• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 3 plays SACDs - why didn't anyone tell me??

SleazyC

Woman said:
I hate to bump this old thread, but I just bought an SACD to try out on my PS3, and when I try to play it, a message comes up that says "Playback of this disc using the connected device is prohibited." I have it hooked up via HDMI, so I don't understand the problem. Maybe I'm just retarded.
Could be an HDCP handshaking problem but I was under the impression that was only with video. Try running an optical cable if whatever you are hooked up for for audio allows it.

Raistlin

Woman said:
I hate to bump this old thread, but I just bought an SACD to try out on my PS3, and when I try to play it, a message comes up that says "Playback of this disc using the connected device is prohibited." I have it hooked up via HDMI, so I don't understand the problem. Maybe I'm just retarded.

Do you have PCM over HDMI configured in the XMB?

Woman

I have it set to automatic, and it says that the output formats are currently Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 khz and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 khz.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Woman said:
I have it set to automatic, and it says that the output formats are currently Linear PCM 2 Ch. 44.1 khz and Linear PCM 2 Ch. 48 khz.
Check your thread on SA, it seems to be your TV set

Raistlin

Woman said:

Wait ... are you trying to play it on your TV, and not a receiver?

I think HDMI automatically handshakes settings with each other. If your TV can only handle PCM of 48kHz and lower ... that's all this set up will output.

My DVD player plays them, but I hav eyet to buy a single one becase...

1. Haven't seena single SACD that I wanted...
2. I wouldn't buy a CD I could only listen to on my DVD player, and finally...
3. I wouldn't pay more for it and I'm happy with MP3s so this doesn't make a difference to me.

Raistlin

SlaughterX said:

3. I wouldn't pay more for it and I'm happy with MP3s so this doesn't make a difference to me.

Look through Amazon when you're bored ... maybe you'll see something you want.

Most of the ones there are pretty cheap ... and the vast majority of releases are hybrids (contain a CD layer - and generally, it is re-mastered).

jett

D-Member
SlaughterX said:

If you don't want to listen to Dark Side of the Moon in surround sound you fail at life.

Top Bottom