• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Home Shuts Down in 7 Days (March 31, 2015)

Cels

I downloaded PSHome to get the free PS1 games:

Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Destruction Derby, RE:Director's Cut

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
I thought it was shit* but I'm looking forward to the Giant Bomb coverage of the closure.

edit -*apart from the free games

Tapejara

Damn. I was there in the early days and always hoped for it to be the next big thing. It was still pretty successful and I had my fun when I was on it. I did spend a bit too much money on virtual chairs and clothes than I wanted to but there was plenty of free stuff. Hopefully Sony tries create something new with a similar idea but different execution.

I remember reading last year about it's closure being in the future. I planned to get on to get the trophies but I think I'll just pass now.

You can't get all of the trophies now anyway. One of them requires you to sign in on fifty different days, and unfortunately it only counts days since the trophy patch.

BizzyBum

This was a great idea executed horribly.

Yep. Did it ever make it out of beta? lol

I remember when they first announced this I thought it was going to be the game changer Sony needed to dominate the Xbox 360. Jesus could I have been more wrong about that one... LOL

Did anyone here actually spend money on it? I remember they used to charge for outfits and shit. I guarantee you people spent hundreds on there and now it's just going poof. Not even trying an upgraded version for the PS4. Ice cold, Sony.

Roto13

I unlocked a costume from PixelJunk Shooter. It's one of those little scientist survivor dudes you collect. I am proud of it.

Last year, I logged in a bunch of times to get the trophy for playing on 50 different days. Sometimes I actually explored. There was quite a bit of stuff there, compared to when it launched.

I barely ever used it, but someday I'm going to get nostalgic for it.

Reule

You can't get all of the trophies now anyway. One of them requires you to sign in on fifty different days, and unfortunately it only counts days since the trophy patch.
Yeah, I saw that. Should've been on that once they launched the patch.

I'll say this...

The Siren: Blood Curse haunted house space was fucking awesome.

When the crazy sexists, immature kids, music blasters and racists got in Home, and started acting absurd, Sony countered by eliminating proximity voice chat...

That was the day that Home died... Those people will exist anywhere, and something needed to be done.... However, the coolest thing about Home was just walking up to someone and being able to voice chat with them instantly... It didn't last long before it was removed, but it was fun...

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Red Dead Redemption, Lords of Shadow, Tekken 6, Disgaea, Tomb Raider, White Knight Chronicles, Sonic Adventure, Arkham Asylum, and many others did the same thing.

That the newest Tomb Raider? Rest of those are all older stuff I already knew about.

kingwingin

The waiting in line to play bowling or arcades was so dumb.

Maybe I'll jump on to see what's up, haven't touched it in like 6 years so it would be cool to see what's changed

Laws00

I want a ps4 homes

man i was in the beta before it came out

loved it

I remember when they had mics and voice chats. that shit was great till A holes abused it

GoaThief

Might have to get on there to get some screenshots of my phatty candy rave pants.

Only "game" I've seen them in, boo.

USC-fan

Banned
Coolest thing was being able to visit sony e3 booth.

With VR this could have been a cool thing.

Crazy thing is that Home had a very hardcore following. Was playing a game with a guy one day and was telling me about the different "gangs" in home. It was crazy....

BHK3

Banned
I remember having a female avatar, created it for fun so I can have a boy and a girl avatar. I went into the plaza square when it wasn't that populated and saw a man and woman avatar in the far corner sitting next to each other. I went up to them and started listening to their convos before I started talking.

Me: "WHO is she?"

Guy+Girl: "?"

Me: "You said you were gonna play Warhawk at 6 and here you are with another girl...I'm done..."

The guy claimed innocence but the girl he was with wasn't having it, they argued via text all chat for about 20 minutes before the girl turned into the shelled ghost she was and vanished, logging out. I switched to my guy avatar and said I was sorry but it was too funny. Guy: "No, it's ok...I think it's for the best anyway...I should be doing other things"

Aside from playing chess and namco games that was the only time I talked with someone in Home.

Rest in pieces.

I cannot not remember a single positive experience from this service in the entirety of it's existence.

And before someone mentions those damn E3 rooms like they always do, no, the video player was a catastrophe and barely functioned.

USC-fan

Banned
And before someone mentions those damn E3 rooms like they always do, no, the video player was a catastrophe and barely functioned.

like most thing YMMV but i have great internet and never had problem with video or really anything on home during E3. Think i got a free $5 out of it for checking it out.

I had better get that fucking gold Trophy. Any day now.

PS Home was, is and always will be the biggest joke of the seventh gen, profitability be damned.

Let us look back at the joy that it brought us...

*cricket noises*

I had some awesome games of chess in the mall when it first game out. And a couple of semi awesome bowling games.

And then I danced in a group, watched movie in a group and heckled others then...... then......

Realized how pointless it was and never used it again.

Sol1dus

Not gonna lie, as soon as I got my PS3 in 09 I tried out Home and met a really cool dude. We ended up always playing online games together and we're even facebook buddies. Super chill.

I met other people but after a couple of years I just deleted them.

Oh, wow. This is the first time I've thought of Playstation Home in years. What a crazy thought to be having in my head right now. Ah well, it had a good run (?)

Oppo

We will hail Home as the predecessor to Oculus powered Facebook.

the Wipeout Museum was almost cool.

edit - ok maybe "hail" isn't the best word

I really think that a rebooted Home on the PS4 without all of the horrific technical shortcomings of the PS3 could be really cool. A better, more appealing art style would do wonders as well. I'm sure Sony is hesitant to continue something Phil Harrison led the charge on, but it did end up being a healthy source of income for them.

rpmurphy

People spent years, years, defending this as a killer app of the PS3.

Years.
Makes me glad to be a late-comer to PS3 and having games to play rather than this.

I guess it was supposed to latch onto the Second Life craze and all the other clones of the social parlor simulator type that came around that time?

I had fun decorating my personal spaces with weird shit, my current and likely final masterpiece:
Ny2r9V8.jpg

w5xirBl.jpg

1hYcaXh.jpg

Nosgotham

I loved home! Spent about 10 hours a week in there. Until they tried to change it up and ruined the spirit of it.

I made good friends and a few enemies.
I know that a lot of the spaces were just fancy marketing tools but playing the ganes and unlocking the rewards was just great.

I want a new home with an mmo style cohesive world with all the space stuff they promised back in the day.

Top Bottom