• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield | Review Thread

What scores do you think StarfieId will get?

• 40-45%

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • 45-50%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50-55%

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • 55-60%

• 60-65%

• 65-70%

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • 70-75%

Votes: 5 0.8%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 15 2.3%
  • 80-85%

Votes: 81 12.5%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 241 37.3%
  • 90-95%

Votes: 243 37.6%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 55 8.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Gudji

We going to blame this on Starfield too?

im done GIF
Couldn't let pass the joke opportunity. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I don't understand so much criticism towards this game. I'm playing the game (40 hours in) in XSX, also some friends of me on PC, and all of us we are loving it. Yes, it's not perfect, but it's so addictive and immersive. When I enter the forum is like entering in a parallel world.

It's a BGS game, you either love them or hate them. As far as the forum goes, it's GAF, and it's an Xbox first party title, so there you go.

I picked 85-90 for the meta, idk what it is at currently. Probably fell below that, reviewers are so out of touch.

avin

Ok, I've played this now. Not that much, compared to some of you. It's a disappointment in places, I see where the 7/10 scores come from. The interface is a pain in the neck, the load screens are tiresome. I dropped this about 15 hours in, I thought for good. I have better things to do, right? But it seems I don't, it's pulled me back in. I may move to PC, see what a handful of mods can do for the experience. Fucking Bethesda.

Any single number misses more than it gets correct. For this game, a single score is inadequate. The spread in scores might be more interesting than the average score itself.

avin

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Flying around the world trying to convince government bodies and being in court hearings for the past 1.5 year would be super stressful. He is also responsible for 10s of billions given to him by the parent company so that would be another extra weight on him, aside the usual CEO baggage.

Now that I think about it, I don't remember noticing him looking so worn until several months after the ABK acquisition process began. Lots of sleepless nights I bet.

Hugare

It's a BGS game, you either love them or hate them. As far as the forum goes, it's GAF, and it's an Xbox first party title, so there you go.

I picked 85-90 for the meta, idk what it is at currently. Probably fell below that, reviewers are so out of touch.
You cant simply call it "a BGS game" as if it was identical to past Bethesda titles.

I loved Fallout 3 and Skyrim, but I dont like Starfield. Exploration is not the same as those games. And exploration is a huge part of those games.

This is a point that many reviewers pointed out. So its not a garantee that you'll enjoy it if you have enjoyed past BGS games.

gow3isben

Locked In
  • Zelda Tears of The Kingdom
  • Baldur's Gate 3
  • Resident Evil 4 remake (If no remake bias here)
Reviewed higher than Starfield
  • Diablo 4
  • Street Fighter 6
  • Pikmin 4
  • Sea of Stars
  • Hi Fi Rush
  • Final Fantasy 16
Still to come
  • Alan Wake 2
  • Super Mario Bros. Wonder
  • Spider Man 2
  • Forza Motorsport
  • Assassin's Creed Mirage
In insolation the reviews for Starfield are good but when you look around they are lagging behind peers.

For Game Awards FF16 and Spiderman 2 will likely be 4 and 5.

The final spot will be between Street Fighter 6, Starfield and Jedi Survivor.

It should be Jedi Survivor. It is my GOTY so far. Starfield's chances are the lowest among these 3.

But we will see.

Last edited:
You cant simply call it "a BGS game" as if it was identical to past Bethesda titles.

I loved Fallout 3 and Skyrim, but I dont like Starfield. Exploration is not the same as those games. And exploration is a huge part of those games.

