• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

AJUMP23

Gold Member
How is their NG+ innovative?

My thoughts: Ending spoilers below.
You don't just start a new game you become one of the starborn and you begin a quest to gain the pieces again but from a different perspective. You also go to various worlds where the people hay be different in the constellation group. It may be just you, or it may be all kids or something. I just haven't seen a game do some simple things to make the next iteration intriguing.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You don't just start a new game you become one of the starborn and you begin a quest to gain the pieces again but from a different perspective. You also go to various worlds where the people hay be different in the constellation group. It may be just you, or it may be all kids or something. I just haven't seen a game do some simple things to make the next iteration intriguing.

Fair enough. I was bummed out that I couldn't bring the ships I created forward so I ended up reverting back to my previous save.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Even Tassi understand's what's happened:

The fact that Bethesda themselves can't even see it is actually worrying.
Trolling is a bs excuse, it takes the spotlight away from games that actuslly deserve it. If you wanted to troll Todd, you'd just not give starfield the award or even any nomination

GHG

Trolling is a bs excuse, it takes the spotlight away from games that actuslly deserve it. If you wanted to troll Todd, you'd just not give starfield the award or even any nomination

The PC gaming community can have a strange sense of humour sometimes.

I'm just salty because I feel that since it got nominated shadows of doubt deserved some recognition.

Topher

Gold Member
Welp.......Starfield is finally getting review bombed....

FOtGG6N.png

That seems to be a reaction to Starfield winning "Most innovative Gameplay".

h2vDC0S.png

Tons more like these

Punished Miku

Gold Member

FOtGG6N.png

h2vDC0S.png

Tons more like these
"Finally." It's been a joke this whole time. The fact that anyone in here was hyping up Steam Reviews as some untouchable bastion of accuracy should be thoroughly embarrassing by this point. We've now seen excessively negative reviews for weeks, far in excess of many worse games. Then the "joke awards" since apparently there's so many trolls voting that they can't even do a basic vote. And now rage against the joke awards. Should be obvious to everyone that it's been pretty unreliable for some time. But it will be entertaining to see what pretzels people twist themselves into to justify it. Hoping we get yet another title update to go along with it. Probably should title update the Steam awards too.

Last edited:

Saber

Gold Member

FOtGG6N.png

h2vDC0S.png

Tons more like these

I can understand the feeling.
Imagine playing and felt like dissapointing that nothing change between those games only for them to receive that tag. People would be like "WHAT???"

Topher

Gold Member
"Finally." It's been a joke this whole time. The fact that anyone in here was hyping up Steam Reviews as some untouchable bastion of accuracy should be thoroughly embarrassing by this point. We've now seen excessively negative reviews for weeks, far in excess of many worse games. Then the "joke awards" since apparently there's so many trolls voting that they can't even do a basic vote. And now rage against the joke awards. Should be obvious to everyone that it's been pretty unreliable for some time. But it will be entertaining to see what pretzels people twist themselves into to justify it. Hoping we get yet another title update to go along with it. Probably should title update the Steam awards too.

"Finally" is accurate as there have been claims of review bombings but no actual evidence of it until now.

I can understand the feeling.
Imagine playing and felt like dissapointing that nothing change between those games only for them to receive that tag. People would be like "WHAT???"

Everyone knows I enjoyed the game, but it isn't innovative. No idea how it won that outside of a bunch of folks being ironic.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
"Finally" is accurate as there have been claims of review bombings but no actual evidence of it until now.
The ridiculously exaggerated negativity was obvious for a while, along with the frequent title updates egging it on for months, like we've never seen for a single other game on here, ever. All that happened is they just dropped the mask and stopped being subtle. It was always obvious, but never worth arguing about. Now it's just so plainly in your face that I couldn't help but laugh.

Just remember who was claiming these were the most accurate, untouchable user reviews ever. That was clearly a lie. Even PS Blog can do a reader poll for awards that isn't over run by trolls.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
The ridiculously exaggerated negativity was obvious for a while, along with the frequent title updates egging it on for months, like we've never seen for a single other game on here, ever. All that happened is they just dropped the mask and stopped being subtle. It was always obvious, but never worth arguing about. Now it's just so plainly in your face that I couldn't help but laugh.

Just remember who was claiming these were the most accurate, untouchable user reviews ever. That was clearly a lie. Even PS Blog can do a reader poll for awards that isn't over run by trolls.

So people actually love the game and are just lying to "punish" Bethesda and MS?

