• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pillars of Eternity Gamescom footage

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
UI looks tight. Lots of modern sensibilities but only where appropriate. Infinity Engine 2014 through and through.

Altazor

Who said again it's just click and bash ?!
Anyway, I think it's cool but looks a bit cheap.
I'm talking about the textures.

which ones? character models? if so, I'd agree with you... but if you're talking about the environments, I'd respectfully disagree. I love how it looks, especially the amount of small details they can put into buildings.

RulkezX

Looks like I could still get Beta , but it's $125 , so I'll just wait until the full version comes out :) The footage looks great , though.

Vlodril

What happened to the gaf inn btw? last i remember shag was getting poll replies about construction materials.

adj_noun

What happened to the gaf inn btw? last i remember shag was getting poll replies about construction materials.

Shagg's the one to really give the details, but here's what I got from the Inn thread:

Obsidian sez:

Our lead designer is really itching to get these inns done, and we have an open inn spot in a major area of the game that's just waiting for a backer to send in their stuff. It'll be the first inn located in the main hub of the game near an awesome canal - and it's going to be first come first serve as to which backer gets it."

shagg_187 (the one who had contact with Obsidian) seemed very confident that GAF snagged this location. So that's something. :)

It's called the Goose and Fox. (GaF) The Innkeeper is "Bishop".

Name of Inn: "Goose and Fox"
Color: Yellow Orange
Floor: Brick
Wall Material: Brick
Window Shape: Round
Table Type: Round
Artwork: Portrait
Trophies: A Little Bit of Each (Adventurer Gear / Ancient Relics / Creatures)
Lighting: Bright and Lively
Room Type: Functional (single bed with matching accessories)
Exterior Sign: Round

Bishop details:

Full Name: Bishop
Race: Human
Class: Paladin
Hair: Short
Headwear: No hat or helmet
Weapon: Warhammer
Off-hand Item: No off-hand
Armor Type: Leather
Armor Color: Red

There's an item called the Bartender's Ring

Item Type: Ring
Item Name: Bartender's Ring
Item Color: Dark Yellow Orange
Item Appearance: A simple ring made of wood. The ring is not adorned with any gem, but has a simple wooden face that is half orange and half gray.
Item History: Asked about the history of the ring, the Bartender has been reluctant to share any information about its origins. Only a trusted few know how he obtained it; Some believe that it was a gift from one of the gods while others say that he received the ring after entering an evil pact with a demon. The only thing that is known is that the Bartender was banished many years ago and returned with the ring.

UI looks tight. Lots of modern sensibilities but only where appropriate. Infinity Engine 2014 through and through.

On the UI, I kinda hope they have keyboard shortcuts to open these submenus with abilities and stuff. Not a big issue with pauses but that's a lot of clicking to give very simple orders and when you have to repeatedly do it dozens of times every fight, I think I'll find it annoying.

Game looks great though, animations still a bit on the weak side but don't really care too much, the backgrounds are very detailed and well done, the spell effects look decent enough and most importantly for me the character creation looks insane.

Probably will spend 4-5hours just making characters before I even start playing the game. Also thank god for not having rolls. I know it was the D&D stuff but I really hated that part of BG/BG2, rolling until you get a decent enough amount of stats. Plus the stats being very cookie cutter per class so it was really a pointless step, but not in this.

ys45

Will not watch video I'm going on a blackout for this game .

The good news is the beta is coming real soon (next update at the end of the month IIRC)
Which mean we are getting closer to the release date and it gives me hope to play it this year, hopefully .

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I think it would be best if I went on a media blackout for this game. The single screenshot in the OP got me giddy.

Atrophis

That large fight with the beetles is pretty much what happens to my party every time I try to play ToEE shortly before I uninstall the game yet again. I hope I can figure out how not to suck with this game.

Kimaka

Looks like I could still get Beta , but it's $125 , so I'll just wait until the full version comes out :) The footage looks great , though.

You don't have to pay $125 for the beta. On the website, you can add it to your pledge for $25 until August 22.

Altazor

So reading the Obsidian forums for comments regarding the Gamescom stream and came upon this short one:

Hmm. I play role playing games to experience an interesting story in an interesting world.

I don't play role playing games to get repeatedly slaughtered by random beetles even on Easy.

