• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Jim Ryan wants people to know he doesn’t hate old games

EDMIX

I've let go of this due to cell architecture, but my question is:

Why are Resistance 1 and 2, and Killzone 2 and 3, stuck as disc-only games?

To be fair, for all we know those games are being remade for PS5 by Bluepoint or made in some collection by them or something. PS4 generation saw a lot of work done by Bluepoint that I feel made more sense then Killzone or Resistance.

Shadow Of The Colossus remake makes sense, Uncharted collection makes sense, by the time they finished all that, they got the job to do Demon Souls remake for PS5, so maybe they just didn't have the time. Need I remind people the importance of a QUALIY team doing such things, hint hint...Silent Hill collection on PS3 and 360 lol

I think over time you'll see many of those games get remastered which I feel makes more sense then BC imho. Porting to PS4 allows it to be played on PS5 and on x86 shit in the future, its probably a better set up then trying to get Cell to work with crap and we end up getting better versions anyway.

So I'll take a remake of Resistance 1, Killzone 1 or something in the future from Bluepoint if Sony buys them and expands the team or something. Who knows, we might be saying this now and they are currently actually doing a remake of one of those games.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Can't wait to see what Jim Ryan has planned for the PS Vita 10 year anniversary gonna be a real blast no doubt

yZHqmn.gif

RoboFu

One of the green rats
If the ps5 had ps1 games and you could buy them on psn I would pay scalper prices today!

ZehDon

Imagine being the President of PlayStation, the gaming company that walked into Nintendo's domain and crushed every single competitor who's ever tried to challenge you, and needing to reiterate that you actually don't hate the games that built the company you're president of. What a strange PR situation Ryan has walked himself into.

In any case, I hope this is Jim prepping folks for an announcement. Sony announcing PS1 and PS2 backwards compatibility - even if its just re-buying digital versions of their games from the store - would be a massive win for PlayStation and PlayStation fans. If they went all in and announced disc based backward compatibility, I'd pre-order a PS5 that very minute.

Last edited:

Kerotan

We just need a motorstorm, resistance and killzone collection on ps5. Also mgs4. After that no need for a PS3 emulator. Ps1 and ps2 on the other hand we need more games.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
^This Jim, you fucking twat!!!

Who's going to do the ports exactly?

Insomniac might want to, but they've been busy with Miles Morales, PS5 Spiderman, and Ratchet & Clank. Bluepoint have been busy on Demon's Souls and whatever else they are working on, so that's the two most favored options out the window. Who's left? Qloc and the like who work to hire for everyone...

Get your head around the fact that development resources are finite, and porting and QA-ing 3 games is no small task.

Agent X

Selling games for pennies on the dollar that have no DLC/MTX that takes people's time away from more expensive modern games is just not their business.

Read between the lines.

We're talking about hundreds of games that were already fully developed years ago. All that's needed is publisher approval, followed by the QA process to ensure the games work satisfactorily under the emulator. It's practically free money.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
He was only talking about Gran Turismo at the time but let's pretend he was talking about all games in Playstation's history for maximum damage.

This is exactly like the "we believe in generations" quote where people only reported half of it for fake outrage. He litterally said he would support the PS4 for years in the same paragraph.

"By the way, it's also not coincidence that I am trying to backtrack what I said when there's hardly any PS5 only games. So yes, I think BC gaming is great now. Whether I re-backtrack or not 3 years from now when it's all PS5 only games, I'll get back to you on that in 2024"
Show me where he backtracked. All the other X-fans fled like rats anytime I asked. You were one of the most active in all the threads. Here's the quote. Show me.

"It's been a real rollercoaster of a year," Ryan tells us. "We realised a couple of months ago that we were going to have to spend a lot more time paying attention to the PS4 community than we had anticipated, as that community, along with everybody else in the world, went into lockdown.

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s. And that community is demonstrating an amazing stickiness, and willingness to stay engaged that, I think, the events of the past few months have just reinforced what we knew already.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He was only talking about Gran Turismo at the time but let's pretend he was talking about all games in Playstation's history for maximum damage.

This is exactly like the "we believe in generations" quote where people only reported half of it for fake outrage. He litterally said he would support the PS4 for years in the same paragraph.

Show me where he backtracked. All the other X-fans fled like rats anytime I asked. You were one of the most active in all the threads. Here's the quote. Show me.
If he really believes in generations, then why do the GT blurb and why have Sony's biggest franchises announced for PS5 so far (Spidey MM, Horizon, GT, God of War) be all cross gen, and that other Sony exec in the other thread says cross gen is for another 3 years?

Even if you only focused on GT only, GT7 is still cross gen.

