• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PixelJunk (1-4b) SideScroller |OT|

BeeDog

Bought this today, but didn't get around to play it yet since I tried Festival of Blood instead. Looks like a fun game either way!

Goldrusher

Brazil said:
I was wondering...

Wasn't Shooter 2 1-4b? Or was it 1-4a?
1-1 PixelJunk Racers
1-1a PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap

1-2 PixelJunk Monsters
1-2a PixelJunk Monsters Encore

1-3 PixelJunk Eden
1-3a PixelJunk Eden Encore

1-4 PixelJunk Shooter
1-4a PixelJunk Shooter 2
1-4b PixelJunk SideScroller

1-5 PixelJunk 4am

Goldrusher said:
1-1 PixelJunk Racers
1-1a PixelJunk Racers 2nd Lap

1-2 PixelJunk Monsters
1-2a PixelJunk Monsters Encore

1-3 PixelJunk Eden
1-3a PixelJunk Eden Encore

1-4 PixelJunk Shooter
1-4a PixelJunk Shooter 2
1-4b PixelJunk SideScroller

1-5 PixelJunk 4am
PixelJunk Dungeons =(

schwall20

Banned
Loving this game, but man o man there are a few huge issues that need to be patched ASAP.

1. If you're going to make the game hard then fine, but guys (Q) you have to shrink the size of the score box or move it, right in the center of the screen blocks many projectiles that is infuriating. I've big playing shooters for yrs. my biggest gripe is that you CANNOT BLOCK THE PLAYERS VIEW. That needs to be moved ASAP

2. Also the hit detection is just slightly and I mean slightly off. For example on 1-3 when there are the three headed "worms" in the walls shooting projectiles, moving near one often times causing me to die. Now you might be saying you hit it, but I watched very closely, my ship never hit the beam and yet I was still at fault.

Other than those two issues the game is great.

Even if you can't fix the hit box, please PLEASE, PLEASE, move or shrink the score box, hell there's the score box in the way and then the enemy multiplier under that, effectively taking away the entire upper center of the screen.

kassatsu

Banned
Adam Prime said:
How're the trophies on this game? Achievable?
Very.

Also IGN posted a review 6.5

Dylan called them out on twitter saying they rushed through on casual and they removed part of the review.

IGN = a fucking class act.

lolign.jpg

lolign2.jpg

stealthedit.png

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
IGN is basically a steaming pile of shit at this point. I never thought they deserved all the hate they got before, but now I've seen the light.

Edit: I'm new-threading this.

kassatsu

Banned
Brazil said:
IGN is basically a steaming pile of shit at this point. I never thought they deserved all the hate they got before, but now I've seen the light.

Edit: I'm new-threading this.
please do.

kassatsu

Banned
Game changes quite a bit on Brutal (and yes that is an aptly named difficulty)

Enemies will now explode into bullets making the game far more difficult. I have been playing the first level for like 30min now. Check points are a godsend.

Brazil

kassatsu said:
Game changes quite a bit on Brutal (and yes that is an aptly named difficulty)

Enemies will now explode into bullets making the game far more difficult. I have been playing the first level for like 30min now. Check points are a godsend.
Damn.

I'll start my second playthrough on Hard later today. Can't wait to reach Brutal.

Goldrusher

kassatsu said:
Dylan called them out on twitter saying they rushed through on casual and they removed part of the review.

IGN = a fucking class act.
So... casuals don't get to see the real ending ?
That makes no sense.

A lower difficulty should give you the exact same game, only easier.
Less enemies, better shield, better weapons, more checkpoints, more lives, etc.

Not removing levels.

Imagine Red Dead Redemption not giving you the real ending.

kassatsu

Banned
Goldrusher said:
So... casuals don't get to see the ending ?
That makes no sense.

A lower difficulty should give you the exact same game, only easier. Less enemies, better shield, better weapons, more checkpoints, more lives, etc.

Not removing levels.

It just removes the cut-scene, not the final boss.

Brazil

Goldrusher said:
So... casuals don't get to see the ending ?
That makes no sense.

A lower difficulty should give you the exact same game, only easier. Less enemies, better shield, better weapons, more checkpoints, more lives, etc.

Not removing levels.

Yeah... No. That comparison isn't valid at all.

It takes less than 1 hour to finish the game on Casual. Even if you absolutely suck at shmups, by beating that mode you'll be able to at least struggle through Normal and then see the cutscene.

Meanwhile, RDR is a 20+ hours game. Besides, many games have been hiding "secret endings" behind harder difficulty levels for at least two decades. Even longer ones, such as RPGs.

Corto

Goldrusher said:
Even worse, as a cut scene has absolutely nothing to do with difficulty.

A celebratory cut scene commending the player prowess for beating the hardest mode of the game? Yes. It makes much sense.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Goldrusher said:
So... casuals don't get to see the real ending ?
That makes no sense.

A lower difficulty should give you the exact same game, only easier.
Less enemies, better shield, better weapons, more checkpoints, more lives, etc.

Not removing levels.

there's nothing wrong with rewarding the player for playing at a higher difficulty in a way other than a dumb achievement.

Besides the entire point of shorter arcade-y games is to keep playing them and keep getting better.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
kassatsu said:
It just removes the cut-scene, not the final boss.
AFAIK:

If you beat the game on Casual, you don't see the end boss, just dumped back into title screen
If you beat the game on Normal, you see the Last Level / End Boss, but no congratulations cutscene
If you beat the game on Hard, you see the Last Level/Boss and after that the scene congratulating you for beating the game on hard difficulty.

*Edit* Looks like I was wrong and it goes like this, based on Dylan's post:

If you beat the game on Casual, you do play the Last Level / End Boss, but no end cutscene
If you beat the game on Normal, you do play the Last Level / End Boss, and you get congratulations cutscene
When you play the game on Hard, you get to see different visual filters.

I feel bad about the IGN review, I mean it's clear the guy didn't like it despite playing it on casual or whatever. I doubt playing on normal would have changed his mind. I knew I loved the game after completing the first two stages. Bad score for a great shmup.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
schwall20 said:
Loving this game, but man o man there are a few huge issues that need to be patched ASAP.
I honestly never thought the score box was in the way. In fact, I thought you were talking about something appearing in the smack middle of the screen. Not much action happens up there in that part of the screen, or maybe I'm just naturally avoiding going there.

I did notice that laser shots fired by enemies can harm you even if you all but overlap one pixel by them it seems. They seem to be less forgiving than normal bullets, it's hard positioning yourself to go between them if they're too close.

Brazil

Dat final stage music...

Also, the ending!
I could almost touch the closure.

Awesome game.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The posts about the last boss/last stage have me hyped about it now. Can't wait to get to it tonight. Still two levels to beat on 3rd stage.

-Amon-

Bought !

Looks ace , played a litle and i really like what i'm seeing.

Only one BIG complain, Italian voiceover is terrible, it really ruins everything.

Let us choose language at least ......

ampere

Will buy eventually for local co-op fun

I haven't quite finished Shooter 2 yet, but I do love the Pixeljunk games.

Orcastar

Played through stages 1 and 2 and half of stage 3 so far. Great visuals and the gameplay is nice too, but it just seems kinda light on content compared to Söldner X2. Also, I would have liked a slowdown button.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Corto said:
I need to master the charge attack... Is the ship indestructible during its effect?
Actually it's just as vulnerable to bullets as usual :/ this makes spin attack very tricky to use and severely limits it's usefulness. Kinda surprised me that ship is vulnerable, they should have maybe made it so that it takes longer to recharge after one use, but that ship is invincible during use.

Top Bottom