• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

KungFucius

King Snowflake
Going after Death Stranding is amusing too. That one has nearly universal acclaim despite being probably the strangest AAA game ever made (so far, because Kojima ain't done making games yet).
What? It has no such thing. Many people hated the gameplay in DS. I did. Walking up a hill trying to balance packages was pretty awful. The inventory management was like making a spreadsheet from scratch to do mundane calculations. It was more like work than play and it sucked for me so bad that I couldn't get past chapter 4. And I was/am a big Metal Gear fan and enjoy the weird stories and cinematics.

Fredrik

What? It has no such thing. Many people hated the gameplay in DS. I did. Walking up a hill trying to balance packages was pretty awful. The inventory management was like making a spreadsheet from scratch to do mundane calculations. It was more like work than play and it sucked for me so bad that I couldn't get past chapter 4. And I was/am a big Metal Gear fan and enjoy the weird stories and cinematics.
Seemed like Mudrunners on foot, not a bad idea per say, I like Mudrunners. But in the end I’d rather drive an offroad vehicle and the movie focus is just not my thing, so I skipped it. Watched the story cut together into a movie on Youtube instead. Classic Kojima strangeness.
Some day I’ll try it, might be the next step in RPG inventory system, it’s about time that someone reinvent the wheel there. What we have now when we can carry 10 swords and 5 shields and 30 sacks of potatoes in our back pocket makes no sense lol

nowhat

But in the end I’d rather drive an offroad vehicle and the movie focus is just not my thing, so I skipped it.
I'm not certainly forcing anyone to play a game, but there are plenty of vehicles if you're so inclined. Even without constructing the highways (which you should partake in though, the "asynchronous multiplayer" aspect is quite ingenious IMHO) you can get around quite well especially on a trike.

GHG

Seemed like Mudrunners on foot, not a bad idea per say, I like Mudrunners. But in the end I’d rather drive an offroad vehicle and the movie focus is just not my thing, so I skipped it. Watched the story cut together into a movie on Youtube instead. Classic Kojima strangeness.
Some day I’ll try it, might be the next step in RPG inventory system, it’s about time that someone reinvent the wheel there. What we have now when we can carry 10 swords and 5 shields and 30 sacks of potatoes in our back pocket makes no sense lol

Ladies and gentlemen, the Starfield defender.

So ironic it hurts.

Last edited:

knguyen

I really don't understand why people got mad and defended Starfield when a lot of criticism are legit. It's obvious that the game you bought and the game Bethesda manipulated you into visualising what it would be are two different games. They did everything they could in many very unethical ways to maximum sale and gamepass subs and unfortunately, many people failed for it. Dont be surprised if the same tactic will be used for their next game, unless some big changes happen to the top.

Gudji

This is the truth. Xbox games have 50 percent slower SSD after all.
Imagine if they didn't have xbox velocity architecture.

Stop It Christmas Vacation GIF

Last edited:

avin

There's lots of reasons to be critical of Starfield, but it's still my personal GOTY. What makes it special for me is the ability for long-term planning and thinking, within the universe they created, and with the interconnected mechanisms they devised, many of which I still have to check out and better understand.

That's also where it ultimately fails, because there's no real need in this game for long-term planning. I think their point is if you want to play it that way, you can, but you don't have to. Still, they needed a real hardcore mode. I expect that's coming, but I think it was a mistake not to include it with the initial release, or at least very soon after.

avin

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ladies and gentlemen, the Starfield defender.

So ironic it hurts.

It ain’t really. The lack of vehicles for traveling has been widely criticized, even by fans of the game. So much so that Bethesda hinted that it would be addressed.

GHG

You should stop trolling and start reading what has been said so many times in the Starfield OT if you think you have some sad gotcha going there.

You should try being familiar with the game you're attempting to criticise before doing so. There comes a point in the game where there's no reason to walk anywhere, and it happens quite early on.

The "trolling" starts when you try and be critical of other games in the context of where Starfield has landed in all of this, but in a way that comes across as insincere/disingenuous. But that's par for the course isn't it?

I haven't read all the back and forth but I don't mind people defending a game they enjoy no matter how many people don't

Hell I loved ARK Survival Evolved to the tune of over 600 hours played and many people hated it and I defended ARK

Big deal

I'll say this - people should be able to defend the game without needing to try and drag highly acclaimed games from the last ~decade (and incorrectly mind you).

If it's not possible to do so then maybe people should be questioning what exactly they are attempting to defend and why they are doing so.

It ain’t really. The lack of vehicles for traveling has been widely criticized, even by fans of the game. So much so that Bethesda hinted that it would be addressed.

That's the point. One of those games has land vehicles to aid traversal, the other doesn't.

Which is why people attempting to slander other games in some vain attempt to prop up/defefend Starfield.

Says the guy with a florian mueller avatar. You need to get it over it.

When you lack context but try your best.

Fail Patrick Star GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

To be honest, that still happens even when you do have context.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You should try being familiar with the game you're attempting to criticise before doing so. There comes a point in the game where there's no reason to walk anywhere, and it happens quite early on.

The "trolling" starts when you try and be critical of other games in the context of where Starfield has landed in all of this, but in a way that comes across as insincere/disingenuous. But that's par for the course isn't it?

I'll say this - people should be able to defend the game without needing to try and drag highly acclaimed games from the last ~decade (and incorrectly mind you).

If it's not possible to do so then maybe people should be questioning what exactly they are attempting to defend and why they are doing so.

That's the point. One of those games has land vehicles to aid traversal, the other doesn't.

Which is why people attempting to slander other games in some vain attempt to prop up/defefend Starfield.

Where did Fredrik Fredrik slander Death Stranding?

GHG

Where did Fredrik Fredrik slander Death Stranding?

Apparently we are supposed to believe Starfield is the most divisive game since Death Stranding. Based on how the two games have been received by the people who have purchased and played the respective games, that wasn't true for the original version:

qdO4ky2.jpg

And it certainly isn't true for the directors cut:

Fz99WLu.jpg

Then there's the little fact that there are vehicles in Death Stranding, but hey, let's just wing it and say you'd "rather drive off-road vehicles" and chalk up the games structure as not being "your thing" despite the fact that you've failed to grasp what it even is.

I could do the same for the nonsense that's been said about RDR2 and BG3 in this thread over the last couple of pages, and I don't even like RDR2. People are just lying to themselves at this point.

Like I said, if people want to defend Starfield, go ahead (and good luck). Bringing other games into the equation though, especially when not being done in a factual or sincere manner, that's a fools errand.

Last edited:

graywolf323

Starfield really messing with a lot of people, can't stay away from these threads and hating people are actually enjoying it
Going to ask an honest question for the insight

What does it matter in the long run?
I mean the same can be said in reverse can’t it? there’s certain users on here that can’t seem to stand that people don’t like Starfield as much as they think they should 🤷🏼‍♂️

GHG

Going to ask an honest question for the insight

What does it matter in the long run?

It doesn't (the Steam reviews will continue to do their thing), but if people want to talk nonsense then they should at least be able to stand up for themselves when they are called out (and/or if jokes are made at the expense of what they've said), instead of leaping to calling other people "trolls" etc.

There's a discussion to be had here (more so than most games in fact given the final product vs the hype/marketing/budget/time it received), but that's pretty difficult when people insist on being disingenuous with their assertions, especially so when it involves games that have been received better than Starfield.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I mean the same can be said in reverse can’t it? there’s certain users on here that can’t seem to stand that people don’t like Starfield as much as they think they should 🤷🏼‍♂️
Most likely and I don't get that crowd either

I guess I am just funny in a way if I don't really care for a game I am not in those threads/Reddits telling people why all the time

Topher

Gold Member
Apparently we are supposed to believe Starfield is the most divisive game since Death Stranding. Based on how the two games have been received by the people who have purchased and played the respective games, that wasn't true for the original version:

qdO4ky2.jpg

And it certainly isn't true for the directors cut:

Fz99WLu.jpg

Then there's the little fact that there are vehicles in Death Stranding, but hey, let's just wing it and say you'd "rather drive off-road vehicles" and chalk up the games structure as not being "your thing" despite the fact that you've failed to grasp what it even is.

