• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Plasma, LCD, OLED, LED, best tv for next gen

cchum

Ok GAF ...I gave myself the 4K bug. Your goal shall you choose to accept it: help find a Tv that is to 4K as the st50 is to 1080p.

MrJames

LG Electronics 55EG9600

This model should probably be avoided anyway. It launched in early 2015 and doesn't support HDR over HDMI. Streaming only so no support for HDR via UHD Blu-ray, Xbox One S, Scorpio, PS4K Neo,etc. I've heard they made a UB revision of the 9600 models that include HDMI 2.0a but there is no way to know whether or not you would get one of those.

2016 models also have greatly improved panel uniformity, nearly double the peak light output, lower input lag and more options for HDR settings.

cchum

G6/E6/C6 OLED.

There is no other choice

Thanks mr sailor. Looking more at 1000 to 1500, so that should hit on black friday. Let me know too if you know of a way to make this money lol just kidding.

Vizio P Series. I've been reading the M series is pretty good, too

And a poster scoffed at the idea of a Vizio being good. I, too, would have laughed you out of the room if you told me I'd upgrade to Vizio. Yet here I am.
thanks

Re: Vizio P series, after running some installs I think they're decent televisions (good for an LCD) but have an absolute shit UI/smart platform. I liked the idea of ripping everything out of the TV itself and merely casting apps to it, but it's terrible in practice and they went too far by relegating basic settings to the tablet. Really annoying (especially for seniors) and I put it in league with Roku TVs for the worst current UI/smart platform.
There really isn't a UI! I don't like the settings being on the tablet, but I both "set it and forget it" with my settings and also have a Harmony. Though it's worth mentioning be standard remote covers all the basics.
Thanks mr sailor. Looking more at 1000 to 1500, so that should hit on black friday. Let me know too if you know of a way to make this money lol just kidding.
Vizio P Series. I've been reading the M series is pretty good, too.

As for the smart platform, it's Googlecast. There is literally no difference between casting on the P series and casting on a ChromeCast.
Also, I read on Rtings that the upscaling is sub-par. 1080p should be fine, but have you tried it with any SD or 720p content?
I saw that, too, and have been looking out for it. I think it might be more of a "garbage in, garbage out" scenario. I did not notice a poor picture when playing my PS3 (only 720p) I use.

And a poster scoffed at the idea of a Vizio being good. I, too, would have laughed you out of the room if you told me I'd upgrade to Vizio. Yet here I am.

There really isn't a UI! I don't like the settings being on the tablet, but I both "set it and forget it" with my settings and also have a Harmony. Though it's worth mentioning be standard remote covers all the basics.
Vizio P Series. I've been reading the M series is pretty good, too.

As for the smart platform, it's Googlecast. There is literally no difference between casting on the P series and casting on a ChromeCast.

I saw that, too, and have been looking out for it. I think it might be more of a "garbage in, garbage out" scenario. I did not notice a poor picture when playing my PS3 (only 720p) I use.

This is why Sony chose the best route with Android TV. You cant beat having the option of playstore on the tv with the traditional app ui OR just using the built in google cast like vizio does..

The google cast app and the ui are their "own" apps seperate from the operating system so they will always get updates regardless if sony does updates or not.

Aske

Think I'm going balls-deep and picking up the 75" Vizio P. I seem to have just skipped 1080p altogether - my current set is a 720p Panasonic plasma that's showing its age, and every year that I've thought about replacing it, the right upgrade for the right price has eluded me.

Subjectively, how do people find 1080p content to look on their 4K sets?

I had one of the Samsung 4K sets from last year (65JU7500) and 1080p content looked just fine. No degradation that I could see at all. My cable box upscales everything to 1080p anyway, so if there were problems with 720p or 1080i I wouldn't know it.

I didn't notice any issues with games either because all my PC games ran at either 1080p or 4K, and PS4, XB1, and XB360 all scale everything to 1080p regardless of what it renders at, AFAIK. I almost never play PS3 much (often 720p, doesn't scale) but I don't recall it looking bad either. How well the TV handles this varies from brand to brand, and maybe even model to model, so you have to look up reviews on the set you are looking to buy.

In my case, how the set handles sub-1080p is of little consequence. I have a CRT for the older retro stuff.

Looks like LG just took another $500 off the 65" E6/C6/B6 OLEDs. I have three days left on my 60-day return so I'll be getting another $500 off at the last minute.

E6: $5,500
C6/B6: $4,500

$200 off the 55" models.

Thanks for the advice! Just saved $200 on my 55B6 via amazon post purchase

MrJames

Ultra HD Blu-ray Gets Off to Fast Start

A total of 45 Ultra HD titles have been released on Blu-ray Disc since March — and according to Home Media Magazine market research, consumers bought more than 228,000 discs as of June 24.

