• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing Mario 64 for the first time in my life

bender

What time is it?
Hate it when people bash this game for "aging poorly" or whatever. Mario's moveset is outstanding to this day, crazy what the devs pulled off in 1996. Git gut.

I was in the same boat as the OP when I played Mario on the Switch collection. Beyond getting used to the camera and some of the item perspectives being a little odd, saying it merely holds up is a disservice. The only bummer is not getting to experience it at its' time as I'm sure it was mind bending.

Solarstrike

Gold Member
Get Out Theatre GIF by Tony Awards

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
It’s one of those games that get better with time for me.
Playing it in the Switch All-Stars collection was the best time I ever had with the game.
Doing Tick Tock Clock with a drifting left stick is not for the faint of heart, I tell you! But I still managed.

StueyDuck

I have squandered my childhood by not playing this when I was a kid.

It's a video games' video game. One of the most video game-y video games I've ever played.

The kind of game that makes you appreciate being a gamer.
Wait till you get to the actually good Zelda games.

OoT/MM are just a treat, us humans were not and still aren't worthy

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Played it on the Switch last year for the 1st time. I hated what I played. The camera, controls were shit. it kept making an annoying noise everytime you moved the camera. Of course the N64 graphics are pretty bad in retrospect but gameplay was just ok.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I still refuse to play it. I totally understand how revolutionary it was and respect that to the fullest. I was even there day one. I was just a PC kid at the time and didn’t think it was anything special and blew it off (despite already knowing SMW was pretty much the best game ever).

I’ve never come around. And I love Galaxy and Odyssey.

calistan

Gold Member
I still refuse to play it. I totally understand how revolutionary it was and respect that to the fullest. I was even there day one. I was just a PC kid at the time and didn’t think it was anything special and blew it off (despite already knowing SMW was pretty much the best game ever).

You won't play it out of principle?

Bulletzen72

Ah! That's a shame. I was a big PC gamer at the time too (1996). Quake just came out and it was my fucking jam! Tomb Raider also came out that year and I thought it was a bit shit, so I was indifferent about 3D platformers. I got the N64 as a gift that year with Mario 64 and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. Mario 64 fucking blew me away! After the initial controller issues I was completely hooked. Don't sleep on it. It's a lovely game.
Edit - 1996 was a fantastic year for games!

Last edited:

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber

Stupidity Are You Stupid GIF

Danknugz

first time i played mario64 was at a toys r us kiosk, and i was on acid, i'm not even joking. distinctly remember how crazy the grass looked and the texture interpolation when it zoomed in, fully 3d and not blocky/pixelated, like f-zero

Jsisto

Probably the most revolutionary game of all time. The only thing that’s “aged poorly” is the camera, and even that was groundbreaking at the time. I’ll never forget my brother and I getting home from toys r and having our minds completely blown. Then fighting over the controller for weeks.

Last edited:

Drizzlehell

Banned
People who didn’t live through it can never understand what a ridiculous leap it felt like. And without YouTube tips, videos, etc to spoil it all it was incredible exploring it on your own. I felt a real sense of wonder digging through that world.
I mean, it's not hard for me to imagine. I went from Commodore 64 to playing Quake on PC and watching my friend play MGS on PS1. Those were the game that used to blow my mind as a kid.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You won't play it out of principle?

I’ve tried

I’ve never gotten beyond tossing around the king Bob omb. I watched a friend play through it growing up so I get it, it just never clicked.

Same with Ocarina. I think that sucks too but I love the NES games, Link to the Past, WW, Twilight, Breath, Tears etc

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think that Super Mario 64 is one of the most incredible achievements in videogame history, maybe the most incredible one. Nintendo was essentially building the plane while they were flying it, designing this massive 3D game while they were developing the hardware with very little to go by. It's amazing it came out as well as it did and 27 years later it's still a great, fun game to play.

NikuNashi

OP, imagine playing it on release in 1996. Can't describe how important and amazing that experience was. I got it day 1 and it was a game changer.

Jinzo Prime

Gold Member
Just a reminder, the best way to play Super Mario 64 today is probably the PC port, if you don't mind fucking about with MYSYS2.

Nintendo achieved so much with N64 and Mario 64. Clear 3D with home console hardware, 3D camera, real 3D game, new controller for 3D, 3D platforming mechanics, audio etc.

It is still an absolute master class in game design and a thoroughly enjoyable and addictive game experience in current day gaming too.

BlueAlpaca

I didn't think it aged well when I replayed it - it needs a 60fps remake with a modern camera system (and no goddamn WOOT sound).

Top Bottom