• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing PS1 games on Wii and video component output

Harlock

WiiStation 3.0 is maybe the only emulator for Wii with a recent update. Has a lot of options and with the correct bios play well most PS1 games.
If you have Wii and a CRT with component output will look great.

yzvMGxy.jpeg
EF8sOfY.jpeg

jlMXAiC.jpeg
XsOe4BI.jpeg
HBVdRJ2.jpeg
CvHF0gf.jpeg

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I use one of our old Wiis for emulation on a CRT (my other setup is a Pi on a CRT in another room) and it was great for 16-bit and under, but I don't recall PS1 working as well when I last tried years ago. By comparison, my Pi now has a very good PS1 performance on most games.

How's the performance of this updated emulator? Does it have a smooth framerate?

In general, the Wii is way underrated as an emulation box. Absolutely nothing beats having native CRT output for old games. Without CRT output (which the Pi also offers, but I had to install a ton of manual fixes to get the output just right over composite TV out cables), there isn't any point at all in emulation... your games will look nothing like the past even if you install every possible filter.

Last edited:
I'm also one that still plays Wip3out often :messenger_grinning_sweat: Shame I didn't hear of this a few months ago as I may have tried it, since using Duckstation with a configured crt-royale shader for PS1 I can't be bothered these days messing with the Wii much.

I use one of our old Wiis for emulation on a CRT (my other setup is a Pi on a CRT in another room) and it was great for 16-bit and under, but I don't recall PS1 working as well when I last tried years ago. By comparison, my Pi now has a very good PS1 performance on most games.

How's the performance of this updated emulator? Does it have a smooth framerate?

In general, the Wii is way underrated as an emulation box. Absolutely nothing beats having native CRT output for old games. Without CRT output (which the Pi also offers, but I had to install a ton of manual fixes to get the output just right over composite TV out cables), there isn't any point at all in emulation... your games will look nothing like the past even if you install every possible filter.
Agreed, the Wii is incredible for CRT emulation. I just wish it was a tad bit faster to ensure even more available games to emulate - it was the absolute last watermark for CRT output and it's a shame we won't have anything better. Ever, really.

To that point, yeah I thought PSX emulation wasn't nearly fast enough. Hell, some SNES games aren't fast enough in Retroarch and you need to use one of the SNES dedicated emulators.

Harlock

For this verion of WiiStation and using this bios seems to run fine. But I not tested a lot of games. Should be some that freezes the emulator. Wii is always tight on memory.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Hey OP, thanks for the heads up! I'll make sure to try this on my Wii, maybe later today.

I usually play PS1 games on a PS2 via OPL+Popstarter, but it's kinda hit and miss since not all games work properly and some might have bugs or visual glitches.

If this update means I'll be able to replay Valkyrie Profile on a CRT, I'll be a happy man.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Tried it briefly, seems to work great! Wasn't sure about PS1's output res, so I enbaled the 240p rendering which I guess is ideal for playing on a CRT.

Vagrant Story seems to run at 60fps without any issue, and it looks, plays and sounds amazingly fine.

IMG-20240429-182741.jpg

Valkyrie Profile had a few minor v-sync issues during the intro sequence, bit aside from that, it works great!

IMG-20240429-183945.jpg

In both games, music, voices and sound effects were clean and fine, no stutters nor any kind of that crap.

I also tried Chrono Cross. Same issue as Valkyrie Profile with the weird v-sync bug, bit aside from that, seems perfect.

IMG-20240429-184501.jpg

Thanks again OP, this made my day lol.
The Wii sure is shaping to be a pretty neat retro-emulation machine.

Absolutely nothing beats having native CRT output for old games.
but there is no "native CRT output".
output from any console or PC starts out as digital. in order for a CRT to accept the signal, it needs to be converted to analog. all the different cable formats that a CRT accepts (RF, BNC, VGA, composite, component, DVI-A, DVI-I) just carry an analog signal that used to be digital.
nothing special.
Without CRT output [...], there isn't any point at all in emulation... your games will look nothing like the past even if you install every possible filter.
the "CRT effect" isnt even the same across all CRTs.
this is due to shadow mask vs slot mask vs aperture grill, dot pitch, etc.
what looks "right" to you might be off for someone else depending on what type of CRT you grew up with.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Cool but I just bought an old ps1 console with a hdmi adapter and it's the best way to play for me. Emulators just can't match the original. And if you are one who likes to up-res ps1 games ...

w=500

Last edited:

CRT is definitely the best, especially due to input latency. Having that analog connection funneled directly from the console to your eyeballs is something that most people will never experience. It's a shame. CRTs are still available if you look, and you can try out a few different styles to suit your taste! I settled on a JVC D-Series.

I will say that my PS1 s-video via a Retrotink 5X on an LG OLED was stunning. I played through Final Fantasy 7 and Wild Arms using it, and it looked like a PVM with perfect geometry. However, 480i games looked horrible in motion.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

output from any console or PC starts out as digital. in order for a CRT to accept the signal, it needs to be converted to analog. all the different cable formats that a CRT accepts (RF, BNC, VGA, composite, component, DVI-A, DVI-I) just carry an analog signal that used to be digital.
nothing special.

what looks "right" to you might be off for someone else depending on what type of CRT you grew up with.
Also a weird take of him that unless it's played on a true CRT, there's no point in playing these games.

A RetroTink 4K has a lot of options to mimic various CRT displays. Not good enough to fool a trained eye of course (till we get displays with good BFI) but it's still way better than raw sharp pixels.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
nothing special.
I'm not sure what the point of the semantic correction is; it's "native" on a Wii, Pi, etc because it's built into the device as a first-tier output, rather than going through a second external adapter to convert it. And it outputs the native resolution / correct refresh rates etc

Sure, but the differences among classic CRTs are far less than the difference between CRTs and contemporary displays. Inevitably there is a subjective judgment here, but for me (who grew up in that era, and enjoyed many kinds of CRTs in arcades and homes), the look of classic games on modern displays is simply awful no matter how much filtering you apply.

Last edited:
Top Bottom