• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars Of Eternity:Complete Edition|OT| The perfect chance to revisit Raedric's Hold

Staf

So, are there any hidden time limits on quests? I remember those being present in Baldur's gate for some of the companion quests.

Staf

Also, thinking of heading back to that asshole Raedric and his mates again. I'm level 5 with a better equipped party now.

b79nr8w.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So, are there any hidden time limits on quests? I remember those being present in Baldur's gate for some of the companion quests.

Nope.

There are 2 companions who need to be actively in your party for a good amount of time if you want to complete their companion quests, but that's about it.

Companions:
Durance, Grieving Mother

Staf

Nope.

There are 2 companions who need to be actively in your party for a good amount of time if you want to complete their companion quests, but that's about it.

Companions:
Durance, Grieving Mother

Thanks. That's a relief. I'm taking my time exploring and doing some side-quests, having a blast. I got to the big city and did a quest that gave me a new companion that i really love, the
paladin woman/bird/whatever
. Now i'm going back to the castle to try doing some of that dungeon.

Made a start on ps4 today, got to the Vale and recruited a couple of guys, I like what I've seen so far, the movement does seem a little jerk occasionally though.

Is there any way to centre the camera back on your characters if you've moved it around?

xuchu

Ok, I double dipped for PS4. Rolling Fire Godlike Priest to show the Dyrwood the return of the Godhammer on PotD.

IvorB

Well, this release got me to fire up my Divinity Original Sin playthrough and push towards the end (just need to round up some outstanding star stones). Then I can actually look at potentially getting this game. I always hear people rave about Obsidian's writing and that was where Divinity was weakest so would be interested to try this out.

🎶🎶🎶 Hello Darkness My Old Friend 🎶🎶🎶

Can't wait to jump back in this time from my couch

Nope, no time limits. Some quests just require specific party members - you can always swap them out so no sweat.

Game is fantastic in every single way.

TRUE Baldur's Gate 3.

Staf

Nope, no time limits. Some quests just require specific party members - you can always swap them out so no sweat.

Game is fantastic in every single way.

TRUE Baldur's Gate 3.

I love it. I especially love the companions, they truly are Baldur's gate 2 caliber (so far). Only down-side for me is that the main-story basically does nothing for me, unlike Baldur's gate 2 which is AAA.

Lister

Banned
I love it. I especially love the companions, they truly are Baldur's gate 2 caliber (so far). Only down-side for me is that the main-story basically does nothing for me, unlike Baldur's gate 2 which is AAA.

I have heard this a few times. Don't get it.

The hollowborn was a compellign hook for me. Imagine giving birth to hollow beings. The despair of the parents, the fear of the people and their desperate search for the cause (or a scapegoat).

Staf

I have heard this a few times. Don't get it.

The hollowborn was a compellign hook for me. Imagine giving birth to hollow beings. The despair of the parents, the fear of the people and their desperate search for the cause (or a scapegoat).

I agree the premise is interesting as fuck. But i recently got to the main city (at least i think it's the main city) and they haven't really done anything interesting with it. But i'm fairly early so... Still this is a GOTY contender for me.

Anno

I think people like BG2s main narrative more for the same reason I kinda don't, which is just the epic scale. Pillars in comparison is very small scale. It's also very slow to develop, which again I enjoy as it gave me time to learn all the side stuff about the world.

Staf

I think people like BG2s main narrative more for the same reason I kinda don't, which is just the epic scale. Pillars in comparison is very small scale. It's also very slow to develop, which again I enjoy as it gave me time to learn all the side stuff about the world.

Not sure if it's that. But Pillars got way better side-quests than BG2 though.

Anno

For what its worth, if you're just getting to Defiance Bay then you've barely even started the main quest. That said I don't think it's the strongest part of the games narrative, though I do think it's quite a bit better the second time through when you know the stuff revealed to you later. It's kinda frustrating overall.

looks tempting. are there any talks of doing a complete edition on PC?

Someone from Obsidian on the Pillars Reddit said "Maybe". Also the console launch is obviously being looked at closely regarding controller support on PC and probably any chance Deadfire has in the future.

The Wart

BG2's plot is pretty by-the-numbers epic fantasy, but it is extremely well-paced and mechanically just works. PoE has a more interesting (to me) premise and setting, but does a worse job at bread-and-butter stuff like giving you a clear motivation, setting the stakes for your character or for the world, pacing, etc.

jimmypython

Someone from Obsidian on the Pillars Reddit said "Maybe". Also the console launch is obviously being looked at closely regarding controller support on PC and probably any chance Deadfire has in the future.

Good to know!

It has been forever since I have a decent PC. Pillars is the first game I wanted to play on. But the same content would cost around 100 Canadian $, as opposed to 60 on the console lol

Staf

For what its worth, if you're just getting to Defiance Bay then you've barely even started the main quest. That said I don't think it's the strongest part of the games narrative, though I do think it's quite a bit better the second time through when you know the stuff revealed to you later. It's kinda frustrating overall.

