• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 4 Hacking |OT| No Piracy Discussion

I searched, but couldn't find a thread already so I thought I'd make my own.

Recently, SpecterDev released a 5.05 kernel exploit that can be used to enable homebrew applications.

There are several interesting projects already happening, many of which have been ported from the previous 4.55 kernel exploit. Currently there is an FTP server, game dumper, homebrew enabler, Linux loader, etc. Obviously, you need a console that hasn't been online in a while (since January or so) to do this.

GAF - has anyone tried this? Thoughts?

Ar¢tos

I have been waiting for a save file resigner , so I can move save files from my old account to my new one, hopefully these exploits will lead to a tool for this like the ps3 had.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have a spare PS4 that's been laying around since I upgraded to a Pro, and I've been kinda tinkering with this on and off because I don't want to bother selling it. The newest exploit seems pretty great so far, there are a lot of cool things it can do.

I have been waiting for a save file resigner , so I can move save files from my old account to my new one, hopefully these exploits will lead to a tool for this like the ps3 had.
There is a homebrew CFW (of sorts) that adds this directly to the options menu called Mira. It lets you back up a save to USB and load saves from USB - I know it works carrying saves from console to console, not sure if it works between users but it's worth trying!

Ar¢tos

I have a spare PS4 that's been laying around since I upgraded to a Pro, and I've been kinda tinkering with this on and off because I don't want to bother selling it. The newest exploit seems pretty great so far, there are a lot of cool things it can do.

There is a homebrew CFW (of sorts) that adds this directly to the options menu called Mira. It lets you back up a save to USB and load saves from USB - I know it works carrying saves from console to console, not sure if it works between users but it's worth trying!
I think I'll wait for something that doesn't require CFW, a PC prog that can extract the user/console data from the save file so I can swap with the data from the new account.

LordOfChaos

What kind of content is restricted from passing to the app store, that Homebrew would allow?

Just curious. I get the appeal a lot of places, but the PS4 and XBO allow powerful app submissions, so I was wondering what people are interested in.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
What kind of content is restricted from passing to the app store, that Homebrew would allow?

Just curious. I get the appeal a lot of places, but the PS4 and XBO allow powerful app submissions, so I was wondering what people are interested in.

Well, the obvious thing (that's already possible to some extent) is emulation of older systems. And on that front - the PS4 has a built-in PS2 software emulator that's pretty accurate and people have already figured out how to inject their own games. The same is true for PSP games, since hackers found out that the PaRappa remaster is just shoved into a software emulator. So, theoretically, the PS4 could play anything basically up to the PS2 / PSP era. I can't really say much more without getting into piracy talks though... :p

As the OP mentions, a lot of the usual suspects are already here: like, I was able to FTP into my PS4 and delete a pending 5.50 update that automatically started downloading when I inadvertently turned on automatic updates.

Theoretically, someone could build a Linux distro that boots straight into Kodi and could output at 4K on a Pro. While it's available on Microsoft, I doubt it would ever make the jump to the Playstation store.

And again not to talk specifically of piracy, but I read that someone figured out how to "re-activate" expired PS+ games that were already installed on your console.

So there's a lot this can do, it's just going to be a matter of time before all the right tools get made.

For shorts, and from a user standpoint (rather than dev) what are the benefits or additional functionalities of a hacked PS4 (save for piracy of course)?

Ar¢tos

For shorts, and from a user standpoint (rather than dev) what are the benefits or additional functionalities of a hacked PS4 (save for piracy of course)?
Not much I guess... Besides running Ps2 and PSP games, there is potential for homebrew, custom emulators (ps1, neo geo, etc) and maybe running Linux or FreeBSD as OS alternative, just for fun.

Can you update your games without having a PSN account yet? Ideally a way I can download the updates elsewhere and apply via usb for those with super slow home internet still.

RVIDXR

To me it's worth it just for the PS2 emulation. I plan on buying a second Pro to use as main. I'm just waiting for the day we can get the PS4s wifi password again so I can direct connect to my Laptop without needing a router. Sony obfuscated and restricted it to Vitas only around FW 3.50 when they saw people using the superior "Remote Play PC" app. Also, I can't wait for PS1, N64, GameCube & Wii emulation and a Kodi port.

Last edited:
I took my dust cover off of my PS4 to check the firmware expecting it to be too up-to-date to be able to do this. But lo and behold, I have 5.05 on my slim. PS2 games here I come. Thanks for the heads-up OP.

Can you update your games without having a PSN account yet? Ideally a way I can download the updates elsewhere and apply via usb for those with super slow home internet still.
if you are on 5.05:
1. search ps4database.io or orbismodding.com for the latest 5.05 supported update for your CUSA
2. download the update from Sony's servers onto your USB, then plug it into your PS4
3. install the update via Debug Settings exposed after activating HEN+Mira

if you are on 5.05:
1. search ps4database.io or orbismodding.com for the latest 5.05 supported update for your CUSA
2. download the update from Sony's servers onto your USB, then plug it into your PS4
3. install the update via Debug Settings exposed after activating HEN+Mira

Wonderful. Thank you, will take a look into it as I have to use mobile broadband for the net out here in the boonies and being able to dl elsewhere then USB it would be much appreciated.

DonF

I have absolutely no problems with game piracy or emulation, I really don't care, do what you want with your ps4, use it to its full extent. What i'm against is unsigned code that allows cheating on online games. I hate that, so if this is just for offline play, for now, godspeed.

jshackles

I have absolutely no problems with game piracy or emulation, I really don't care, do what you want with your ps4, use it to its full extent. What i'm against is unsigned code that allows cheating on online games. I hate that, so if this is just for offline play, for now, godspeed.

This definitely seems like the type of system that will always be a "cat and mouse" game between hackers and Sony. And considering Sony already released 5.50 before the hacks for 5.05 released, it's probably not going to go favorably for those looking to use this to cheat in online games. Unless, of course, someone at Sony massively fucks up or some long dormant unpatched exploit comes to light.

Top Bottom