• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plane crashes near New Jersey airport

IMG_0604.jpg

A small plane crashed this afternoon in an industrial area in the northern New Jersey town of Carlstadt, police say.

The Federal Aviation Administration said a Learjet 35 that was en route from Philadelphia International Airport to New Jersey's Teterboro Airport crashed at 3:30 p.m. while on approach to Runway 1 at Teterboro.

The plane went down in a residential area about a quarter of a mile from the airport, the FAA said

A Learjet 35 can hold up to eight passengers but it is unclear how many people were on board.

The FAA is heading to the scene.

Video on Twitter showed smoke billowing across the sky.

Teterboro Airport has been closed.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/learjet-crashes-industrial-area-northern-jersey-police/story?id=47423304

More information is rolling out as we speak.

UPDATE: looks like 2 crew members have been confirmed dead in the crash
https://twitter.com/ABC/status/864218649862787073?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^tweet

Kurtofan

RIP to the victims, though I have to say I'm relieved it wasn't a large plane, the thread title should perhaps reflect this? Just a thought.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Shouldn't have read this as I'm about to board a flight. :/

Hopefully there are survivors.

Literally dozens of people will be killed in car wrecks today. Ask yourself how safe it was going to the airport, statistically. You'll be fine.

And small planes crash a lot more than airliners.

STG!

This happened minutes away from my office. Was in a meeting wondering why I was hearing non-stop sirens for an hour... Yikes, looked bad from the photo's.

Shouldn't have read this as I'm about to board a flight. :/

Hopefully there are survivors.

When I went to Cuba for a week I watched a bunch of documentaries on airline disasters, because that was the only thing on. What's going to happen will happen regardless.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Dammit. I hope at least some people made it out ok. Plane crashes are one of my greatest fears.

Literally dozens of people will be killed in car wrecks today. Ask yourself how safe it was going to the airport, statistically. You'll be fine.

And small planes crash a lot more than airliners.

Yeah I have little fear going on commercial airlines, but those little puddle jumpers that hold less than 10 people scare me

Ugh, I know the odds are so minuscule, but I always get a little nervous thinking this is gonna be my dads plane when I see threads like this. Here is hoping there are survivors but that picture doesn't look promising.

Damaniel

Banned
It doesn't work out that easily mentally

For a lot of people, it's about loss of control. In a car, the driver at least feels in control (even though they're really at the mercy of literally every other person on the road), but in a plane, the pilot is the pilot, and no amount of turbulence, whining babies or other discomforts are going to give you any control over the situation whatsoever. Getting people - who are reluctant to give up at least the appearance of control - over a fear of flying is a very difficult task.

RIP to the pilots and other crew. Are there any confirmations of other passengers?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
This was just on the news. There is a pretty large fire that has consumed several cars, melting some of them its so hot as well as blowing out windows and such in surrounding buildings.

Top Bottom