• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Crash 4 left me devastated

Skifi28

The only positive thing I can say about my experience is I'm glad it was part of PS Plus and I didn't have to pay for it, I'd feel cheated.

I heard before that it was hard and I was ok with not going for 100% like I did with the previous games and sure enough, trying to get all boxes/gems etc. was quite brutal and I gave up early on that. Unfortunately, as you keep progressing the difficulty only goes up and by a lot. At the final world, I completely gave up on even picking the easiest of boxes/fruit considering how many times I had to retry. On the last level I played (Cortex castle) I gave up after about 50 deaths. The game is not difficult, it's sadistic to the point I had to question whoever designed it and tested it (or didn't). Was it really the intention of the developers for the game to be like this? I have to ask, who is it meant for? If I had to go a little more in-depth with my complaints:
  • Some of the sequences you are required to complete are absolutely insane with zero margin for error, even having to anticipate the timing of obstacles/enemies that are off-screen and far into the sequence.
  • The new masks while great for the new perspective on platforming they offer, were unfortunately used as a tool to increaste difficulty even more. How about going a little easier on us when playing with fresh mechanics? The zero-margin-for-error platforming is already very difficult, adding the dimension of gravity or time as well takes it on a whole new level.
  • The levels were simply too long and with far too few checkpoints in between. You have to die many times for a few more to pop up. Considering the difficulty they were going for, reducing checkpoints is sadistic.
I don't mind the idea of games being brutally difficult, but was it really necessary to turn crash into super meatboy? It's a sequel, the majority of people playing will be those invested in the previous games that were nothing like it. Why alieanate the existing fans? The visuals, controls, story were all excellent which made it all the more disappointing that they had to ruin the game like this to the point I didn't even finish it. As a Crash fan, i feel like 4 even ruined the previous games for me. I don't even want to think about playing any of them.

TexMex

It's one of the best platformers in years, the best Crash game ever made and a total masterpiece. It is hard, but you're overselling it - especially if you're just looking to finish the game (though tons of people have the platinum trophy). Comparing it to Super Meat Boy is completely off base.

It's a crash game for the hardcore crash fan. I like it. And it looks great on PS5.

Bit buggy though, that's my only gripe.

Last edited:

Camreezie

Its hard its not unfairly hard. You can always get by based on the rules theyve set out and obviously there are difficulty spikes. Id actually say its in line with the previous games difficulty wise if youre just talking anout beating the game not 100% completion

anthony2690

Banned
Crash 4 was great, I would only say one or two last few stages were difficult though & even then it was just a certain section when flipping through loads off different masks in that pretty cool sequence.

I can imagine that being a little too much for some children.

I was more surprised when dingo swore 😂

Last edited:
Crash 4 is incredible. Getting the platinum was insane but platinums should be difficult. It’s more fun when trophies actually mean something other than checking off lists.

Last edited:

G-Bus

Banned
I mean there is "hard" and then there is Donkey Kong Country for the SNES hard...

Lebron James What GIF by SB Nation

Slowly making my way through crash 4 and while I agree it's difficult, I wouldn't go as far as you OP. Not even close. Reminds me a lot of the originals.

Bragr

Banned
I'm about halfway in and I think it's great so far, maybe the difficulty turns me off later on, but so far it's alright.

There is something to be said for Crash games being so hard, you do have to wonder if they are reducing their user base more than they should, as you said.

Skifi28

Slowly making my way through crash 4 and while I agree it's difficult, I wouldn't go as far as you OP. Not even close. Reminds me a lot of the originals.
I'd be interested in what you think once you reach the last 2 worlds. They completely broke me.

Last edited:

Skifi28

They are difficult but theyre the last two worlds and ive beaten them and im not great at platformers
I made it to what I think was the second to last stage. I could probably beat it, but it's just not worth it after a certain point once you stop having fun dying 20-30 times on the same spot because it's overtuned.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Yeah it's tough, though I only remember the last level being extra tough. I had no drive to even attempt to go for 100% when I realised you had to do every single level without dying while also getting every box, never mind the relics or whatever.

It's definitely harder than DKC though as far as I remember. The worst part of DKC is redoing levels you already beat if you died enough on later ones.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Looks like CERN is up to their nefarious no-good schemes again and has smashed together a few timelines:

One where DKC was a walk in the park and one where CB4 is the "Legacy of the Wizard" of platform games in the early 2020's.

