• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield Player Completes New Game Plus an Incredible 33 Times, Makes Cool Discovery (Spoilers)

Draugoth

Gold Member
Starfield-Fa-aponta-detalhes-estranhos-sobre-o-novo-Atlantis-1024x512.jpg.webp

Once you beat the main story, you can start a new game that puts you back near the start of Starfield with new story permutations, new dialogue options, and even at least one new main mission to complete. And get lucky is exactly what happened to X/Twitter user and Starfield superfan @NikoMueller, who after travelling through 34 multiverses (33 New Game Plus runs) finally decided to “settle down”. But… surprise! Awaiting the silent protagonist at Constellation HQ was a fully voiced version of the player character herself.

If you encounter this New Game Plus variation you’ll get to see some fun interactions between the player character and their multiverse self, as well as other main characters in the game. According to NikoMueller, the alternate version of their character has the same stats as they did from their first playthrough, and has plenty of questions herself. Well you would if another version of you just walked through the door, wouldn't you? (No, it does not appear to be possible to romance yourself.)

So, what’s going on here? As you arrive at the The Lodge in this variation you find a version of you already exists in this universe. You'll be able to talk to yourself and explain that you're Starborn and what you know about the Artifacts. While the you that's currently in this universe doesn't really want to help out, you can convince them to team up with you and recruit yourself.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
There's other instances where you can run into baby versions of your main crew as well.

This is probably an example of why some reviewers said you should get to NG+ as soon as possible, which is something I still completely disagree with btw.

JayK47

Pretty cool I guess, but that dim light is at the very far end of a very long tunnel. I found that while playing NG+ that I really didn't want to redo most of the missions. There is not enough "choices matters" moments, or there is only really one choice to make. I hate how Bethesda turns most choices into "choose this faction and destroy the rest". They did that in Fallout 4 and it was stupid. I found the base building to be very tedious as you always need to run off and find something. It reminded me of working on my home and needing to run to the hardware store because no matter how well you plan, you are missing something. Not fun.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This just proves theres some insane design and mixed choices between the devs who worked on Starfield, as if some ppl started then quit and others picked up and changed stuff almost completely. Guess thats what happens when you make a game for 6+ years. Clearly theres some great ideas in there, maybe from many years ago that were buried under all the modern trash. Meeting yourself would've been an insane idea from NG+ 1, not 33, hell, actually it shouldnt have been part of NG+, this would've made the main story more messed up if it was part of it. Anyway, as it is, this changes nothing. Starfield is still a pos.

Everytime you initiate NG+, there's a small chance you get a gimmick universe of some kind. This is one of them. If you make a manual save before entering the Unity, you can keep trying until you get a universe you like instead of trudging through NG+ 33 times like this poor guy (just thinking of all those temples... ugh).
Here's another example of a gimmick universe, where there are multiple variants of yourself:

Sadly, you can't recruit any of yourselves in this universe (a missed opportunity IMO).

Fun fact: at launch, the gimmick universes were bugged and you couldn't save or access the inventory for the entire run. Classic Bethesda.

twilo99

They might be a smaller % of the players base, but there are still people out there that love this game as much as any of Bethesda’s previous RPGs, and they will play around with this game for years..

ungalo

Everytime you initiate NG+, there's a small chance you get a gimmick universe of some kind. This is one of them. If you make a manual save before entering the Unity, you can keep trying until you get a universe you like instead of trudging through NG+ 33 times like this poor guy (just thinking of all those temples... ugh).
Here's another example of a gimmick universe, where there are multiple variants of yourself:

Sadly, you can't recruit any of yourselves in this universe (a missed opportunity IMO).

Fun fact: at launch, the gimmick universes were bugged and you couldn't save or access the inventory for the entire run. Classic Bethesda.

That's actually amazing, didn't know about that.

But those aspects don't really get to shine, i don't know if it fits the overall structure of the game. So many interesting things buried under questionable design.

That's one of only 10 variations, problem is NG+ generation is stupid. There's only a 15% chance to get a different universe than the default, and if you roll it then each of ten variants has an equal chance to generate.
The game drastically changes what it is in the NG+, becoming damn near a rouge like. From what I understand it only takes about 5 hours to complete a run.
It takes 90 minutes if you skip the main quest, 60 of which are as bad as the Oblivion gates...

In case anyone hopes this NG+ means you'll eventually loop back to the original universe: it ain't happening. The save is nuked when you trigger NG+, it only keeps your stats and research progress. You can check the file size yourself... It doesn't even let you fast forward faction questlines like you can skip the main quest.

Last edited:

bbeach123

Tbh this mechanic does not fit in a rpg , especially a rpg having a base building , house building , gears crafting , ships building .

Bridges

I got this on my second NG+ run. Was super cool but not really game changing aside from seemingly being unable to recruit the Constellation members as companions. I decided not to try a third run (yet).

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
There's only 10 variations. And you can easily acquire these by using console commands. Like I said a while back it only takes 40 minutes to complete one run and you realistically only need 10 playthroughs to level all your force powers to rank 10. And then just exist in your 11th playthrough taking the alternate story choices which just skips a couple questlines.

Ironically if you wanted to you just use console commands to rank everything up and just play the game twice and call it a day until the expansion stuff comes out.

Dazraell

At first I was laughing at him for completing this game more than once, but damn, this discovery is really cool

Barakov

Gold Member
Starfield-Fa-aponta-detalhes-estranhos-sobre-o-novo-Atlantis-1024x512.jpg.webp

Once you beat the main story, you can start a new game that puts you back near the start of Starfield with new story permutations, new dialogue options, and even at least one new main mission to complete. And get lucky is exactly what happened to X/Twitter user and Starfield superfan @NikoMueller, who after travelling through 34 multiverses (33 New Game Plus runs) finally decided to “settle down”. But… surprise! Awaiting the silent protagonist at Constellation HQ was a fully voiced version of the player character herself.

If you encounter this New Game Plus variation you’ll get to see some fun interactions between the player character and their multiverse self, as well as other main characters in the game. According to NikoMueller, the alternate version of their character has the same stats as they did from their first playthrough, and has plenty of questions herself. Well you would if another version of you just walked through the door, wouldn't you? (No, it does not appear to be possible to romance yourself.)

So, what’s going on here? As you arrive at the The Lodge in this variation you find a version of you already exists in this universe. You'll be able to talk to yourself and explain that you're Starborn and what you know about the Artifacts. While the you that's currently in this universe doesn't really want to help out, you can convince them to team up with you and recruit yourself.

Last edited:

Garibaldi

Well, I feel suitably spoiled now. Here I thought Starfield was an average spaceships are serious business kind of game. Now I see it's also got the 21st century 'multiverse' schtick everything has these days. Awesome.

Hugare

NG universes are random

So you dont need to finish the game 33 times. Maybe you'll get this ending on your first NG run

This is a really cool NG variation

They really have made a very long lasting game here.

Easily a forever game. But a forever game also needs long lasting support and development I am afraid.

Let's see what they have up their sleeve. As of now majority of Bethesda is still working on this game.

Bethesda Still Has 'About 250' Developers Working On Starfield

They are making DLCs. Expect expansions just like they did with every Bethesda game.

I doubt that they will rework gameplay systems and improve QoL etc. like CDPR usually does. Bethesda never did such things.

K2D

Banned
Can you meet characters made by other players, like in No Man Sky you encounter planets discovered by other players, or is it based on you game saves only? I'm not that impressed if it's the latter.

Top Bottom