This is a point that many reviewers pointed out. So its not a garantee that you'll enjoy it if you have enjoyed past BGS games.
I’m confused are you saying exploring or features? last time I check traveling and exploring is the same in starfield that it has been in the previous Bethesda games you get your good sceneries until you hit the town or city and occasionally get the same dungeons (same same but different aye?) now if you said features I can agree with you starfield deff is lacking some features that I personally loved in the previous games but all in all every Bethesda game from Skyrim, oblivion and fallout felt like cozy games to me and this game feels the same way

Side note

I think everyone should replay the old Bethesda games because I think some people memory might be fuzzy lol now I will say this people are comparing starfield with games like oblivion, Skyrim, fallout 3 and new Vegas without realizing that these worlds were already fleshed out prior to their release you the gamer had a fundamental on the world and story and seeing it expanded was such a wonderful thing the music, storytelling were amazing but again already fleshed out then you look at starfield the first iteration of the game and story ofc you won’t feel as deeply about it rn and that’s my main gripe with the game the story I find myself preferring the side quest more then The main story

Thirty7ven

Banned
I have the PS5 and the Switch also. My previous game to Starfield has been Final Fantasy XVI. I'm so tired of trolls.

You are trying to fight generalized opinions with personal opinions while at the same time ignoring all the context around why it’s considered a disappointment for many.

It’s like eating at a 3* rated restaurant with your friends, loving it, and say people who gave it a lower rating than you are trolls.

Guess what, every game is loved by someone. Even the games you think are trash.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You are trying to fight generalized opinions with personal opinions while at the same time ignoring all the context around why it’s considered a disappointment for many.

It’s like eating at a 3* rated restaurant with your friends, loving it, and say people who gave it a lower rating than you are trolls.

Guess what, every game is loved by someone. Even the games you think are trash.

To be fair, he was calling that one guy who replied to him a troll. And while the game may be a disappointment for many, it has also been well received by many. We've had plenty of people in this thread say they can't understand those who are enjoying the game. One guy called it "baffling". So that works both ways.

Hugare

I’m confused are you saying exploring or features? last time I check traveling and exploring is the same in starfield that it has been in the previous Bethesda games you get your good sceneries until you hit the town or city and occasionally get the same dungeons (same same but different aye?) now if you said features I can agree with you starfield deff is lacking some features that I personally loved in the previous games but all in all every Bethesda game from Skyrim, oblivion and fallout felt like cozy games to me and this game feels the same way

Side note

I think everyone should replay the old Bethesda games because I think some people memory might be fuzzy lol now I will say this people are comparing starfield with games like oblivion, Skyrim, fallout 3 and new Vegas without realizing that these worlds were already fleshed out prior to their release you the gamer had a fundamental on the world and story and seeing it expanded was such a wonderful thing the music, storytelling were amazing but again already fleshed out then you look at starfield the first iteration of the game and story ofc you won’t feel as deeply about it rn and that’s my main gripe with the game the story I find myself preferring the side quest more then The main story
No, its not the same.

You dont have to fast travel between locations in Skyrim or Fallout unless you want to.

"But in Starfield you can choose to not use fast travel". Sure, then I'll have to experience 5 loading screens instead. Great.

This quote from Eurogamer review explains it perfectly (its a long one, but really good point)

The great Bethesda RPGs are about exploration and discovery. It's the indescribable webbing of their games that brings the physics and the factions and the playgrounds together and enables them to work as one - the grey matter, the quantum entanglement, the heavy whisking that binds essential elements to form a kind of cosmic emulsion. Maybe that doesn't work. Put it another way: play Skyrim for a while and you'll realise you are really only ever in two modes - doing, or roaming. "Doing" generally applies to ticking things off. So in Skyrim's case: "today I want to power through this Stormcloak questline to get that off my slate," you might say to yourself. "Now I'm going to bash out a few Dwemer ruins and run the loop of looting metal, smelting it, and crafting armour, just to get myself up to the level of making my own Dragonbone gear, then I can start on the DLC." Starfield has loads of doing.