Topher

Gold Member

I have no idea who was claiming Steam user reviews were "the most accurate, untouchable user reviews ever", but that's easy to discard. No user review system is infallible. The fact that Starfield is getting review bombed for winning an award demonstrates that. But let's be real, the damage was already done. Fact of the matter is that every review on Steam is from someone who bought the game. You could probably put a three to four point margin of error in there for the disingenuous, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference. So no, I don't think pointing fingers at Steam reviews makes any sense. I enjoyed the game and so did over 60% of Steam gamers, but there is a massive chunk of gamers who did not. No getting around that. Personally, I was hoping some updates would reverse the trend, but fact of the matter is that Bethesda has been far too slow in implementing fixes/improvements and they have hurt themselves with the way they have chided PC gamers in response to the negative reviews. If anyone deserves the majority blame for the way things turned out for what was supposed to be one of the biggest game releases this generation, it is Bethesda.

Last edited:
So people actually love the game and are just lying to "punish" Bethesda and MS?

I can make a case for it being most innovative game I have played in a long time.

I can make a case for it being work in progress, Bethesda learning/ grasping how to design a game on plethora of planets.

You can go either way with it. Its just a weird situation like that.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
I have no idea who was claiming Steam user reviews were "the most accurate, untouchable user reviews ever", but that's easy to discard. No user review system is infallible. The fact that Starfield is getting review bombed for winning an award demonstrates that. But let's be real, the damage was already done. Fact of the matter is that every review on Steam is from someone who bought the game. You could probably put a three to four point margin of error in there for the disingenuous, but it really doesn't make a lot of difference. So no, I don't think pointing fingers at Steam reviews makes any sense. I enjoyed the game and so did over 60% of Steam gamers, but there is a massive chunk of gamers who did not. No getting around that. Personally, I was hoping some updates would reverse the trend, but fact of the matter is that Bethesda has been far too slow in implementing fixes/improvements and they have hurt themselves with the way they have chided PC gamers in response to the negative reviews. If anyone deserves the majority blame for the way things turned out for what was supposed to be one of the biggest game releases this generation, it is Bethesda.

Perfectly said!

avin

^ Those aren't the same thing. At least, very obviously, one is based on roughly ten times the number of reviews the other is. They're unlikely to reflect a similar phenomenon.

Just pointing it out, in case there's anyone left here with a cold, unslanted, unbroken brain.

avin

Surprised to see it hit 60%, thought it would stay close to 70%.

Does anyone know the general feeling or consensus on Starfield in the PC space game community from the likes of Star Citizen, Eve Online, Elite Dangerous players?

StereoVsn

I think people have come to realize they dont want to explore a whole bunch of planets. They just want one planet excellently crafted with tons of fun content and storylines. This game by its very nature was never going to reach the popularity of Fallout or The Elder Scrolls.
Didn’t need to be a single planet but properly crafted 3-4 planets with true exploration would have been a much better game.

None of that full on copy/paste points with exactly same enemy placements. Or the issue where you can’t run very far from your ship before having to do a hop to generate new points of interest.

None of the would help awful NPC dialogue though.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
^ Those aren't the same thing. At least, very obviously, one is based on roughly ten times the number of reviews the other is. They're unlikely to reflect a similar phenomenon.

Just pointing it out, in case there's anyone left here with a cold, unslanted, unbroken brain.

avin
While I understand your point, when has it ever mattered when comparing review scores for two games?

Just look at the difference in the number of reviews between God of War Ragnarok (150) and games like Starfield (90). Despite the difference in the number of reviews, the scores are compared directly 1:1 anyway.

UrlvTxW.jpg
HMaeOJo.jpg

Both Alan Wake 2 and Spider-Man 2 were nominated for GOTY 2023. But Spider-Man 2 has nearly 2x the number of reviews. There was no weightage assigned to compensate for that.

5i0tD2F.jpg
ct6s8cS.jpg

avin
Do they not teach the law of large numbers in whatever country you are from? There will be no significant statistical difference between such 'large' sample sizes, especially since there can be only two outcomes of a steam review: recommend or not recommend. Will you get a significantly different percentage of heads if you toss a coin 8,000 times versus 140,000 times? The only way your critique makes sense is if the reviews are not fair i.e. you buy into the crazy conspiracy theory that nearly 56,000 gamers paid 70$ just for the pleasure of review bombing Starfield.

Daneel Elijah

Gold Member
Surprised to see it hit 60%, thought it would stay close to 70%.

Does anyone know the general feeling or consensus on Starfield in the PC space game community from the likes of Star Citizen, Eve Online, Elite Dangerous players?
In a sense it is surprising that it is still beyond 50% to me. Regardless of Starfield objective quality as long as more new buyers are unhappy with the game than happy (and the unhappy ones have more reasons to go put a rewiew on Steam than the opposite) the score will continue to go lower. I think that most of Bethesda fans got the game day one and the rest just needed something more I don't know, modern?Like Cyberpunk got some critics because it was not closer to GTA? I don't really follow space games, but right now Starfield is not in a good place in forums and online talks I think. I sometimes look at Reddit and in the Starfield subreddit they are not that happy about the state of the game. This thread should give you some idea of it by the way.

