• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation’s 3.50 system software update out tomorrow

Amon37

All the new features and changes are online/social. What's the point of updating if you're not connected to the internet?

For me it would be that my ps4 downloads at about 1/6 my max speed so I could download to usb stick and install the update before my ps4 would be finished downloading it.

Gray-Fox

Remote Play is great!
12HQtSC.png

Bluenoser

Eh? Where else would the controller be connected to, the PS4? That would defeat the purpose of remote play if you're still anchored to your PS4, no?

Unless you mean if its possible to control your PS4 with some other controller? I don't think there's any PC gamepad currently that can fully emulate all the DS4 functions. Some posts above did mention that your keyboard is mapped to a number of DS4 buttons, so it stands to reason you can (probably) use a PC gamepad with some reasonable playability if you map the buttons to the right keys.

Yeah, it's dawning on me that I clearly don't understand how remote play functions. I had assumed you would need to be in range of your PS4 anyway, and that remote play is simply taking the image of what would be on your TV, and broadcasting it on a remote device like a laptop, but you are still playing your PS4. Maybe I'm dumb.

Glix

Working pretty decent from a quick test. Pc is on wifi too!! Ps4 wired

Gonna wire it up when i get home and see if its even better.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Uhhhh... That's how all of your offline friends appear on your friends list. I'm not sure how else they could be more subtle about that. Not unless I'm misunderstanding you...

I agree with him. It breaks up the icon flow with the blue/red icon. Instead it should make the whole Avatar icon color/grayscale for on/offline.

Smokey

Nice to have friend notifications back, but don't like that I have to new friends to this list. Should be an option to just turn the notification entirely on.

Wait...you have to add your already existing friends into a new list for online notifications to work? Am I understanding correctly?

FYI: all regions have the exact same firmware. They all have the same MD5/SHA1 hash.

Also, does any one think that they should give us an option to keep the DualShock 4 connected to the PS4?

The only reason I want Remote Play is for trophy hunting. I want to be able to have a RP window on my PC and a Chrome window with some trophy guide. Forcing me to use a USB cable to tether the controller seems counterproductive, since my PS4 is close to my router and my PC.

Anyone else on the same boat or is it just me?

DavidDesu

Wait...you have to add your already existing friends into a new list for online notifications to work? Am I understanding correctly?

This is a GOOD thing! How many of us have hundreds of random we've added over the years. If we got notified about all those people there would be never ending pop up party on your screen. Much better to have to choose the ones you wish notified about. If you want all there's a select all option so won't cause you any bother!

Yeah. If not you'd get notifications as soon as everyone goes on. So basically you separate who you want to see. Could be annoying having 32 friends notification going on and off.

i woke up to the sound of my ps4 turning on and off. i guess it was downloading the update. i thought a ghost clicked the ps button on the controller and then turned it off

HardRojo

This is good, at least for me, as I mostly play fighting games when it comes to online gaming, so I'd just care about those of my friends who also play FGs.

spectator

Any chance of a "Check for update - all" button in the library in this version? I'm tired of slogging through each game/app, individually, to catch the updates that don't come through automatically (and there always are some).

Rey

It was confirmed about one page ago that once you set it to appear offline it will stay that way until you set it back to online, even after youve turned off/on your system

What happens when u get a trophy? Will it show in your friends "whats new" section during your offline time?

So appear offline is bogus its just like the ps3 your name is still there the lil ball os just yellow my buddy said he can still see that im there just "away"

Glad they fucked up the one feature i was looking forward to. This wouldnt be an issue if i could just look at my fuckong trophy list offline

Any chance of a "Check for update - all" button in the library in this version? I'm tired of slogging through each game/app, individually, to catch the updates that don't come through automatically (and there always are some).

Theres already an option for that

Edit

Its in the automatic downloads section push updates its called i believe

Furyous

My remote play connection keeps getting lost. Any tips on how to improve my remote play connection? This at least works on a retina macbook pro 13 so I'm somewhat happy.

FyreWulff

the cpu requirements for the remote play app seem pretty ridiculous, an i5(m) for a 720p stream?

You have to have a beefier machine to do this since for this to work you need either specialized hardware to handle it or a beefy enough computer that can handle such 'raw' video as fast as it does with minimal latency

They could make the decoding less intense, but that would also introduce massive input latency.

Regular video 720p streams can get away with less beefy hardware because they can afford to be pre-processed more, loaded into a buffer and optimized.

Like, for example, the Wii U Gamepad's 480p screen saturates 95% of the total bandwidth of Wireless N, because they have to do this to keep the latency down to 1ms. 480p!

So appear offline is bogus its just like the ps3 your name is still there the lil ball os just yellow my buddy said he can still see that im there just "away"

Glad they fucked up the one feature i was looking forward to. This wouldnt be an issue if i could just look at my fuckong trophy list offline

This cant be right.

This OS seems messed up. My messages arent even working anymore

My remote play connection keeps getting lost. Any tips on how to improve my remote play connection? This at least works on a retina macbook pro 13 so I'm somewhat happy.

In remote play settings on the PS4 choose direct connection. If in the local network you get a much stronger signal as you are just going through your router. The PS4 being connected via Ethernet works better as well. If you are trying to do it entirely over the internet you need a better internet up speed at home and down speed wherever you are.

Nesther

So did the PSN store layout change to that minimalistic overhaul for anyone with the final 3.50 firmware? Mine's still the same.

AndyD

aka andydumi
This is a GOOD thing! How many of us have hundreds of random we've added over the years. If we got notified about all those people there would be never ending pop up party on your screen. Much better to have to choose the ones you wish notified about. If you want all there's a select all option so won't cause you any bother!

Indeed. This is the only way to do this feature right.

LOL holy crap. I'm in disbelief.

Good to know I'm not the only one with this OCD. I'd love this feature.

Can they see what you're playing while being "offline"?

Anyone try this on a less than min CPU spec?
Intel Q9550 works fine for me in 720p60 via Ethernet (both PC and PS4 are wired), although I'm not sure if it utilizes GPU acceleration (DXVA) to decode the H.264 stream. Any ideas?

Top Bottom