• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield has lost 97% of its Steam players in less than six months.

Draugoth

Gold Member
starfield-1-580x334.jpg

In the six months since it launched, Starfield, Bethesda's long-awaited space RPG, has seen its Steam player count drop by over 300,000

The game’s reviews are currently sitting at mixed, which is a step up from the previous ‘mostly negative‘. And the Steam figures don’t account for those who are purchased it via the Xbox store or are playing it on Game Pass. But it’s still not a great look for Bethesda, particularly when you consider that these players paid for the game.

The game’s reviews are currently sitting at mixed, which is a step up from the previous ‘mostly negative‘. And the Steam figures don’t account for those who are purchased it via the Xbox store or are playing it on Game Pass. But it’s still not a great look for Bethesda, particularly when you consider that these players paid for the game. YouTube Thumbnail

Source

tylrdiablos

Might get a resurgence when the official modding tools are released?

EDIT: Typo. Phone decided I wanted to type "kidding" instead of "modding".

Last edited:

Laptop1991

Doesn't surprise me, BGS games in the past were hand crafted over procedural content whereas Starfield at this point is the other way round, i only use to use the procedural quests in TES and Fallout for xp or loot until they got boring and they did that quick, no wonder Starfield has got the boring tag, I'm going to wait and see if Bethesda turn it around, if not ive lost nothing but Bethesda won't get my money.

Hrk69

Obviously

After a couple of hours you have seen everything the game has to offer. The boundaries of the game-play get boring real fast. I enjoyed the first couple of hours but rushed the game after the familiarity settled in.

It's baffling to me that they took so many years to create this shallow game.

Bethesda is a complete joke at this point.

Palworld wins again.

artsi

I would say this is normal for a single player game but there were actually people saying this is the next skyrim that will be played for decades to come. Well, surprise mfers it's not. Currently Skyrim has 3 times more players than it.

They also said that mods will bring all the players.

But no one accounted that maybe the game is so dead when mod tools get released that no one is even interested in modding it.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Totally normal for most single player games. People move on and will come back to it once DLC launches.

I bet you could do this for most games that arent something huge like a GOTY winner (Balders Gate 3)

Mr Hyde

Probably the biggest disappointment in the last decade for me. I was so hyped for this but when I played it and I realized how mid and shallow it was, I just dropped it without a second thought. Will most likely have a go at it again in the future when/if Bethesda drops DLC or patch it up with new content or QoL updates. Maybe my opinion will change.

Holammer

Might get a resurgence when the official kidding tools are released?
That or a content update. Games like Terraria & Stardew Valley always enjoyed a resurgence in players with mega updates and more sales as players return to check out the new stuff. Same happens with No Man's Sky, every time they drop a content update they also slash the price by 50% and it returns to Steam's top 10 Global To Sellers.

Elysium44

Banned
Dqak5Ov.png
RteRhu3.png

Pictures are worth more than a thousand words.

24 hour peak puts it at 123rd. It's also about the nature of the game presumably, you finish it and then move on. It has 50% more players in 24 hours than Resident Evil 4 for example, a widely loved game.

Throw that shit game in the bin along with that ultra shit engine they keep insisting does the job. Creation Engine is awful and needs replacing with an engine that doesn't require loading screens for walking into buildings or new areas.

The game was enjoyable enough for the 125 hours I played it on Steam through to the lacklustre conclusion of its main story but this is easily Bethesda's weakest RPG to date. It is also a very dated game in terms of its design (too many loading screens and too much boring procedurally generated content and cut and paste locations), boring characters and dull dialogue. It's not awful, even with the many, many bugs, but it is utterly and inexcusably mediocre in my opinion.

Leaves me a heck of a lot less excited about The Elder Scrolls 6, I can confidently say that. :messenger_loudly_crying:

Last edited:

Mowcno

Its a single player game, isn't that normal?

Era used the same argument for Hogwarts Legacy to prove it wasn't a good game....
It is pretty normal for a SP games player numbers to plummet. 97% drop isn't much of a story, not one that can really say anything without a lot of data for how other SP games dropped. What isn't normal is that other much older Bethesda RPG's have far more players.

Skyrim - 18.5k
Fallout 4 - 12.4k
Starfield - 4.7k

New Vegas is at 2.7k, it's not impossible Starfield drops below that eventually. The 97% drop isn't really a good news story, but the much lower players than Bethesda's other RPGS while being so much newer is. By Bethesda's standards Starfield was a clear miss.

FeralEcho

Came here to post this. Who the fuck is still playing a sp game 6 months on?
What? This is not a 6 hour singleplayer campaign.Its supposed to be a massive RPG,these things tend to be played a long time.Baldur's Gate 3,Skyrim etc. Are games that do get played still after 6 months.

Problem with Starfield is that unlike those games.... it's boring as shit.

Elysium44

Banned
It is pretty normal for a SP games player numbers to plummet. 97% drop isn't much of a story, not one that can really say anything without a lot of data for how other SP games dropped. What isn't normal is that other much older Bethesda RPG's have far more players.

Skyrim - 18.5k
Fallout 4 - 12.4k
Starfield - 4.7k

New Vegas is at 2.7k, it's not impossible Starfield drops below that eventually. The 97% drop isn't really a good news story, but the much lower players than Bethesda's other RPGS while being so much newer is. By Bethesda's standards Starfield was a clear miss.

They've been out many years longer and have been on sale cheap loads of times?

Elysium44

Banned
In five months Resident Evil 4 lost 99% of its players, thus proving RE4 is shit (apparently).

ieXKP4O.jpg

I don't even like Starfield and have no desire to try it, but these arguments are silly.

We can also see RE4 picked up after its DLC released and/or got discounts, as you'd expect.

Last edited:

Braag

I started playing it just last week. So far 12 hours in and it's been fairly fun, I didn't have any expectations going in though.
I did notice that there isn't proper mod support yet and overall modding the game requires few extra hoops to jump through compared Skyrim or Fallout 4.
I'm sure after some QoL patches and mod support, the game will pick up.

Last edited:

Roufianos

While it's normal for single player numbers to drop off, Bethesda games tend to develop hardcore fans who perpetually play. They also usually have evergreen sales.

Not the end of the world, I don't think Starfield was bad but it's a bummer the studio still seems so far behind. I would have thought Fallout 4 would be a wake up call.

Z O N E

I mean, I stopped playing it because I put over 400 hours into it, so there's that. Lol

I've put about the same into Cyberpunk 2077.

It's not the end of the world. I'll come back to it later on.

Top Bottom