• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Place your bets: Will Sony honor past ps1/psp purchases when they roll out the new ps+?

Will they honor the past purchases?

• Yea, they will

Votes: 55 12.8%
  • No, they won’t

Votes: 279 65.0%
  • They won’t sell them individually at all, so no

Votes: 95 22.1%

• Total voters

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
No Way Trump GIF by MOODMAN

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I bet not. I typically stick to those purchases when I play my PS3/Vita. Playing a PS1/PS2 classic is very simple. I could play my copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2, MVC:Origins, Castlevania Lament of Innocence, Vagrant Story, Threads of Fate, Front Mission 3, and the list continues.

I get a feeling like it’s all going to feel oddly redone. They’ve moved past that generation and backwards compatibility was not something they ever considered. It’s like a brand new ecosystem. The Vita took some of the success of the PSP (IMO had a better library of games). The PS3 shed some light on PS1 and PS2’s legacy and the PS5 is keeping up with the success of the PS4. I don’t see any signs of them combining both systems and pulling them into one. I’d be surprised if it did.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Considering Sony didnt even want to honour their word saying cross gen games between PS4 and PS5 were free upgrades (until they balked and waived the $10 fee for Horizon FW upgrade, BUT still sold a dedicated PS5 copy for $10 more hoping nobody would notice the free PS4 upgrade), I dont see how Sony will honour past purchases as free BC upgrades.

Sony is market leader in profit making mode. This isnt the PS3 days or Xbox lately trying to win gamers with value and deals.

Last edited:
I mean...there's rumors they will allow us to buy those games as well separately. I've seen that somewhere.

If that's true i'm not even sure if it's legal to sell the same product twice to the same people...with the same account. Has that ever happened?

But then again...if they are new SKUs (which i'm sure they will) they will probably get away with it. I still have access to my old PS3 history and everything i bought back then so...i'm sure they could do it.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Does buying a game one platform entitle you to be able to play that game on all future platforms??

Do companies sell universal copies of games??
Nope.

But some platforms are more open to others. A PC gamer can go all the way back to 1982 DOS games if he wanted to.

Xbox had BC with a portion of Xbox OG and 360 games (enhanced too), and many games now are buy one copy and it works on Xbox One or Series X.

PS systems are most rigid. You cant even play PS3 games on modern systems unless streamed from PS Now.

Quasicat

As much as I want it to happen, I was hedging my bets in 2019 and went out and bought a new PS3 mainly for backwards compatibility. Shortly after I bought it, Sony came out and announced that it was only going to include PS4 at launch. Perhaps if I didn’t have a way to play those old games, I would consider subscribing or purchasing the games individually, but since I still have a fully working PS3, I’m good!

Kokoloko85

Lol no.
Its been a fresh slate since PS4, sameas Switch going from Wii U. Nothing before Switch or PS4 will be honoured lol

Plus there hasnt been any news on PS1/PSP games being purchasable..

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Considering Sony didnt even want to honour their word saying cross gen games between PS4 and PS5 were free upgrades (until they balked and waived the $10 fee for Horizon FW upgrade, BUT still sold a dedicated PS5 copy for $10 more hoping nobody would notice the free PS4 upgrade), I dont see how Sony will honour past purchases as free BC upgrades.

Sony is market leader in profit making mode. This isnt the PS3 days or Xbox lately trying to win gamers with value and deals.
You know you're dead wrong about Sony initally announcing that HFW ps4 to ps5 was a free upgrade. You probably think we believe in generations quote meant no cross gen too.

Why do we allow should rubbish regurgitated as fact here?

Last edited:
I’d hope so, but then that decreases the value of PS+ premium if there isn’t anything locked behind a tier.

It’s an odd situation as their most expensive tier has a limitation to the new games added to the service as it is legacy content.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
You know you're dead wrong about Sony initally announcing that HFW ps4 to ps5 was a free upgrade. You probably think we believe in generations quote meant no cross gen too.

Why do we allow should rubbish regurgitated as fact here?
Where have you been the past year?

near

Gold Member
We just went an entire generation where we had no access to our digital libraries built around the PS3/PSP, only to be upsold on a shitty subscription service, so you could play a fraction of them and denied access to the rest, unless you still own old hardware. A generation of remasters and ports designed so you could repurchase the same games that you pretty much already own. The whole point of them shutting down the PS3/PSP/PSV storefronts was to continue this practice. I'd be wary of buying anything digital on these platforms, as none of them seem future-proof, and if you do continue to invest heavily in digital games ensure you preserve old hardware.

I would say No. If Nintendo can get away with it I don’t see why Sony wouldn’t.
You’ll have to repurchase either individually, if that’s an option, or subbing.

fart town usa

Gold Member
No. It's gonna be like Nintendo. These games are now tied to a subscription and won't be made available for individual purchase.

It'd be cool if I was wrong though. I don't plan on subscribing to that tier but I'd probably buy some PSX/PS2 games for the convenience of being able to just run them off a PS5.

There's not much for me to worry about though. I already have the PSX/PS2 games I would want to play.

Last edited:

Fbh

If they don't sell them individually, which is the most likely thing, of course not.
But if they do sell them individually.....also no

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Where have you been the past year?

