• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlatinumGames‘ Hideki Kamiya has apologised to players and Microsoft for the events that led to the cancellation of Scalebound.

cireza

He is completely correct that they didn't have the capabilities to rise to the challenge that Microsoft presented, which he is clearly ashamed about.
PG accepted to make this game in the first place, and obviously, Unreal Engine and Online were components that were known from the very beginning.

Yet PG signed the deal, while having zero experience in both domains, and failed miserably. This is on them, not MS. There really isn't anything more to say about this. And you even have the apology of Kamiya. Deal with it.

Hopefully MS and PG will work again in the future.

MonarchJT

Banned
No, the focus of the post was you spouting fanboy nonsense, hence why most of it was about Sony

Get a grip

Below is the reality of game development. The only ignorant one here arguing without concrete proof is yourself

dualshocler is probably a banned source and to put it as politely as possible "not close to Microsoft"

Ceadeus

I think there would have been a released product if Microsoft respected that Plat are no online nor unreal engine pro. And let them do their own thing. It's also Microsoft fault imo

MonarchJT

Banned
I think there would have been a released product if Microsoft respected that Plat are no online nor unreal engine pro. And let them do their own thing. It's also Microsoft fault imo
wtf??? Ms wanted the online game that was contracted with platinum from the start. Platinum was technically incapable of doing it . Kamiya is just saying this.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm not saying that they're not incompetent but at the highest level those things are always considered. Any advantage in business is weighed up heavily when you're talking millions.
There would most likely have been a time when XGS knew that the project wasn't going anywhere but it was advantageous to them to hold onto the company.
I am biased though, as I know someone who was put in a holding pattern by MS for years.

Its possible I admit. MS do have a long and inglorious history of using the most brutal tactics to pursue their business objectives.

Obviously though, I really do not know the actual events and motivations but I'm pretty confident in my ability to judge patterns of behaviour and performance. And in that regard Kamiya has delivered reliably for years, whereas you simply cannot say the same for XGS as publisher and external production partner.

Its like a champion fighter switching camps and then shockingly underperforming in their next bout. Sure, they are human, and everyone can have a bad night. But when you look at the new trainer and their history isn't nearly so impressive... Its hard to squarely blame the athlete even if they feel the need to take the responsibility publicly.

MonarchJT

Banned
Its possible I admit. MS do have a long and inglorious history of using the most brutal tactics to pursue their business objectives.

Obviously though, I really do not know the actual events and motivations but I'm pretty confident in my ability to judge patterns of behaviour and performance. And in that regard Kamiya has delivered reliably for years, whereas you simply cannot say the same for XGS as publisher and external production partner.

Its like a champion fighter switching camps and then shockingly underperforming in their next bout. Sure, they are human, and everyone can have a bad night. But when you look at the new trainer and their history isn't nearly so impressive... Its hard to squarely blame the athlete even if they feel the need to take the responsibility publicly.
no one (with a healthy human brain) will make it weigh in Platinum career this defaillance and not even to Kamiya. But as Kamiya said they were not ready (technically) to do that game. why so hard to accept it ?

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
no one (with a healthy human brain) will will make a difference in your career this defaillance to Platinum and not even to Kamiya. But as Kamiya said they were not ready (technically) to do that game. why so hard to accept it ?

Because having worked in the business for many years I know how unrealistic and wrong-headed edicts from external producers can wreck projects. All it takes is for them to stop listening to what the devs are saying and things can derail double-quick.

Kamiya's tweets during development betray his increasing frustration with MS. Technical problems would have become quickly apparent, so why couldn't they have just pivoted towards a practical solution? Would compromising on the multiplayer aspect really been such a deal-breaker for a new IP? Especially coming from a team FAMOUS for great single-player titles?

That they didn't, and instead allowed the project to stall indicates pretty conclusively to me that they weren't ALLOWED to. Because that's the reality of contract work, if the publisher wants Strauss waltzes then they won't pay you until they hear them. Its really that simple.

That they allowed the project to linger in development hell and eventually die, as opposed to pivoting to a compromised form does support the contention that they had specific demands, or even that it was a deliberate gambit to tie up Platinum. Because paranoiac as it sounds, such practices are not unknown. Bleeding studios out as a precursor to attempting to buy them is a thing.

Castef

Banned
The reality is that probably both Platinum and Microsoft are to blame. PG has said as much in the past. I don't know why this keeps coming up though.
Seems to me a "We were not ready... but we are now!" thing.

On the other hand... this keeps coming up because people keep asking them in interviews. It is that simple.

Topher

Gold Member
Seems to me a "We were not ready... but we are now!" thing.

On the other hand... this keeps coming up because people keep asking them in interviews. It is that simple.

Yeah, I guess journalists still want to milk that story even though it has been almost five years.

Top Bottom