• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pitbulls the size of junglecats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
All dogs rely on training and owner responsibility. My 130 lb Doberman was afraid of little dogs at the playground because he sat on one by accident as a puppy and was yelled at. I spent the first two years of his life training him to be docile and responsible. "Ghetto pits" make a horrible name for the whole breed and it's heartbreaking.
My sister has two Yorkie something mixes that piss, shit, bite, and bark despite training because they are tiny shitheads and people get in their face all the time. Also, she is a shitty trainer and should never own a dog.
People make dogs either attack animals or pets. People.

Madness

No pit (an American Pit Bull Terrier, at least) should be more than 60-70 lb. tops.

Yup, real American Staffordshire Terriers, American Pitbull Terriers, or Staffordshire Bull Terriers, all considered 'pitbulls' are rarely over 80 pounds.

Those beasts you see with the huge mouths, fat body, are usually considered 'bully' variants, where people have bred the terrier out of them, trying to maintain the bulldog look.

McLovin

Its cool that the pitbull is the size of a jungle cat. This dog pretty much is a jungle cat.
1EEITk9.jpg
Tibetan Mastiff

All dogs rely on training and owner responsibility. My 130 lb Doberman was afraid of little dogs at the playground because he sat on one by accident as a puppy and was yelled at. I spent the first two years of his life training him to be docile and responsible. "Ghetto pits" make a horrible name for the whole breed and it's heartbreaking.
My sister has two Yorkie something mixes that piss, shit, bite, and bark despite training because they are tiny shitheads and people get in their face all the time. Also, she is a shitty trainer and should never own a dog.
People make dogs either attack animals or pets. People.

This is the common claim, but I see several different Pit Bulls in my neighborhood and they all have an immediate aggression about them the moment they see my smaller dog. They basically act like they want to murder my dog on site, and these are Pits that do not appear to have stupid owners. They actively try and restrain the dog and talk them down from their aggression. It never works.

This is the common claim, but I see several different Pit Bulls in my neighborhood and they all have an immediate aggression about them the moment they see my smaller dog. They basically act like they want to murder my dog on site, and these are Pits that do not appear to have stupid owners. They actively try and restrain the dog and talk them down from their aggression. It never works.

but you don't see them everyday at their homes.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat

Head to a dog park on a busy day and your chances of seeing this kind of behavior from a variety of different breeds are pretty high.

elseanio

I met this dog once whilst I was out walking mine. It was so surreal, he was huge. This picture doesn't capture it well, but my dog (on the left) is 83lbs

I believe his owner said he was a shepherd/malamute cross

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
It's a hard thing to get people to understand because "pit bull" is an umbrella term for several related breeds and the popular pit/mastiff/staffordshire mutts are often the public face of dog aggression on TV.

This is a typical American Pit Bull Terrier:

8I2klxol.jpg

utQ7fM0l.jpg

They're pretty damned average as far as features and size go. They're definitely strong and squatty but not freakishly so. They're about as tenacious as any other terrier and they're famously loyal to their owners - even abusive ones - which is how they ended up becoming a dog fighting favorite.
Gorgeous dogs

super submissive too

Looks friendly enough, pretty intimidating though.

Glad to see people want to pet him.

Our neighbour's daughter had a huge rottweiler (taller than the dog in this video), that was the only dog i've ever been scared of.
He was really friendly though, but just looked way too intimidating for my liking.

I'm not scared of dogs (think I was the only stranger who dared to enter into their yard with the dominant and agressive german shephard her parents owned, and made friends with it) , but there is something about certain breeds (beaucheron, rottweiler, pittbul, doberman) that makes them a lot more intimidating than other large breeds.

I met this dog once whilst I was out walking mine. It was so surreal, he was huge. This picture doesn't capture it well, but my dog (on the left) is 83lbs

I believe his owner said he was a shepherd/malamute cross

Face obscured to protect the innocent. But this is my three year old daughter giving my aunt and uncles giant malamute a hug. Super fun dogs, they've had a couple of the giant malamutes over the years.

qORypVd.jpg

elseanio

Face obscured to protect the innocent. But this is my three year old daughter giving my aunt and uncles giant malamute a hug. Super fun dogs, they've had a couple of the giant malamutes over the years.

qORypVd.jpg

Wow, he is amazing! Any more pictures?

My dog is 18 months now, so hopefully no more growing (he has malamute in his ancestry, but a lot of other smaller breeds too.)

ZoddGutts

It's a hard thing to get people to understand because "pit bull" is an umbrella term for several related breeds and the popular pit/mastiff/staffordshire mutts are often the public face of dog aggression on TV.

