• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I'm loving these crates, I'm nearly at £5 in 2 days of playing, my goal is to buy Wolfenstein 2 just from PUBG crate sales which shouldn't be a problem at all. And you get more points for kills and winning so when I don't suck I'll earn even more.

I'm loving these crates, I'm nearly at £5 in 2 days of playing, my goal is to buy Wolfenstein 2 just from PUBG crate sales which shouldn't be a problem at all. And you get more points for kills and winning so when I don't suck I'll earn even more.

Gamescom crates? Doood you should be saving them. Once gamescom is over the price is going to go up.

Acyl

i just can't fucking stand how some people play this game

twice tonight i landed and had to run away from like 10 guys who got guns before me, then came across buildings with all their doors closed and all the loot you'd expect only to get shot by a guy who apparently picked up a pistol and hid in the corner doing literally nothing until i came along

the second guy i'm 100% sure he did exactly that because i managed to kill him and the only thing he had was the pistol

Dude LOL. I'm still scarred from this. About 10 minutes into the round, I roll into an area, random little house in the middle of nowhere. Hoping I can find a 8X scope to survive top 10. I go in, tons of loot everywhere so I figure nobody's there. I open the bathroom door, get a shotgun blast to the face. Scared the SHIT OUT OF ME.

That guy MUST have camped this bathroom in the middle of Russian Utah for the whole match!

Never gonna forget. (love this game)

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Gamescom crates? Doood you should be saving them. Once gamescom is over the price is going to go up.

Oh, well I'll do that from now on then. Is it best to just buy the Gamescom ones, even though they get expensive or should you also buy the basic boxes when they only cost 700bp?

Pineapple

Dude LOL. I'm still scarred from this. About 10 minutes into the round, I roll into an area, random little house in the middle of nowhere. Hoping I can find a 8X scope to survive top 10. I go in, tons of loot everywhere so I figure nobody's there. I open the bathroom door, get a shotgun blast to the face. Scared the SHIT OUT OF ME.

That guy MUST have camped this bathroom in the middle of Russian Utah for the whole match!

Yeah, that's kind of what I do. I try to predict where the next 3+ zones are going to be and then try to get there first.

I see all the Twitch guys playing this game like COD or CS:GO...meanwhile, I'm playing it like Splinter Cell. The former looks far more fun, but I've had success playing in the shadows and staying out of sight.

ironmang

mLgTAN7.jpg

Actually won 2 squad games back to back but didn't get a chance to do much in the second one. This one however I was alone for the last like 18 people and ended up having about perfect movement that got me 5 flank kills out of the last 11 for the win. Pretty nerve wracking at the end because it was 1v2v1 and the team had position but the spotted someone and thought they were fighting a team. Not prepared for someone to wrap them behind the wave lol.

Ryde3

I didn't realize the FPP stats aren't being kept, what a bummer. I've been winning tons of duos and squads matches lately.

Circles that collapse in the fields area south of Severny should be banned. Man it's such a brutal spot. Nothing but open areas.

I think the most frustrated I've ever been in this game was in a match with one of those circles. Severny was off the flight path and I got a car early so I looted it uncontested for a while. I got a ton of attachments, scope, suppressor for an AR. Just no assault rifle. Best gun I could find was a Micro Uzi for I'd say 75% of the town's houses. By the time I finally got an M16, the circle closed south of Severny. I tried to leave by heading East first so I could get some tree cover on my way to the circle, but someone was there and sniped me before I could get eyes on them.

I hit a guy with a molotov and a choked shotgun at once and the game got confused and didn't pop a name for them on the killfeed or the kill message.

Maybe it couldn't comprehend a molotov actually hurting someone.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm really starting to notice some item clustering. In a single game, the first 2-4 buildings I checked in one area, I found:

* 4x scopes, 2
* 2x scopes, 2
* level 3 military vest (wat), 2
* shotgun choke, 5-7

HowZatOZ

Banned
I love molotovs not for their damage (which is non-existent) but for how great it is at containing or pushing people into specific areas. I'll usually carry one on me in case I get into a situation where someone is in a house and I need to flush them out or keep them in and move on without fear of retaliation. It's a great tool if used correctly.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You guys realize the people camping probably heard your footsteps coming from a mile away and were waiting specifically for you to come in, right?

They aren't chilling in that room for the entire game. They heard you coming in and barricaded themselves. When i'm upstairs looting and I hear the door swing open downstairs i'm sure as hell going to take measures to make sure you're dying when you walk up the stairs.

