• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pilot episode of Nickelodeon's "All That" (1994)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bgamer90

Banned
WRxKN2w.gif

(YouTube link)

Pretty rare episode that only aired a few times.

Nickelodeon was trying to find a sketch comedy replacement for "You Can't Do That on Television" and "Roundhouse" during the time; ("SNL for kids"). They aired this pilot/special on Nickelodeon back in early 1994 and it did well enough to turn into a full series lasting 10 seasons (1994-2005).

Some differences in the pilot:
-Different colored set/garage
-Different opening sequence showing TLC performing the theme song
-Shorter sketches (possibly following "You Can't Do That on Television's" format)
-Transitions featuring '90s celebrities (in a sort of similar fashion to the '60s sketch comedy show "Laugh-In")

Damn this was a great show back in the days. From what I can remember there were plenty of reruns of other seasons and rarely from season one. But still good stuff.

(YouTube link)

Pretty rare episode that only aired a few times.

Nickelodeon was trying to find a sketch comedy replacement for "You Can't Do That on Television" and "Roundhouse" during the time; ("SNL for kids"). They aired this pilot/special on Nickelodeon back in early 1994 and it did well enough to turn into a full series lasting 10 seasons (1994-2005).

Some differences in the pilot:
-Different colored set/garage
-Different opening sequence showing TLC performing the theme song
-Shorter sketches (possibly following "You Can't Do That on Television's" format)
-Transitions featuring '90s celebrities (in a sort of similar fashion to the '60s sketch comedy show "Laugh-In")

I actually remember watching the pilot and then the second episode and wondering why they had TLC on back to back as musical guests.

Pretty sure I saw this when it originally aired; I have a very distinct memory of the "Glorp" sketch and it kind of freaking me out as a kid. (I was pretty sensitive to anything remotely like a horror trope at that age.)

'90s kid shows were weird.

Oddduck

I use to watch "All That", "Are You Afraid of the Dark", "Keenan and Kel", and "Clarissa Explains It All".

Good times.

Don't remember much from this episode, but man was that short girl really annoying. Always thought she was. Also super weird to see Kenan, Kel, and Josh when they were like twelve.

Rootbeer

Banned
early 90s nick was great. snick was really something i looked forward to most weeks during that time of my life.

so was early 90s mtv though. good times.

damn, i really have no idea what either channel is like these days. haven't checked them out in many years.

i watch the new nick tmnt show but i get it on itunes

I remember seeing this back in '94 when it dropped.

I think they showed it again on '04 when they did the 10th Anniversary Show as well.

SNICK was the business. I remember when Nick at Nite started at 6:30PM before they went to 7 and then 8. That was big deal back in the day though.

Toa TAK

Banned
Where are the before/after pics of the cast?

All That helped define Nick in the 90s. Oh how far the mighty have fallen...

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
This is one of those moments where I read the thread title, click out of curiosity, and then have my brain exploded with nostalgia because I never thought I'd nail down the random fleeting memories of this show.

Mind blown.

edit: Nevermind, I meant "You Can't do that on Television" was the show. But this thread linked me to that anyway.

DJ88

God that was amazing to watch. I used to love All That, Kenan and Kel were just so good. I had a pretty big crush on Alisa Reyes too haha.

Nekofrog

Banned
i was pretty much done with this show when the annoying as hell amanda bynes joined

the ask ashley skits alone were enough to infuriate me as a child

Ivan 3414

Lori Beth's hair tho...

i was pretty much done with this show when the annoying as hell amanda bynes joined

the ask ashley skits alone were enough to infuriate me as a child

Are you kidding? The Ask Ashley segments are among the best All That skits ever.

jwk94

I tried watching All That again during the 90s Nick thing a few months back and couldn't take it. It was waaaayyy cornier than I remember. Some skits still hold up though. Kinda wonder how the later seasons are.

D

Deleted member 102481

Unconfirmed Member
All that was SNL right? Or am I the only who realized this growing up

Ferrio

Banned
I tried watching All That again during the 90s Nick thing a few months back and couldn't take it. It was waaaayyy cornier than I remember. Some skits still hold up though. Kinda wonder how the later seasons are.

Same thing for me going back and watching "You can't do that on television"

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Same thing for me going back and watching "You can't do that on television"
Eh. I dunno. I could watch YCDTOTV even now as a 35 year old man and still get some laughs out of it. Then again I can do the same with Square One TV.

I don't remember when I stopped watching All That. Probably around 2000 when I was 20 and grew out of Nickelodeon. I do remember it was when Amanda Bynes was taking over the network completely. Glad I got out when I did.

And in my opinion, Roundhouse will always be GOAT. I can still sing the entire theme song. Even the reprise at the end. I was sad when that went away. The cardboard props and remote controlled barcalounger were the best.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Nick was amazing before it became another shitty Disney channel wannabe.

Keenan and Kel
All That
My Brother and Me
Salute Your Shorts
Pete and Pete

I can't remember the name of the actor or the sketch, maybe it was later when amanda bynes was on the cast i think, but it was some kid, and the bit was like, "you discovered my plan, TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD MUAAHAHA" Always made me laugh so much as a kid. Anyone remember that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom