (Pallegina) - she has a mix of abilities that are meant for tanking and for doing damage. Paladins and fighters are both great at this. For tough fights she uses a sword and shield, for easy fights her 2H sword
The one on the right is Sagani's pet: He's an offoff tank, basically just a sack of hit points to get in the way until he dies for the fight. Pets don't have HP pools, only endurance. They can die over and over and over during fights and you don't have to rest in order to restore them.

My dudes in the back are far enough away to not get targeted by ranged often, and impossible for melee to get to them. They are close enough however to still use their spells and abilities on the enemies front line. Rarely does it work out this pretty but this is the gist of it.

Hope this helps.

This is some solid advice to start thinking through an encounter. Thanks!

This is a fantastic tip. I

An Off-Tank is basically a second melee fighter whose job is handle any additional enemies who your primary tank can't due to engagement limits or whatever. Usually they aren't as tanky as your first in guy, leaning more towards a mix of damage and survivability (since you don't always need two full-timr tanks, and the DPS can be more useful in smaller engagements.). You usually want this guy fighting alongside your main tank, extending your shieldwall in a choke point, or in the back peeling off enemies from your mages and rangers. I sometimes like to run a third melee fighter as a skirmisher in this role, or for rushing the enemy back line and forcing their mages in close range combat.

Raven117

A tank wall? See this picture I took

I'm using a natural chokepoint of the stone walkway
The three bunched up next to the enemies are tanks blocking their path to get to my guys hanging out in the back
The one on the left (Eder) is my main tank - almost all of his talents and abilities are focused towards making him tougher: more deflection, more hp, more recovery, etc.
The one in the middle is my 'off-tank' (Pallegina) - she has a mix of abilities that are meant for tanking and for doing damage. Paladins and fighters are both great at this. For tough fights she uses a sword and shield, for easy fights her 2H sword
The one on the right is Sagani's pet: He's an offoff tank, basically just a sack of hit points to get in the way until he dies for the fight. Pets don't have HP pools, only endurance. They can die over and over and over during fights and you don't have to rest in order to restore them.

My dudes in the back are far enough away to not get targeted by ranged often, and impossible for melee to get to them. They are close enough however to still use their spells and abilities on the enemies front line. Rarely does it work out this pretty but this is the gist of it.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, that makes sense. I was curious about the "off-tank."

An Off-Tank is basically a second melee fighter whose job is handle any additional enemies who your primary tank can't due to engagement limits or whatever. Usually they aren't as tanky as your first in guy, leaning more towards a mix of damage and survivability (since you don't always need two full-timr tanks, and the DPS can be more useful in smaller engagements.). You usually want this guy fighting alongside your main tank, extending your shieldwall in a choke point, or in the back peeling off enemies from your mages and rangers. I sometimes like to run a third melee fighter as a skirmisher in this role, or for rushing the enemy back line and forcing their mages in close range combat.

Okay this makes sense.

Another quick question as you kinda brought it up. How many "tank/off tank" people do you need (as a beginner) and how many DPS (and which classes)?

Another quick question as you kinda brought it up. How many "tank/off tank" people do you need (as a beginner) and how many DPS (and which classes)?

Ideally:

Tank (Paladin or Fighter)
Off-Tank/DPS (Paladin, Fighter, Chanter, Barbarian, Monk, Wizard*)
Support (Priest, Chanter, Wizard, Cipher, Druid)
Support/DPS (Wizard, Cipher, Druid)
DPS - Anyone but Priest (Cipher)
DPS - Anyone but Priest

Support is crowd control, debuffing and buffing.
*Yes Wizard really.
**Added my 'perfect' ideal party in bold

Raven117

Ideally:

Tank (Paladin or Fighter)
Off-Tank/DPS (Paladin, Fighter, Chanter, Barbarian, Monk, Wizard*)
Support (Priest, Chanter, Wizard, Cipher, Druid)
Support/DPS (Wizard, Cipher, Druid)
DPS - Anyone but Priest (Cipher)
DPS - Anyone but Priest

Support is crowd control, debuffing and buffing.
*Yes Wizard really.
**Added my 'perfect' ideal party in bold

Great suggestions!

Anno

I would add in that a Druid is basically a perfect backline protecting class. You can stand in human form and cast some of the best spells in the game and if someone breaks through the ranks you can throw down a Storm spell, shapeshift and put out near rogue-caliber melee DPS to eat up those attacking your squishier backline heroes.