Cartoon Magic GIF by Scooby-Doo

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Definitely wasn't terrible, but it was quite a weak sequel. Some of the things needed to get gems was insanely off putting, especially given the fact that on some of the levels the controls were inexplicably wonky.

Banned
I weirdly wanna play it now... even tho the Crash games imo are some of the most bland platformers ever made...

The only positive thing I can say about my experience is I'm glad it was part of PS Plus and I didn't have to pay for it, I'd feel cheated.

I heard before that it was hard and I was ok with not going for 100% like I did with the previous games and sure enough, trying to get all boxes/gems etc. was quite brutal and I gave up early on that. Unfortunately, as you keep progressing the difficulty only goes up and by a lot. At the final world, I completely gave up on even picking the easiest of boxes/fruit considering how many times I had to retry. On the last level I played (Cortex castle) I gave up after about 50 deaths. The game is not difficult, it's sadistic to the point I had to question whoever designed it and tested it (or didn't). Was it really the intention of the developers for the game to be like this? I have to ask, who is it meant for? If I had to go a little more in-depth with my complaints:
  • Some of the sequences you are required to complete are absolutely insane with zero margin for error, even having to anticipate the timing of obstacles/enemies that are off-screen and far into the sequence.
  • The new masks while great for the new perspective on platforming they offer, were unfortunately used as a tool to increaste difficulty even more. How about going a little easier on us when playing with fresh mechanics? The zero-margin-for-error platforming is already very difficult, adding the dimension of gravity or time as well takes it on a whole new level.
  • The levels were simply too long and with far too few checkpoints in between. You have to die many times for a few more to pop up. Considering the difficulty they were going for, reducing checkpoints is sadistic.
I don't mind the idea of games being brutally difficult, but was it really necessary to turn crash into super meatboy? It's a sequel, the majority of people playing will be those invested in the previous games that were nothing like it. Why alieanate the existing fans? The visuals, controls, story were all excellent which made it all the more disappointing that they had to ruin the game like this to the point I didn't even finish it. As a Crash fan, i feel like 4 even ruined the previous games for me. I don't even want to think about playing any of them.
I haven't played it, but clearly I feel the need to tell you get good. So.... yeah. Get good.

Yeah I'm fighting every urge in my head to forget about my completion ocd with this game because its taking away my enjoyment and turning into a stressful slog instead. I'm just gonna play through and forget all boxes gems. I'm enjoying it much more now. Also, what's with the long ass levels? Each level could easily be split into 2.

TransTrender

Gold Member
Strange.
I didn't like the first three games but I did enjoy 4 all the way through
I mean there is "hard" and then there is Donkey Kong Country for the SNES hard...
Eh, I thought Tropical Freeze was orders of magnitude harder than the SNES DKC.

Banned
Strange.
I didn't like the first three games but I did enjoy 4 all the way through

I might actually try it then, because IMO the first 3 games are a complete waste of storage space

Eh, I thought Tropical Freeze was orders of magnitude harder than the SNES DKC.

Tropical Freeze was way easier imo simply because it plays like 10x better than the original trilogy

Camreezie

Don't agree, Crash 2 and 3 are pretty easy games, and in first Crash only Road to Nowhere is a decently difficult level. Crash 4 is significantly harder in general.
Road to nowhere isnt that bad when you can cheese the rope on the bridge. I disagree and find multiple levels on 2 and 3 harder than anything in 4

Shifty

Coming out right after the ultra-polished remake didn't do it any favours. It's like a whole layer of nice little touches was missing by comparison.

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Im sorry, I finished with all the gems and my 09 years old son is playing without problems... is a difficult game, no arguing that, but is very manageable, Ill never get 100% because of the no death runs, but getting all the gems and completing all the tapes is on par with crashs games even if its a little more difficult ..

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah I'm fighting every urge in my head to forget about my completion ocd with this game because its taking away my enjoyment and turning into a stressful slog instead. I'm just gonna play through and forget all boxes gems. I'm enjoying it much more now. Also, what's with the long ass levels? Each level could easily be split into 2.
Reached the credits today. I only got all boxes in maybe 4 or 5 levels and I'm more than happy with that. All gems in 1 level only. Keep in mind I played every level once only. There was only 2 times that I have repeated levels, one time because I was only missing one box and it was a short level and the second time because my save glitched. other than that, I try to not make my OCD get the better of me or I'll burn myself of the game before reaching the end.

timmyp53

If I beat to credits the first 3 in the collection when it came to ps plus should I be okay? Or is there a huge increase in difficulty ?

Top Bottom