I suspected as much. I have 23 hours of play time but i mostly just go around exploring and doing side-quests and talking to everyone. I'm having so much fun doing this stuff that i have mostly neglected the main quest lol.

Lots of new people in this thread I'm sure so I won't discuss spoilers at all, but the narrative pay-off and villain for PoE really don't hold a candle to Baldur's Gate 2 at all. BG2 was both a personal narrative AND a significant regional threat, which Pillars tries to ape and fails for reasons I can't get into without talking about the ending.

Thankfully the expansion (White March) does this significantly better.

I love Pillars to death but let's not say things we can't take back. Planar sphere? Firkraag? Watcher's Keep? A decent number of the companion side quests (Keldorn, Jan, Haer'Dalis spring to mind)? A whole Sahaugin city?!

Sinatar

Yea I really liked Pillars but let's not go crazy, BG2 has the best side quests in the history of the genre.

Is the text big enough on PS4? Kinda wanna play with a controller but if it's gonna be hard to read the dialog on my tv I may not

pots555

The game is ok in my opinion. I am having a hard time taking in everything. The story is great but I feel like progress is really slow.

Sinatar

If i'm a newcomer to this genre. Is Pillars a good choice or Divinity Original Sin?

They are both pretty similar in complexity as far as a newcomer goes.

I'd say Divinity requires a little more brainpower to play in regards to solving quests, they don't sign post or hold your hand as much as Pillars does. But mechanically they are both about even.

Lister

Banned
Well Pillars I think compares veyr favorablly with BG1.

So let's wait for Pillars 2 to see how things turn out. I think they have a veyr good chance of beating the king of CRPG's, or at least become co-ruler.

Lister

Banned
They are both pretty similar in complexity as far as a newcomer goes.

I'd say Divinity requires a little more brainpower to play in regards to solving quests, they don't sign post or hold your hand as much as Pillars does. But mechanically they are both about even.

I liked that a lot about Divinity.

Man, the perfect CRPG would be something with the narrative focus of Pillars, the quest design, quality, and quantity of a BG2, the combat challenge of Pillars, but the quest design challenge of Divinity.

My god.

Thetinman

So far not in love with Pillars I like it hoping it grows on me. By this time I was all about Divinity and Wastelands 2.

Staf

Hey, BG2 is my GOAT. And i do think it have awesome side-quests. But from what i've played so far of Pillars i think the side-quests are better. But i'm only 20 hours in.

By the way just got
Grieving Mother
and that was some fucking A-class writing. Intense shit!

Edit: And i might just be suffering from a new found love and therefore overvalue the side-quests of PoE against BG2. Haven't played BG2 for about a year or so there might be some bias...

Staf

The quest log is really starting to become a hassle though. Don't know why they keep finished quests in the list, makes the scrolling taking ages. They should have an toggle to hide completed quests.

Lister

Banned

I don't own a console version, but looking at the few streams I've watched it doesn't look like it. The load times are the only concern, everything else seems fine.

I'd still pick the Pc verison over the console one if that's an option though, not just for laoding times either.

That radial menu is so slow and clunky compared to just selecting the ability with mouse and keyboard. Really slows down the pace of combat, and not ina good way,

GHG

I don't own a console version, but looking at the few streams I've watched it doesn't look like it. The load times are the only concern, everything else seems fine.

I'd still pick the Pc verison over the console one if that's an option though, not just for laoding times either.

That radial menu is so slow and clunky compared to just selecting the ability with mouse and keyboard. Really slows down the pace of combat, and not ina good way,

The radial menu is fine provided you pause the combat, you get used to it. If you want to use the radial menu in realtime then.... yeh you're going to have issues On the harder difficulty levels.

I've also had absolutely no issues with the load times on PS4 Pro for what it's worth, I'm about 6 hours in now and it's been great.

Lister

Banned
The radial menu is fine provided you pause the combat, you get used to it. If you want to use the radial menu in realtime then.... yeh you're going to have issues On the harder difficulty levels.

I've also had absolutely no issues with the load times on PS4 Pro for what it's worth, I'm about 6 hours in now and it's been great.

I mean compartively to the PC UI.

Just watched someone on Ps4 give 4 seperate commands to his party. This would have taken me 3 seconds tops on PC. It took him almost 10 times as long. When you're talking about a 50+ hour RPG, that's going to add up. Of course as he gets used to it he'll be quicker, but still, it's menus and submenus and sub-sub-menus.

Obviously this is just an inherent issue with gamepads when dealing with a game that is integrated into a mouse nad keyboard setup. Nothing to be done about it.

Something odd is going on with my Paladin, I've respec'd into a heavy Defensive build and done something like 17 cons, 17 might, 18 int, 17 res but notice that in my character sheet it shows might as 15 and cons at 12...do you think this is just bugged?

I tried just doing a respec but nothing changed, I also checked for anything that could be negatively reducing my stats but nothing active is.

Top Bottom