• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PLAYERUNKNOWNS BATTLEGROUNDS Early Access Thread: This Is Battle Royale

Playing Fortnite BR has showed me just how ridiculous PUBG would be in TPP. I don't mind as much in Fortnite as it's a much more causal game in general, but holy crap does it give you a huge advantage. Especially since the trees in Fortnite are huuuuge so you can hide behind them easily and see where your opponent is. It's actually frustrating because when I see an enemy take cover, I know they can see me at all times so I can't surprise push them without them knowing it. I wouldn't be able to do deal with that in PUBG.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I tried the Mini-14 again and yeah, the random duo partner I had last night had to have been using the recoil macro. Without a scope, crouched holding breath, a single shot will still not recover from the recoil.

Are you sure? This is me firing a mini 14 through an 8x. I spam it and it barely moves.

https://boom.tv/w?v=rfjd486qnlm7e
https://boom.tv/w?v=rfjd486wryn7e

edit: Just realized the dudes name in the second video is Adolf_H *facepalm*

Playing Fortnite BR has showed me just how ridiculous PUBG would be in TPP. I don't mind as much in Fortnite as it's a much more causal game in general, but holy crap does it give you a huge advantage. Especially since the trees in Fortnite are huuuuge so you can hide behind them easily and see where your opponent is. It's actually frustrating because when I see an enemy take cover, I know they can see me at all times so I can't surprise push them without them knowing it. I wouldn't be able to do deal with that in PUBG.

huh? PUBGs main mode is TPP.

It's crazy when you think about it, the game is just a bunch of bought assets glued together and not particularly well either, with countless bugs and issues and yet we all pump hours into it every day. It just has something about it that's so addictive. I do wish it was made better though, when I was playing Destiny 2 beta I kept thinking "I really wish PUBG ran this smooth and felt this responsive". Obviously Bluehole isn't Bungie so you can't expect quite that level, but I hope they improve the feel of FPP at some point as it is off compared to any of the other big shooters on the market. It definitely didn't help that they forced PP on this patch which fucked my FPS.

Source for bolded?

juicyb

Yea I dunno maybe i'll give first person another shot since it seems to be everyone's go to mode now. FPP just doesn't feel....complete to me. Something is off with it, whether it's movement or something else. I can't exactly pinpoint to one thing being the culprit, its more a combination of small things that seem to add up to me not liking it. Or I fell in love with third person so much that playing it in first just feels wrong. Who knows. I do really miss playing this game.

Bread

Banned
Completely the opposite here. Playing third person I was just frustrated at how the encounters were spent non-stop camera-peeking from a safe position. It killed the immersion doing so and it made every encounter a fucking chore.
When you spot a guy in TPP you don't just spot him, you got to take into account the giant invisible 360-degree swivel-cam he has hovering above his head as well. It's stupid.

First person is what made this fun game into something amazing.
Knowing that they can see so much makes smart movement that much more important! I love using small hills and cover to get out of their sight line and flank as they sit behind a tree healing, thinking that you're still sitting behind that tree you shot at them from.

Yea I dunno maybe i'll give first person another shot since it seems to be everyone's go to mode now. FPP just doesn't feel....complete to me. Something is off with it, whether it's movement or something else. I can't exactly pinpoint to one thing being the culprit, its more a combination of small things that seem to add up to me not liking it. Or I fell in love with third person so much that playing it in first just feels wrong. Who knows. I do really miss playing this game.
I'm with you. Third person feels so well made, FPP just feels janky to me. Luckily my discord friends mostly (ahem, Splat) feel the same way so we play about 95% third person.

First game with new mouse (g403) + my first big mousepad.
I follow my sister advice and greatly reduce the mouse sensitivity (now 40ig with 800dpi).

The result :

Chickendinner_new_mouse.jpg
:D

Camping a car in the final circles is a pretty good strat to get rid of everyone behind you.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Knowing that they can see so much makes smart movement that much more important! I love using small hills and cover to get out of their sight line and flank as they sit behind a tree healing, thinking that you're still sitting behind that tree you shot at them from.