"Roaming" is the opposite of that - or maybe the absence of it - and also certainly all the moments in-between. It's Bethesda's most fertile ground, where it plants memories that, for one reason or another, just seem to stick. The long hike through snowy peaks between Dawnstar and Winterhold, where the wind lifts just in time with the mournful choirs of the score; the time a giant smacks a bandit and breaks the physics a little, sending him a mile or two up into the air. The temptation, from a symbol just at the edge of your compass, poking out of peripheral vision, of a Daedric shrine along a winding commute - or the opposite, the looming, intimidating dread of what you know will be a massive dungeon. It goes beyond the "see that mountain over there" quotes - and the astonishment of when you realise you really can walk all the way there, uninterrupted, for the first time. It's the stillness, the wind between the trees, the mixture of tasks and freedom, action and inaction, space and negative space, that does just as much to give a Bethesda world its still unmatched sense of life as the studio's astonishing clockwork engineering of people and planets in motion.

Starfield doesn't have it. It doesn't have surprises along the road, memories of journeys and distractions, a sense of artfully-engineered, perfectly positioned distraction and discovery, like each shrine was hand-placed by Video Game God, because it is both entirely disconnected and, frequently when you do roam about on a planet surface, procedurally generated. In Starfield the planets aren't entire regions, they're fixed cities with random land around them. You can't be lured off the road, or simply on the road to drink in the world, because there is quite literally no road to be lured away from. There's no route from one planet or system to the next. In Starfield, instead, you fast travel everywhere

Topher

Gold Member
No, its not the same.

You dont have to fast travel between locations in Skyrim or Fallout unless you want to.

"But in Starfield you can choose to not use fast travel". Sure, then I'll have to experience 5 loading screens instead. Great.

This quote from Eurogamer review explains it perfectly (its a long one, but really good point)

Eurogamer is not wrong here. I can think of two other space games that I love, Everspace 2 and Rebel Galaxy, where you have super cruise between systems or planets and things will pop up along the way. A distress call or a mysterious signal or something. Missed opportunity for Starfield not to have included that entire traversal mechanic that would have brought in these "surprises along the road" that Eurogamer is talking about.

BbMajor7th

In what way? They're reviewing the game in the context of 2023 and pointing to areas where it falls below expectations and to how much Bethesda's model is starting to show its age. And this follows precedent: Fallout 4 and 76 both came in for criticism for similar reasons. Surely it'd be more out of touch to review the game in a vacuum as though nothing in the industry has changed. We live in a world where indie developers have procedurally generated entire galaxies, where open worlds several times the size of Skyrim can be explored end-to-end without a single loading screen, where the top-down, turn-based CRPG style that Bethesda jettisoned when they took over Fallout is a GOTY front-runner. I really don't think it's the reviewers that are out of touch here.
Eurogamer is not wrong here. I can think of two other space games that I love, Everspace 2 and Rebel Galaxy, where you have super cruise between systems or planets and things will pop up along the way. A distress call or a mysterious signal or something. Missed opportunity for Starfield not to have included that entire traversal mechanic that would have brought in these "surprises along the road" that Eurogamer is talking about.
First Rebel Galaxy was a real banger. I always meant to check out the second one but never got around to it - I wonder if it's as good.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
To be fair, he was calling that one guy who replied to him a troll. And while the game may be a disappointment for many, it has also been well received by many. We've had plenty of people in this thread say they can't understand those who are enjoying the game. One guy called it "baffling". So that works both ways.
I think we're just seeing a very divisive game here. There are a lot of 10s and some very low scores too. And before people here start telling me the perfect scores are due to Xbox only sites, I just did the research. On Metacritic, only 1 of the 16 perfect review scores is from an Xbox site. On Opencritic, not a single Xbox site gave the game a perfect score (I counted 23 perfect scores). Maybe I missed something with the way both sites sort things.

Last edited:
No, its not the same.

That’s literally a feature you’re talking about instead of one big map you have multiple iterations of a map they chose to go a different route but I would like to know what exploration did you do in the older titles besides walk see the scenery maybe see some bandits at a campfire or loot an Abandoned village or hit the same dungeons until you hit the major city or town? 😂 honestly trying to find out what your complaining about I’m confused all of that is in starfield like I said your complaining about the features not the exploration

Topher

Gold Member
First Rebel Galaxy was a real banger. I always meant to check out the second one but never got around to it - I wonder if it's as good.

