• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing next gen below 4k

Hey guys, quick question.

Next generation I will move my consoles over to my pc setup. I usually run 1440p screens as I'm not in the market for high end graphic cards to run 4k/60fps and, to me, 1440p looks about as sharp as 4k given the average distance to the screen when gaming.
This also seems like the perfect excuse to invest into a 120hz HDR 1440p screen as I have never actually seen HDR in action.

Now in discussion with a friend a question came up: Do next gen consoles render everything in 4k and then downscale to whatever display is plugged in or would running a 1440p screen actually let me see performance improvements due to the smaller pixel count? How do XBox One X / PS4 Pro handle this?

(Also feel free to recommend a good display I should look into)

-Arcadia-

Banned
It was so long ago that I did the research, that I’m not sure, but I believe Xbox One X universally downsampled across all games so 4K would look a little cleaner on 1080p screens.

Last edited:

GHG

What size screen are you looking at?

There are now a number of 4k HDR TV's on the market that do native 1440p @ 120hz.

That way you'll get the best of both worlds. 4k HDR for consoles and 1440p 120hz for PC.

Last edited:

Portugeezer

Consoles usually render the game at the same resolution, regardless of what your TV resolution is. It always annoyed me when I played GTA4 back in a chunky 480p TV, could have been a lot smoother for me. There are some exceptions, but I don't remember them right now.

Type_Raver

We still only have a 1080p tv.
I'd hope that lower res displays might get a bit of a bump eye candy. Otherwise, I guess we're getting super sampling.

1440p doesn’t even look close to native 4k. Of course people are used to the shitty solutions Sony has offered with the pro, where the games only look good in still images, but a native image on a good 4k tv is amazing. Having both x and Ps4pro and playing something like Gears4 and then returning to things like god of war on the pro is quite painful. Get those artifacts and blurry shit out of my sight.

There are now a number of 4k HDR TV's on the market that do native 1440p @ 120hz.

That way you'll get the best of both worlds. 4k HDR for consoles and 1440p 120hz for PC.

Nah I'm not really using my TV apart from streaming some Netflix/Youtube so investing 4 digits to upgrade just seems like a waste. I'd love to plug in my console next to my pc so I can still have youtube up / chat / watch a stream while playing. It's just the nicer gaming environment.

Right now I'm running a Dell Ultrasharp U2715H so I'm looking into other 27'' options that support 1440p/120hz/HDR

Reactions: GHG

But that is like literally impossible on an led display... You mean support 1440p 120hz fullscreen stretched image, but not native... It won't look anywhere as clean as native 1440p monitor.

ZywyPL

Banned
Depends on the console - PS4 Pro renders the games at 1440/1600/1800p, then upscales them to 4K, and then downsamples back again to 1440p, where Xbox One X has the option to actually output native 1440p. But I don't know which solution gives better/sharper end results. Also X1X already supports Freesync, so I'd take that feature into consideration as well. So it will all come down to which one you'll pick, XBX will most definitely follow X1X steps, whereas noting is yet certain for PS5.

GHG

But that is like literally impossible on an led display... You mean support 1440p 120hz fullscreen stretched image, but not native... It won't look anywhere as clean as native 1440p monitor.

Samsung's Q series and LG's latest OLED's have native support for 1440p @ 120hz.

6AjwHVR.jpg

oXyvGim.jpg

Rx2XIFq.jpg

If you want 4k HDR support for consoles and 1440p 120hz support then these are your best options right now. The cherry on top is that they also have freesync support.

Last edited:
What he means is that any resolution that is not native for the display always looks shitty. I played my 1080p Xbox One on my 1440p screen before. It's horrendous.

Banned
Hey guys, quick question.

Next generation I will move my consoles over to my pc setup. I usually run 1440p screens as I'm not in the market for high end graphic cards to run 4k/60fps and, to me, 1440p looks about as sharp as 4k given the average distance to the screen when gaming.
This also seems like the perfect excuse to invest into a 120hz HDR 1440p screen as I have never actually seen HDR in action.

Now in discussion with a friend a question came up: Do next gen consoles render everything in 4k and then downscale to whatever display is plugged in or would running a 1440p screen actually let me see performance improvements due to the smaller pixel count? How do XBox One X / PS4 Pro handle this?

(Also feel free to recommend a good display I should look into)

the PS4pro does not support 1440p, which is hilarious given that most games run at around that resolution on it.

meanwhile the One X does support 1440p.

so honestly, I wouldn't bet on the PS5 supporting any resolution in-between 2160p and 1080p

and for performance improvements, that a game by game thing.
on PS4pro some games have a 4k output mode and a 1080p Output mode. these are based on your video settings in the ps4's settings menu
on One X developers can't do that and instead have to use in-game settings if they want to offer multiple modes.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

GHG

What he means is that any resolution that is not native for the display always looks shitty. I played my 1080p Xbox One on my 1440p screen before. It's horrendous.

That depends on the quality of the scaler in the display.

I've been gaming at 1440p 120hz on my Q70r and I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between 1440p and native 4k. What is immediately apparent is the difference between 120hz and 60hz so for that reason I prefer to play at 1440p 120hz.

The reality is that most monitors have poor scalers because the assumption is you will be hooking it up to a PC where you can set the resolution to native and then let the PC do all the scaling for any content that is below native resolution.

I'm gonna play Cyberpunk 2077 on my Alienware 17 and i don't believe it is capable of 3k let alone 4k... I don't give a shit, I'll slough off whole continents of detail if it gives me a stylistically solid stand in and smooth framerate.

A 4K [3840x2160 native res] TV CAN NOT do native 1440p... just because some stupid site says it does doesn't make it true.

2560x1440 on a 4k TV pixel to pixel would take less than half of estate and you would have black bars all around if displayed natively pixel to pixel. You can set an option in graphics drivers on pc to scale pixel to pixel, but it won't be fullscreen then, obviously, as anything below 4k is not native res on 4K tv.

Again a 2560x1440 27" monitor will look clearer than ANY LED, QLED, OLED 4K tv that is set to 1440p res.

They will probably downsample to your screen's resolution. It's a smart move to have that option, so hopefully Sony and msoft will enable that from the get go.

GHG

A 4K [3840x2160 native res] TV CAN NOT do native 1440p... just because some stupid site says it does doesn't make it true.

2560x1440 on a 4k TV pixel to pixel would take less than half of estate and you would have black bars all around if displayed natively pixel to pixel. You can set an option in graphics drivers on pc to scale pixel to pixel, but it won't be fullscreen then, obviously, as anything below 4k is not native res on 4K tv.

Again a 2560x1440 27" monitor will look clearer than ANY LED, QLED, OLED 4K tv that is set to 1440p res.

You might want to check yourself there... rtings are not "some stupid site".

The scaling is done via the TV, they have the scaler set up so that it accepts the signal as if it's a native one, all I do is set my resolution to 1440p 120hz on my PC and it just works, no creating/forcing custom resolutions required.

Sorry for mentioning it as a viable option for the OP considering the fact that you also get native 4k, freesync and HDR beyond what any monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would give you. Sheesh.

You might want to check yourself there... rtings are not "some stupid site".

The scaling is done via the TV, they have the scaler set up so that it accepts the signal as if it's a native one, all I do is set my resolution to 1440p 120hz on my PC and it just works, no creating/forcing custom resolutions required.

Sorry for mentioning it as a viable option for the OP considering the fact that you also get native 4k, freesync and HDR beyond what any monitor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would give you. Sheesh.
Oh I agree completely there's most likely nothing better than C9 or upcoming C10 for next gen consoles.

Top Bottom