I felt smart movement was actually way less important in TPP. You simply don't have to move when you can look over any obstacle, through any window and past every hill without even taking a step.
TPP is more of a game of camera manipulation making things like flanking tactics, cover, smoke grenades kind of moot.

jeffc919

Biggest issue for me is my eye level being barely above the door knobs. Since so much of the game is looting from buildings this is almost nauseating to me. I agree that there are other contributing factors too...a head bob or something similar, the unarmed player's arms swinging spastically looks really bad, etc. I would probably prefer FPP mode all else being equal but it feels horribly tacked on to me so I play TPP instead.

cromofo

It's crazy when you think about it, the game is just a bunch of bought assets glued together and not particularly well either, with countless bugs and issues and yet we all pump hours into it every day. It just has something about it that's so addictive. I do wish it was made better though, when I was playing Destiny 2 beta I kept thinking "I really wish PUBG ran this smooth and felt this responsive". Obviously Bluehole isn't Bungie so you can't expect quite that level, but I hope they improve the feel of FPP at some point as it is off compared to any of the other big shooters on the market. It definitely didn't help that they forced PP on this patch which fucked my FPS.

For me, it's the very moment when you're on the cargo plane and waiting for the patch of land to go for. There are many things great about this game, but in the end, it's the player's choice of when and how that keeps me glued to it.

It still needs improving but the soul is there. Now they need to build on it but not crush it.

I hope to never see silly gimmicks like in CSGO, COD and such in PUBG. Tho I'm afraid it'll happen seeing some people need to feel special with custom skins on their parachute and whatnot.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I just mean for me. I didn't start playing the game until FPP was available, and I couldn't imagine playing in TPP. It'd just be frustrating for me.

Makes sense, and it IS frustrating :D

For me, it's the very moment when you're on the cargo plane and waiting for the patch of land to go for. There are many things great about this game, but in the end, it's the player's choice of when and how that keeps me glued to it.

It still needs improving but the soul is there. Now they need to build on it but not crush it.

I hope to never see silly gimmicks like in CSGO, COD and such in PUBG. Tho I'm afraid it'll happen seeing some people need to feel special with custom skins on their parachute and whatnot.

What would custom skins matter in the grand scheme of things?

Bread

Banned
I felt smart movement was actually way less important in TPP. You simply don't have to move when you can look over any obstacle, through any window and past every hill without even taking a step.
TPP is more of a game of camera manipulation making things like flanking tactics, cover, smoke grenades kind of moot.
That's the basic meta of third person, and it is what people expect you to do. Why move trees when you can stay there and wait for the other guy to move? That's not how I play though, I'm always moving to put myself in a position to catch them off guard.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's the basic meta of third person, and it is what people expect you to do. Why move trees when you can stay there and wait for the other guy to move? That's not how I play though, I'm always moving to put myself in a position to catch them off guard.

Yeah, i've seen plenty of that 'meta' watching high-level PUBG play. It's a war between who can manipulate the camera best. It loses like 90% of what makes this game worth playing, IMO, and it just bothers me greatly whenever I watch it because the camera mode alone discourages any interesting play or strategies.

But this discussion has already been done to death. Luckily I have yet to see any online poll where TPP was the preferred mode these days so people seem to rapidly adjust to FPP being the 'main' way to play.

Bread

Banned
Yeah, i've seen plenty of that 'meta' watching high-level PUBG play. It's a war between who can manipulate the camera best. It loses like 90% of what makes this game worth playing, IMO, and it just bothers me greatly whenever I watch it because the camera mode alone discourages any interesting play or strategies.

But this discussion has already been done to death. Luckily I have yet to see any online poll where TPP was the preferred mode these days so people seem to rapidly adjust to FPP being the 'main' way to play.
Yeah that's fair. The camera manipulation is a really fun part of the game for me. I just hope they keep supporting both modes because there are great reasons to play each mode.
I'm not trying to convince anyone that third person is better but it's annoying seeing people shit on it all over reddit and even here sometimes.

Hoo-doo

Banned
IDK, tactics worked here for me.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleCredulousAlmondCoolCat

I actually got three kills from that fight. Killed the first dude as I ascended the hill.