Relax Gods&Monsters. You don't have to defend the CEO and brand every second.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
PS1 compatibility would be SO FUCKING EASY to do... like SO EASY... ridiculously easy... a tiny super cheap throwaway chip can emulate PS1 at 4x resolution no problem (talking about Raspberry Pie 3 for example)
even PS2 compatibility should be no issue for at least the 700 games that already run pretty much perfectly on a modded PS4 using THEIR EXISTING IN-HOUSE EMULATOR

They want to milk you instead 🥛

Buckle up

GhostOfTsu

Banned
If he really believes in generations, then why do the GT blurb and why have Sony's biggest franchises announced for PS5 so far (Spidey MM, Horizon, GT, God of War) be all cross gen, and that other Sony exec in the other thread says cross gen is for another 3 years?

Even if you only focused on GT only, GT7 is still cross gen.
?

Irrelevant. Show me in the quote where he said there would be no more support for PS4 and no cross-gen. You're just taking "we believe in generations" at face value without reading the rest where he explains what it meant.

You've been starting threads, making dozens of posts and a poll about this without understanding the full quote?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
?

Irrelevant. Show me in the quote where he said there would be no more support for PS4 and no cross-gen. You're just taking "we believe in generations" at face value without reading the rest where he explains what it meant.

You've been starting threads, making dozens of posts and a poll about this without understanding the full quote?
I'm not the only who made fun of Jim's "we believe in generations" and his statement about who wants to play old gen GT games. Lots of gamers have the same view.

We all know he did that to hype of PS5, while purposely delaying telling gamers cross gen games for Spidey, Sackboy, Horizon 2, Ragnarok and GT7 later. With Ragnarok and GT7 being told they are cross gen a year after the summer 2020 show.

You protect the Sony brand at all costs.

Maybe you should ask Jim Ryan himself why an exec would rag on old GT games years ago, and not tell gamers it's cross gen (like Ragnaork) until a year later when they could had told gamers straight up last summer these are cross gen games the whole time.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can't wait to see what Jim Ryan has planned for the PS Vita 10 year anniversary gonna be a real blast no doubt

yZHqmn.gif
He'll probably just repeat what the other Sony exec said way back when Vita was on the market for only a year.

"We are re-focusing all first party studios to work on console"

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
At some point they understand it fully well, but they are interested to use it and abuse it to console war with. Seeing how he is latching onto this and linking to it and adding it to the same out of context / partial and stretched generations quote to form a new set of talking points make me think this is either emotional rage or disingenuous console warring.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm not the only who made fun of Jim's "we believe in generations"
I get that, it is still a joke working only when you quote things out of context and it becomes misleading and great for warring only. The quote is abused and quote disingenuously referred to now, almost dismissing arguments automatically when things are latched onto it.

Maybe you should ask Jim Ryan himself why an exec would rag on old GT games years ago, and not tell gamers it's cross gen (like Ragnaork) until a year later when they could had told gamers straight up last summer these are cross gen games the whole time.
The two things, good for quick console war talking points, are not related though: his idiotic and condescendingly made comment on GT1/2 and the approach to mixed exclusive and cross generation games for PS5 which is being blown out of proportion (rather than being in line with how PlayStation, for 20+ years, has supported console generation transitions: strong support for the previous generation even late in the cycle and new exclusive software… both areas where PS5 is also delivering strongly).

Spider-man, Sackboy, and other titles were announced to be cross generation before the console came out and the rea big surprises were GT7 and Ragnarok somewhat (GT7 according to Sony has changed target mid development as the pandemic began and Ragnarok also had setbacks due to the COVID impacted motion/performance capture sessions the game relies on too).

SkylineRKR

GT is a franchise I wouldn't revisit. When I bought 3 I never replayed the first 2 anymore and after Sport I wouldn't play the PS2 and PS3 versions. But there are many other PS2 games worth replaying still. Its weird that Sony doesn't bother to offer those on a service or just price them. Sony's legacy goes much further back than MS but their intent to preserve is questionable.

The likes of R-Type Delta, Einhander, Klonoa.. those are PS1 games still rather playable.

Withnail

PS1 compatibility would be SO FUCKING EASY to do... like SO EASY... ridiculously easy... a tiny super cheap throwaway chip can emulate PS1 at 4x resolution no problem (talking about Raspberry Pie 3 for example)
even PS2 compatibility should be no issue for at least the 700 games that already run pretty much perfectly on a modded PS4 using THEIR EXISTING IN-HOUSE EMULATOR

You expect the ability to play ROMs? Lmao.

They spent the whole PS3 gen trying to get PS1 games relicensed for digital distribution and probably got 100 at best, most of which weren't worth the effort. Not sure what you think has changed since then.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Sony are sat on a goldmine of classic games from previous consoles. I'm sure people would buy classic games from the PS1,2,3 era if they were available on the PS Store. Sounds like easy money

Reactions: TLZ

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
and PS1? come on... my fucking right testicle can emulate PS1 at this point
Do you call it Testation?

By the way, what can your left testicle emulate?

Seriously, at this point I don't even know why people keep wanting to give Sony money for official rereleases. There's tons of other - and better - ways to get and play those games, including (ironically) the latest MS consoles. Sony's BC never came with extra features too, so the best you could expect is a barebones emulator with no options for upscaling/filters etc. PS3 could at least be connected via analog video to a CRT, but that's not an option with PS5.