By comparison, Blu-ray Disc, launched in June 2006, moved just 57,000 units in the comparable time frame.

That’s not surprising, analysts say. Industry observers expect the rapid advance of Ultra HD — the much-ballyhooed new format that not only offers viewers four times the resolution of HD, but also includes high dynamic range (HDR), which produces brilliant highlights, vibrant colors and greater contrast on compatible displays — to trigger a resurgence in overall Blu-ray Disc sales, which already are tracking up 3% for the year in units and 6% in dollars, Home Media Magazine market research numbers show.

I finally got a chance to see this year's LG OLEDs in person. Even at 5K (edit: 4500, apparently) for the 65" I'm tempted. I moved last month and had to give up my 73" DLP and the 51F8500 I'm watching just isn't big enough.

Welp. I found my new tv.

http://www.vizio.com/tvs/rs120b3.html

rseries-new-intr-img.jpg

120" Diag.
RS120-B3

Special order yours today for only $129,999.99

Seriously though I was just doing some research for a new tv, and when I noticed this it kind of blew my mind. Especially the price!

Let's pool our money GAF.

RedRum

Banned
Is there a site around that lists TV with game modes on them? Still looking for a new buy in the 46-55 inch range, 1080p. I'll start looking at 4K late next year.

Kyoufu

Depends on the tv doesnt it? My plasma makes sub 1080p look okay. My LCD makes it look horrible. I've heard that OLED is more like plasmas in this regard.

Haven't heard any positive impressions of SD sources looking good upscaled on a 4K OLED. I mean, I'd expect it to look crap on any 4K TV regardless of display technology.

Not bothered about SD anyway. I don't watch anything sub 720p/1080i.

ty_hot

I know you guys like to recommend 65`` tvs, or UHD Curved 3d Displays, lately HDR TVs.... but I need some help in choosing a small tv or even a monitor to play PS4.

I want to spend as little as possible, but having a decent quality.

I checked some monitors today and I think 22`` or less is too small for mmy room. I would provavly be looking for 24`` (23,6 actually), with the sweet spot being in the 26-28`` area.

Basically I need it to have HDMI, 1080p capable and less than 8m response time. Then, 2 options: or it must have internal speakers or an 3.5mm out so that I can connect it somewhere (in this case I expect it to be a little bit cheaper).

I could spend around 150 euros on it, if its something REALLY worth some extra Merkels, I could pay a little bit more, maybe 170 at most, otherwise, the cheaper the better.

Aske

Super ignorant question: we were waiting for the new HDMI standard, and then HDR. Are there any other standards not quite set in stone on the horizon that those of us who want to buy a future-proof TV should be holding out for?

Super ignorant question: we were waiting for the new HDMI standard, and then HDR. Are there any other standards not quite set in stone on the horizon that those of us who want to buy a future-proof TV should be holding out for?
100% Rec. 2020 reproduction.

Dynamic HDR10, which is just HDR10 with frame metadata aka Dolby Vision. Right now Dolby Vision handles HDR the best way, so it's good HDR10 is copying it.

With the way the HDTV standards have been going for that last 10 years, there's always going to be something around the corner. Right now, though, there are a number of 2016 HDTV sets that are as compatible as all the media that's being produced.

It may be quite some time before 100% Rec. 2020 hits, as cinemas only use DCI-P3 color reproduction. And 2016 HDTVs are now hitting ~90%+ DCI-P3 coverage.

In my opinion this is the first year that 4K UHD TVs are actually worth buying to meet upcoming media needs. And, of course, next year will be even better.

Aske

In my opinion this is the first year that 4K UHD TVs are actually worth buying to meet upcoming media needs. And, of course, next year will be even better.

That's good to hear. Certainly the impression I've been getting, but it's great to have confirmation. Presumably Dynamic HDR10 can be added in a firmware update, too.

So I'm receiving that KS8000 today for the living room for my parents. I'm looking at upgrading my room now. I currently have a UN32D6000. I was thinking of getting a monitor to replace it since I don't watch regular TV. I can't really go bigger than 32 at this time either which sucks. Should I just hold out?

Terra

So...does anyone have any recommendations for the following:

55-60 inch
For gaming only - no movies
I have a pretty tight budget. $1000-1500

Is something possible here?

Terra

That's good to hear. Certainly the impression I've been getting, but it's great to have confirmation. Presumably Dynamic HDR10 can be added in a firmware update, too.
We can only hope. Dolby Vision requires a decoder chip to process (yet only needs HDMI 1.4). And HDR10-Metadata more or less seems like a "Oh, shit! DV is a better way of doing HDR!" kind of response. And we must remember that HDMI 2.0a is required for HDR10. I do wish these consortiums would make up their damned minds, or at least work within the parameters that consumers are buying today.