So the Gamescom stream was rather a big letdown, really.

what do YOU think about that viewpoint? Do you think it reduces the RPG to an interactive novel, in that case? How challenging do you want a game to be - so hard that lowly grunts can wipe your party if you're not careful, or easy enough for you to overcome most obstacles and still enjoy the story? What if the game seems hard enough for you to actually get frustrated and stop playing?

Syril

So reading the Obsidian forums for comments regarding the Gamescom stream and came upon this short one:

what do YOU think about that viewpoint? Do you think it reduces the RPG to an interactive novel, in that case? How challenging do you want a game to be - so hard that lowly grunts can wipe your party if you're not careful, or easy enough for you to overcome most obstacles and still enjoy the story? What if the game seems hard enough for you to actually get frustrated and stop playing?

For me it really depends how into the story I am for any given game. If the story is the main reason I'm playing, then battles I keep losing aren't challenges, they're just obstacles that are in the way to the next part of the story.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

It's a work in progress so I'm not that worried about balance right now. Even then if some people find even Easy to be too hard for them this is a PC game and so they'll have more than enough options for trainers and stuff like Cheat Engine to help them buff or just make their character invulnerable so they can breeze though encounters you can't talk your way out of.

Chairman Yang

if he talks about books, you better damn well listen

I would like the game to be designed and balanced around providing a reasonable challenge for the main quest. Sidequests/optional content can be made harder to push the player's skill and understanding of the mechanics. Some stuff can be made easier to let the player experiment with tactics and character builds, feel empowered, whatever.

For players who want a more extreme challenge, optional modes can be included. PoE has a bunch of these.

For people who want to quickly bypass the game's challenge and focus on experiencing the story, characters, setting, etc. with a minimum of friction, I don't have any issues with including an "easy" mode...which PoE has. So the player's viewpoint is basically moot.

Altazor

For me it really depends how into the story I am for any given game. If the story is the main reason I'm playing, then battles I keep losing aren't challenges, they're just obstacles that are in the way to the next part of the story.

Yes, I can understand that. I'd guess it boils down to having a solid combat engine to make battles entertaining yet difficult enough when needed, so it doesn't become a complete chore or a sudden, insurmountable obstacle.

It's a work in progress so I'm not that worried about balance right now. Even then if some people find even Easy to be too hard for them this is a PC game and so they'll have more than enough options for trainers and stuff like Cheat Engine to help them buff or just make their character invulnerable so they can breeze though encounters you can't talk your way out of.

I'm of the mindset that most of these things will be fixed by the time of release - not all of them. A massive game is bound to have bugfixes that escape testing and I wouldn't blame them if that came to happen. If the game's a bug-infested mess (...pun not intended considering the Gamescom video) then that would be different and would mean a certain sloppiness from their part. In any case, I think the difficulty balance is going to be near the "hard" part of the scale overall. Considering PoE is a love letter to Infinity Engine games and those aren't a cakewalk (tell me, I'm currently playing Baldur's Gate 2 and sometimes getting very frustrated by it but loving it all the same), I don't think the "easy" setting will mean "click and things'll explode". And... yes, I guess cheats and mods and trainers are always going to be an option if you're desperate.

My mind is just completely blown at how much this literally looks like an Infinity Engine game updated for modern sensibilities. Its absolutely incredible.

Kyuur

Looks absolutely amazing. I have great faith in these guys. Day 1 since I wasn't part of the kickstarter.

If a game doesn't challenge me, or allow me to think creatively at least in some way.. I lose interest. Unless the game is obviously designed around a certain genre, like visual novels or text adventures.

Drake

It looks just like Baldur's Gate. I'm so happy I'm backed this. I'm assuming this still has a ways to go before release which is fine with me. Hopefully they take their time.

Altazor

This vid showed why I'm happy that Torment is turn based.

not a fan of Real-Time-With-Pause, then? I admit I'm still rusty at battling with RTWP but I'm slowly, SLOWLY getting the hang of it. I just have to get better at managing my party in terms of maximizing their skills and their positioning. Most of my failed battles are because my weakest characters end up dying fast to the enemies attacks... especially when battling in narrow corridors. Ugh.

But I'm learning. And I'm getting used to it. And it's great to manage your party to that extent (like changing weapons, using spells in coordination with attacks and so on)

Wiktor

I think the dude should be playing visual novels or at most adventure games with walkthroughs in hand. RPGs aren't for him.

