• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has 'Mixed' reviews on Steam (Up: 'Recent' reviews are Mostly Negative)

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Interesting. People have started to post positive reviews of Starfield on Steam. Moving it from Mostly Negative back to Mixed.

p7iwvh29mvgc1.png
Still negative. 60% are negative in the last 30 days.

q7hag3w.jpg

The total average is also down to 60.03%, which means that the negative reviews percentage is still more than 50%.

Three

Interesting. People have started to post positive reviews of Starfield on Steam. Moving it from Mostly Negative back to Mixed.

p7iwvh29mvgc1.png
Ass of Can Whooping Ass of Can Whooping is hard at work since the announcement

Still negative. 60% are negative in the last 30 days.

q7hag3w.jpg

The total average is also down to 60.03%, which means that the negative reviews percentage is still more than 50%.
Yeah, it's right on the edge of mixed and mostly negative. Before it was just under 40% positive to end up with a mostly negative.

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
If you actually go read the recent helpful reviews, they're all mixed bags. The top one says "wait for half off". The number doesn't mean much alone.

Laptop1991

Mixed is not good for a SP Bethesda game anyway!. if i buy the game, it will be after it might get better after patches and DLC and at a discount, this isn't a win for me, it could easily slip back into mostly negative again.

Mowcno

Farming Simulator 2022 has more people playing than SS lool
SS is Farming Simulator 2019. (3k)
Starfield is American Truck Simulator. (5k)
Skyrim is Farming Sim 2022 . (20k)

They let me down by not doing a Farming Simulator 20/21 for starfield and this new ranking system.

JackMcGunns

Patches doing the work maybe? Despite how slow Bethesda is at actually releasing them.

The issue isn't that it's slow, but their selection. Look at their first patch... "Hey, the game is crashing constantly when auto-saves kick in, Outposts are broken, missions are bugged.

Bethesda: "Ok, we're listening... and we're going to fix the vendor exploit where people can steal money from them.

WTF? who asked for that?

Bethesda: "That's not the way we want you to play the game"

But there's LITERALLY a Theft perk in your skills tree, so it's ok to steal in the game, but we can only steal what you want us to steal? huh?

Bethesda ... Ummm, ok... oh oh, we have Update 2: Ok, so NOW we're fixing the bug that's causing players who invest a lot of hours in the game and their games start to crash... psych!! the forms ID issue will be fixed later, for now we're fixing the missing shadows on planet rings...

Who asked for that??

Bethesda: "Oh wait, we're also fixing boxes spawning guns and ammo when you place in outposts, now they'll be empty because that's how we want you to play the game"

Thanks... I guess?

Missions are still bugged, outpost links are still broken, ships are still bugged with no crew, can't steal, cargo doors won't open, ships in space are empty...

Don't worry, we'll fix that in the next update, right after we fix another exploit where players might get extra credits, because that's not how we want you to play the game...

Ok, playing Palworld

Last edited:
Last edited:

Slimboy Fat

I think people are a bit too whiny about Starfield's gameplay tbh. If this didn't have the Bethesda label I bet we'd see posts soyfacing about all the stuff you could do etc. etc. All the complaints are true though: boring exploration, loading screens, bad writing but precious few games do not suffer the same or similarly bad afflictions. At least games of comparable scope.

However, two things that certainly are worth complaining about in order to give a clear signal to Bethesda in their work on ES6 are woke writing+character design (almost no white men for example despite being their biggest audience) and shitty optimization. The graphics just don't justify the performance.

If those two pitfalls can be avoided I think ES6 will be a good game, with mods if nothing else.

Fredrik

The issue isn't that it's slow, but their selection. Look at their first patch... "Hey, the game is crashing constantly when auto-saves kick in, Outposts are broken, missions are bugged.

Bethesda: "Ok, we're listening... and we're going to fix the vendor exploit where people can steal money from them.

WTF? who asked for that?

Bethesda: "That's not the way we want you to play the game"

But there's LITERALLY a Theft perk in your skills tree, so it's ok to steal in the game, but we can only steal what you want us to steal? huh?