It's the reason why I generally avoid any indoor areas near endgame. I'm hyper-focused on the sound of footsteps and so is everyone else. You're always at a disadvantage entering a house that's occupied.

Tokubetsu

You guys realize the people camping probably heard your footsteps coming from a mile away and were waiting specifically for you to come in, right?

They aren't chilling in that room for the entire game. They heard you coming in and barricaded themselves. When i'm upstairs looting and I hear the door swing open downstairs i'm sure as hell going to take measures to make sure you're dying when you walk up the stairs.

It's the reason why I generally avoid any indoor areas near endgame. I'm hyper-focused on the sound of footsteps and so is everyone else. You're always at a disadvantage entering a house that's occupied.

yep, did this today actually!

Entering the police station at yas, heard footsteps upstairs, stopped and setup....they kept moving? guess they didn't hear me and my friend enter in at all and we lit them up as they came through the second doorway downstairs after they finished looting

you gotta be soundwhoring

HowZatOZ

Banned
yep, did this today actually!

Entering the police station at yas, heard footsteps upstairs, stopped and setup....they kept moving? guess they didn't hear me and my friend enter in at all and we lit them up as they came through the second doorway downstairs after they finished looting

you gotta be soundwhoring

My G933's are a god send for the 7.1, makes a world of difference on sound positioning.

Blizzard

Banned
OK, I've tried to figure this out on my own for a while but I need help.

I'm dropping as soon as the game allows me to drop. I'm aiming the mouse straight down as soon as the game allows me to, reaching 234 drop speed and maintaining it until I'm forced to auto-open the parachute. I then waggle left and right to drop faster.

Despite all of this, I'm STILL passed by people who land before me virtually every game to get guns before me. What on earth are they doing?

JDB

Banned

I'm dropping as soon as the game allows me to drop. I'm aiming the mouse straight down as soon as the game allows me to, reaching 234 drop speed and maintaining it until I'm forced to auto-open the parachute. I then waggle left and right to drop faster.

Despite all of this, I'm STILL passed by people who land before me virtually every game to get guns before me. What on earth are they doing?
Maybe a tiny bit of lag that allows them to drop earlier or they didn't have to adjust their direction at all when getting out of the plane?
Also, is going left and right actually faster? That sounds slower if anything.

Blizzard

Banned
Maybe a tiny bit of lag that allows them to drop earlier or they didn't have to adjust their direction at all when getting out of the plane?
Also, is going left and right actually faster? That sounds slower if anything.
I thought banking the parachute left, then banking it right after a delay makes you fall faster. The fastest players seem to do some sort of spin drop.

valeo

Do you do the spin drop with the parachute ?

pislit

I came up 2nd after killing 5 that shit just hid and threw grenade while I was healing myself. I'm going to stop playing this game for two weeks. Lol

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Started off strong. Landing area had two shotguns, two assault rifles, lvl 2 backpack and helmet, and a buggy out the front. Got a couple of kills and thought it'd be smooth sailing. Jumped out of the buggy apparently going too fast and died on impact.

I can totally dig the appeal of this game and I love the idea, especially the addictive one-more-round quality, but I'm pretty sure it's not for me. The military sim aspect is too early-access-like in control and feel (especially player movement, the the clumsiness trying to jump over objects and lack of vault) without feeling particularly deep or involved enough to excite me. The hit feedback doesn't feel particularly rewarding to me. The setting, weaponry, and equipment choice is a bit sterile for my taste too, given the premise. I just find it hard to get super engaged when everything looks and feels so drab.

Given the success I'm looking forward to the inevitable clones. Something a bit more adventurous in gear and weaponry, less based on strict reality, would be something more akin to my taste. That being said I also suspect this is a lot more enjoyable with a buddy or squad. At the moment I'm riding solo.

Oh, well I'll do that from now on then. Is it best to just buy the Gamescom ones, even though they get expensive or should you also buy the basic boxes when they only cost 700bp?

If you want to maximize profits, only buy gamescom crates for now (they will disappear on the 27th for good) Afterwards you can go back to buyin the normal crates.

I'm not sure how long we'll be sitting on the crates before they start getting pricey, but it might be enough to inflate the crates before Wolf 2 comes out in october. Might even be worth it to sink 10 bucks into 5 crates off the market to just easily turn into 20 or more later.