I could do the same for the nonsense that's been said about RDR2 and BG3 in this thread over the last couple of pages, and I don't even like RDR2. People are just lying to themselves at this point.

Like I said, if people want to defend Starfield, go ahead (and good luck). Bringing other games into the equation though, especially when not being done in a factual or sincere manner, that's a fools errand.

The game was well-received on PC, but when Death Stranding released on PS4 it had a metacritic of 82 and scores as low as 40, tons of scores in the 60s/70s as well quite a few in the 90s. That's the definition of "divisive" in my book and that is exactly how I took what he was saying. Not the first time a console game did better/worse when moving to PC.

If Fred had defended the lack of vehicles in Starfield then you would have a point, but he didn't do that. That DS wasn't his "thing" ain't worth getting up in arms about. I played DS for a number of hours and it wasn't my thing either.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The game was well-received on PC, but when Death Stranding released on PS4 it had a metacritic of 82 and scores as low as 40, tons of scores in the 60s/70s as well quite a few in the 90s. That's the definition of "divisive" in my book and that is exactly how I took what he was saying. Not the first time a console game did better/worse when moving to PC.

If Fred had defended the lack of vehicles in Starfield then you would have a point, but he didn't do that. That DS wasn't his "thing" ain't worth getting up in arms about. I played DS for a number of hours and it wasn't my thing either.

Almost all big exclusive games get review-bombed by users on Metacritic. That is no gauge to measure games.

GHG

This is a topic about the Steam review score is it not? You're now trying to make excuses for him when the review scores on Steam have always been the context for the vast majority of discussion in this thread. He was even responding to someone else discussing the status of the game on Steam when stating what he did.

You might see it as people "getting up in arms" about these recent mentions of BG3, RDR2 and DS, but the reality is that it's just laughable, hence my original reply to him was curt.

Last edited:

EDMIX

. It's obvious that the game you bought and the game Bethesda manipulated you into visualising what it would be are two different games
? Well...I bought the game day 1, nothing from what I'm playing is that different then what was shown in the trailer and gameplay walkthrough

In fact, list the differences of this "different game" that you are talking about in the first place.

Nothing in their marketing is just making up a bunch of different shit that isn't in the final game in regards to factual objective features.

Sorry man, you have to fucking prove your point here.
They did everything they could in many very unethical ways to maximum sale

Like what?

What ways specifically, with links and proof. =)

Shit, I feel the game is a 7/10 game, I even stated before the games release that knowing how the studio works, not only is this feasible and doable, but nothing really Earth shattering, its not even revolunary or that brand new in regards to any new concepts or features, but I'm fully ok with that as its not as if they've ever claimed it was suppose to be by lying about a bunch of features or something.

Topher

Gold Member
This is a topic about the Steam review score is it not? You're now trying to make excuses for him when the review scores on Steam have always been the context for the vast majority of discussion in this thread. He was even responding to someone else discussing the status of the game on Steam when stating what he did.

You might see it as people "getting up in arms" about these recent mentions of BG3, RDR2 and DS, but the reality is it's just laughable.

Nah....he was making a general comparison to other "divisive" games, not just on Steam.

"It’s a divisive game. Possibly the most divisive since Death Stranding. Cyberpunk was similar but that was broken on console which added to the negativity, on PC is was great, my GOTY."

That's controversial? Really?

Fredrik

I’ve seen a bike, are there more vehicles? I think I have it installed through some subscription service, the movie focus is pushing me away though but I’ll see if I get the time to try it, still have 2 weeks off from work.

And you should go read the Starfield OT. We’ve talked about lots of things, positives and negatives, and land vehicles has been one of my most wanted features, plus less boring character design. It’s constructive criticism, not trolling. And in the post you used to mock me I said I didn’t think what they did in Death Stranding was a bad idea and said that current inventory systems in RPGs makes no sense and it’s about time it gets reinvented.

