• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Play Nintendo - Announcing Nintendo @ E3 2014

Foshy

Don't firget the QOL new hw, probably debuting in 2015 (their statements about it said so).

That would be unfortunate to me, cause from what I've heard I'm not interested in it. I'd prefer them to focus on "classic" videogames business at E3.

QOL is not going to be revealed on a games show. Completely different market.

It's way too early for a new handheld... You don't shoot the horse as it's hitting it's stride.

No, it's the perfect time. 3DS is getting its last big titles this year (SSB, MH4U, probably Pokemon Z) and declining heavily. It's still fresh in everybody's minds though and has good word of mouth, which is good for its successor as to not repeat a Wii -> Wii U transition where the console has been dead for like 3 years before the new one hit.

Here's hoping that Smash at Best Buy (which I'm quite excited about) somehow transitions into a demo also getting released.

didn't happen last year :(

best buy got Zelda wind waker u, Mario 3D world, DK tropical freeze and Mario kart 8

no demos were released after that. bleh

khaaan

I like the way they're handling this. A live E3 presentation would have been ice but this seems like a lot of fun.

Trago

in the source code of their e3 site:

Means absolutely nothing of course, but I thought I'd post it regardless. I'm pretty sure they're going to reveal their new handheld this year and E3 seems like a good venue to do so, but it'll probably be later.

Maybe a Wii U revision???

Scrawnton

Means absolutely nothing of course, but I thought I'd post it regardless. I'm pretty sure they're going to reveal their new handheld this year and E3 seems like a good venue to do so, but it'll probably be later.

Holy shit.

The_Lump

Banned
Well that was surprisingly great. Good to see Nintendo has finally hit the nail on the head with regards to lampooning their own image.

Not sure what this Digital Event entails, but I don't mind if it involves an actual live stage show in LA or not. 99% of fans aren't at the event and I couldn't care less if journalists feel they aren't being "wooed" enough without a stage show. The whole thing will be aired digitally to the majority of fans either way so whether its broadcast live from a stage at E3 or streamed from Reggie's en-suite bathroom - it makes no difference to me.

Am hype.

Yeah I don't think that's happening... if they do announce a new system that'll just piss off the current Wii U owners and confuse people even more.

I bought the Wii U 32GB at launch and I'm still loving it to this day, but I would love nothing more than see Nintendo announce a new console at E3 wether they announce it this year or the next. The Wii U is a fantastic system but It showed up to the party 6 years late, the Wii U is what I always wanted the Wii to be.

Santiako

h8658147F

Scrawnton

It's way too early for a new handheld... You don't shoot the horse as it's hitting it's stride. Remember, the point of keywords is to drive traffic, nothing more.
But I could see a more expensive 3ds xl model that has a better quality build and some extra power to run everything a little faster. Miiverse loads incredibly slow and the system feels slow when loading anything in general. I can see a 3DSi XL being revealed.

rpmurphy

And to think that someone questioned the purpose of the laser death vision, how sad.

As far as events go, NoA does some good stuff.

Mariolee

From the other thread.

So they're just giving up now?

I don't understand comments like this. I feel like Nintendo is looking at the supposedly millions of dollars that go into investing so much into a press conference and want to know how they can use that money to instead get the games from the conference in the hands of the actual consumers. Its a brave new method for them to try during a time when people have already counted them out, but shows that Nintendo is all about changing paradigms whether it seems like a good idea or not lol and we need that freshness.

So no, they're not fucking giving up. What does that even mean in reaction to this move?

PLUS THERE'S GONNA BE A BOSS ASS SMASH TOURNEY LIVESTREAM FROM NINTENDO. ALL MY HYPE.

iMax

Last year, we all interpreted their absence as being a tactical move to move away from the waterfall of next-gen news. How do we interpret their absence this year? A lack of interesting and show-stealing news and content again?

If they're not confident enough about what they're showing, to the extent of not even holding a press conference at all, I'm not confident much either.

ec0ec0

Nintendo, please, the expectations for the smash tournament... those players that you are going to invite...

I will just say that i hope that nintendo watched the smash documentary... ;P

Infinite

Last year, we all interpreted their absence as being a tactical move to move away from the waterfall of next-gen news. How do we interpret their absence this year? A lack of interesting and show-stealing news and content again?

If they're not confident enough about what they're showing, to the extent of not even holding a press conference at all, I'm not confident much either.

They are not absent from E3 this year and they weren't absent from it last year.

'Wii at e3'? hmm

I loved tvideo and also excited to actually be able to play games around e3, not just see them.

I think this is overall a good move for Nintendo and gets them a lot more attention than they would with A typical Stage show.

JoeM86

From the other thread.

I don't understand comments like this. I feel like Nintendo is looking at the supposedly millions of dollars that go into investing so much into a press conference and want to know how they can use that money to instead get the games from the conference in the hands of the actual consumers. Its a brave new method for them to try during a time when people have already counted them out, but shows that Nintendo is all about changing paradigms whether it seems like a good idea or not lol and we need that freshness.

So no, they're not fucking giving up. What does that even mean in reaction to this move?

PLUS THERE'S GONNA BE A BOSS ASS SMASH TOURNEY LIVESTREAM FROM NINTENDO. ALL MY HYPE.

This is the thing I was talking about in regards to image. E3 is no longer about game reveals or hands-on demos, since they're confirmed to be happening. It's all about image :/

It's way too early for a new handheld... You don't shoot the horse as it's hitting it's stride. Remember, the point of keywords is to drive traffic, nothing more.

By hitting its stride you mean selling less and less every year? The GBA was replaced when it was only 3 and a half years old and it was doing MUCH better than the 3DS.

Trago

The problem with that is they already dropped the price once, they're losing money on the console as-is, and they have a massive inventory of unsold Wii U consoles.

True. Would this really be a good year to announce a new Nintendo handheld? What's the average lifespan of Nintendo handhelds anyway?

Albo

They just better make sure the stream fucking works this time.

They use both Twitch and YouTube now. Shouldn't be a problem this year.

Yep, hopefully.

It's not about whether it gets out, it's about how it gets out. The PS4 is dominating in sales based on hype alone. A prerecorded video of Iwata mumbling in broken English isn't going to get people excited.

We don't know exactly what the digital event will entail. They say it's "a new kind of video program". Based on their recent vids and directs they seem to be doing more wacky, creative presentation.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
They needed a big press conference this year to generate hype and get people excited again. Not having one makes it look like they are just fine with where the Wii U is at. I was honestly expecting possibly a new console announcement, but that will likely be next year unless the Wii U completely rebounds.

Atlas157

I bought the Wii U 32GB at launch and I'm still loving it to this day, but I would love nothing more than see Nintendo announce a new console at E3 wether they announce it this year or the next. The Wii U is a fantastic system but It showed up to the party 6 years late, the Wii U is what I always wanted the Wii to be.

But what about the people that bought it that are waiting for more games and support? If I bought a Wii U at $300 I'd be pissed if Nintendo announced a new console and dropped all support for the Wii U because I wouldn't have enough games to justify the purchase.

Nintendo Directs = advertising games to existing Wii U/3DS owners and fans

E3 Conference = Advertising your systems/games to a mixed crowd of Nintendo, Xbox, and Playstation customers, along with the casual audience.

Nintendo, why the fuck would you not want to advertise your goods using both?

I don't understand either.
I guess they are happy with the results last year and think it should happen again.

Ridley327

True. Would this really be a good year to announce a new Nintendo handheld? What's the average lifespan of Nintendo handhelds anyway?

There's really no nice median these days. There was an 11-year gap between the GB and the GBA, a 3-year gap between the GBA and the DS, and a 6ish-year gap between the DS and the 3DS. The 3DS has been out for 3 years now, and it still has a few major titles yet to be released.

The_Lump

Banned
The problem with that is they already dropped the price once, they're losing money on the console as-is, and they have a massive inventory of unsold Wii U consoles.

True enough.

I suppose by now there should be new processes which have matured enough to make production cheaper than it is though. Especially considering the WiiU seemed rather expensive to manufacture at launch (going by Nintendo's numbers) when considering the hardware inside it. Or maybe they've just made the GamePad cheaper to manufacture? But yeah the tonnes of inventory they have lying around probably destroys that hypothesis.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Ultimately disappointing that they not have a conference again. If it's like last year then it will primarily be preaching to the choir and if the current gen is anything to speak of then the only interesting things will strictly be for Nintendo fans. The boat on the most prominent 3rd party games is gone so they hopefully will have some good games since Nintendo doesn't inherently deserve the benefit of the doubt anymore. Especially without a conference and their floundering console.

Volotaire

Oh wow!

Chairhome

someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that "site code" that is quoted says "keywords" which is just phrases that will bring search engines to that page. so someone searching for "wii at e3" or "new nintendo console" can find the page easier, right? I just don't want to get my hopes up.

Seriously though, use a site that actually works for large amounts of people. I didn't even see SM3DW get revealed last year, I had to watch a horrible youtube upload that was like below 144p in quality, I don't want the same thing to happen for Zelda.

JoeM86

I don't understand either.
I guess they are happy with the results last year and think it should happen again.

Good lord.

Yes, them going directly to the consumer and having a craptonne of stuff on the show floor for journalists to play is totally them being happy with the results.

Please.

Top Bottom