• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Mobile Developer Program (Vita & Android)

That is silly. Maybe you could make the app "freemium" with one very cheap purchasable item that has no effect on gameplay (cosmetic maybe?) - so then it would technically be free.

It can be something as simple as a level unlock key, I know that new Vita game Star Drone has a 99 cent unlockable that lets you skip any level.

Twinduct

Can people officially write emulators for NES, SNES under this PS suite thingy? Is this Java based?

Feature Additions Planned for the Future
The following features and services will be added by the future version upgrade of SDK.

The service to distribute the created PS Suite applications in PlayStation(R)Store.
Development environment using Visual Studio
Support for programming languages other than C#
Support for model data output from 3D tools other than Maya
Low level audio API
Camera
Position information
Video playback
API for network services
DRM(Digital rights management) and packaging support

Believe!

mr_toa

Yes finally!, I have a lot of hope for this Suite, the fact that they let you test games and apps on a regular Vita is very cool and unexpected tbh.

It's very sweet - I'm currently taking a brief look at the provided samples and documentation and development tools, so far seems very promising.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm trying, in vain, to turn on MSAA in one of the samples. It crashes the dev app on my Vita.

(This explains a lot, amirite)

Also, there's a RSS reader app in the samples folder. Take that, PSP!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cutest SDK sample evar, maybe.

7093003253_99d40fc44b_c.jpg

(This is the gamengine2d puzzledemo if you're looking for it.)

I'm trying, in vain, to turn on MSAA in one of the samples. It crashes the dev app on my Vita.

I'm looking forward to an ePub reader too. I wonder how difficult that would be to make.

orioto

Good Art™
So is that thing going to give everything a struggling console need in term of homebrew, without the risk of any hack and warez ? That would be great.

sajj316

There is a RAM limitation no? Is it 96 MB? The Suite is running virtually as well right?

Feature Additions Planned for the Future
The following features and services will be added by the future version upgrade of SDK.

The service to distribute the created PS Suite applications in PlayStation(R)Store.
Development environment using Visual Studio
Support for programming languages other than C#
Support for model data output from 3D tools other than Maya
Low level audio API
Camera
Position information
Video playback
API for network services
DRM(Digital rights management) and packaging support

Believe!

Ok but can you just code NES emu and upload it? Or is there Sony-based certification like App Store?

It's the one example you (according to the docs) can't run it on Vita though ... Take that Vita ;)

Kamaki

What kind of file support is there for 3d files? It says support for other programs other then Maya coming later, does it support native Maya files?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
There is a RAM limitation no? Is it 96 MB? The Suite is running virtually as well right?

Dunno what the spec of the virtual machine is, but since the API exposes MSAA modes I have to assume it's allowed :p It runs fine on my PC too. I'm guessing some of the other graphicscontext parameters I'm passing are causing a conflict on Vita or something...

It's the one example you (according to the docs) can't run it on Vita though ... Take that Vita ;)

PSP wins again.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
The FeaturesCatalog Graphics2D demo has some nice samples one could build on for 2D games of different types...the isometric demo has a very simple block building thing going on, ala minecraft.

7093034723_976bb47848_c.jpg

7093034929_f0a53bc0b9_c.jpg

2D looks really nice on Vita.

sajj316

Dunno what the spec of the virtual machine is, but since the API exposes MSAA modes I have to assume it's allowed :p It runs fine on my PC too. I'm guessing some of the other graphicscontext parameters I'm passing are causing a conflict on Vita or something...

PSP wins again.

Cool. In this situation, is there documentation/support forums that you can go to get answers and help?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Cool. In this situation, is there documentation/support forums that you can go to get answers and help?

Yeah, the docs are pretty good, and there is a forum open now here. But I might tinker a bit more before reaching out, I'm probably doing something silly... :)

So is that thing going to give everything a struggling console need in term of homebrew, without the risk of any hack and warez ? That would be great.

If you belive that point of homebrew is running custom apps on Vita then yes ;)

But majority of "homebrew" fans from PS3 and PSP won't be too happy.

edit: since i can't download it now - does it include some default models you could use in apps ?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
lol Same here, but I installed the Suite to give it a shot.
Now, where to start? Where can I find that Flight demo, for instance?

If you have the Suite Studio open, go to File -> Open.

Then navigate to the Pss folder in public documents folder. On my machine that's C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pss

Then go to sample\demo\FlightDemo and click on the FlightDemo.sln file, and then Open.

That'll open that sample. To run it on your PC, go to Run -> Run With -> Playstation Suite Simulator.

To run on your Vita you need to download the Suite Dev app on to your Vita, open it, connect your Vita to your PC, and then there should be an option to run on Vita...you might have to twiddle with a drop-down menu first...

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
If you belive that point of homebrew is running custom apps on Vita then yes ;)

But majority of "homebrew" fans from PS3 and PSP won't be too happy.

edit: since i can't download it now - does it include some default models you could use in apps ?

Please tell us why.

I haven't downloaded it yet, but how's the performance of the PC simulator? Is it fast? Or is it really slow, like, say, the Android emulator?

Please tell us why.

Most people enjoy homebrew for one or more of the following:
- tech demos/games/etc that really take advantage of the system
- OS hacks and customizations
- Ports of licensed games like Doom, Quake, Tyrian, TTD, Duke3D...
- IOS/ROM backup loading
- Emulators*
- Piracy

The PS Suite most likely won't allow for any of that.

Plus, you're limited to the SDK... As an example, right now you can't write raw audio to the buffer, and you're only limited to a certain set of audio formats. This means music games and music in mod/xm format is out of the question right now.

With homebrew, there are no limits.

*Emulation is possible, but SNES, Genesis, or higher may not emulate well since it's not native code. And even if they did, who's to say Sony will allow them on the PS Suite?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I haven't downloaded it yet, but how's the performance of the PC simulator? Is it fast? Or is it really slow, like, say, the Android emulator?

- tech demos/games/etc that take advantage of the system
- IOS/ROM backup loading
- Emulators*
- Piracy

The PS Suite most likely doesn't allow for any of that.

*Emulation is possible, but SNES, Genesis, or higher may not emulate well since it's not native code. And even if they did, who's to say Sony will allow them on the PS Suite?

Why not games?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Only tried with a few of the projects, but seems fine. In the FlightDemo I get about the same ms per frame as the Vita. (Dunno if that's because the framerate is locked in that particular demo or if the performance exposed by the VM is just THAT consistent across devices).

magawolaz

If you have the Suite Studio open, go to File -> Open.

Then navigate to the Pss folder in public documents folder. On my machine that's C:\Users\Public\Documents\Pss

Then go to sample\demo\FlightDemo and click on the FlightDemo.sln file, and then Open.

That'll open that sample. To run it on your PC, go to Run -> Run With -> Playstation Suite Simulator.

To run on your Vita you need to download the Suite Dev app on to your Vita, open it, connect your Vita to your PC, and then there should be an option to run on Vita...you might have to twiddle with a drop-down menu first...
Thank you kind sir :3

orioto

Good Art™

Emulators would make the Vita the ultimate game machine. If there is a way to let them happen without risking the integrity of the console, Sony could let that happen after all. I would do it if i were them! Mame on that screen ? OMG

Withnail

Suite is potentially the most interesting thing to come out of Sony for a very long time. Now the SDK is out (even if it's 'beta') Sony need to start spreading the word and finding a way to convince talented coders to use it. Hopefully they are going to make a bit of noise about it at E3 and explain where they see this going. Currently I don't think the tech/gaming press really understand what it is.

Maedhros

Emulators would make the Vita the ultimate game machine. If there is a way to let them happen without risking the integrity of the console, Sony could let that happen after all. I would do it if i were them! Mame on that screen ? OMG

That's just wishful thinking... it's impossible to Sony allow emulators on the machine...

kamorra

Fuck Cancer

- IOS/ROM backup loading
- Emulators*
- Piracy

The PS Suite most likely doesn't allow for any of that. Plus, you're limited to the SDK... As an example, right now you can't write raw audio to the buffer, and you're only limited to a certain set of audio formats. This means music games and music in mod/xm format is out of the question right now.

With homebrew, there are no limits.

Sounds exactly like the super popular HBL for PSP.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Emulators would make the Vita the ultimate game machine. If there is a way to let them happen without risking the integrity of the console, Sony could let that happen after all. I would do it if i were them!

And if you were them and did it, I hope you enjoy the insides of court rooms and losing money out the ass to legal fee's. The PSP exists. Theres lots of them, for cheap, and fulfils most if not all of the usual homebrew emu desires.

Exciting stuff this, hopefully it will spawn some quality stuff. Its sad however to know this wont stop the entitled hackers of the world from "needing" their emu's, iso's, and so forth. Worse still, I hope theres no vulnerability found in the Suite stuff that allows for hacking to occur, forever cementing the "they will always bite the hand that feeds" mentality.

Please tell us why.

Because for every one who wants to run custom apps there are 19 more who want to run games without paying for them.

- Ports of licensed games like Doom, Quake, Tyrian, TTD, Duke3D...
- IOS/ROM backup loading
- Emulators*
- Piracy

Let's be serious here - we know what's the official excuse list for homebrew but it's all about piracy.

Why not games?

Of course homebrew games, too. But IMO there are few good original homebrew games that makes the hacking process worth it. Some exceptions are XBMC and Colors! DS, both of which wouldn't be possible under a similar SDK situation.

Only tried with a few of the projects, but seems fine. In the FlightDemo I get about the same ms per frame as the Vita. (Dunno if that's because the framerate is locked in that particular demo or if the performance exposed by the VM is just THAT consistent across devices).

Thanks, good to hear. Maybe I won't need to get a Vita so soon after all. :p

Sounds exactly like the super popular HBL for PSP.

The Homebrew Launcher runs native code (making high end emulators and cool tech demo stuff feasible) but won't allow you to enter kernel mode (for OS hacks, loaders, etc).

lol what ?

The topics of emulation and piracy, including the technical nature of emulators and ROM images, hardware modification technology, as well as their effect on the industry as a political topic are deemed to be generally acceptable.

Linking to pirate download sites, directions on how to get pirated software to work, reviews or impressions of pirated software will all result in the banning of the user in question.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Show me which TOS point i broken.

It isn't listed in the TOS like many of the banned gifs and memes. But yeah, I just tried to warn you. Do what you want.

edit
This is the last thing I post here but if you interested just type banned for accusing people piracy neogaf in google. You don't even have to click on the results, the important parts are right in the previews.

I don't think this will be really popular, as many know, the most used "homebrew" is the one were you play the game without actually having it in your possession. This way you cannot damage or lose an original game, amirite?

The Vita already allows for this; you can get the games on PSN.

Top Bottom