• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playing through TimeSplitters games for the first time via Xbox backwards compatibility

Drizzlehell

Banned
Man, these are fucking excellent. I vaguely remember a friend showing one of those to me way back in the day but I never had a chance to play through them until now. I know nothing about its developers but it wouldn't at all surprise me if the same people who made Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were involved in these because they feel so similar.

Everything about this just makes me feel warm inside because that's how I remember games used to be - fun, unique, imaginative. This is exactly what I think of when I talk about a classic video game. It's beautiful.

I honestly can't believe that the same developer later went on to make Haze, lol. What an epic nose dive in quality that was.

Also, what's up with the first TimeSplitters being absent from the backwards compatibility catalogue? Am I missing a lot by not playing it first? I guess it's too late now since I'm already halfway through Future Perfect but if the original is also worth checking out then I may go back and emulate it later or something.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I remember being disappointed in these games. I wanted a spiritual successor to Goldeneye + Perfect Dark but got this wacky, fast paced IP instead. The latter 2 games were solid though.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Played a shit load of Timesplitters 1 and 2 back in the day. TS1 was okay, but TS2 was sublime. My favorite shooter experience. How was the third game? I was going through a phase when it came out and missed out on it

Last edited:

MAtgS

Also, what's up with the first TimeSplitters being absent from the backwards compatibility catalogue? Am I missing a lot by not playing it first? I guess it's too late now since I'm already halfway through Future Perfect but if the original is also worth checking out then I may go back and emulate it later or something.
TS1 was PS2 exclusive. You're not exactly missing much however. The single player mode was basically just multiplayer maps with bots and some trinket that you had to grab & bring back to the start. It's practically an unfinished beta compared to TS2.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Played a shit load of Timesplitters 1 and 2 back in the day. TS1 was okay, but TS2 was sublime. My favorite shooter experience. How was the third game? I was going through a phase when it came out and missed out on it
It's basically a more refined version of TS2. The biggest difference is that it actually feels like a cohesive storyline with cutscenes that connect each level instead of being just a collage of random missions like in TS2. You also remain in the shoes of the main seargant hero guy and actually meet the characters from TS2 instead of somehow transforming into them.

The gameplay also feels improved, with more elaborate objectives and set pieces, better weapon animations, bigger levels, etc. Basically taking what was already good about the last game and building upon it.

Previous poster said that the first games' single player was basically a series of bot matches, so that would mean that TS2 took the next step by introducing actual campaign missions, albeit with a threadbear story. So, TS3 took it even further by having a more intricate story with fleshed out characters and plot twists and shit.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Future Perfect is 1/ a very good game and 2/ enhanced via the BC very nicely. I got it for like $2.99 a few months back and finished in 2, 3 sittings. Really good fun.

Drizzlehell

Banned
Future Perfect is 1/ a very good game and 2/ enhanced via the BC very nicely. I got it for like $2.99 a few months back and finished in 2, 3 sittings. Really good fun.
Yeah, it runs really nicely on my Series S. Really digging the stylised graphics from that era. And it's even in almost widescreen, lol.

Furthermore, apparently Free Radical Design has been reformed and they’re working on a new TimeSplitters.
I do want this indeed.

I think the first one was only on PS2, was a launch title here in PAL land.
Well, that explains it, then. Emulation it is.

Woopah

It would be very rare to get a game with the amount of content that TS3 had today. Most of the challenges and arcade misisons woud be locked behind a season pass, and instead of getting 150 charaters you'd get 30 and have to pay microtransactions for the rest.

Drizzlehell

Banned
It would be very rare to get a game with the amount of content that TS3 had today. Most of the challenges and arcade misisons woud be locked behind a season pass, and instead of getting 150 charaters you'd get 30 and have to pay microtransactions for the rest.
The sad part is that this isn't even the cynical point of view anymore. This is literally what would've happened today. Or worse - it would have some kind of battle royale multiplayer with garbage battle pass, and indoctrinated gamers would even defend it by saying that developers gotta eat or something.

Last edited:
Top Bottom