I'm honestly unsure at the point you're trying to make with this clip.
Yes, you can still kill people in TPP, that wasn't up for contention. There's no knowing how that encounter would have played out in FPP or what kind of 'tactics' were even employed.

I'm trying to explain my view on the differences between the gamemodes. I don't intend to drag this thread down this hole again.

Bread

Banned
IDK, tactics worked here for me.

https://clips.twitch.tv/GentleCredulousAlmondCoolCat

I actually got three kills from that fight. Killed the first dude as I ascended the hill.
Damn nice recoil control on the 2nd kill

Yes, you can still kill people in TPP, that wasn't up for contention. There's no knowing how that encounter would have played out in FPP or what kind of 'tactics' were even employed.
Well you said you don't have to move and flanking tactics and cover are moot and his clip was all about pushing up and using flanking tactics to get the edge on an enemy squad.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Well you said you don't have to move and flanking tactics and cover are moot and his clip was all about pushing up and using flanking tactics to get the edge on an enemy squad.

Yes, cool shit happens both in FPP and TPP and I don't think TPP is devoid of strategies or tactics. It's just discouraged and it's effectiveness is lessened compared to FPP.
I feel FPP offers far more interesting play and i'm unsure how this clip does anything to disprove that.

The current TPP 'meta' is using the camera as a crutch. I personally don't enjoy that. You do. The world keeps spinning. Let's not keep this discussion going.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

I'm trying to explain my view on the differences between the gamemodes. I don't intend to drag this thread down this hole again.

I was able to flank an entire team in TPP without their cameras nullifying the move.

Thanks! A few minutes earlier I got the luckiest kill I have ever gotten. Knocked off a full speed 2 seater bike lol.

https://clips.twitch.tv/CredulousWittyWatercress4Head

Bread

Banned
Yes, cool shit happens both in FPP and TPP and I don't think TPP is devoid of strategies or tactics. It's just discouraged and it's effectiveness is lessened compared to FPP.
I feel FPP offers far more interesting play and i'm unsure how this clip does anything to disprove that.

The current TPP 'meta' is using the camera as a crutch. I personally don't enjoy that. You do. The world keeps spinning. Let's not keep this discussion going.

Yeah, I sometimes encounter squads who are bad at the game as well. It's always a treat.
lol you're being oddly aggressive here, we're simply defending third person from people who say there's no strategy and it's all sitting behind cover!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Yeah, I sometimes encounter squads who are bad at the game as well. It's always a treat.

Whats with your tone? Why so defensive? We are playing against top 3000 squads on NA here so these are not noobs.

What is hilarious is that I actually prefer 1rst person as well for very similar reasons as yours.

Hoo-doo

Banned
lol you're being oddly aggressive here, we're simply defending third person from people who say there's no strategy and it's all sitting behind cover!

Nobody said TPP has no strategy at all. Come on man.

I'm getting called oddly aggressive and defensive at the same time and i'm the only one who wanted out of this discussion like 30 minutes ago. This is a discussion we had like seventy times in this thread alone.
Play what you play, dudes. I've said my piece. You enjoy the TPP meta, I don't.

Let's both get on with our lives.

Person makes bold claim, Others Object, Person says that is so 30 minutes ago let it go.

Like wtf?

There was no objection, there was a discussion on who preferred what kind of meta.

You posting a clip of you shooting three guys as some damning evidence that TPP is tactical is pretty weird. I've played plenty of TPP, I know what it's like.
I just don't want to keep this thread clogged with us posting our opinions back and forth. I'd be genuinely happy to respond via PM. I've had this discussion a few times before.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

I'm getting called oddly aggressive and defensive at the same time and i'm the only one who wanted out of this discussion like 30 minutes ago. This is a discussion we had like seventy times in this thread alone.

Person makes bold claim, Others Object, Person says, "Why are we arguing, that is so 30 minutes ago".

Like wtf?