Yeah man, loved the first one. RG Outlaw wasn't as much fun to me. It tried to go the dogfight route rather than the big capital ships and did that ok, but I enjoyed Rebel Galaxy because it felt a bit like AC 4: Black Flag in space. It was fun building up this massive ship decked out with all sorts of weapons. It was a really well thought out action space game. Cruising around the galaxy was so immersive. Miss that in Starfield.

BbMajor7th

Yeah man, loved the first one. RG Outlaw wasn't as much fun to me. It tried to go the dogfight route rather than the big capital ships and did that ok, but I enjoyed Rebel Galaxy because it felt a bit like AC 4: Black Flag in space. It was fun building up this massive ship decked out with all sorts of weapons. It was a really well thought out action space game. Cruising around the galaxy was so immersive. Miss that in Starfield.
Yeah, I remember the broadside combat fondly - thought it did a lot of things better than No Man's Sky too. Love the Blue Saraceno soundtrack.

Last edited:

Hugare

That’s literally a feature you’re talking about instead of one big map you have multiple iterations of a map they chose to go a different route but I would like to know what exploration did you do in the older titles besides walk see the scenery maybe see some bandits at a campfire or loot an Abandoned village or hit the same dungeons until you hit the major city or town? 😂 honestly trying to find out what your complaining about I’m confused all of that is in starfield like I said your complaining about the features not the exploration

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

If you cant understand my point (and Eurogamer's) even after that quote, I dont know what to say. I dont have any drawings to help you.

So if you enjoy the game for what it is, you do you

thief183

I'm having a blast... but I got to admit it took too long to catch me, I also realised it clicked with me when I reached neon city. That city is awesome (even though is not really big).

I can understand the criticism for the game and bare in mind that I'm using StarUI and the speedup menus, but it has been a while since I felt so immersed in a game. .

Of all the critics made to the game the only compelling one is the lack of consequences of some action all the rest are bs.

It is not a 10 game but not even an 8. It gets a 9 by me.

Crayon

There is no way they leave it out of the nomination for goty because they are going to want an xb/ps horse race up there.

LordOfChaos

Honestly I'm feeling this. If there weren't so many loading pauses (was it even built with awareness of the Xbox's SSDs?) it might not be so bad. But every door you open, every elevator, every train, every time you enter and exit your ship...It feels like a throwback to a Skyrim era game, and if that was the same I may not have felt a problem with it then but it feels like a third of what I'm doing is loading in this.

I was really hyped for this. I hope patches fix it up but thus far I'm not feeling the hook.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
I'm having a blast... but I got to admit it took too long to catch me, I also realised it clicked with me when I reached neon city. That city is awesome (even though is not really big).

I can understand the criticism for the game and bare in mind that I'm using StarUI and the speedup menus, but it has been a while since I felt so immersed in a game. .

Of all the critics made to the game the only compelling one is the lack of consequences of some action all the rest are bs.

It is not a 10 game but not even an 8. It gets a 9 by me.
I think Matty said it best. This is a game driven by questing rather than exploration. That's not to say there isn't exploration, but it's the questing that drives the game, and your opinion of the game will depend on how accepting of that you are and how much you enjoy that kind of gameplay.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Honestly I'm feeling this. If there weren't so many loading pauses (was it even built with awareness of the Xbox's SSDs?) it might not be so bad. But every door you open, every elevator, every train, every time you enter and exit your ship...It feels like a throwback to a Skyrim era game, and if that was the same I may not have felt a problem with it then but it feels like a third of what I'm doing is loading in this.

I was really hyped for this. I hope patches fix it up but thus far I'm not feeling the hook.
This comes down to a design issue probably relating to the Creation Engine. Maybe in 5 years those loads will feel a lot shorter and that will improve things, but it's not going to be patched out.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Is it confirmed he wasn't (real question)? He could easily be playing an early prototype or proof of concept type thing that just looked like a bunch of grey polygons.
I dunno mate, seems like it was far too early to even release a photo like this regardless. This was taken in Jan 2020 I believe,

Top Bottom