Terrorblot

Question: is there a point to picking up the base game and the white march all at once or can I just pick up the base game and see if I like it and upgrade from there?

Unai

Question: is there a point to picking up the base game and the white march all at once or can I just pick up the base game and see if I like it and upgrade from there?

The new content is only available in Act 2, so I'd say play the first act and if you like it buy the DLC later.

Anno

The new content is only available in Act 2, so I'd say play the first act and if you like it buy the DLC later.

Yeah this is the way to go. If you get to about level 7 and are enjoying the game and want more (and the best parts) then look into picking up White March. It'll slot right in to your save.

Staf

My party:
Tank (Fighter sword and shield)
Off-tank 1/Support (Paladin with a big nasty hammer)
Off-tank 2 (dual wielding barbarian)
Ranger with bow
Priest with a gun (and attitude)
Me (Wizard)

I really love this combo. The paladin is a perfect frontline support with lay on hands (and can ressurect the priest when needed) but also can take a beating and dish out. The paladin is no doubt my party's most valuable member considering the damage output and support.

Some good tips in the above posts, one thing I can't figure out is if someone is out of edurance in battle and "dies" is it possible to bring them back in that battle?

Staf

Some good tips in the above posts, one thing I can't figure out is if someone is out of edurance in battle and "dies" is it possible to bring them back in that battle?

They can be brought back with a high level priest spell (i think it's lvl 6) or the paladin talent (can't remember the name).

BeeDog

I went and looked through the journal entries for The Man Who Waits and
one of the entries did refer to Thaos but not by name. It just said something like "the man I seek" or something.

More broadly, story inconsistencies can usually be chocked up to the rather hurried nature of getting the project done and out the door. Eric Fenstermaker and Josh Sawyer have both said that the story is basically a first draft with very few editing passes, so some stuff slips through. Some of it not even small! (mid act 2 spoilers)
Ciphers shouldn't possess the skills they employ in Dunryd Row like looking through soul histories and what not. That should be the sole province of a Watcher. Unfortunately it's just a misunderstanding between writers that slipped through into the main game.

Thanks for clarifying. Too bad they didn't really have time to refine the story, but what I've experience so far is still very, very good. Captivating game.

Giolon

I picked this up last week and totally digging....however, this is my first real attempt at one of these CRPGs.

I am terrified Im going to make an ineffective build. Should I just pick what skills sound interesting and move on? Every time I level up, Im basically paralzed from picking something.

I have a hard enough time with my cipher, when My wizard levels up...eff...I don't want to keep looking up guides every few seconds

Is there any general advice you guys have that may help a beginner like me?

Just pay some basic attention to tool tips on things to find out what you think is important for your character (Strength for brawlers, Intellect for spellcasters, Deflection for tanks, etc. type stuff). Pick skills you think fit your character or would be fun. You can always adjust difficulty level. You also have the ability to re-spec any character at an inn/tavern for a nominal fee (500g per level I think?).

Great advice from all the other posters who responded too!

Anno

I'll have to look into that as I'm level 8 now so I must have missed it.

Priests don't get it until power level 5, which is level 9. So you're almost there. If you have a Paladin they get a revive at level 7 that's generally more useful since it doesn't eat a per rest spell.

IvorB

Right now I've got Eder and Pallegina (sp?) in the frontline. The priest is healing and support but also an armoured frontline character. Then druid, wizard and cipher in ranged. I'm very happy with this composition but I encountered a barbarian last night that I want to try out but can't decide who they should replace. Decisions...

Altairre

Here's the party constellation I finished the game with:

Edér: Tank (Sword and shield)
Me (Monk): Off-Tank/DPS (Unarmed; I went for DPS at the start but after looking at all the talents I realized how tanky you can build even with light armor)
Maneha: DPS/Squishy killer (Two handed, Abydon's Hammer more specifically; MVP in the late game, frenzy, leap onto the backline and just murder everything, you also have a pretty large aoe stun if you need it)
Durance: Support (He's the buff/heal machine, not much else to say)
Grieving Mother: Support (Crossbow; this was Aloth's spot for most of the game but I switched it because some of her spells work really well in synergy with Maneha to make her even more of a beast)
Sagani: DPS (Bow; Rangers just do a lot of damage later in the game and the Returning Storm casts with Stormcaller are a nice addition. You also have a fluffy fox companion so what's not to like?)

