• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raven117

This comes down to a design issue probably relating to the Creation Engine. Maybe in 5 years those loads will feel a lot shorter and that will improve things, but it's not going to be patched out.
It just adds to the overall clunkiness of the game. Because of the lack of just open world wandering around, it feels you are engaging with the clunk far too often.

If they went with like 20 hand design planets…. Can fly between them and land…. That would have been all that’s required. For effs sakes…. The outer wilds did it.

Musilla

JH0hCu4.gif

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
At the end of the day, I think that Starfield actually deserved it's low 80's meta, because with my crazy schedule I won't stay in a game for 70 hours if it's shit. It's a game of supernova-level glaring issues, but with it's moments like zero-g and overall satisfying shootin'n'lootin' loop. I can't say that I've wasted my time.

But boy, I do hope that it will be slammed hard. Why? Bethesda, especially BGS with infinite MS pockets, do need a big shakedown to learn something. They need a punch in the bottom to actually change something in their tech and philosophy. Because honestly, I'm not worrying about Starfield. It's fine. But potential TES VI shenanigans scares me shitless.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
I think Bethesda needs a new creative lead. Todd Howard hasn’t kept up with advancements in the gaming industry and there’s various things in the game that just feel old.
I think it’s a lot more about Emil than Todd. Every game he leads is turning structurally into TES guilds. Every. Single. One.

M1987

This is my first Bethesda game and it's pretty good,but the AI is completely embarrassing for a 2023 game,and I've seen better in 2010.It's annoying being in a gun fight and the enemy justs starts levitating through the air

Mephisto40

Of all of the hype of the Zero G combat, I've played for 60 hours now, and have discovered a grand total of 1 location that had zero g movement in it

Also the game seem to be crashing more and more on my playthrough on xbox, I can't play for an hour now without the game crashing when I enter the menus

Last edited:

Tsaki

Of all of the hype of the Zero G combat, I've played for 60 hours now, and have discovered a grand total of 1 location that had zero g movement in it

Also the game seem to be crashing more and more on my playthrough on xbox, I can't play for an hour now without the game crashing when I enter the menus
I did see at some reviews that the game is much more polished in the early part of the playthrough and it becomes buggier and less performant the more you play.

I have put about 50 hours in and I would give the game a solid 8/10. It reminds me alot of Destiny 1, objectively flawed but weirdly addictive to the point where I can't stop playing. I can see why somebody might not like it, as coming off TOTK which has a great tutorial, forcing players to engage with all its mechanics, basically experiencing 90% of the game in the first couple of hours, Starfield is the reverse and is almost schizophrenic in its structure. That's not good design. Should have been a smaller, more focused game without so much procedural nonsense. I think they cynically made a game to be played for a long time, sacrificing quality to an extent. However, I would still give it an 8 as it has worked on me.

Flabagast

Kotaku finally posted their review

They are basically nearly calling the game worthless except a few sparse aesthetical emotions (which seems to be the general consensus if you except the hardcore Xbox fanboys)

A jack of all trades and master of none, Starfield’s abundance is flattened by clunky design and a poverty of choice

A deeply uninteresting world on a galactic scale​

Starfield dramatically falls short in its attempts to be so many games at once. Its world is segmented and lifeless, with a frustrating learning curve before seamless navigation ever feels possible.

Topher

Gold Member
Kotaku finally posted their review

They are basically nearly calling the game worthless except a few sparse aesthetical emotions (which seems to be the general consensus if you except the hardcore Xbox fanboys)

That review has good things to say about the game as well.

"But it’s that main story, which sends you around the galaxy as you hunt down the remainder of the vision-inducing artifacts, which bears Starfield’s strongest narrative offering. In fact, it’s the most memorable main quest I’ve played in a Bethesda game in some time (though to be fair, in some Bethesda games, it’s the side quests that are the real stars of the show). There are mysteries at play in Starfield which are never spelled out, and that preserves a sense of wonder. When the big, concrete revelations do come, they offer satisfying answers without depriving the cosmos of its awe-inspiring mystique. And instead of just spouting exposition at you for completing the quest, Starfield packages its sci-fi elements into a neat game mechanic at the conclusion, one that I’ll hold off on spoiling in this review."

"And yet, in spite of itself, Starfield does feel rather special. It amounts to something more than the sum of its parts. I’ve dismissed many games for having the same issues you can’t escape in Starfield, yet here I am, still playing this one, still thinking about it constantly."

