• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Game Size: Horizon Zero Dawn receives 60 FPS PS5 update

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
UC4 is 60fps in multiplayer, so with luck it won't be too tough to do this in the main game.
UC4 already ran at around 37 fps average at the PSX show where they showed it running at an unlocked framerate on the base PS4. Seeing as how TLG and GoW's unlocked framerate modes run the game at a locked 60 fps and 4kcb, it's fair to assume UC4's 1440p mode wouldve easily run the game at 60 fps 1440p. All they have to do is unlock the framerate.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
Just fired it back up to try this out. Transformative- i'm jealous of those who get to experience this game from start to finish this way.

60FPS really is a game changer many console games have been missing out on forever. It breathes new life in to so many games.

Really want to see the obvious Bloodborne although that is a remaster now by the sounds of it, but also RDR2, that would tempt me to go straight back in to that world in a heartbeat.

jeffyjaixx

Completely forgot that Sony gave away the complete edition for Spring this year. I haven't played the DLC either so I jumped in today to try to grind the platinum and play the DLC for the first time. Still stunning 4 years later.

MikeM

60FPS really is a game changer many console games have been missing out on forever. It breathes new life in to so many games.

Really want to see the obvious Bloodborne although that is a remaster now by the sounds of it, but also RDR2, that would tempt me to go straight back in to that world in a heartbeat.

Agreed. Hell- 120 fps is what I am addicted to now (COD CW and WZ, Doom Eternal). I struggle with 30fps now- I just can't do it.

As for RDR2- its on my backlog. I'm holding out for a 60fps patch, but its R* so it likely won't happen.

Kupfer

I just started it up again after playing through it 2 years ago including platinum. Frozen wilds I did not start then because I wanted to play the main story first. Now, after half an hour on the PS5 with 60 fps I must say that it plays well, but it's done for me. I have no idea of the game anymore, what I have to collect and what not, which weapons and modifications are important and which are not, how I fight effectively and so on. And honestly, before I now have to teach me everything again and play the first hours of games for an 11 year old, I rather let it be and wallow in the good memories of the main game.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I think we should follow the designers vision.

I was more focusing on you seeming to imply that it's weird for a third person game but normal for a first person game. In both cases they impact the gameplaty so why only bring up the designers vision for first person ones?

manzo

After one evening with 60fps, I wish I could switch back to 30fps. After playing almost 95% of the game through, all my timings in battle are now harder to pull off. Movement and animations somehow feel off. The movieness of the game now changed to videogamey. For me, the game just doesn’t feel right anymore.

Maybe starting the entire game in 60fps would’ve alleviated this. This has to be the first game I have ever played to have 60fps not feel good. For The Last Of Us, it was a mindblower. For God of War, same. But for Horizon, something just doesn’t work anymore for me.

Orion2

Banned
any problems from the PC version present in the game now? also what's up with the "fixed streaming issues" patch note, did the game have texture streaming issues on PS5 BC like Shadow of the Colossus has?
and I'm seeying a lot of talk about drastic popin, was this present on ps4pro too and now people are noticing it ot is it new?
also the game had two modes, 4k checkerboard and 1368p native with betterr gapphics, are those enchanced graphics from the performance mode included in this 4k checkerboard/60 mode? anybody can verify this?

Shmunter

After one evening with 60fps, I wish I could switch back to 30fps. After playing almost 95% of the game through, all my timings in battle are now harder to pull off. Movement and animations somehow feel off. The movieness of the game now changed to videogamey. For me, the game just doesn’t feel right anymore.

Maybe starting the entire game in 60fps would’ve alleviated this. This has to be the first game I have ever played to have 60fps not feel good. For The Last Of Us, it was a mindblower. For God of War, same. But for Horizon, something just doesn’t work anymore for me.
Lol

manzo

Thanks for the thoughtful input. I'm also laughing at you; who are you to think that there is only one option for everyone.

I'm not arguing that which is in general better. Of course higher framerates are desirable in games as a get-go. I'm however arguing that after spending 61 hours on a game, having to play the rest of the game with FORCED different settings is something I'm against. This changes the gameplay dynamics for me. It feels like a From Software game hack where the entire gameplay with animation rigging, timings etc. are now off. The 60fps update while looking better makes the gameplay different. That's what I'm against. This would've been fully alleviated with a possibility to change the graphics mode between 60fps/30fps like in Last of Us. Now I can't choose anymore to play the game as it was originally made (not arguing was it intended by Guerilla, but a lot of timing and flow of the gameplay WAS made with 30fps in mind).

Last edited:

Shmunter

Thanks for the thoughtful input. I'm also laughing at you; who are you to think that there is only one option for everyone.

I'm not arguing that which is in general better. Of course higher framerates are desirable in games as a get-go. I'm however arguing that after spending 61 hours on a game, having to play the rest of the game with FORCED different settings is something I'm against. This changes the gameplay dynamics for me. It feels like a From Software game hack where the entire gameplay with animation rigging, timings etc. are now off. The 60fps update while looking better makes the gameplay different. That's what I'm against. This would've been fully alleviated with a possibility to change the graphics mode between 60fps/30fps like in Last of Us. Now I can't choose anymore to play the game as it was originally made (not arguing was it intended by Guerilla, but a lot of timing and flow of the gameplay WAS made with 30fps in mind).
Relax man, I meant nothing by it. More amused at your predicament than anything else.

iHaunter

I was more focusing on you seeming to imply that it's weird for a third person game but normal for a first person game. In both cases they impact the gameplaty so why only bring up the designers vision for first person ones?
Because it's weird for a 3-rd person game and normal for a first person one.

Hey man, don't feel bad. I'm a 30fps advocate as well. I wish they would've kept the option to use 30fps like God of War and TLOU2. Feels kinda forced on us when they just change it and say "Hey, now the game is completely different than what it was just because you bought a PS5!" They did the same thing with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Days Gone. There's no way to go back to 30fps anymore.

In my opinion, some games looks and feel better when they run like movies. It makes the gameplay look more epic and (I hate using this word) cinematic (cringe).

Like when they released the Uncharted Collection, the game didn't feel right anymore. It's just floaty and arcade-like now. Same thing with TLOU1 remaster... it totally ruins the gritty tone of the game by having it floaty and arcady. At least in TLOU1, you could use 30fps mode, but that screwed up the shadows.

I dunno man, I feel like you and me are just the minority now. Everyone else seems to be like "OMG! 60fps!"

Also, we're in the stage of cross-gen games, of course the frame rate will be higher on PS5, but I don't expect that trend to last, especially when they focus primarily on next gen tech and turning the graphics up to unbelievable levels. We'll be back to 30fps before we know it and devs will be like "Our game has to run at 30fps, because it's too technically demanding to run at 60 with all the effects and physics we put in."

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
And free

Star Trek Applause GIF

Shmunter

Hey man, don't feel bad. I'm a 30fps advocate as well. I wish they would've kept the option to use 30fps like God of War and TLOU2. Feels kinda forced on us when they just change it and say "Hey, now the game is completely different than what it was just because you bought a PS5!" They did the same thing with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Days Gone. There's no way to go back to 30fps anymore.

In my opinion, some games looks and feel better when they run like movies. It makes the gameplay look more epic and (I hate using this word) cinematic (cringe).

Like when they released the Uncharted Collection, the game didn't feel right anymore. It's just floaty and arcade-like now. Same thing with TLOU1 remaster... it totally ruins the gritty tone of the game by having it floaty and arcady. At least in TLOU1, you could use 30fps mode, but that screwed up the shadows.

I dunno man, I feel like you and me are just the minority now. Everyone else seems to be like "OMG! 60fps!"

Also, we're in the stage of cross-gen games, of course the frame rate will be higher on PS5, but I don't expect that trend to last, especially when they focus primarily on next gen tech and turning the graphics up to unbelievable levels. We'll be back to 30fps before we know it and devs will be like "Our game has to run at 30fps, because it's too technically demanding to run at 60 with all the effects and physics we put in."
Man, that’s a hell of a condition to be afflicted with. My sympathies.

I would say more a peculiar taste. But yes, it’s rare so worthy of note.
I've been console gaming for years and 30fps never bothered me.

I also played on PC @144Hz with FreeSync and I still don't mind going back to 30fps.

30fps will always bring the best visuals to the table, not just with resolution, but with physics, destruction, particles and lighting. This will never not be the case on consoles.

Shmunter

I also played on PC @144Hz with FreeSync and I still don't mind going back to 30fps.

30fps will always bring the best visuals to the table, not just with resolution, but with physics, destruction, particles and lighting. This will never not be the case on consoles.
Where as for me, this game has simply been transformed with 60.

manzo

I don’t care either what the framerate is, I play the game. I play Rainbow 6 Siege in 1080p 120hz on PS5 as it enhances the gameplay to be more responsive. In R6 30fps would definitely change the game logic, timings etc to a totally different game. Same can be said about console Overwatch vs PC Overwatch. Completely different games.

I mostly hear the complaining of 30fps from PC folks where it’s completely understandable. With monitors and their near nothing picture processing, 30fps is a god-awful juddery mess. Mouse and keyboard controls with 30fps is horrible. This is not a problem with a good TV and with a controller.

It’s about how the game was designed. If for 60fps, then it should be played at 60fps or higher. If 30fps, then at 30fps.

I started The Last of Us directly at 60fps and didn’t find issues with it. But I understand if you’re used to play it in 30fps with 30fps timing and logic, moving to 60fps doesn’t necessarily bring you that WOW moment. For Horizon, I was first happy that fucking nice, 60fps but after trying it out, I was like “yeah, no thanks.” Now I can’t change it back. I got used to 30, I want to play at 30. Give people who want the possibility to play at 60 as they might enjoy it more. But don’t force everyone to change mid-game just because of a patch.