Sothpaw

Crying tears of joy at all the money it's more than likely going to make.

Not necessarily. It probably cost 3 times what DA2 cost, and DA2 was a total bomb. Not debating it will sell more copies in its first week than POE will sell in its lifetime, but financial success remains to be seen. As far as which game will be more fondly remembered I would bet the farm on POE.

It is just cool to me that a $4M crowd funded game can look so much better (on paper at least) than an EA funded behemoth.

Edit: Don't mean to derail the thread, just thought that the games are worth comparison because of party based wrpgs etc.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Not necessarily. It probably cost 3 times what DA2 cost, and DA2 was a total bomb. Not debating it will sell more copies in its first week than POE will sell in its lifetime, but financial success remains to be seen. As far as which game will be more fondly remembered I would bet the farm on POE.

It is just cool to me that a $4M crowd funded game can look so much better (on paper at least) than an EA funded behemoth.

DA2 under preformed for sure but it was more than likely a financial success nonetheless. DAI not turning a profit is unlikely. Especially since the game has been showing very well. PoE looks awesome, despite it's meager funding even for what it is, but I wouldn't say it's outright better at this stage. It's just different. I'm ecstatic to be getting two RTwP RPGs from arguably the two best developers in the genre within possibly a two month span.

Sothpaw

DA2 under preformed for sure but it was more than likely a financial success nonetheless. DAI not turning a profit is unlikely. Especially since the game has been showing very well. PoE looks awesome, despite it's meager funding even for what it is, but I wouldn't say it's outright better at this stage. It's just different. I'm ecstatic to be getting two RTwP RPGs from arguably the two best developers in the genre within possibly a two month span.

Actually you're probably right about DA2 turning a profit considering they spent what, 10 months making it? Anyway for me, I gave $100 to POE crowdfunding. DAI is getting put on the back burner unless I hear some solid impressions from a few of the guys I trust around here.

Altazor

I agree with this sentence, though I think DA:I looks better than DA2 ever did and I think their PR machine, for better or worse, is going to work extra hard to paint this one in a more favorable light than their previous game. Whether it lives up to the expectations (however high or low they may be), we'll have to wait and see.

On the other hand, the same could be said about PoE, but I think the fact that Obsidian are behind this is quelling some natural concerns. The devs are saying the right things and the game looks right. I hope there's some streamlining of IE features (as I've said before, currently playing through BG2 and getting the hang of the AD&D ruleset it's based on has been difficult for me) but that doesn't mean it's "dumbed down" or "casualized". It's just bringing those things up to a more modern ,accesible standard, without sacrificing its inherent qualities, I think.

In any case, it's my belief that there's space for both of these kinds of games to coexist. And especially if PoE ends up being succesful - it would mean that a revival of sorts of these CRPGs that are different (a bit more intricate, a bit more complex) is not only desirable, but actually possible. And that's a great thing.

Sothpaw

In any case, it's my belief that there's space for both of these kinds of games to coexist. And especially if PoE ends up being succesful - it would mean that a revival of sorts of these CRPGs that are different (a bit more intricate, a bit more complex) is not only desirable, but actually possible. And that's a great thing.

Given the way Divinity has dominated the Steam best seller list I think the revival of cprgs is good to go.

Altazor

Yeah, that's something that warms my heart a bit. I actually haven't played D:OS that much (completed the tutorial dungeon and reached the first town) but I'm happy about Larian's success anyway.

Sothpaw

Yeah, that's something that warms my heart a bit. I actually haven't played D:OS that much (completed the tutorial dungeon and reached the first town) but I'm happy about Larian's success anyway.

I have my issues with it, mostly the fact that I had to resort to youtube a few times to solve some switch hunts (too busy to find tiny switches nowadays) but overall it really is an amazing game.

Famassu

I want to want this game. But it just doesn't look interesting to me. I get they wanted to make an old school rpg. But I think that should be possible without actually making the game feel like it's from the 90's. The game seems so lifeless due to the static npc that don't move and the bad animations :/
Those superficial complaints of your have nothing to do with it being an oldschool RPG and everything to do with their limited budget. They don't have the money to do tons of irrelevant/nonconsequential work.

KePoW

Banned

I think that's a typical forum whiner/complainer. I like combat in RPGs and I don't like easy games.

Top Bottom