Like 99.9% of the game is made for this game alone and not "bought assets"

I agree it's crazy how simple the game is at its core though, yet it's so great and addictive

Bread

Banned
There was no objection, there was a discussion on who preferred what kind of meta.
I was saying that there's more than one way to play the game and that your assertion that flanking tactics, cover, and smoke grenades being moot in third person was false.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

You posting a clip of you shooting three guys as some damning evidence that TPP is tactical is pretty weird. I've played plenty of TPP, I know what it's like.
I just don't want to keep this thread clogged with us posting our opinions back and forth. I'd be genuinely happy to respond via PM. I've had this discussion a few times before.

"I felt smart movement was actually way less important in TPP. You simply don't have to move when you can look over any obstacle, through any window and past every hill without even taking a step.
TPP is more of a game of camera manipulation making things like flanking tactics, cover, smoke grenades kind of moot."

That is your claim , particularly bolded.

I provided evidence to show that it isn't moot.

Then you started aggressively defending your point by deflection because you had no retort due to the specificity of your claim. Your only course of action to feel you hadn't lost the argument was to attack my evidence as bad players or even weaker forms of deflection.

BTW, aggressive and defense can be used together. I mean, look I just did it! Cool huh?

Yes, this has been needed for months. Not sure why they can't add one. Wouldn't be very hard at all.

Actually just tweeted to them about it lol.

This would really help me. I love that overwatch has it. It seems like such a simple thing to add. And they literally already have the warm up island.

This game is the best online gaming experience I've had since COD 4 and that's huge to me.

Thank you Bluehole for reigniting the old fire.

I'm playing solo most of the time, taking my time and being smart. Some call it boring but it's thrilling to me. Grew tired of mindless shooters

There is something good about being able to maneuver around a compound and not get found by people around you. And thats awesome that its a legit way to play.

I played CoD4 as well and my favorite thing was going the stealth build and pretty much play the hiding game. Except in CoD it becomes a matter of time before youre found and you cant stop that, whilst in Pubg you can prevent that and play smartly. It definitely is thrilling to do that.

Trace

Banned
I'm not sure why anyone would want to play TPP now that FPP is available. I certainly haven't played a TPP match since I had the option.

The skill cap is so much higher, strategies actually take some skill now, less camping behind trees, more fun all around.

I'm not sure why anyone would want to play TPP now that FPP is available. I certainly haven't played a TPP match since I had the option.

The skill cap is so much higher, strategies actually take some skill now, less camping behind trees, more fun all around.

People have different tastes, news at 11.

Bread

Banned

true. my least favorite part of third person is that my strategies take no skill.

m29a

Neo Member
People still trying to argue TPP holds a candle to FPP.

Stop with the elitist bs. I used to be in the FPP camp, I thought I'd exclusively play that, turns out for whatever reason, I prefer TPP. I'm sure you'll claim I rely on the camera and a weak player because of it, but whatever.

And as for first person having a way higher skill ceiling, yeah I'd agree overall, but you know what also requires little skill? Getting the jump on some random person when they're not looking your way. Maybe if they knew you were there, they'd have a chance at you? Yes it happens in 3PP too, but then they can use the tree and get shots at you too.

The snarky comments are so unnecessary. Why do you have to feel all superior over others?

Edit: And the camping in corners carries more advantage in FPP, you can't see them to level the playing field without the camera, do we want to enable the prolonged corner camping? Does that require a large amount of skill?

Blizzard

Banned
Dude, you're playin on the asia server. There's a well-know bug that defaults people to the Asia server.
No, I very specifically change it to NA before each game. I will happily queue with you and point out the Chinese names on the NA server if you don't believe me
:p

I tried the AS server default to see if the English players were there, but they weren't, and I just got massive lag with doors and inventory as expected.

MUnited83

For you.

The other way around, camping is rampant in FPP

Man, I hate how Bluehole's fetish for ARs and DMRs means that they feel the need to nerf all of the SMGs into nigh uselessness.

It feels so fucking bad to have the drop on someone twice with an SMG, only for them to first escape after taking 3-4 rounds to the head and chest, and then second to kill you anyway even when you shot first at close range because ARs can be tapped or burst fired just as easily in close quarters if you're good for higher damage and accuracy than an SMG.

The UMP was a bit much before, but now all SMGs are basically ARs but worse, with no use except extra ammo until you replace them with a second AR or a sniper.

Top Bottom