Last edited:
People want to play at 30fps?, wtf is going on here, i could not stand playing at 30fps with so much motion blur, now i can play it after all these years,

That's not really how it works.

Here is an example (that can be done similarly on many console games, using a hacked console):

Open engine.ini
add
[/script/engine.engine]
FrameRateCap=30

and it should be Uncapped now.

This is not magic, they use this to test during development, fiddle with different graphical settings and settle on what they consider the right performance/looks configuration, probably very close to release.

Here is an example (that can be done similarly on many console games, using a hacked console):

This is not magic, they use this to test during development, fiddle with different graphical settings and settle on what they consider the right performance/looks configuration, probably very close to release.
This isn't the case for every game. There are games where they tie physics directly to the frame rate, so changing the frame rate would mess up a lot of things in that case. I'm not sure about Horizon Zero Dawn because I didn't work on the game obviously, but I've heard from other developers that it's not always as easy as editing a config file and boom you're done.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Yeah same here. 60fps is obviously better. 120 even better but if it has to be 30, I don't care much.
Some games handle 30 amazingly like uncharted 4. That said - I still hope we will see 60fps patch.
I never understand people saying - once you go 120/144/240 etc you cannot go back... you can. Easily. Play for 1 hours and you will forget about fps. Or lock to 20fps for 5 minutes and then unlock to 30. You will feel like you jumped to 240fps :D Brains are interesting

Yeah same here. 60fps is obviously better. 120 even better but if it has to be 30, I don't care much.
Some games handle 30 amazingly like uncharted 4. That said - I still hope we will see 60fps patch.
I never understand people saying - once you go 120/144/240 etc you cannot go back... you can. Easily. Play for 1 hours and you will forget about fps. Or lock to 20fps for 5 minutes and then unlock to 30. You will feel like you jumped to 240fps :D Brains are interesting
Yeah I could go directly from playing Rocket League at 144Hz to playing Uncharted 4 at 30fps no problem. I also thoroughly enjoyed TLOU2 on my PS4 Pro (although I had to use headphones to hear the audio 😉 ) Frame rate doesn't automatically make a bad game good, but it also doesn't automatically make a good game bad either.

This isn't the case for every game. There are games where they tie physics directly to the frame rate, so changing the frame rate would mess up a lot of things in that case. I'm not sure about Horizon Zero Dawn because I didn't work on the game obviously, but I've heard from other developers that it's not always as easy as editing a config file and boom you're done.
Horizon has a PC version, that should give you all the information you need for this game, as for UC 4 the early demos that ran with an unlocked frame rate and a fan made it run at 60fps on a base PS4 by lowering other settings in a way similar to the example I gave, that should tell you what you need to know about this game.

Also Bloodborne has an unlocked version that works on a hacked PS4, just like Uncharted 4.

I don't think many (if any) game that runs on a modern engine (I.E. made after the year 2000) has its logic attached to how fast the game runs. Even if that was the case, fans were able to decompile Mario 64 and change the code accordingly (something Nintendo is too lazy to do), it's not impossible, just a bit harder.

Finding that kind of hardcoded logic in a code base and fixing it is likely to not that complex, dive that to the summer intern and that will be done.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Pfft. Says you. The human eye can't see higher than 30fps 60fps.
haha. My eyes must be weird then. I remember owning a 240hz monitor about 4 years ago... and I remember doom 2016 looked exactly the same 240fps without motion blur as 60hz with motion blur. Of course it felt oceans different :p
Good Motion blur/slow shutter speed can cheat motion and therefore the brain quite well.
Look a the chain rotating. Same fps

Last edited:
Horizon has a PC version, that should give you all the information you need for this game
Umm. The pc version had lots of issues when it launched due to some elements like hair and cloth were capped at 30fps. They eventually fixed it, but the hair moves as one big blob instead of more granular. So yeah, there were parts of the game where physics were tied to the frame rate.

Also, Bloodborn wasn’t a simple thing to be hacked either it took a lot of work to get it to work correctly at 60fps.

I agree about uncharted though since multiplayer still has 60fps and the fact that TLOU2 had a frame rate patch on the same engine.

Last edited:

Shmunter

Umm. The pc version had lots of issues when it launched due to some elements like hair and cloth were capped at 30fps. They eventually fixed it, but the hair moves as one big blob instead of more granular. So yeah, there were parts of the game where physics were tied to the frame rate.

Also, Bloodborn wasn’t a simple thing to be hacked either it took a lot of work to get it to work correctly at 60fps.

I agree about uncharted though since multiplayer still has 60fps and the fact that TLOU2 had a frame rate patch on the same engine.
Curious, everything seems intact on the PS5 bc version. Wonder it they had to put in any elbow grease into it or if the issues were purely port related in the way it was handled.

Last edited:

We all have our preferences. For instance, I will always prefer to play games on 1080p ultra 60fps rather than 4k.

Top Bottom