Bethesda ... Ummm, ok... oh oh, we have Update 2: Ok, so NOW we're fixing the bug that's causing players who invest a lot of hours in the game and their games start to crash... psych!! the forms ID issue will be fixed later, for now we're fixing the missing shadows on planet rings...

Who asked for that??

Bethesda: "Oh wait, we're also fixing boxes spawning guns and ammo when you place in outposts, now they'll be empty because that's how we want you to play the game"

Thanks... I guess?

Missions are still bugged, outpost links are still broken, ships are still bugged with no crew, can't steal, cargo doors won't open, ships in space are empty...

Don't worry, we'll fix that in the next update, right after we fix another exploit where players might get extra credits, because that's not how we want you to play the game...

Ok, playing Palworld
Yikes 300 hours and haven’t seen any of that phew

Well, final quest in Crimson Fleet faction is broken. I still have Shinya standing on his knees up the stairs in the entrance 20 hours later.

My main criticism is still the lack of ground vehicles, hoping that’s something they fix with the ”new ways to travel” update.
And fast traveling is too easy. Teleporting from inside a cave getting an artifact to outside the Lodge door is dumb. I want to at least see my ship used through a cutscene or something, I’ve spent 10s of hours designing it.

JackMcGunns

Yikes 300 hours and haven’t seen any of that phew

Well, final quest in Crimson Fleet faction is broken. I still have Shinya standing on his knees up the stairs in the entrance 20 hours later.

My main criticism is still the lack of ground vehicles, hoping that’s something they fix with the ”new ways to travel” update.
And fast traveling is too easy. Teleporting from inside a cave getting an artifact to outside the Lodge door is dumb. I want to at least see my ship used through a cutscene or something, I’ve spent 10s of hours designing it.

I have more than 700hrs FML! 💀

Fredrik

I have more than 700hrs FML! 💀
Lol okay fair enough I’ll see it later then 😅

I’ve had fairly few crashes, like maybe 3 in 300 hours. Still playing it almost daily. Most annoying crashlike thing for me is the tab button sometimes not working. I have to do alt-tab and flip out and then flip back to fix it. Strange.

Definitely agree on the exploration complaint but don’t feel like it’s a major problem the way I’m playing it. Been doing lots of outpost building. Current playthrough is about Unity runs.

Weird complaint but the ease of fast traveling is really hurting the game for me. I get why it’s there but it feels like going through a movie flipping through the chapter select menu watching a few minutes per chapter instead of watching the movie. Bad analogy perhaps but I just think too much gets skipped and it’s really not meant to play any other way, too long distances to walk and travel and missed opportunity doing something with the spaceship and crew. The whole thing is supposed to be a space adventure but the space and crew bit can be almost entirely skipped.

In short the game does so many things but lots of things aren’t fleshed out enough. I can see glimpses of greatness all over the place and then often a rushed execution or a mechanic scaled back too much. Probably needed another year of development with harsh playtesters. Hoping for lots of updates. And really looking forward to official mod tools.

JayK47

I did it. I updated my review to not recommended. The more I think about it, the less I like this game. I reviewed it positively too early, before I was even done with the game. The end game was very disappointing. There are elements in the game that are good, but the main characters and story are not great and no amount of patches or DLC will fix that. After playing a game like BG3, it makes so many other games look bad. For the cost, the hype, and the long development time, we all expected more and we should have gotten it. No word on the DLC I stupidly pre-paid for. I'm not sure if I will want to go back even when it does finally come out.

Topher

Gold Member
I did it. I updated my review to not recommended. The more I think about it, the less I like this game. I reviewed it positively too early, before I was even done with the game. The end game was very disappointing. There are elements in the game that are good, but the main characters and story are not great and no amount of patches or DLC will fix that. After playing a game like BG3, it makes so many other games look bad. For the cost, the hype, and the long development time, we all expected more and we should have gotten it. No word on the DLC I stupidly pre-paid for. I'm not sure if I will want to go back even when it does finally come out.
All By Myself Reaction GIF by Travis

Biggest disappointing in gaming?

Top Bottom