That's the original blog and below is the quote. Show me where Ryan says HFW was a free ps4 to ps5 upgrade.
eKVPu9L.jpg

There was uproar because people can't grasp the English language and Sony changed its policy. It benefitted ps4/ps5 users in the end.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
We just went an entire generation where we had no access to our digital libraries built around the PS3/PSP, only to be upsold on a shitty subscription service, so you could play a fraction of them and denied access to the rest, unless you still own old hardware. A generation of remasters and ports designed so you could repurchase the same games that you pretty much already own. The whole point of them shutting down the PS3/PSP/PSV storefronts was to continue this practice. I'd be wary of buying anything digital on these platforms, as none of them seem future-proof, and if you do continue to invest heavily in digital games ensure you preserve old hardware.
True.

The only platform you can trust you got historic access is PC. Of course you might need to mess around with making it work on your PC (let's say you got some old CD game from the Windows 95 era, you might need to mess with settings to get it to work), but it's totally allowable.

I'm sure in modern day game companies can figure out how to lock a gamer's game to their PC profile (HP laptop using Windows 10). And if they want to keep playing it on their new Dell PC using Windows 13 in the year 2030 a security box pops up saying you got to pay $30 again. But you dont see game companies do that to PC gamers. Yet console makers have this walled off economy where transitioning from generation to generation is hit or miss what carries over.

near

Gold Member
True.

The only platform you can trust you got historic access is PC. Of course you might need to mess around with making it work on your PC (let's say you got some old CD game from the Windows 95 era, you might need to mess with settings to get it to work), but it's totally allowable.

I'm sure in modern day game companies can figure out how to lock a gamer's game to their PC profile (HP laptop using Windows 10). And if they want to keep playing it on their new Dell PC using Windows 13 in the year 2030 a security box pops up saying you got to pay $30 again. But you dont see game companies do that to PC gamers. Yet console makers have this walled off economy where transitioning from generation to generation is hit or miss what carries over.

I don't think even PC is entirely a safe bet. Specifically in regard to digital games. This is a problem in general with DRM and whether we actually even own games that we purchase. How long will EGS last? Origin, Uplay etc. Bethesda just announced they'll sunset their PC storefront too. Steam isn't future-proof either, but because Valves entire financial model is designed around Steam and the fact that they've been doing it the longest, they're the safest bet. But it bothers me that Sony literally abuses the digital model to the highest degree. Microsoft is trying to some extent to preserve their digital library.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I don't think even PC is entirely a safe bet. Specifically in regard to digital games. This is a problem in general with DRM and whether we actually even own games that we purchase. How long will EGS last? Origin, Uplay etc. Bethesda just announced they'll sunset their PC storefront too. Steam isn't future-proof either, but because Valves entire financial model is designed around Steam and the fact that they've been doing it the longest, they're the safest bet. But it bothers me that Sony literally abuses the digital model to the highest degree. Microsoft is trying to some extent to preserve their digital library.

Bethesda.net games/wallet transfer to Steam, which certainly should be considered future-proof.

Origin/Uplay would likely do the same thing if they closed. EGS? Yeah I wouldn't trust that too much.

You know what isn't future proof? Physical media.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Good points.

Before I bought Heroes of M&M 3 on GOG last year for like $3 for sake of convenience, I do have the original disc. I put the disc in and played it a few years ago for kicks. I must had bought it 20 years prior when I had a Win 98 tower PC. Worked like a charm!

Played this across: Win 98 tower and 3 laptops. Never failed.

uMce65q.jpg

Last edited:

AmuroChan

No, I think those games will only be available via the subscription. So whether you owned the game in the past or not is not relevant.

Nope.

But some platforms are more open to others. A PC gamer can go all the way back to 1982 DOS games if he wanted to.

Xbox had BC with a portion of Xbox OG and 360 games (enhanced too), and many games now are buy one copy and it works on Xbox One or Series X.

PS systems are most rigid. You cant even play PS3 games on modern systems unless streamed from PS Now.

You're being kinda cheeky here because it's not like PS4 was a Power-based architecture and including a Cell in all PS4s would've jacked the price up a ton as well as possibly required a compromise somewhere else in the system that ultimately wouldn't of been worth it, like 4 GB RAM or a weaker GPU.

If you have a PS3 with EE hardware you can do PS1 & PS2 BC on there with virtually no problem, and it's hardware-based on top of that so accuracy is increased. Yes PC gamers can go way back to DOS stuff if they want but PC emulation scene isn't "secure" because you can skirt around legal licenses for emulation very easily. That won't fly with consoles, lawsuits would be rampant otherwise.

near

Gold Member
Bethesda.net games/wallet transfer to Steam, which certainly should be considered future-proof.

Origin/Uplay would likely do the same thing if they closed. EGS? Yeah I wouldn't trust that too much.

You know what isn't future proof? Physical media.

You've got it backwards. So long as there is DRM, online authentication requirements, Steam is not future-proof. Physical media is, as long as you have the hardware to run it. Furthermore, digital games vanish from storefronts all the time and are lost forever, until they're republished.

lachesis

TBH, it would be nice if they honor my purchases - but not holding my breath.
I won't be surprised if they just wiped the slate clean for my purchase history in pre-ps4 era.

Top Bottom