🤷‍♂️

Chill. It’s Christmas. The things most here complain about I’ve complained about as well, in the OT. The writing, the design, the overencumbered slow walks back to the ship, the fast traveling, etc. Constructive criticism.

And I still like it. Warts and all. Big deal. I liked No Man’s Sky too. And Cyberpunk was my GOTY when people hated on that.
I could specify exactly what I like in Starfield, but why bother, I’ll rather play it and I’ve just installed it on Steam Deck so I’m currently trying to understand how to get mods on it now.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nah....he was making a general comparison to other "divisive" games, not just on Steam.

"It’s a divisive game. Possibly the most divisive since Death Stranding. Cyberpunk was similar but that was broken on console which added to the negativity, on PC is was great, my GOTY."

I mean, he was trying to throw condescending shade at BG3 which I called out. BG3 is far from divisive, well they were only divisive to one group due to a boat anchor potato console giving their design fits, which MS quickly changed that parity narrative.

Topher

Gold Member
I mean, he was trying to throw condescending shade at BG3 which I called out. BG3 is far from divisive, well they were only divisive to one group due to a boat anchor potato console giving their design fits, which MS quickly changed that parity narrative.

Ok.....I'll stay out of that rabbit hole. I just jumped in because I knew during the OT discussions just about everyone talked about how the game badly needed vehicles.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ok.....I'll stay out of that rabbit hole. I just jumped in because I knew during the OT discussions just about everyone talked about how the game badly needed vehicles.
I was only speaking on that one instance. Don't have an issue with people defending something they like otherwise. I want a space horse! Or a Falkor! Mods, GET TO IT!

Fredrik

It’s just talk about lip sync. There was talk about animations in Starfield being behind the industry standard and I said they had improved a ton and said the auto lip sync in Starfield was impressive and made even BG3 look bad.

Was I wrong there? Here are quick and dirty mobile videos from Steam Deck. Random store owner versus Wyll. The acting is obviously better in BG3, body movements are included, but I see lots of missing mouth movements.

(beware of spoilers)

Last edited:

Astray

Gold Member
Topher Topher My opinion on this is that people are entitled to like or dislike what they want, but flailing about and negging past games that have no relation to this game is just inexplicable to me except in some weird manipulative sense. It comes off like they're saying "you liked X game in the past, and it was also flawed so why can't you like this one too?".

It's this weird collective insistence that the general public should like the game (or at least not badmouth it) that really puts off people and brings out a stubbornness that worsens the perception of the game even more.

GHG

The only things that Cyberpunk and Starfield share in common are the pre-launch manufactured hype and the critic review process being manipulated for both.

Regardless of whether he liked it or not, the buggy, broken and unfinished mess that Cyberpunk wasn't "divisive" at launch, it was pretty much universally panned by those outside of the press (and the odd CDPR employee that was highing amongst us at the time). I played it on PC at launch, it was shit and CDPR deserved everything they got. The reviews on Steam went as low as 59% in March 2021.

It then took almost 3 years for those scores to recover to where they are now. At least CDPR had the decency to apologise for what they had done at the time and got to work on it, rather than gaslight their customers via the press and Steam reviews.

So none of his comparisons to other games work or stand up to scrutiny. But look on the bright side, if you like Starfield now then you will love it if and when they ever deliver the product that most people were expecting.

It’s just talk about lip sync. There was talk about animations in Starfield being behind the industry standard and I said they had improved a ton and said the auto lip sync in Starfield was impressive and made even BG3 look bad.

Was I wrong there? Here are quick and dirty mobile videos from Steam Deck. Random store owner versus Wyll. The acting is obviously better in BG3, body movements are included, but I see lots of missing mouth movements.

(beware of spoilers)

And here we are with yet more disingenuous comparisons.

Comparing the worst case scenario character animations/mocap in BG3 with the ones that are universal across the whole game in Starfield. All on a Steam Deck.

Bravo.

I’ve seen a bike, are there more vehicles? I think I have it installed through some subscription service, the movie focus is pushing me away though but I’ll see if I get the time to try it, still have 2 weeks off from work.

Yeh, you saw the opening sequence of the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom