• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Mario 64 for the first time in my life

GametimeUK

Glad you enjoyed it, OP.

I have played it a few times, but I decided to do 120 stars for the first time this year. I did it on PS Vita using Mario 64 Port. Ran really well on the system, 60fps and an unlocked camera. Had such an amazing time with it.

GametimeUK

It didn't take itself for anything else than a video game. A rare thing nowadays.

Always liked this detail that in the first 3D game they made for N64 they thought, who is behind the camera as you control it? It's a Lakitu. So cool. Can't think of a game doing something of the like since then (?).

super mario nintendo GIF
Astro Bot VR actually has the best implementation of a simar concept in that game. You are basically Lakitu in VR and can interact with the world too.

RAIDEN1

Mario 64 was such a game-changer, that others struggled to recreate a game such as this on their own Platform, Sega tried it (with Sonic X-Treme) but couldn't manage it until Sonic Adventure

I never liked Galaxy anywhere near as much as Mario 64. There's something cheap about the way Mario is frequently obscured by scenery, and just shows up as a shadow. Like they couldn't design a camera system that worked as well as the one in Mario 64.
This is the same feeling for me. Something cheap about galaxy and camera.
It's like a micro room for galaxy where you haven't the space to rotate to 360 the world.

Sm64 was huge for the time and that kind of wide open formula was repeated only by super Mario sunshine

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
I have squandered my childhood by not playing this when I was a kid.

It's a video games' video game. One of the most video game-y video games I've ever played.

The kind of game that makes you appreciate being a gamer.
As I said in the other thread, mix it up. And play more Nintendo.

You did good.

bigdad2007

Currently replaying it for the first time in more than a decade, probably 20 or so years since I went past the first few worlds.

Still a great game, however the camera shows its age badly. There are so many stars where the difficulty only comes from the fact you can’t really see where you are going.

The game really could use a Banjo remaster like they did for Xbox Arcade. Tighten up the controls, add some of the extra content from the DS game, maybe even implement the planned two player Luigi mode.

Krathoon

Gold Member
Are you playing the "So long, gay Bowser?" version?

If not. Then fire up an emulator.

Also, play the version of Zelda:OoT with the red blood on Ganon.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
When I played it and saw the eel... I was blown away.
that eel is a pain in the ass. infact the entirety of Dire Dire Docks and most of the water levels are insufferable in Mario 64. Those swimming controls are just plain slow. Really the only thing that could really be improved in a sequel

Krathoon

Gold Member
Do you guys prefer the original N64 controller with the notches?

I seem to be fine without the notches.

I did hook up an original N64 controller to Retroarch. It worked. I don't remember if the rumble worked.

S0ULZB0URNE

that eel is a pain in the ass. infact the entirety of Dire Dire Docks and most of the water levels are insufferable in Mario 64. Those swimming controls are just plain slow. Really the only thing that could really be improved in a sequel
Yeah.

First time swimming and coming across it was unbelievable though.

Sequel? Don't we wish...

Last edited:

Mr.ODST

Whats the best modern way to play Super Mario 64 now?

I was warned away from 3D all Stars on Switch (decided to do it when it released and completed it 100%) want to play again but sold my copy

Krathoon

Gold Member
This reminds me. There was a really good N64 emulator that they were working on.

The Zeus emulator?

Edit. Correction. It is the ares emulator.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

It didn't take itself for anything else than a video game. A rare thing nowadays.

Always liked this detail that in the first 3D game they made for N64 they thought, who is behind the camera as you control it? It's a Lakitu. So cool. Can't think of a game doing something of the like since then (?).

super mario nintendo GIF
It's so crazy to thing about now, but back then, using a controller to move a 3D camera was unheard of. They probably felt like they had to put the Lakitu cameraman in just to get people to understand how 3D games work. It really was the pioneer of 3D gaming. There was stuff before this, but it wasn't anywhere near as good or as accessible.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Hell yeah OP. One of my favorites of all-time. Enjoy it!

The other night, I became the second person in the world to beat Mario 64 using a drum set as a controller, and it kind of felt like I was playing it for the first time. That game is such a classic.

Horrible camera though 😂

Last edited:

skit_data

It's indeed a great game that while a bit aged visually still is just as fun when you play it today. A classic.

So long, gay Bowser!

Krathoon

Gold Member
Whats the best modern way to play Super Mario 64 now?

I was warned away from 3D all Stars on Switch (decided to do it when it released and completed it 100%) want to play again but sold my copy
The 3D All Stars version is essentially the final version, but it is based on the Japanese one and there is no gay Bowser line.

It is really, "So long, eh Bowser?"

Neff

It's a good game.

Can confirm. I played it in '96 on my brand new N64 and indeed found it to be a good game.

People who didn’t live through it can never understand what a ridiculous leap it felt like.

I've still never experienced anything quite like it. Like Nintendo saying 'we've invented time travel, here's a game from the future'. The generation had just started and people were being impressed by stuff like Clockwork Knight and Jumping Flash!, and then Nintendo fucking went and did... that. Escalation at warp factor ten doesn't do it justice.

Absolutely surreal and mind-bending series of events to witness.

Last edited:

skit_data

It is really, "So long, eh Bowser?"
I think he might just be pronounce it a bit wier "So longe, Bowser" or something. The extremely low bit depth/sampling rate of the recording probably contributes a lot to it sounding like separate words rather than a exhaled vowel at the end of "So long"

Last edited:

Seider

Great game. But i cant play the original one on Nintendo 64 anymore. A fan did a 60 fps version of the game that can be played on original hardware and emulators and thats the way i think the game should be played today.

I still cant believe the Nintendo 64 can move that game at 60 fps.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Biggest step in gaming for me 2d to 3d

After that is was prolly SD to HD gaming

Motorstorm on ps3

After that it was half life 2 physics based gameplay.

After that it was half life Alyx for VR gaming.

Back to mario 64 tho.. banjo kazooie was better in every way. Well besides being later

Surfheart

Probably my favourite game ever, I have huge nostalgia for it. The visuals floored me at the time especially Mario's animation.

Top Bottom