• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets! Will Midnight Suns ever get a sequel?

Sequel?

• Yes! Midnight Suns 2!

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • Eww! Midnight Suns 2?

Votes: 41 66.1%

• Total voters
I loved this game, but the general feelings on it are very split. Also, apparently it didn’t sell well enough, but I feel that’s because so much of the game was filled with absolutely lame “friendship building” sections in between some of the best action tactical gameplay ever made.

So… will the Midnight Suns return?

clintar

Guardians Of The Galaxy GIF

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I would be thrilled if they did. I absolutely loved the game. But I suspect after Take-Two completely botched the timing of the release for this game, Firaxis will go back to XCOM for the foreseeable future.

dottme

I need to spend more time on it. It’s a weird relationship with it. I kind of like it but technically, it’s a mess.

GHG

Gold Member
I'd love a second game but can't see it happening.

I don't think sales were great and they've since had to pump the game to every subscription service under the sun.

I got this and tried to get into it, but man I wasn't prepared for the plastic-looking characters. Probably would have been better to make it an isometric game throughout.

I just started it and am feeling a lot of mixed things right now on it, it's something that could be amazing with some tweaks. It's manage to engage me (so far) with combat even though it's usually something I hate, the humor has hit the right notes, the darker magic-focused story is fantastic, and it just nails super (anti?) hero vibes when unleashing powers. Still, my heart wishes it was more action focused and oh god why does just moving around feel so fucking awful.

Too bad a sequel is so unlikely with just how great another could be with some tweaking.

The combat had moments of actual fun, but the “story” bits were so terrible, I dunno how anybody enjoyed that part.
Much rather have another Xcom installment.

RavageX

I'm in a different camp than most. I liked some of the relationship building stuff. Superheroes don't all get along so I think it was cool to have something to improve that. I don't care for the card shit and don't care for deckbuilding games, If it was laid out more like XCOM I think it would have done better.

But no, I don't think we will be seeing a sequel.

Last edited:

Skifi28

Gold Member
I generally don't care for anything superhero, but I played it to the end so I wish. The only thing I didn't care for was the art style and overall technical aspect of the game which was meh. Not everything needs to be super modern, but this one felt closer to a PS3 game than it should for when it was released.

Larxia

I played it recently and absolutely loved it. And I'm someone who isn't a fan of turn based, but here it was amazing.
This is my favorite marvel game with guardian of the galaxy.
I would love a sequel, and I think it would be perfect for a sequel / spin-off set in Xavier's School, it's really the perfect game for it with the whole hub exploration, social aspect etc, it would be amazing. Sadly I don't believe it will ever happen since the game flopped, but it's really sad...

Larxia

I don't care for the card shit and don't care for deckbuilding games, If it was laid out more like XCOM I think it would have done better.
I thought I wouldn't really like it, but I actually really enjoyed it, for one simple reason.

Having it based on cards completely removed the RNG part of the game (outside of the card hand draw obviously). In games like xcom or recently baldur's gate 3, I find the rng incredibly frustrating, you can't really build a full strategy because it has like 90% chances of failing. Here, you might not have the best cards that you wanted, but your actions will ALWAYS hit, so as soon as you have your hand of cards, you will always have the chance to find a way to get out of a terrible situation if you take your time to think about all possible outcomes, and that's really satisfying.

I really prefered that to an action that shows 95% chance of hitting and still misses. It gave me more motivation to really take my time and think about a strategy, because if you can find a good strategy, it will work, it's not random.

Sentenza

Even if the game had a good share of redeeming qualities and it was well received by critics, it was a massive flop.
Not to mention the studio that worked on XCOM was basically gutted right after its release, with several of the lead figures leaving Firaxis and other key developers founding Bit Reactor, a studio under EA working on a Star Wars turn-based tactical.

TL;DL: there's absolutely ZERO chances this will get a sequel.

graywolf323

should it? yes, the game was great and the potential in a sequel would be awesome

it honestly could be like going from XCOM 1 to XCOM 2 (the newer ones)

will it? no chance in hell 2K pays for the Marvel license for a sequel given how the first one underperformed unfortunately

I don't like deck building games or relationship sims, but this was still somehow my favorite game last year. But no, it will never get a sequel.

JayK47

I would like a sequel. I doubt they would fix any issues I had with first game though. They had too many characters and too much downtime between combat.

xrnzaaas

There's 0 chance of that ever happening. It flopped hard despite the positive reviews from the people who bought it and I bet the Marvel license wasn't cheap. I loved the game, but I have realistic expectations. Let's just hope that XCOM 3 will arrive and won't be a smaller title like Chimera Squad.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I don't see it getting a sequel because it was a commercial failure. I know someone who worked on the game at Firaxis and when it didn't perform he was let go with a bunch of other people from his team.