This is a typical American Pit Bull Terrier:

8I2klxol.jpg

utQ7fM0l.jpg

They're pretty damned average as far as features and size go. They're definitely strong and squatty but not freakishly so. They're about as tenacious as any other terrier and they're famously loyal to their owners - even abusive ones - which is how they ended up becoming a dog fighting favorite.

My brother-in-law has owned that breed. They were the nicest and most well trained dogs I've ever met. They never left the property and rarely barked. Shame people like those in the OP Vid exist, no control over their dogs.

Jake.

the dog in the OP is not a pure bred pit - they are often referred to as 'bandogs' in dog circles and are usually bred in backyard setups for fighting or aggression (guard dogs). most of the time they are made up by cross breeding an american pitbull terrier and something like a cane corso, fila brasileiro or another large molosser breed. ears and tail are often cropped/docked - to be completely honest, most of them are terrifying.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
If we're arguing with anecdotes here, my family took our dogs to the beach this summer - one my american bulldog and one my uncle's alaskan eskimo. The alaskan eskimo nipped at 3 people and almost bit me, and was generally an asshole all week, while my american bulldog was docile as fuck and peaceful with everybody, especially the small children who were less scared of her than my uncle's smaller dog

Plus when you talk about pitbulls being a stupid breed you neglect to realize that its actually a general term for multiple breeds, and those millions of dogs don't deserve to be blamed for the .002% of "pitbulls" that actually end up hurting someone. It's complete bullshit

I'm not sure your bulldog example helps your point given that one of the major characteristics of bulldogs is that they're docile.

leadbelly

Banned
the dog in the OP are often referred to as 'bandogs' - they are usually bred for fighting or aggression (guard dogs) a mix of an american pitbull terrier and something like a cane corso, fila brasileiro or other large molosser breed. they can be brutal.

Guard dogs probably. That thing is way too big for dog fighting. It is why true pitbulls are very lean. They want something that will carry on and on without tiring. That dog looks like it would tire quite quickly.

That thing looks like it is reaching the sort of weight you would find with dogs like Bullmastiffs.

Which coincidentally, is a very good guard dog.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xA70L9afa3c

Zertez

I have seen some great pitbulls, but they had great owners. Most of the harmful pitbulls are raised by crappy owners who treat them horribly to turn them into viscous animals. I guess it goes back to nature vs nurture argument and it is probably a good idea to keep aggressive people from owning animals with possible aggressive natures.

Dead Man

But Jungle Cats are small... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_cat

Jungle cats can range from 50 to 94 cm (20 to 37 in) in length, plus a short 20 to 31 cm (7.9 to 12 in) tail, and stand about 36 cm (14 in) tall. Weight varies across their range from 3 to 16 kg (6.6 to 35 lb), with a median weight of around 8 kg (18 lb). Females are slightly smaller than males. True to Bergmann's Rule, the felid is largest at the northern limits of its range and becomes smaller-bodied closer to the tropics.

Awesome dogs though.

I'm not sure your bulldog example helps your point given that one of the major characteristics of bulldogs is that they're docile.

American bulldogs, not english bulldogs. They're a bully breed which fall under the same "pit bull" umbrella along with APBTs. Almost everyone I run into at the dog park asks me if my dog is a "pitbull"

Jeff-DSA

If we're arguing with anecdotes here, my family took our dogs to the beach this summer - one my american bulldog and one my uncle's alaskan eskimo. The alaskan eskimo nipped at 3 people and almost bit me, and was generally an asshole all week, while my american bulldog was docile as fuck and peaceful with everybody, especially the small children who were less scared of her than my uncle's smaller dog

Plus when you talk about pitbulls being a stupid breed you neglect to realize that its actually a general term for multiple breeds, and those millions of dogs don't deserve to be blamed for the .002% of "pitbulls" that actually end up hurting someone. It's complete bullshit

I'd rather be bit 10 times by a golden retriever than once by a pit bull. The strength and manner of the bite is much worse when coming from a pit bull. I've seen it more than once. It's a dangerous breed. Same goes for rottweilers. Yeah, gorgeous dogs (the rottweiler, pits are kinda ugly), but if one bites you it's going to do a ton of damage.

Anybody denying that a bite from a pit bull is no big deal is crazy.

Here's a chart (from Wikipedia) showing fatal bites. The listed breed is the top killer for that year with the number in parentheses and the percentage being the share of fatal bites for that breed. Pit bulls and rottweilers are killers.

u75UPb5.png

I'd rather be bit 10 times by a golden retriever than once by a pit bull. The strength and manner of the bite is much worse when coming from a pit bull. I've seen it more than once. It's a dangerous breed. Same goes for rottweilers. Yeah, gorgeous dogs (the rottweiler, pits are kinda ugly), but if one bites you it's going to do a ton of damage.

Anybody denying that a bite from a pit bull is no big deal is crazy.

Here's a chart (from Wikipedia) showing fatal bites. The listed breed is the top killer for that year with the number in parentheses and the percentage being the share of fatal bites for that breed. Pit bulls and rottweilers are killers.

u75UPb5.png

From that same wiki page:

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published a study in 2000 on dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) that covered the years 1979–1998. The report concluded that relying on media coverage of dog-bite-related fatalities presents a biased view of the dogs involved. They stated that media reports are likely to only cover about 74% of the actual incidents and that dog attacks involving certain breeds may be more likely to receive media coverage. They also reported that since breed identification is difficult and subjective, attacks may be more likely to be "ascribed to breeds with a reputation for aggression".[6]

The study found reports of 327 people killed by dogs over the 20-year period. Some breed information was available for 238 (73%) of the fatalities. Of 227 incidents with relevant data, 133 (58%) were unrestrained dogs and on the owners' property; 55 (24%) were loose off the owners' property; 38 (17%) were restrained dogs on their owners’ property; and only one (less than 1%) was restrained off the owners' property.[6]

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, but pit bulls weren't so prolific in those years, either. I don't care about what was going on in the pre-2000s. Let's talk about what's happening now. Pit bulls are a dangerous breed. This isn't a statement saying that all pit bulls are dangerous, but any time one bites, it's seriously bad news.

Nobody is going to report on a beagle that bit someone and left a welt. But yeah, the news will report on the pit bull that bit a guy and put him into the hospital because half of his calf was missing.

And I agree that the media is a bit unfair toward pit bulls. But there's a good reason why it has been ruled an illegal breed in some areas.

Yeah, but pit bulls weren't so prolific in those years, either. I don't care about what was going on in the pre-2000s. Let's talk about what's happening now. Pit bulls are a dangerous breed. This isn't a statement saying that all pit bulls are dangerous, but any time one bites, it's seriously bad news.

Nobody is going to report on a beagle that bit someone and left a welt. But yeah, the news will report on the pit bull that bit a guy and put him into the hospital because half of his calf was missing.

And I agree that the media is a bit unfair toward pit bulls. But there's a good reason why it has been ruled an illegal breed in some areas.

The same thing happens today. Those dog bite statistics come almost entirely from media reports, which aren't too reliable

http://www.salon.com/2013/02/05/in_defense_of_the_pitbull_partner/

That problem is compounded by media sensationalism. Karen Delise studied every fatal dog bite reported in the years between 2002-2005, and found that “eleven dogs involved in fatal attacks with no Pitbull characteristics were counted as Pitbulls, while their ‘true’ breeds were not reported, and three dogs that were clearly not Rottweilers were identified as Rottweilers.” That was among a total of 47 fatal attacks (by all breeds) reported during that period.

This dog was involved in a fatal attack and the media called it a pit bull…

According to Delise, this dog was reported as a pit bull despite the fact that animal control officers told reporters that she was in fact a Labrador mix…

This kind of misidentification creates a feedback loop, as most studies of fatal attacks rely on media reports for breed identification.

The media’s role in amplifying the public’s fear of pit bull-type dogs was evident in a study conducted by the National Canine Research Council in 2008. When an Arizona woman was killed by one or more dogs identified as Labrador retrievers, one local newspaper reported the story. But that same year, when a California man was killed by one or more pit bulls, the incident was reported “by at least 285 media outlets, both nationally (in 47 U.S. states) and internationally (in eight other countries). MSNBC, Forbes, USA Today, Fox News, CBS News, and ABC News all picked up the story.”

And when an infant in New Jersey was reportedly killed by a Siberian husky, around a dozen local news outlets reported the tragic incident, according to the study. But when another infant was killed by what authorities described as a pit bull in Nevada the same month, it was reported by over 200 media outlets around the world, often with the word “pit bull” in the headlines. Like shark attacks, our perception of the risk associated with these dogs has a lot to do with this kind of sensationalism.

IceCold

The problem is that many of those pitbull attacks aren't even done by pits. There are many breeds out there that will fuck up if they bite you.

desertdroog

It isn't a good reason to do so since it is based on ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom