• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation Plus Game of the Year 2014

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I made this exact thread last year and I figured I might as well do it again this year. Responses should be pretty interesting especially with PS4 being thrown in to the mix now. Plus there's more indies than ever this year, which of course went down oh so well with so many people each month! With the countless free titles we got over the course of the year through PS Plus, I thought it would be interesting to see what GAF thought the best free games we got this year are. To refresh your memory I've got a list below of every game in the instant game collection this year for EU. Not sure how it differs for the US.

Devil May Cry - PS3
Borderlands 2 - PS3
Soul Sacrifice - Vita
Blazblue Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Don't Starve - PS4( also ported to Vita later in the year which was cross buy)
Metro Last Light - PS3
Bioshock Infinite - PS3
Dynasty Warriors Next - Vita
Modnation Racers Road Trip - Vita
Outlast - PS4
Dead Nation - PS4
Tomb Raider - PS3
Brothers A Tale of Two Sons - PS3
Pixeljunk Monsters Ultimate HD - Vita
Smart As - Vita
Mercenary Kings - PS4
Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 - PS3
Sly Cooper Thieves in Time - PS3/Vita
Hotline Miami - PS3/Vita
MotoGP 13 - Vita
Stick it to the Man - PS4
Payday 2 - PS3
Puppeteer - PS3
Muramasa Rebirth - Vita
Everybody's Golf - Vita
Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate - PS4/Vita
Trine 2 - PS4
NBA 2K14 - PS3
Lone Survivor - PS3/Vita
Dragon's Crown - PS3/Vita
Surge Deluxe - Vita
Towerfall Ascension - PS4
Strider - PS4
Dead Space 3 - PS3
Vessel - PS3
Lego Batman 2 - Vita
Doki Doki Universe - PS4/Vita
Road not Taken - PS4
Fez - PS4/Vita
Crysis 3 - PS3
Proteus - PS3/Vita
Metrico - Vita
Lego Harry Potter 2 - Vita
Velocity 2X - PS4/Vita
Sportsfriends - PS3/PS4
PlayStation All Stars Battle Royale - PS3/Vita
Hoard - PS3
TxK - Vita
Joe Danger - Vita
Dust An Elysian Tale - PS4
Spelunky - PS4/PS3/Vita
Batman Arkham Asylum - PS3
Dungeons & Dragons Chronicles of Mystara - PS3
Pix the Cat - PS4/Vita
Rainbow Moon - PS3/Vita
Binding of Isaac Rebirth - PS4/Vita
Steamworld Dig - PS4/Vita
Frozen Synapse Prime - PS3
Luftrausers - PS3/Vita
The Hungry Horde Vita
Escape Plan - PS4/Vita
Injustice Gods Among Us - PS4
Secret Ponchos - PS4
Hitman Trilogy HD - PS3
Deadly Premonition Directors Cut - PS3
Final Horizon - Vita
Titan Attacks - PS3/PS4/Vita

So GAF, what's your favourite free game you got with PS Plus this year? Mine is the same as my actual GOTY. Binding of Issac Rebirth. This game is crack. It's insane how much I've been addicted to it. Though it perhaps isn't the best example of what I think makes Plus great, since this was a game I was always going to get whether it went free or not. I feel PS Plus is at its best when it gives away a game you would have just ignored otherwise. I'd say Brothers A Tale of Two Sons is the perfect example of that since I never would have touched it if it wasn't free, and it was an experience that's going to stick with me.

For me it's between Dragon's Crown, Muramasa Rebirth and Fez, even though I bought all 3 titles the day they came out and not through PS Plus.

Guevara

A ton of great games, but my favorite game from PS+ this year (that I would not have bought anyway) was Stealth Inc.

Slyjss

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth. I haven't played anything else more than an hour since the day it was released.

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
Pix the Cat or Towerfall Ascension. Both games are fantastic.

RalchAC

My PS+ GOTY isMuramasa Rebith. Had a lot of fun during the 30h or so I spent playing it.

The battle system was apparently simple but it was really fun and controlled really well. The enviroments where gorgeous and I liked the atmosphere. Story didn't get in the way (pretty much was go from A to B).

chadskin

Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate, with Stick It To The Man being a close second. Both titles I probably wouldn't have bought and enjoyed so much if it wasn't for PS+.

jmaine_ph

I just looked up Binding of Issac: Rebirth 😱😱😱 Why haven't I played this? It's looks cool!

Velocity 2X

If not for Dragon Age it would be my overall GOTY. I'm not even a huge fan of arcade-type games but Velocity 2X manages to transcend its genre. A true classic imo.

kiyoaki

I only have a PS3. I still feel PS Plus has been mostly worth it this year, even if the overall quality might have dropped a bit.

My favorite Plus game this year was Hotline Miami. Weird, brutal and fun, and something I probably wouldn't have touched it if weren't for PS Plus. The soundtrack was also excellent.

Honorable mentions: Tomb Raider, Brothers, Luftrausers.

Foshy

Spelunky, Towerfall and Hotline Miami are the best, but I already bought those before they went on PS+.

As for my favorite game I got thanks to it...can't decide between Pix The Cat and Velocity 2x.

Fbh

Brothers A Tale of Two Sons

For same reasons as OP. It's one of those games that I wasn't very interested in and only got to play because it was "free" on Ps+. And it was absolutely amazing.

Runner up would be Strider. Just a really fun metroidvania with great gameplay and level design

Top Bottom