"Personally, I’m digging outpost building. I expect that many who loved Fallout 4’s settlements won’t find as much joy here, but maintaining and establishing outposts is proving to be a really satisfying management game that encourages me to explore this universe and map out cargo supply routes across the galaxy. I recently spun up a new character to ignore as many quests as I can and simply live life managing outposts, and I’m excited about moving through the game this way."

Topher

Gold Member
What does he say ?

Says between Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield, Starfield is the weakest. Criticizes the disjointed world and the menu based navigation and procedurally navigated filler. Misses the sense of exploring he had in previous games. Thinks the ship aspect, especially building, was fantastic. Praises the faction quests and some of the characters, especially Andreja, but calls Barrett's story "throw away". Says loot system is awful. Says Cyberpunk highlights that Starfield gameplay is behind. Still thinks it is a great game and a top five for him this year. Has a lot more to say but those are just some highlights. Definitely suggest watching.

Poltz

In spite of these shortcomings, Starfield exerts a curious gravitational pull: there is a pleasant mindlessness to it that means it can easily become a black hole for your free time. But if it's not a bad game, it's an achingly unambitious one, failing in what should be one of the foundational aspects of any space exploration game (see Post Script). True, we've come a long way in six decades. But zoom in on the recent history of games – and that of its maker – and you're forced to concede that we've not covered much distance after all. For Bethesda, this isn't so much a giant leap as barely a small step.

Edge blurb. 6/10.

Apart from Edge's review, the game has now also dropped out of the Most Played Games list.

Q67jCDq.jpg

Using the Players now charts instead of 24h peak is a little stupid honestly, because it depends so much of the time of the day and the "markets" that are currently playing. The picture is not exactly the same when you use the most interesting one.

pIy9WDl.jpg

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Using the Players now charts instead of 24h peak is a little stupid honestly, because it depends so much of the time of the day and the "markets" that are currently playing. The picture is not exactly the same when you use the most interesting one.

pIy9WDl.jpg
I used the chart that appears on the front page of Steamdb. I didn't modify any filters. And the time of the day is applicable to all games on that list the same way.

BlOhs7I.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
I used the chart that appears on the front page of Steamdb. I didn't modify any filters. And the time of the day is applicable to all games on that list the same way.

I expect Starfield will be back on the current player list today when the US is awake. The game peaks around 3pm EST. Cyberpunk 2077 peaks 5 hours earlier at 10am. That would suggest Starfield is more popular in the US and Cyberpunk 2077 is more popular in EU.

Regardless, Starfield is certainly falling in player count as it used to be a constant on the current player count. Then again, so are the other single player games. The mainstays on Steam are the multiplayer games.

Edit:

As expected...

SblrG3D.png

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I expect Starfield will be back on the current player list today when the US is awake. The game peaks around 3pm EST. Cyberpunk 2077 peaks 5 hours earlier at 10am. That would suggest Starfield is more popular in the US and Cyberpunk 2077 is more popular in EU.

Regardless, Starfield is certainly falling in player count as it used to be a constant on the current player count. Then again, so are the other single player games. The mainstays on Steam are the multiplayer games.
Yes, this data tells us an interesting tidbit Starfield is being played more in the US. It's interesting because the US is Microsoft's strongest market in terms of console market share, although xCloud / GP is available pretty much equally in the rest of the world.

But apart from that, the 24-hour peak has gone down overall after a month. It'll be interesting how Bethesda/Microsoft ensures the "long legs."

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They would need to start deploying NMS style updates, but I think they will just release the mod tools and allow modders to do it for them.
Yeah they will absolutely not do that. Otherwise, ES6 is f'ed up and wouldn't be coming out even in the next 12 years lol.

damidu

wow edgy, but fair.
game started as 8, settled on 6 for me as well.
more you play, more annoying its issues feel.

also no way this will have any sort of lasting impact for years to come, thats just another fanboy dream at this point.

time for a big bethesda shake up before they screw elder scrolls for good as well.
can’t imagine how archaic this same game will feel in 2030

nemiroff

Gold Member
The game is fairly enjoyable and sometimes it looks fantastic. But it's so frustrating to see so much potential wasted by archaic design..

Besides the fact that the game doesn't have much teeth and edge, what kills this game technically for me in particular is much related to the loading screens. It's odd to me that powerhouses like MS/BGS thought that this was a good way to release a game in 2023. I would even trade some of the persistence for a more contemporary seamless feel.

Albeit a different game with a different scope, take a look at Cyberpunk (yeah, it's everyone's favorite go-to atm for a reason..) f.ex.: A vast expansive city with travel and interiors, dynamic cut-scenes... All completely void of any loading screens.

:/

Last edited:
Top Bottom