Blizzard

Banned
Started off strong. Landing area had two shotguns, two assault rifles, lvl 2 backpack and helmet, and a buggy out the front. Got a couple of kills and thought it'd be smooth sailing. Jumped out of the buggy apparently going too fast and died on impact.

I can totally dig the appeal of this game and I love the idea, especially the addictive one-more-round quality, but I'm pretty sure it's not for me. The military sim aspect is too early-access-like in control and feel (especially player movement, the the clumsiness trying to jump over objects and lack of vault) without feeling particularly deep or involved enough to excite me. The hit feedback doesn't feel particularly rewarding to me. The setting, weaponry, and equipment choice is a bit sterile for my taste too, given the premise. I just find it hard to get super engaged when everything looks and feels so drab.

Given the success I'm looking forward to the inevitable clones. Something a bit more adventurous in gear and weaponry, less based on strict reality, would be something more akin to my taste. That being said I also suspect this is a lot more enjoyable with a buddy or squad. At the moment I'm riding solo.
It sounds as though you want battle royale Borderlands or CSGO, but I'll be surprised if someone can do a twitch / fast response shooter with 100 people and a massive landscape without lag / tickrate being a major issue. Imagine trying to snipe 300m if someone is running around at max speed and stopping on a dime to throw shots out.

Maybe there's room for a smaller battle royale game, but at some point it probably starts to collide with traditional shooters.

Have you ever played ARMA or ARMA 2, by the way?

Wardancer

Neo Member

Look at H1Z1 King of the kill, its a more fast paced version of the same general concept, it seems to have more direct movement without the momentum. And you can jump out of cars much faster :p

Tovarisc

Height of terrain below you before and after you pull the chute also affects things.

It even determines when you pull.

Mechazawa

It sounds as though you want battle royale Borderlands or CSGO, but I'll be surprised if someone can do a twitch / fast response shooter with 100 people and a massive landscape without lag / tickrate being a major issue. Imagine trying to snipe 300m if someone is running around at max speed and stopping on a dime to throw shots out.

Maybe there's room for a smaller battle royale game, but at some point it probably starts to collide with traditional shooters.

I mean, some people will ultimately compromise for less players for stronger polish or arcadier gameplay. Smaller scale battle royale games are already in the works.

Also, Battlefield 4 has unquestionably more arcadey mechanics than PUBG, but I still got sniped hundreds of meters away in that game without issue. If you up the player's movement speed, life will still find a way, especially if you're compensating by making the process of sniping easier in general.

Grassy

I wish the game counted times when you shoot 99% of someone's health off and they die to the blue with the last 1%.

I'm pretty sure they're counted as assists in your stats.

Yeah this is true. Then sometimes you land and find the worst fucking loot, the circle is on the other side of the map, you don't have a vehicle and basically have to sprint for a circle or two etc. Then someone pulls up in a buggy at the house you're looting so you camp the stairs, kill them and take all their level 3 gear, AR's and sniper... loot delivery service.

Having said that, generally the first 5 minutes or so are the only time I usually loot houses, any other gear I get off other players I kill. You have to approach any house you enter after the first few minutes as if there's someone inside it.

Å

Åesop

Unconfirmed Member
After 120 hours Im still having trouble identifying footsteps above/ below or behind me.. so annoying. The sound in this game is pure garbage. And yes I already set everything up for stereo sound.

Mendrox

Åesop;246688774 said:
After 120 hours Im still having trouble identifying footsteps above/ below or behind me.. so annoying. The sound in this game is pure garbage. And yes I already set everything up for stereo sound.

???
The sound design is phenomenal.

Tovarisc

Åesop;246688774 said:

If steps are level above or below they are muffled. If they are on same floor as you then they are sharp.

???
The sound design is phenomenal.

It isn't.

It's all over the fucking place when it comes to audio levels (NEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEENEEEEEEEEE.... buggy vs. BroomBroomBroomBroom... dacia) and directional audio is really hit and miss.

Daffy Duck

I get really paranoid because when I use my astro's I always here something that sounds like footsteps in the building or around me but it never is anyone.

Gunshots are very accurate, but yeah, footsteps are not. You can't distinguish footsteps as easily e.g. whether they're above you or below you. You make a different noise when you're walking upstairs vs downstairs though, but it's not enough.

Theres a reason for this:
https://youtu.be/Oai7HUqncAA

Basically its hard for humans to distinguish sound from above or below them.

Also its the reason why dogs tilt their heads.

Top Bottom