• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

GHG

Are you comparing a game without a dedicated CK?
I mean, dude.

I dont doubt the numbers can be lower even with the release of the CK, but without it, you're just being disgenous.

While I consider Starfield as a flop, this is not a fair metric as Starfield doesn't yet have official mod tools so community still has a very limited capabilities for modding this game. But yeah, popularity of it probably won't be as high as with other games

The CK only makes a different for people making overhaul mods for the game (Enderal, Fallout London, etc), and for people who want to convert their mods and make them compatible with the console versions of the game.

But apart from that, there are no restrictions or limiting factors in terms of the mods that can be made for the game, and there hasn't been since the plugins have been made available (such as SF1Edit and SFSE).

The reality is that there's just less interest in modding the game than there has been for previous Bethesda releases.

Last edited:

Thief1987

”another box that looks the same”
stsfpHj.jpeg

VfCVFSx.jpeg

W6UXYmO.jpeg

IcjgxI8.jpeg

rivI6xt.jpeg

z9Nhqzi.jpeg

ExGOhVs.jpeg

CT8fMXg.jpeg

TC81EFc.jpeg
Well, all your screenshots look the same, so...

Fredrik

Still waiting on 60fps for Xbox. Even bought the early access smh
Play it on PC, looks and run and plays great and you can mod some eye-candy into a seemingly Sweet Baby Inc corrupted game world.
I skipped Xbox and jumped in right away on the early access Steam release. All the betas come first on Steam as well. Hoping for something new soon, last update was over a month ago. The mod tool update was said to arrive early 2024 so they’re behind the schedule.

killatopak

The reality is that there's just less interest in modding the game than there has been for previous Bethesda releases.
Isn’t this normal and kinda expected now? Minor updates completely break modern Bethesda games, I’m sure there are those that are waiting for the complete release of at least all major DLCs to come out first.

Lots of stuff needs the CK iirc. Like porting CBBE, UNP or Type bodies along with armor and clothing replacers for them. Some overhauls like city and location overhauls similar to JK’s Winterhold for example. Animation replacers as well for those spicy mods.

Current tools can do much but it can be more with CK.

Naked Lunch

I could care less about Starfield - I haven't played it and never will -
- but you could make this exact thread title for most games of today:
"-insert any game here-" has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

Dazraell

The CK only makes a different for people making overhaul mods for the game (Enderal, Fallout London, etc), and for people who want to convert their mods and make them compatible with the console versions of the game.

But apart from that, there are no restrictions or limiting factors in terms of the mods that can be made for the game, and there hasn't been since the plugins have been made available (such as SF1Edit and SFSE).

I disagree. Modding is still limited by boundries of these temporary workarounds. If you will look at the top mods on Starfield Nexus, all you will see is stuff that are tools, small QoL life fixes, cosmetic additions, stuff ported from Fallout 4 and little things injected to the game. I'm not saying they are not making difference as they're, but it's relatively small fracture of what's possible for past games - and I'm not referring to total conversions like Enderal or Fallout London

Only after release of CK people will be able to introduce stuff like expanding planets with actual content, reducing numbers of loading screens by reworking locations and game's systems, creating new landscapes and filling curent ones with new places to explore, making space travel more exciting and interesting, creating proper story mods that can add more life to the game, etc. I can guarantee you there are people who are already excited about doing this type of stuff for the game. And bear in mind I say that as someone who disliked Starfield and doesn't have too many good things to say about it

Last edited:

GHG

Isn’t this normal and kinda expected now? Minor updates completely break modern Bethesda games, I’m sure there are those that are waiting for the complete release of at least all major DLCs to come out first.

Lots of stuff needs the CK iirc. Like porting CBBE, UNP or Type bodies along with armor and clothing replacers for them. Some overhauls like city and location overhauls similar to JK’s Winterhold for example. Animation replacers as well for those spicy mods.

Current tools can do much but it can be more with CK.

Incorrect. Stuff like CBBE/body types, etc is meshes and can be done without the CK. City/model/texture/etc overhauls can be done as long as the folder structure is respected. Many of the overhauls for Skyrim and fallout 4 came about before the release of the CK. Same goes for animations.

The fallout 4 version of CBBE released in 2015 but the creation kit didn't release until 2016.

They also haven't been releasing patches at a regular clip, so it's not really a factor.

You can go back and see what mods were released prior to the CK being released for both Fallout 4 and Skyrim vs what is available for Skyrim now and it's night and day. Like I said, the appetite simply isn't there and the player count has fallen off a cliff.

I disagree. Modding is still limited by boundries of these temporary workarounds. If you will look at the top mods on Starfield Nexus, all you will see is stuff that are tools, small QoL life fixes, cosmetic additions, stuff ported from Fallout 4 and little things injected to the game. I'm not saying they are not making difference as they're, but it's relatively small fracture of what's possible for past games - and I'm not referring to total conversions like Enderal or Fallout London

Only after release of CK people will be able to introduce stuff like expanding planets with actual content, reducing numbers of loading screens by reworking locations and game's systems, creating new landscapes and filling curent ones with new places to explore, making space travel more exciting and interesting, creating proper story mods that can add more life to the game, etc. I can guarantee you there are people who are already excited about doing this type of stuff for the game. And bear in mind I say that as someone who disliked Starfield and doesn't have too many good things to say about it

See my reply above. It's not a matter of agreeing or disagreeing. You're free to come back and revisit this discussion after the CK gets released.

Last edited:

killatopak

Incorrect. Stuff like CBBE/body types, etc is meshes and can be done without the CK. City overhauls can be done as long as the folder structure is respected. Same goes for animations.
I stand corrected. I swear I saw someone said specifically porting is the issue not making them from the ground up for Starfield.

In any case, CK would still be a welcome edition.

edit: did some searching and apparently SF still doesn’t have mesh tools like Bodyslide and nifscope. It’s not CK they need but mesh tools. It seems that you can only replace meshes but can’t add more to SF? I’m definitely out of depth regarding SF modding scene. Apologies if I’m wrong.

Last edited:

GHG

I stand corrected. I swear I saw someone said specifically porting is the issue not making them from the ground up for Starfield.

In any case, CK would still be a welcome edition.

edit: did some searching and apparently SF still doesn’t have mesh tools like Bodyslide and nifscope. It’s not CK they need but mesh tools. It seems that you can only replace meshes but can’t add more to SF? I’m definitely out of depth regarding SF modding scene. Apologies if I’m wrong.

The underlying issue is that many of the big name mod and mod tools creators have said they are not going to bother with Starfield for various reasons. The way some things have been done and formats have changed from the previous games so it will require the modders to put in a decent amount of work to get things going. CK or no CK, without those guys (or a new crop of people popping up who are willing to take on the work) we're not going to see the extent of the mods that we saw for the previous Fallouts and TES games.

Last edited:

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I could care less about Starfield - I haven't played it and never will -
- but you could make this exact thread title for most games of today:
"-insert any game here-" has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

If you could care less, then why won’t you inevitably play it?

It was a good game, but one play-through is enough for most people. It’s the kind of game that could use a next-gen version ala Witcher 3, for those that have not played it yet.

I don’t ever revisit old games and don’t know many people that do, either.

Top Bottom