Anno

Sagani + Eder + pig pet is canon for the best animal lines imo.

End game Cipher is fun because Mindweb basically makes your entire team invincible.

Staf

I thought Sagani was pretty useless, until i got the fully upgraded soulbound weapon that shoots lightning. Now things go KABOOM!

molnizzle

Did the PC version get updated with the new controller UI, by chance? I already own the game there but haven’t played since the old controller support was pretty bad.

Anno

Did the PC version get updated with the new controller UI, by chance? I already own the game there but haven’t played since the old controller support was pretty bad.

No, and it seems unlikely to. So there's really only Steam controller support, which actually isn't half bad.

Priests don't get it until power level 5, which is level 9. So you're almost there. If you have a Paladin they get a revive at level 7 that's generally more useful since it doesn't eat a per rest spell.

I'll have a look at the paladin spell,I think I've made a mess of her as she's very squishy.

Staf

Game finished. What a ride! I loved it! Clocked in at 120 hours. While the combat got stale at the end (which all combat systems would with that many hours for me), the story was great and i really loved the companions.

I did get a save bug after a while that persisted to the end though. But other than that this is a very good port and i hope we get more like it on the console.

Right now it's either this game or Horizon: Zero Dawn that's my GOTY. Can't see any game on the horizon toping these two tbh.

And thanks for the help during this playthrough Anno! You've been invaluable lol.

TheChaos

Right now I've got Eder and Pallegina (sp?) in the frontline. The priest is healing and support but also an armoured frontline character. Then druid, wizard and cipher in ranged. I'm very happy with this composition but I encountered a barbarian last night that I want to try out but can't decide who they should replace. Decisions...

Replace your Wizard. Ciphers already have good crowd control status effects and the Druid handles the DPS spells.

Anno

Game finished. What a ride! I loved it! Clocked in at 120 hours. While the combat got stale at the end (which all combat systems would with that many hours for me), the story was great and i really loved the companions.

I did get a save bug after a while that persisted to the end though. But other than that this is a very good port and i hope we get more like it on the console.

Right now it's either this game or Horizon: Zero Dawn that's my GOTY. Can't see any game on the horizon toping these two tbh.

And thanks for the help during this playthrough Anno! You've been invaluable lol.

Glad to help. It's one of my favorite games so I like helping people and just talking about it in general lol. Hopefully Obsidian finds enough demand on console to look at a port of Deadfire because, if you haven't looked into that at all, basically everything looks several hundred % better.

Altairre

I thought Sagani was pretty useless, until i got the fully upgraded soulbound weapon that shoots lightning. Now things go KABOOM!

Yup, that's when I put her back in my party. Talents like the double shot and the ability to hit multiple targets help as well.

I can no longer progress through the White March.

When trying to take the dial out of the vat near the forge, I can't beat the fight that comes after.

Is there no other way to get this item?

Edit: I was able to cheese it by
using the doorway

Nooooo, I took the second quest for the Dozens without realizing it would lock me out of House Doemenel. I didn't know there would be a sweet criminal organization I could join :( :( :(. Super bummed right now.

I thought it was just between the Knights and the Dozens.

Thorgal

i know this game is perfectly beatable with pretty much any build but if i wanted to try a run where i would try to min max is there any place that did the number crunching and can tell what the min maxing party would look like ?

Anno

i know this game is perfectly beatable with pretty much any build but if i wanted to try a run where i would try to min max is there any place that did the number crunching and can tell what the min maxing party would look like ?

Best place I can think of is the build forum on the Obsidian boards. Dunno if there's anything about min/maxed parties but you can find a lot of the best min/max builds and choose six that sound fun.

Alright, bottom of the page. Let’s see if this post gets noticed.

I ordered this on a whim. Burned out on Destiny 2 a bit and after reading the chapter in “Blood, Sweat, and Pixels” on Pillars of Eternity, I decided I wanted to try a more traditional and rich RPG with good dialogue options and what have you.

Thing is I love isometric games, but I’ve only ever played the more action-RPG stuff like Baldur’s Gate Dark Alliance and Champions of Norrath on PS2, and more recently Diablo Reaper of Souls on PS4.

Will I enjoy this? I’ve never been a PC gamer and have never been exposed to the classic, old school RPGs. I think I bought this wanting something closer to Diablo, but that might have been a mistake.

Edit: Ordered the PS4 version. Don’t have a gaming rig.

Top Bottom