• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Playstation 5 melting USB on controllers at Evo 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

“EVO is proving that PS5 is NOT the answer,” posted Twitter user SabreAZ on August 5. “Usb ports are melting like craY. @Kyoku236HS usb on his controller melted. This is not isolated. We need to go PC or xbox at least.” Kyoku236HS responded with a photo of the plastic insert in the PS5’s USB port. “This got stuck in my stick lol,” they wrote. “Got ripped out of the ps5.”
“This is my melted controller,” posted Eduardo Cuervo alongside a photo of their USB cord with similarly deformed plastic insert. “It just took one set.”

User SyrupyCereal recounted a similar incident on Reddit. “After my SF6 set, my opponent courteously took out my cord for me and out came with it the PS5 USB receiver,” they wrote. “Broke my Junkfood cable right then and there! Didn’t find out until I had my first match for Granblue Rising, and feeling like an idiot that I couldn’t plug in my cable to the PS5.”

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Thats Hot GIF by Paris Hilton

Closer

Man, didn't know PS5 can get that hot while playing. I'd be really pissed if my arcade stick got damaged between sets. Evo was really fun tho. Those DBFZ and Tekken 7 matches were 🤌

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I mean, if it didn't happen to you, surely didn't happen to anyone else.

Pack it up boys!
In Canada we experienced pretty hot weather this year and time around my air conditioner was not working and yet I didn't experience any overheating on my launch PS5.

So is this bug in the game people experiencing or faulty PS5?

MarkMe2525

In Canada we experienced pretty hot weather this year and time around my air conditioner was not working and yet I didn't experience any overheating on my launch PS5.

Hot in Canada? What, did it get up to 89° F? All jokes aside, we had 2 days last week over 120° F where I live.

tmlDan

Where in Canada? its been a really cold summer here - we have had only like 3-4 days over 30C thats really cold for a Canadian summer.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Where in Canada? its been a really cold summer here - we have had only like 3-4 days over 30C thats really cold for a Canadian summer.
Of course compare to other places we had it pretty good but because lack of air conditioner, my house got pretty hot.

Last edited:

Embearded

That's weird! How hot does the usb get for that to happen?
I used my flight sticks a lot with 2-3 hour sessions and then i remove them as soon as i a shutdown the console but i never felt it getting softer or moving around. Of course that doesn't mean it's not happening to them.
Anyway, they ca deal with this asap by using short extension cables.

Last edited:

Embearded

I’ve got usb dongle for pulse 3d headset in there for 3 years. No damage
I think the problem is when you try to remove the device after playing and the port is hot. Maybe the plastic is getting softer and it is removed as you pull the cable.

Utamaru1706

Neo Member
The Street Fighter 6 tournament were the biggest one during EVO 2023 with around 7000 contestants, so it doesn't surprise me if some of them were having trouble, since those PS5's was working really hard for 3 days straight just for that tournament alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom