• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Classic Off To Sluggish Sales Start In Japan

PSFan

Ah, that’s pretty cool but is a tad more involved than what that poster was implying. I thought so.

I’ve deep-dived into emulation for decades and it is never as easy as that poster made out.

No it's not that involved. You just download bleemsync and put it on your flash drive and then set up your games in the proper method. Then put the stick in the PS Classic and turn it on. Nothing is done to the Classic itself.

https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync/

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
No it's not that involved. You just download bleemsync and put it on your flash drive and then set up your games in the proper method. Then put the stick in the PS Classic and turn it on. Nothing is done to the Classic itself.

https://github.com/pathartl/BleemSync/
The poster implied that you wack roms on a stick, plug it in and start playing. That is not the case. I just watched a 20+ minute tutorial on Youtube. You have to download specific software. Format your USB if needed. Create the proper folder structure. Place game files in specific locations. Place art files and other things too. Plus other stuff.

That is more involved compared to what was implied. I am not saying it is difficult, but it is way more time consuming than what was suggested.

I’m still gonna do it, mind you.

PSFan

The poster implied that you wack roms on a stick, plug it in and start playing. That is not the case. I just watched a 20+ minute tutorial on Youtube. You have to download specific software. Format your USB if needed. Create the proper folder structure. Place game files in specific locations. Place art files and other things too. Plus other stuff.

That is more involved compared to what was implied. I am not saying it is difficult, but it is way more time consuming than what was suggested.

I’m still gonna do it, mind you.

I am that poster. And I've already done it. Once you set up the software, which is mostly just unzipping and copying to the formatted USB stick and add the games and set up their config files, you do just stick it in the Classic and turn it on to start playing. I've been playing Dragon Warrior VII on the Classic and it runs great.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
My point is that the most popular PS1 games back then are less enjoyable nowadays (Gran Turismo, Tekken, Tomb Raider) unlike the most popular SNES games.
And my point is that the best games on PlayStation, which are on par with the best SNES games, weren’t necessarily the most popular at the time. I’m dispelling the notion that PlayStation has a library of poorly aged games.

Context is key. You know why those games were popular. It was 3D. It was new. Now that the novelty is gone, we can see that the best games on PlayStation weren’t necessarily the ones which received the most attention.

Last edited:

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
I am that poster. And I've already done it. Once you set up the software, which is mostly just unzipping and copying to the formatted USB stick and add the games and set up their config files, you do just stick it in the Classic and turn it on to start playing. I've been playing Dragon Warrior VII on the Classic and it runs great.

This is what you originally said:

Well, it's far easier to hack then the Nintendo ones. Just stick a flash drive with the games you want in the USB slot and start playing. Maybe it will sell better when word of this gets around.
It is way more involved than that. Period. It might be easy for you or me who have experience with this stuff. But, that is not plug and play like you implied. It is read up how to do it, watch some Youtube tutorials, spend anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours setting up your files (depending on how many games you want).

Not easy for Joe NoGamer. This revelation won’t affect sales.

PSFan

This is what you originally said:

It is way more involved than that. Period. It might be easy for you or me who have experience with this stuff. But, that is not plug and play like you implied. It is read up how to do it, watch some Youtube tutorials, spend anywhere from 5 minutes to 3 hours setting up your files (depending on how many games you want).

Not easy for Joe NoGamer. This revelation won’t affect sales.

I was saying it is far easier than having to hook the console to your computer, flash it and add games via that connection, like you have to do with the Nintendo minis. Joe NoGamer will have a much harder time and more of a risk of messing up his console trying to set up Hakchi on the one of the Nintendo minis. You don't have to do anything to the console itself with the PS Classic hack.

Laplasakos

Not surprised, impressions were very bad before the launch of the system.

Hope this doesn't kill the chances of a PS2 Classic.

dolabla

There's now a (upcoming) way to play with your Dualshock controller (and a host of other controllers) on this thing. 8Bitdo is releasing this Bluetooth adapter for $19.99: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L334WXC/?tag=neogaf0e-20

61EGFHI8MjL._AC_.jpg

71IhD3aiLHL._AC_.jpg

91HxH-1c6ML._AC_.jpg

cryptoadam

Banned
Not doing damage control but 120 000 is not really that bad, just can't match Nintendo. And its actually a lot better than I thought it would be TBH.

ITs not as hot as the NES/SNES, but this thing probably cost Sony 5$ so they are making a ton on em. For how crappy it is as a product those are good sales. I expect it to drop off a cliff but if they can sell 500K of these world wide it would be a moderate success.

Grinchy

Banned
They should´ve put PS One Classics as a category on PS4 instead of wasting time and resources with this cheap knock off.

I wonder which is more profitable and I'm siding more with this mini console. At least judging by the Nintendo mini consoles, even people who may not have cared about playing the old roms were interested in the novelty.

For the PS1 classic, every person is in for a $100 retail purchase. Compare that to the assumed smaller group of people who would care about buying single classics through PSN to play on their PS4 and think about how many of those classics it would take them to get to $100 worth. Obviously Sony sells these to retailers for less than $100, but you get my point.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
That actually look like a pretty decent sales figure to me overall, it just sold less than the Nintendo ones.

I think some people are a bit reaching on this one just to fuel console wars.

Love your thumbnail. 2nd favorite movie of all time. R.I.P. Kevin Spacey. IRL and in the movie

People actually thought it was going to sell really well? With all of the classic and current games available now on consoles, mobile and PCs, I’m surprised it sold as many as it did and don’t think it did that bad. The only thing about 3d games is imo they rarely age as gracefully as 2d games visually and gameplay-wise.

dirthead

Banned
Sorry Sony, people don’t have the same nostalgia for your products as they do Nintendo games. Lesson learned!

Honestly, the NES Mini was a dog shit product too. I don't think nostalgia as much as blind fanboyism. Fanboy freaks buy any trash Nintendo squats and squeezes out.

El_Belmondo

Honestly, the NES Mini was a dog shit product too. I don't think nostalgia as much as blind fanboyism. Fanboy freaks buy any trash Nintendo squats and squeezes out.

It wasn't. It has some sound issues, but it's nowhere near as shitty as the Ps mini.

And yeah, that fanboy comment was uncalled for.

Last edited:

Fahdis

It wasn't. It has some sound issues, but it's nowhere near as shitty as the Ps mini.

He's right though. I don't see any other fans foaming at the mouths more than Nintendo's, it's so annoying. I don't think he called you a fanboy, why are you getting so offended? Does the shoe fit?

Sony fanboys are second following closely by PC elitists. I'm happy though at least Sony folks won't buy trash if there is no quality like this trash product.

Last edited:

El_Belmondo

He's right though. I don't see any other fans foaming at the mouths more than Nintendo's, it's so annoying. I don't think he called you a fanboy, why are you getting so offended? Does the shoe fit?

Sony fanboys are second following closely by PC elitists. I'm happy though at least Sony folks won't buy trash if there is no quality like this trash product.

Am I a fanboy? That's for you to judge, but i sure as hell am tired of generalizations with the Nintendo fandom, moreso when it isn't the fandom that doesn't send death threats to developers for "betraying" them or harass a CM of their own brand to the point of making her close hew personal Twitter account (This happened recently in Spain to the Xbox CM)

Compared to that, the most rabid Nintendo fanboy is innofensive.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
For those following the conversation earlier and interested, I just used Bleemsync to hack my PSX Classic and add games.

It took me 3 hours plus. I haven’t even tested it yet because it’s almost midnight.

So, no. It’s not “Just stick a flash drive with the games you want in the USB slot and start playing”.

It’s more time consuming than that if you want a proper set up.

Last edited:

Fahdis

Am I a fanboy? That's for you to judge, but i sure as hell am tired of generalizations with the Nintendo fandom, moreso when it isn't the fandom that doesn't send death threats to developers for "betraying" them or harass a CM of their own brand to the point of making her close hew personal Twitter account (This happened recently in Spain to the Xbox CM)

Compared to that, the most rabid Nintendo fanboy is innofensive.

I didn't call you a fanboy. You yourself are to judge and contrary to your beliefs what I see in the "Nintendo Fandom" is literally the opposite of what your saying. Watching BOTW reviews was the last straw for me.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Turned out be a rather amazing device and prolonged by the, as always, fantastic homebrew community. You should speak with some of them. I did, and they are wonderful people putting in their love and soul into these things.

The bolded tells me you aren't really interested in fact finding or any nuance in your opinion. I wish atleast you gave us the opportunity to look at your work and address it appropiately.

Its his thing, sort to say. Im no fan of consistent negativity like that however.

If you are geniunely asking him why he is responding to it, then it makes little sense to ask a provocative question thereafter. It implies your statement isn't honest and you want to rile someone up.

In what way is Dirthead right other than that it highlights how important nuance is? You tell me. The Classic's aren't Trash in my book. I must be a defendist then. ;)

Ontopic: Its not strange the console is to a rocky start - Its simply not a quality product at this stage, even for Japan.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
PS1 games have aged horribly.

It's not like NES, or SNES games.. Not by a mile.

Top Bottom