Oh, and judging from the comments I read here every time retro gaming is discussed, the actual audience for PS1 games does seem to give credit to Jim's earlier comments. PS2 may be a different story, but expecting some obscure/niche/cult games that were never commercially successful as BC is unrealistic.

yurinka

where is PS3 bc then
He addressed it in the interview: “What is important to recognize when considering this question about designing a new platform, is that time, engineering resource, and money are all finite, and that important trade-offs have to be made in terms of what’s included, and what’s not,” Ryan said. Ryan is said to have added that PS5’s compatibility with PS4 games was due to fans’ “real desire” for that support.

There was enough player interest and in terms of costs made sense to include PS4. But to include the bizarre PS3 alien hardware that is impossible to emulate would have required too much cost and there wasn't enough player interest to compensate it.

Im quite sure why they dont release PS1-PS2 classics and flood PS NOW with them. Even put a time travel tab so that casuals dont get confused.
All PS4 games available on PS Now (and this include the PS2 games available there) are games that are also available in the PSN PS4 and PS5 stores.

People complaining about this not knowing that proves that basically nobody is interested on them, or that the ones complaining are haters/fanboys from other systems spreading FUD.

Bullshit. He added it because of Microsoft.
All PlayStation consoles where BC at launch with the exception of PS4, that wasn't for the same reason PS3 games aren't properly emulated on PS3 or high end PCs.

MS didn't invent that. And when releasing the current gen Sony had over 2x the market share compared to MS, to see MS avoiding to bet on next gen only games during some years, to release all their games on PC since day one and focusing on releasing instead a few crossgen games and to polish a few old BC games was the less threatening plan Sony could have wanted for their console strategy.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
To be fair, for all we know those games are being remade for PS5 by Bluepoint or made in some collection by them or something. PS4 generation saw a lot of work done by Bluepoint that I feel made more sense then Killzone or Resistance.

Shadow Of The Colossus remake makes sense, Uncharted collection makes sense, by the time they finished all that, they got the job to do Demon Souls remake for PS5, so maybe they just didn't have the time. Need I remind people the importance of a QUALIY team doing such things, hint hint...Silent Hill collection on PS3 and 360 lol

I think over time you'll see many of those games get remastered which I feel makes more sense then BC imho. Porting to PS4 allows it to be played on PS5 and on x86 shit in the future, its probably a better set up then trying to get Cell to work with crap and we end up getting better versions anyway.

So I'll take a remake of Resistance 1, Killzone 1 or something in the future from Bluepoint if Sony buys them and expands the team or something. Who knows, we might be saying this now and they are currently actually doing a remake of one of those games.
Honestly makes me hope Bluepoint don't start making original games. I think BC is something Sony needs to be doing, but I love the remakes as well.

Last edited:

SafeOrAlone

Banned
the thing is... THEY HAVE A WORKING PS1 AND PS2 EMULATOR... said PS2 emulator can run more than 700 PS2 games basically perfectly if you mod your PS4... this is not altered in any way. 700 PS2 games is way more than the 600 compatible 360 games the Xbox One has...

tell my why the PS4 and therefore also the PS5 (as the officially released emulated games run perfectly fine on both) are not back compat to at least those 700 games? they already have a working emulator, all they would need to do is make a curated list of games that work with it or improve the emulator... this emulator is after all only made for the 2 dozen games or so they released on PSN, and even still it perfectly runs about 700 games.

and PS1? come on... my fucking right testicle can emulate PS1 at this point

the only platform that would need serious work is the PS3, but that can be done too... but here I would agree that it would be very resource intensive for them.

It is starting to seem like Sony wants to be in control of the games people are playing. This is the new game - buy this.
Stop playing the old games. That doesn't help Sony.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
I'm convinced he has to go now. Look at the way he talks about PS4 backwards compatibility. It sounds like PS5 not playing PS4 games was an actual possiblity. With the digital ecosystems we've built up over the last seven years?

That's the Spirit Bomb of terrible Jimbo quotes.

This guy is absolutely wrong for the Playstation brand. Anyone defending Sony's terrible choices of late are just helping sink the ship.

Last edited:

Duchess

They spent the whole PS3 gen trying to get PS1 games relicensed for digital distribution
I find things like this incredibly odd. It's like how games can be withdrawn from sale because ... reasons.

The game's been finished and made available for sale. Why not just keep it on sale and keep collecting the income?

What are these "licensing issues"? Surely those were already negotiated prior to the game's release? Strikes me as so bizarre that these things have an expiry date attached.

Kagero

I don't think he likes games at all, and that's a problem. He's just a charts guy. At least Phil likes Gears and Nickelback.

Omali

Jim: "We totally support our past. Look at the models our designers made without my input or awareness. Don't look at our attempts to shut down the stores or that we haven't put the ounce of work it'd take to emulate PS1/PS2 games on PS5. Look at those models we spent a week making."

Top Bottom