JayK47

I am surprised that this game was a commercial failure. Firaxis superhero game? I remember there being controversy over the characters not looking or being voiced by the current crop of Marvel movie characters. But that would have added significant cost and I wonder if that would have helped it sell well enough to make up for it. I thought it reviewed well and I only was hesitant due to superhero AND Marvel fatigue. I picked it up on sale. I ended up liking it about as well as Xcom Enemy Unknown. So overall, I enjoyed it.

Inspector Q

I am part of the problem. Thanks to my hatred of (current day) Disney Marvel, I passed on it when it first came out. When I played the demo, I absolutely hated the characters. Strange and Stark being humiliated and upstaged by Magik in the opening minutes set off HUGE red flags for me. Basically a "here we go again" feeling, lol.

So anyway, I finally decided to buy it for like 10 bucks recently....and have been enjoying the hell out of it. The combat is great with how different each and every character is. Keeps the game feeling fresh.

I also kind of like the friendship stuff. Nico and Magik were insufferable at first, but now I can somewhat tolerate them after a recent story event.

I also love the Xcom games, but I have to admit that this game is better for me, personally. I actually care about the cast of characters in Midnight Suns whereas I couldn't give two shits about anyone in the Xcom games.

A sequel would immediately rise to the top of my most anticipated list. Just seeing how they would create cards for various Marvel heroes makes me extremely excited.

Looks like that is not going to happen, though. If someone like me, who generally loves strategy games, didn't even buy it...then it's a pretty bad sign. I blame Disney, lol.

PS:

One (selfishly) good thing about playing the game so late is that you get to play the campaign with all the DLC characters. They each react to every mission with tons of dialogue just like the default characters. You would not have had this if you played the game when it first came out. Still...I feel bad for skipping it and being part of the reason we will never get a sequel.

cripterion

I'm playing it right now thanks to ps+ and having a blast with it.
Even finished the whole abbey exploration thingy around lvl13. Lots of dialogue, powers are fun. Wish they released an expansion to fill those rooms and get more story bits...

Oh well, I hope XCOM 3 is on the horizon.

darthkarki

The title and the poll seem to be different questions - will it get a sequel, or should it? It absolutely should - game is flippin' awesome. INCLUDING the friendship building. That's a big part of what makes it feel like the most "Marvel" game I've played. But no, it will not get a sequel, which is a terrible shame. The marketing was really poor and it doesn't appear to have performed very well.

I thought I wouldn't really like it, but I actually really enjoyed it, for one simple reason.

Having it based on cards completely removed the RNG part of the game (outside of the card hand draw obviously). In games like xcom or recently baldur's gate 3, I find the rng incredibly frustrating, you can't really build a full strategy because it has like 90% chances of failing. Here, you might not have the best cards that you wanted, but your actions will ALWAYS hit, so as soon as you have your hand of cards, you will always have the chance to find a way to get out of a terrible situation if you take your time to think about all possible outcomes, and that's really satisfying.

I really prefered that to an action that shows 95% chance of hitting and still misses. It gave me more motivation to really take my time and think about a strategy, because if you can find a good strategy, it will work, it's not random.

100%. The designers knew exactly what they were doing. Randomly whiffing attacks just would not feel right in a game like this - we're talking about some of the most powerful and experienced superheroes in the Marvel universe. You nailed it - with this setup, you just need to think it through, and once you find a good strategy, you know it's going to work and it feels amazing.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Agreed. Card based combat is fuckin sick. I hope they expand on the formula with a different game even if it’s not a Marvel game.

Also I can’t recommend Chrono Ark enough if you liked the card based combat.

Corian33

I feel so weird about this game. I love all the elements but the ratio of relationship building “gameplay” to tactical battles was way off. It starts out fine but it’s just way too much talking, talking, talking and then you play a 5 minute mission and it’s back to running through a giant checklist of talking to everyone and gathering resources.

Gimme XCOM 3 with a touch of the relationship stuff and all the tactical combat and strategic layer goodness.

That would be "just", but in an overcrowded, overheated market? No effin' way. It's too niche, not unless it's a tie-in, to say, a popular team-based series that has achieved a certain critical success in the last couple of months.
I just yearn for a new marvel ultimate alliance series and Firaxis has scratched that itch

Top Bottom