Fredrik

Didn’t need to be a single planet but properly crafted 3-4 planets with true exploration would have been a much better game.

None of that full on copy/paste points with exactly same enemy placements. Or the issue where you can’t run very far from your ship before having to do a hop to generate new points of interest.

None of the would help awful NPC dialogue though.
As an actual fan I’d say I wouldn’t like it, going to different planets is part of the appeal for me, with 3-4 planets it would be more like The Outer Worlds and I would’ve just gone through the main story and dropped it.

The nearly 300 hours of playtime for me comes from how it’s like No Man’s Sky, not like Mass Effect. I have over 500 hours logged on NMS but I haven’t started it once since Starfield dropped. Starfield took over completely for me. It’s not better at everything but it’s better at some key areas and I’d rather follow the evolution on Starfield through mods and updates than go back NMS at this point. The combat and weapons and just everything about the action in Starfield is like 10,000 times better, on-foot, zero g, space. The crafting and base building is not as advanced and flexible but I really like connecting multiple bases with cargo transports and doing robot defence setups and looting for research is better than going through repetitive crew missions, and your crew ”live” on your base and it’s just better in every aspect when it comes to clutter and interactivity and role playing as a space settler with quests and story etc.

It’s not complete though so for NMS fans it’ll be a half-full or half-empty glass scenario depending on what type of person you are. You can either be negative for what you’re not getting or positive about what you got and excited about what could come.

What I miss is a cargo vehicle, or maybe remote cargo pickups. I hate slow overencumberance walks. And I want hover bikes, preferrably with vehicle combat against pirates. Would be cool and faster on-planet traversal is a must. Not a fan of fast-travel so that’s not a solution. And I want more control of green house work. Growing specific plants and perfect the output to craft specific things is fun in NMS, it’s very undercooked in Starfield. And in general I miss the freighter too from NMS. I always enjoy walking about in a huge ship, missed opportunity to not get to own one, you’re always a guest.

I think the real low point is the character design. I don’t understand why they seem to deliberately make NPCs look ugly. They aren’t procedurally created, same ugly people can pop up at the same place, someone has literally modelled them. Meanwhile they also have nice looking people in quests. I don’t understand that. Why deliberately make characters ugly? And as a nordic person I feel extremely underrepresented, I guess I need to read up on the lore and see if there has been a holocaust, something is definitely fishy in this universe.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Huh, I’ve been super-disappointed by the ending, played maybe 3 hours on NG+ and then started over fresh instead and swore to never step over the finish line again
…until they let me keep my creations.
What you say makes me want to make a new character and go for a NG+ marathon.
How repetitive does it get? I assume you can skip the factions. How fast can you do a NG+ run?

Maybe it’s time to roleplay as some kind of power hungry space Highlander?
I’m feeling the excitement bubble up here. There can be only one!

Last edited:

avin

There will be no significant statistical difference between such 'large' sample sizes, especially since there can be only two outcomes of a steam review: recommend or not recommend. Will you get a significantly different percentage of heads if you toss a coin 8,000 times versus 140,000 times? The only way your critique makes sense is if the reviews are not fair i.e. you buy into the crazy conspiracy theory that nearly 56,000 gamers paid 70$ just for the pleasure of review bombing Starfield.

Oh, the number itself is comparable, and the satisfaction of the people that try it is comparable, I agree. But very likely, they aren't the same sample, because the same people aren't buying these games with the same expectations. That seems likely given the disparity in numbers. For example, it's possible that the many fewer people that buy Forspoken already like that sort of game, whereas Bethesda and Todd Howard's marketing got a lot more people to try it with much higher expectations. I'd guess it possible that if a big marketing campaign got a lot more people to try Forspoken, its number would be a lot lower.

It's good for a cheap point on a BBS, but there's at least one obvious way these aren't the same thing. Just pointing it out.

avin

Last edited:

OuterLimits

The game likely falls in the 70% to 80% range. Certainly a disappointment for a Bethesda game and the insane hype before release, but hardly a raging dumpster fire that deserves months of mockery and review bombs over an award.

What actually was a raging dumpster fire was Fallout 76 at launch and for a period after. Yet, according to many, the game has significantly improved and is enjoyed now despite the dismal launch. Starfield being a 7/8 type game at launch certainly has a decent chance of also being a significantly better experience in a couple years after DLC/expansions/mods. We shall see

Top Bottom