• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayerUnknown on the benefits of working with Microsoft

ookami

honestly all this to me points to microsoft Buying BLue point and PUBG.
It will never happen. We're talking about a South Korean studio with multiple divisions and having a partnership with Nexon.
I'm not even sure Microsoft was able to found their korean video game studio as they wanted in 2008.

Thebonehead

Banned
It will never happen. We're talking about a South Korean studio with multiple divisions and having a partnership with Nexon.
I'm not even sure Microsoft was able to found their korean video game studio as they wanted in 2008.

Actually the Dollar is strong at the moment, and it makes sense for companies with high cash reserves to buy foreign assets.

They benefit from write-downs, tax savings ( They'd rather pay it abroad than the punitive US rates )

All the big US corps are at it .. Apple, MS, IBM etc

Do we still think this is coming out in 2017? I saw some things in the Microsoft Expertzone that state 2018. To be fair they also show Crackdown 3 as Nov. 7th so perhaps it isn't up to date.

Dabanton

Re reading the actual interview especially this part

It wasn't hard to find news stories online that took the Microsoft publishing deal as evidence that PUBG will never make it to a PlayStation platform. Would you like to reassure those people?

BG: This is just, as I keep saying, our team size is just so limited at the moment. We can only focus on PC and Xbox. We just don't have the time, and Xbox has the Preview Program, which allows us to - like Early Access - develop the game with the players. That's where our focus is right now, and we just want to make the best version of the game for both of those platforms.

I can see this game on PS4 maybe in 2019. But I would imagine new maps and features on the PC version would take precedence over worrying about adding another console version.

Do we still think this is coming out in 2017? I saw some things in the Microsoft Expertzone that state 2018. To be fair they also show Crackdown 3 as Nov. 7th so perhaps it isn't up to date.

I think it'll make it. From reading the interview MS is really helping with controller feel for console players. They know the PR boon it will be to have this game out this side of the year.

Early access or not.

Armaros

Actually the Dollar is strong at the moment, and it makes sense for companies with high cash reserves to buy foreign assets.

They benefit from write-downs, tax savings ( They'd rather pay it abroad than the punitive US rates )

All the big US corps are at it .. Apple, MS, IBM etc

You do know acquisitions that large would have to go through the SK government? And MS would have to pay a hefty hefty sum?

This isn't a tiny indie company with a single IP that blew up, this is a long running Korean Company.

It's more likely they just pay to lock down console exclusivity for the next couple years than it is for them to outright buy Bluehole.

That still might not be cost effective though.

Varg

Banned
It's more likely they just pay to lock down console exclusivity for the next couple years than it is for them to outright buy Bluehole.

Keeping it off Sony consoles for a year or two will be big though. The hype for this game would have already died off and everyone will move on to bigger and better things . Can't see it being 2. Most likely one year .

Thebonehead

Banned
You do know acquisitions that large would have to go through the SK government? And MS would have to pay a hefty hefty sum?

This isn't a tiny indie company with a single IP that blew up, this is a long running Korean Company.

Yeah I know the history on Bluehole. Not at all knowledgeable on SK business regulations so I'll bow to you on the SK government getting involved.

Do I think it likely MS would buy them? On the balance of things, probably not.

jeffc919

Keeping it off Sony consoles for a year or two will be big though. The hype for this game would have already died off and everyone will move on to bigger and better things . Can't see it being 2. Most likely one year .

I bet this game is still going strong a year from now and far longer than that. I'd go so far as to say it will have long legs for years analagous to a game like CS:GO. They have a compelling game mode with plenty of room to build upon with new maps, guns, alternate modes, etc. Another game could come along and deliver a better battle royale experience but PUBG isn't going to just stay idle either and make it easy to steal their thunder.

The problem for Sony is that a lot of players aren't going to want to have to wait a year or more to play the game. The hype is huge and they want it right now. They especially don't want to wait when they don't know how long the wait is or if it is even coming to their platform eventually at all. "Problem" may be an overstatement....maybe more of a missed opportunity. It will help sell xboxes. It will motivate people to build PC's (like me).

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Bigger and better? What is on the horizon and in the same vein?

ElNino

I'd say it's more likely that they simply continue as they are and assist with the Xbox development. Eventually Bluehole will decide to port to PS4, or Sony will bring in a studio to help, but until then it doesn't sound like MS is "paying" anything to hold it off the PS4.

Top Bottom