So...does anyone have any recommendations for the following:

55-60 inch
For gaming only - no movies
I have a pretty tight budget. $1000-1500

Is something possible here?
Take your pick of anything that has a "P" or an "M" in front of the model name. At least for the "P" models you'll get 17ms input lag on Input 5, which is outstanding.

Rodin

Thanks. But I am in Europe, and Vizio is not an option for where I am. Sorry. =(

I am also only playing single-player games on the TV. No multiplayer.

I wonder if this could be an option: http://www.elkjop.no/product/tv-lyd-og-bilde/tv/65UF772V/lg-65-smart-led-tv-65uf772v

This one. You don't need 4K for sp games (or anything, really), input lag is good enough (especially considering you don't play competitive titles, i play Splatoon and Smash on it and its very responsive even for those) and if you want to watch sports, tv series and movies on blu-ray/netflix they will look better than on pretty much any LCD TV.

Has anyone with a Kuro picked up one of the new P-Series?

I have a Pro-141fd Kuro, but I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship soon. I know blacks won't be quite as good, and there may be slightly halo'ing, but I'm assuming the other benefits of the P Series might outweigh that (especially heat and power).

cchum

Has anyone with a Kuro picked up one of the new P-Series?

I have a Pro-141fd Kuro, but I'm seriously thinking about jumping ship soon. I know blacks won't be quite as good, and there may be slightly halo'ing, but I'm assuming the other benefits of the P Series might outweigh that (especially heat and power).

The Vizio P series is a fantastic set. I have a P65-C1 and am head-over-heels for it. The picture quality is outstanding, the blacks are inky (never thought I'd say that about an LCD), and game performance is outta sight (~17ms on Input 5).

Now, bear in mind, I went from a Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111fd to this set, so the bar was set real high for my expectations for image quality. And the Vizio P series has passed every criteria I've thrown at it.

I can't say why you want to upgrade, but, for me, I wanted to go 60-65", 4k, both HDR formats support, and 95-100% DCI-P3 coverage. I got all of that for $3000 less than I was expecting to pay with an OLED. And, also of note, the P Series have been critically praised by reviewers and on the AVSForum.

We can only hope. Dolby Vision requires a decoder chip to process (yet only needs HDMI 1.4). And HDR10-Metadata more or less seems like a "Oh, shit! DV is a better way of doing HDR!" kind of response. And we must remember that HDMI 2.0a is required for HDR10. I do wish these consortiums would make up their damned minds, or at least work within the parameters that consumers are buying today.

I wish they would at least just give HDMI like 36Gbps of bandwidth, and then figure out what to do with it via software later. The HDMI 2.0 -> 2.0a thing was a racket.

Are Vizio planning to broaden their market towards Europe (more specifically Sweden) anytime soon? They seem to make what i'm looking for, which is:

-65"+
-Low input lag
-Affordable
-Overall good picture quality
-HDR

Sorry for the inferior english.

Is the Vizio P series going to be exclusive to Best Buy in the US?

Timed exclusive. They should available at other places later in the year.

I was really wondering what was up with this. I really want to pick up a P or M, but I'm going to buy through Amazon. Seeing nothing but 2015 Vizio TVs in the quality models was burning me up.

Any idea when this exclusivity window is up?

I've also tried searching multiple times for info on this deal. Can't find a thing. Where did you hear about it?

Edit: I actually see now it looks like Dell and Walmart are now selling them. Other retail partners are listed on the site, but they don't appear to have them yet. I did notice Amazon was not one of those listed though. Seems weird (Looks like they aren't listed anywhere on Vizio's sight, but they clearly do sell their TVs, so it probably means nothing). (Edit again: I see that the P is only sold by Best Buy right now. The M has a wider distribution, but still only to 3 retailors.)

J-Rzez

It is incredibly stupid what vizio is doing having just casting and removing tuners. Just to save a few cents and call the tv a display rather than a tv.

My buddy told me just about every one of the E and P series sold comes back from average picture quality to its buggy remote casting system, to people finding out it doesn't have a tuner. I looked at them in person and still can not understand for the life of me how they rate so high. I think too much weight is given to price points.

It is incredibly stupid what vizio is doing having just casting and removing tuners. Just to save a few cents and call the tv a display rather than a tv.

My buddy told me just about every one of the E and P series sold comes back from average picture quality to its buggy remote casting system, to people finding out it doesn't have a tuner. I looked at them in person and still can not understand for the life of me how they rate so high. I think too much weight is given to price points.

I mean, obviously opinions vary, but it would seem you would be in the minority when it comes to whether or not the P-Series has good picture quality.

As for tuners, I can definitely see where it might be a big deal for some people, but I don't think I know one person that uses the tuner on their sets. Maybe it's just my area though.

Top Bottom