• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation 3D Gaming Impressions Thread

Unregistered007 said:
Finished Uncharted 3 from start to finish in 3D on my 51 inch Plasma.

Great game start to end, NO FRAME RATE ISSUES.

Batman AA - Here is the real kicker

Batman AA looks terrible on my TV due to Jaggies, with 3D the Jaggies are almost gone.

I brought a Samsung D8000 yesterday and of course I immediately tried the games compatible with the 3D. Uncharted 3 is a mess, the frame rate is seriously affected, the low resolution makes the game a mess. Am I doing something wrong?

Instead Batman AC (on 360, can you believe this?) look amazing but somewhat fake, like 2d images like cardboxes in 3d. But how can you play in 3D for more than 10 minutes? I'm afraid to swallow my tongue and die

Vol5

Unity2012 said:
Has anybody played any of these games on 3D:

Uncharted 3

Batman Arkham City

ICO and SOTC

Resistance 3

*If you have could you please share some impressions of the 3D performance. Thank you.

I'm probably gonna get flamed for this but U3 takes a fairly significant performance hit in 3D. AA is removed and resolution is reduced. The 3D is great though with real depth and no framerate issues. Downside is a much reduced overall image quality. Switch between the 2 modes and its instantly apparent.

R3 is OK but again reduced image quality.

Batman was probably the best performer image wise but the effect suffers from warps and oddities. I enjoyed this in 3D more than U3 and R3 if I'm honest. Maybe I'll go back to U3 tonight have another shot at it.

quetz67

Banned
thelurkinghorror said:
I brought a Samsung D8000 yesterday and of course I immediately tried the games compatible with the 3D. Uncharted 3 is a mess, the frame rate is seriously affected, the low resolution makes the game a mess. Am I doing something wrong?

Instead Batman AC (on 360, can you believe this?) look amazing but somewhat fake, like 2d images like cardboxes in 3d. But how can you play in 3D for more than 10 minutes? I'm afraid to swallow my tongue and die
Resolution and/or framerate take a hit in 3D, no question. But Uncharted is one of the better looking. I am half through it playing in 1 hour chunks, but could easily play longer.

Qatar

So far I've played 4 games on stereoscopic 3D
Hustle Kings - didn't feel much different in 3D
CoD Black Ops - 3D was unplayable.
Batman AC - sometimes 3D is good and sometimes I feel there's no 3D at all, maybe because I played it on Xbox 360.
Uncharted 3 - 3D kicks ass and I'm willing to go through the whole game in 3D.

I got the 3D tv recently and I didn't get the chance to play more 3D games, as I already own the Sly collection, Crysis 2 and GT5

burgerdog

Was so hyped for u3 3D but the loss of image quality and resolution is outstanding. Not ND's fault, however, these consoles just don't have enough power for full 720p hd. I know there are a couple of games out there that are but they are the exception.

kinggroin

Banned
All I comment on is shadow of the colossus. Image quality drops a tad, but performance suffers massively. At times performing worse than the ps2 version :-\

kinggroin said:
All I comment on is shadow of the colossus. Image quality drops a tad, but performance suffers massively. At times performing worse than the ps2 version :-\

In my experience with Uncharted 3 the frame rate take a very hard hit and the resolution look the same as Ps2. Not even 580. But the 3D effect is very good, especially in the climbing sequences.

This morning I tried ICO. The effect is good, the resolution remains in high definition, even the frame rate remain stable.

Ocaso

I've recently been playing Uncharted 3 in 3D after completing single player in 2D, and I have to echo the comments of previous users regarding image quality. Like several other 3D games, the drop in resolution coupled with an apparent lack of any anti-aliasing result in an image that looks too jaggy for my tastes. On my TV it also suffers from considerable crosstalk, which can be distracting. It's not surprising that this game requires such a compromise in stereo 3D since in 2D it's a spectacular visual feast. It's a shame too, since the feeling of depth is fantastic and the framerate remains solid. I'll probably still give it a playthrough in 3D, but if any game has made me consider that we're far overdue for a new console generation it's this one.

I'd also like to revise my opinion of ICO in stereo 3D somewhat. Though I still prefer full 1080p, after playing a bit more my statement that depth is generally slight only really applies to indoor areas. Once you step outdoors and catch a glimpse of the game's beautiful vistas in 3D, it's hard not to be impressed. It's probably worth turning on 3D at least in those areas, but SotC is still the better stereo 3D showpiece.

Ydahs

The Sonic Generations demo blew my mind. The 3D is almost perfect with very little reduction to image quality.

It's almost sold me on the game.

123rl

I just bought a new TV (Panasonic 42VT20). Bring on the 3D gaming :D I only have access to Motorstorm 3D atm but it is incredible. Beyond anything I've ever seen

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Off to pick up my 3D display today, just wondered if anyone has had an enjoyable experience with Virtua Tennis 4, Top Spin 4 and MLB 11 The Show in 3D?

Any other sports games I am missing in 3D?

3D gaming sucks because of the massive resolution hit that occurs.

Most games already are sub HD. I don't want to end up playing SD resolutions of 480p just to have 3D.

Only two games look good - Wipeout HD and SSHD, because they retain their very good image quality. Even GT5 looks blurry as fuck in 3D mode. Not sure if it actually is 720p at that resolution though.

For gaming, 3D has been a massive disappointment. For movies? AWESOME.

I have a Samsung 40C750. Anyone got this TV? 2D image quality is absolutely amazing. Almost as on par as my Panasonic plasma, but 3D gaming hardly seems great. Does anyone use any particular 3D settings (if they have this TV)?

Sadly, I have to agree with this sentiment. When I bought my 3D TV last year, I did so mostly for games. But, to my dismay, I soon learned that games take either a resolution or framerate hit when running in 3D, and to me the added depth isn't a good enough trade off. Plus the glasses ruin the colors. Movies look great at least, but there aren't very many good 3D movies out yet, and they are fucking expensive.

So far, the only 3D games that really looked good to me were Super Stardust, Avatar (shitty game, though) and the God of War and SOTC/Ico collections.

Top Bottom