• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dual Protagonist Games

Celcius

°Temp. member
What do you guys think about games with dual protagonists? The kind where when you first start up the game and then you pick one character or the other, and then as you play through the game each characters has certain exclusive scenes, recruitable characters, etc... with the incentive to play through the game twice.

Initially I thought it was cool but now I wish they'd just have a single experience with all the scenes and budget added to that, and then later on if I want then I can play through the game again just for fun (probably a few years later).

How do you all feel about these types of games?

Deft Beck

I think it can be a good narrative device and a good way to showcase different challenges unique to each protagonist.

Nankatsu

Gold Member
It's cool if they do it like GTA V or Spider-man 2, that is, you have a single story that intertwines both protagonists perspectives in a single and unique narrative not making you replay an identical scenario with both characters.

Making players play the same exact story with only a few different scenes, just to expand replayability is legit bad in my opinion.

Last edited:

killatopak

It’s basically the foundations of my favorite game series RE.

You can always play 2 or more characters. Whether you consider them actual main characters is a debate though especially since some of them are DLC exclusive.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Resident Evil 2 style
Or RE4 with Separate Ways DLC, yes
Love that
Assassin's Creed Syndicate & Spider-man 2
Hate it

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Pfffft, true gamers demand THREE protagonists

513501-suikoden-iii-playstation-3-front-cover.jpg

Griffon

Resident Evil 2 (PS1) is the gold standard.

GTAV and Sonic Adventure also did great with multiple protagonist stories.
Oh and KH Birth by Sleep was also good at this.

The concept of seeing the same events through different perspectives is always cool.

Last edited:

Zannegan

If you have the option to play as different protagonists, or even just pick the order in which you play them, it's cool. And having selectable characters in a co-op game is great. Unlockable protagonists for replays are also neat.

If I *have* to switch between characters at key story moments, I'm usually not a fan. In fact, off the top of my head I can't think of an instance where I enjoyed it as a mechanic. I know it's a big feature in the next Spiderman, but it does nothing for me.

Now, if it were a Spiderman Musou/Warriors game where I was frantically switching between characters to accomplish objectives across a dynamic "battlefield," then I'd be all for it. Probably a double-standard, but that's what muh gaming gut says.

Beechos

I enjoyed phantasy star 2 in this regard. The 1st half of the game you play as the father just when you thought the game is over, the 2nd half of the game you play as the son like 25 years later. It mightve went a 3rd time as the grandchild dont remember. It was cool to see the world change as the generations went by.

Last edited:

ManaByte

What do you guys think about games with dual protagonists? The kind where when you first start up the game and then you pick one character or the other, and then as you play through the game each characters has certain exclusive scenes, recruitable characters, etc... with the incentive to play through the game twice.

Initially I thought it was cool but now I wish they'd just have a single experience with all the scenes and budget added to that, and then later on if I want then I can play through the game again just for fun (probably a few years later).

I think it’s the worst legacy of MGS2 and developers who copy it for their sequel come off a pretentious as it ruins the game.

I liked how Broken Age handled the two protagonists. Separate stories going at the same time and then crossing over.

Last edited:

AmuroChan

I don't have a problem with multiple protagonists if it's done well. Played Trails into Reverie recently and the way they handled multiple protagonists was great IMO.

Uo2vRmP.jpg

Ozzie666

Usually doesn’t bother me, but I do prefer forced switching as opposed to real time.
I am hoping Spider-Man bucks this trend.

The forced switches can also not be great if it’s too long. Abby was great but it was half the game and a cheap way to re use assets and lower costs.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

Star ocean the second story was my favorite game of all time growing up. This was amazing.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Just finished Sea of Stars... and it was kind of the worst way to do multiple protagonists, I think. Both of the main characters were nearly devoid of any distinguishing characteristics (besides one being blue and the other being yellow). You could pick one at the beginning and it had almost no effect on the game itself.

Kind of a letdown, to be honest.

Shifty1897

Good question, I think it depends on the game. As mentioned earlier, Sea of Stars is an example of bad implementation. Threads of Fate is an example of how to do it right, where the gameplay of the entire game changes, as does parts of the story.

died-man.gif

Was cool as shit in Resident Evil 2 back in the day. Gave a decent reason to replay and see the changes and story from different perspectives.

SyberWolf

dont like it.
i hate switching between 3 people all the time in GTA V, it breaks immersion.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ghostwire: Tokyo handled it well but not in the way you describe. You're essentially possessed by a 2nd protagonist. The character development is really solid, both have their own motivation and the game does a great job with a buddy cop vibe.

nowhat

Making players play the same exact story with only a few different scenes, just to expand replayability is legit bad in my opinion.
Without spoiling much, NieR: Automata ending B is pretty much that. Except some of the scenes are wildly different, and the game mechanics as well (even though I hate the "hacking"). And I think that works. Now after that shit gets really wild and you're no longer replaying the same game, but again, spoilers so I will not be getting into it.

Mhmmm 2077

Also, just thought of this, but technically The Witcher 3 also features dual protagonists, but again, you don't have the freedom to choose, besides the other one is just in specific points of story.

Choices, choices.

I like it, it gives the game more replayability. Plus, if I don't want to play the game again, it teaches me to let go. It's a win in each case.

ProtoByte

Tales of Xillia did this with Jude and Milla. I never played through Milla's half of the game; the story wasn't that interesting for it.

Paltheos

Most of the games I can think of do it right, letting you experience new story sequences and areas with a different lead (see the many games listed in this topic). I've played a fair number of them, and they're great.

The only bad example I can think of off the top of my head is Tales of Xillia, which is the same game for 90% of the run except for different battle music, and the parts that are different aren't really that interesting and actually kinda bad (like most of the game!).

I'd clarify between Dual-Protagonist and Split-Protagonist games.

TLOU2, God Of War Ragnarok, Halo 2, and MGS2 are examples of the latter where completing the campaign requires assuming the role of another character for an extensive amount of time (as opposed to simply playing the same game where the narrative is not dependent on your selection). I'm not sure how I'd categorize a game like Marvel's Spiderman where you have the MJ sequences, but it's a different arrangement, IMO.

But split protagonist games? I like them, generally speaking. I think TLOU2, in particular, could have been done better, but overall I enjoy the narrative flexibility and insight it can offer.

Top Bottom